Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
If you take a look at photos of people who've been injured by flashbangs, like that kid in the crib a while back, flashbangs leave burn wounds. Potentially very severe ones. They don't blast open your arm down to the bone. Something else caused that and whether the cops were throwing lethal grenades or the girl had an explosive device, someone made a really bad decision.

coyo7e posted:

I've heard zero information about police or military or emergency response vehicles being messed with however it does seem as though more than that one truck owned by the DAPL companies like the one the crazy pool-wading dude with the AR (which was definitely lit on fire after that, to my knowledge, and I think a few more were within the next few days) drove, got torched. I only noticed this though because I was specifically searching to see if there'd been any sabotage of the big expensive construction equipment past having someone chain themselves to it - and there's almost nothing to indicate property damage outside of a few pickup trucks which seem to've gone up in smoke immediately after that guy with the AR went on his mini rampage.

I heard nothing about burned-out vehicles being used to block this particular bridge in the last few days though - the hoses and conc grenades and rubber bullets were supposedly deployed when the protestors tried to clear away a blockade from a bridge but I heard no indications that it was the same bridge that protestors burnt barriers on previously, or that they lit anything on the bridge on fire - drone footage certainly doesn't look like there's much in the way of vehicles or material on the bridge.

Please let me know if and when I'm mistaken on any of this because that's about the best info I've been able to piece together from a buttload of media sources in the last couple weeks - a lot of sources (even "MSM" ones) seem to be radically minimizing the injuries - my local paper had a DAPL story in the bottom corner of the front page today and it read "200 protestors treated for hypothermia after clash with authorities in sub-freezing weather - policeman injured".

According to an article I read on Truth-Out (I know, I know) protestors did burn those vehicles to block the bridge back in October to prevent police access to their camps. Now they're complaining that it's forcing emergency services to divert around the most direct path and the cops are saying the bridge is closed (amongst other reasons) because it may be structurally unsafe due to damage sustained. Good loving job planning ahead and totally not shooting yourselves in the foot, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gozinbulx posted:

I have this feeling like getting hard, factual information about what is going on at DAPL is especially challenging. So many disparate, contradicting accounts.

Can someone who feels more confident in the facts tell me: am I mistaken or does the company building the pipeline not have all the necessary permits to build, specifically from the army corp of engineers? If so, how are they allowed to build? What is the official line on why a project without the necessary permits is allowed to proceed, and vigorously protected while doing so, no less?

IIRC the only thing the Army Corps of Engineers has any say over is the water crossing, and the rest of the project is permitted.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DeusExMachinima posted:

If you take a look at photos of people who've been injured by flashbangs, like that kid in the crib a while back, flashbangs leave burn wounds. Potentially very severe ones. They don't blast open your arm down to the bone. Something else caused that and whether the cops were throwing lethal grenades or the girl had an explosive device, someone made a really bad decision.

According to the protestors, grenade pieces have been removed from her arm during surgery and are being saved for legal proceedings.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
What are the legalities behind using flashbangs and hoses on a crowd? Do they actually have a case? If so, What is the legal way to solve "Hey leave our construction site" "Uhh no i wont".?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

botany posted:

According to the protestors, grenade pieces have been removed from her arm during surgery and are being saved for legal proceedings.

That should be interesting then. But TBH unless I see proof otherwise I'm leaning towards the malfunctioning IED explanation. Professionally-manufactured lethal grenades have a pretty repeatable blast radius so she'd have to have been simultaneously standing away from others and also far enough away from ground zero to only be injured instead of outright killed along with other people.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

What are the legalities behind using flashbangs and hoses on a crowd? Do they actually have a case? If so, What is the legal way to solve "Hey leave our construction site" "Uhh no i wont".?

It's more a question of proportionality and good judgment here than legality. Hoses are legally OK AFAIK but most everyone avoids use of it due to their image from civil rights marches. The cops are claiming that they used the hoses primarily to put out fires. Flashbangs, tasers, CS, batons, rubber bullets, etc etc are also OK as they are less-lethal devices. If you're trespassing or starting fires on someone else's property (and there is no exception for wanting to stay warm or make tea) you're gonna get a response.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
I don't think it is reasonable to expect that people who are engaged in violent protest won't sustain injuries or even casualties when clashing with police, or to expect police to abandon their posts rather than injure violent protesters. It sucks that people are getting hurt but they're putting themselves in harm's way and no one is forcing them to do that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

wateroverfire posted:

IIRC the only thing the Army Corps of Engineers has any say over is the water crossing, and the rest of the project is permitted.
The only permit they still need is from the Army Corps of Engineers. Contrary to the mythology of the protesters, the company is not going to be irreparably harmed if it's delayed through January. The next set of hearings is already scheduled for January 3rd, so nothing is happening until then. The protesters aren't accomplishing poo poo by wallowing in the cold except making themselves feel good because they're TAKING A STAND!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

DeusExMachinima posted:

Dare I even ask how they got burned out in the first place?
The vehicles were burned during a protest in October.
http://www.inforum.com/news/north-dakota/4146976-clash-near-cannon-ball-subsides-protesters-law-enforcement-report
I wish I had a better play by play of 11/19, but this article does mention that some protesters tried to remove those burned vehicles from the road.
http://www.inforum.com/news/4163612-26-dapl-protesters-seriously-injured-tense-standoff-police

The police are saying they saw 3 people hiding with propane tanks, an explosion went off near those people, and one was carried away. Of course, the police also claimed to hear protestors say, "We are willing to die for this,” and “We get paid for this.”
The camp said that shrapnel from the woman's wound was recovered and saved. We might be able to get a clear answer from the shrapnel. http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Propane-cylinders-recovered-at-explosion-site-of-DAPL-protest-402544435.html

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DeusExMachinima posted:

That should be interesting then. But TBH unless I see proof otherwise I'm leaning towards the malfunctioning IED explanation.

That certainly is a conclusion, but I have to say you're wrong. The protestors act only under orders from tribal elders, who have expressly forbid taking offensive violent action against the security contractors. These people stared down and disarmed a provocateur who had raised an AR-15 at them without raising their voices, if you think they would build an IED for the hell of it you're making an insane assumption, really.

Also, there seems to be consensus among people present that the screws fired concussion grenades at them, which can and did explode. I'll bet you that this is what happened.

Gobbeldygook posted:

The only permit they still need is from the Army Corps of Engineers. Contrary to the mythology of the protesters, the company is not going to be irreparably harmed if it's delayed through January. The next set of hearings is already scheduled for January 3rd, so nothing is happening until then. The protesters aren't accomplishing poo poo by wallowing in the cold except making themselves feel good because they're TAKING A STAND!

If you must persist in your passive agressive authoritarian cock gargling, could you do it outside this thread please?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Tias posted:

If you must persist in your passive agressive authoritarian cock gargling, could you do it outside this thread please?
I'm sorry you don't like facts in your ~safe space~.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

They're not facts, you're gargling cop semen because you're literally too dumb to accept anything but authoritarian narratives. I feel sorry for you, but please, :frogout:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tias posted:

The protestors act only under orders from tribal elders

IDK man. You don't have to go far back to find accounts of violence by protesters. For instance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-removed_us_58123b0ee4b0990edc2fb009

It seems like a stretch to claim they have much cohesive leadership when tons of people are from out of state and/or not connected with the tribe at all.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Tias posted:

That certainly is a conclusion, but I have to say you're wrong. The protestors act only under orders from tribal elders, who have expressly forbid taking offensive violent action against the security contractors.

It's not a conclusion, it's a suspicion. I respect the elders for their non-violence but come on, it's not impossible for someone to independently decide to do things their own way.

Tias posted:

the screws fired concussion grenades at them, which can and did explode.

Just shut the gently caress up. If the police used flashbangs then no, they do not have the ability to create that kind of wound. Flashbangs use a magnesium mix to achieve their effect and it can cause (potentially very serious) burn wounds. That woman's arm is a blast wound.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's plenty of evidence of the police using less-lethal weapons on the protesters including rubber bullets, tear gas, and water cannons. There's been no physical or photographed evidence of the protestors using IED's. Just police claims that the cops couldn't possibly have been responsible for injuring a woman using a less-lethal weapon. I'd say the onus of proof was on the police.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Just shut the gently caress up. If the police used flashbangs then no, they do not have the ability to create that kind of wound. Flashbangs use a magnesium mix to achieve their effect and it can cause (potentially very serious) burn wounds. That woman's arm is a blast wound.
The protesters are alleging that a concussion grenade like the MK3 was used.

---

WaPo has some good reporting

quote:

Wilansky’s father, Wayne Wilansky, said his daughter was hurt when law enforcement threw a grenade. The Morton County Sheriff’s Office maintains authorities did not use concussion grenades or any devices that produce a flash or bang during a clash late Sunday and early Monday near the camp along the pipeline route in southern North Dakota where protesters have gathered for months.

The sheriff’s office suggested in a statement Monday that an explosion heard during the skirmish might have been caused by small propane tanks that authorities said protesters had rigged to explode.

[...]

The North Dakota Highway Patrol in a statement Tuesday backed up the sheriff’s office’s version of events, saying officers during the skirmish spotted protesters with “multiple silver cylinder objects.”

“It was at this time an explosion occurred and several protesters ran to the area, pulled a female from under the burned vehicle, and fled the scene,” the patrol said.

Officers who investigated found 1-pound propane tanks “including one that appeared to be intentionally punctured,” the agency statement said.
Elsewhere someone linked to this facebook live video which allegedly shows the explosion in question. It occurs at approximately 5:40.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

There's plenty of evidence of the police using less-lethal weapons on the protesters including rubber bullets, tear gas, and water cannons. There's been no physical or photographed evidence of the protestors using IED's.

Hmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-uM_VWPW_w

http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Propane-cylinders-recovered-at-explosion-site-of-DAPL-protest-402544435.html

From the story linked above posted:

MORTON COUNTY, N.D. (Valley News Live) – Law enforcement say they are investigating the use of homemade explosives at a Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) protest. They have recovered weapons and are investigating whether or not they are related to injuries a female protester suffered.

Law enforcement say around 3:00 a.m. November 21, protester activity had de-escalated near the Backwater Bridge, but they noticed two males and a female using a barricade to hide their activity.

Officials say they gave repeated orders for the three people to come out from behind the barricade and they attempted to force them out with “less than lethal” bean bags and sponge rounds. It was then the officers noticed the protesters approach and roll multiple metallic cylinder objects.

“The subjects were given opportunities to retreat back, but it became obvious that they were tampering with the vehicle or planting a device,” said Highway Patrol Lieutenant Tom Iverson. “Their strange mannerisms led law enforcement to believe they were there for a purpose with a calculated effort to either cause harm or breach the line.”

Lt. Iverson says after the cylinders were rolled, law enforcement witnessed an explosion. Several protesters ran to the area, pulled a female from under the vehicle, and fled the scene.

Law Enforcement received information that protesters were using one-pound propane cylinders as explosives and the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation with support from Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms recovered three of these propane canisters from the site of the explosion.

Investigators also collected rocks and glass jars consistent with the design of Molotov cocktails that were used as weapons against law enforcement.

Tias
May 25, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's not a conclusion, it's a suspicion. I respect the elders for their non-violence but come on, it's not impossible for someone to independently decide to do things their own way.

So because it's not a flashbang injury, you choose to believe it's an IED. Gotcha, we're done here.

Have you ever been charged with possession or use of molotov cocktails? I have. Because cops found empty wine bottles with wax candles in them. In the same building I had been in at one point. Police lying to cover their own ineptitude is the rule rather than the exception, so forgive me for not being convinced.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tias posted:

Have you ever been charged with possession or use of molotov cocktails? I have. Because cops found empty wine bottles with wax candles in them. In the same building I had been in at one point. Police lying to cover their own ineptitude is the rule rather than the exception, so forgive me for not being convinced.

So, in your opinion, in the video I linked, what is the bright flaming thing that arcs over the bridge from the protester side and seems to explode near the cops?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wateroverfire posted:

IDK man. You don't have to go far back to find accounts of violence by protesters. For instance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-removed_us_58123b0ee4b0990edc2fb009

It seems like a stretch to claim they have much cohesive leadership when tons of people are from out of state and/or not connected with the tribe at all.
The police retracted this statement a day after it happened. Turns out nobody was shot in the hand or anywhere, and only one woman with a gun was arrested.

Shine on you crazy diamond

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
What do you think the bang part is if not an explosion :psyduck:

Do you know what physics is

Tias
May 25, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

So, in your opinion, in the video I linked, what is the bright flaming thing that arcs over the bridge from the protester side and seems to explode near the cops?

Most likely an incendiary device. I fail to see why this does not make Morton PDs claim to have "received information that protesters were using one-pound propane cylinders as explosives" anything other than a steaming pile of made-up poo poo. In a media blackout environment like the one at the protest, the cops are going to manufacture intel and justification for their actions like crazy, or else they're going to break with time-honoured tradition.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Just go on the wiki page for a handy list of examples of people receiving blast injuries from flash bangs

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Also I have literally never in my life laid eyes on a silver propane tank of any size. Maybe it's a Midwest thing?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

XMNN posted:

Just go on the wiki page for a handy list of examples of people receiving blast injuries from flash bangs

Naw man DEM has played every call of duty and flashbangs only deal 1 point of impact damage and no blast damage

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
in which we pretend that setting off a charge containing ammonium perchlorate to create a bang in fact creates no sort of overpressure whatsoever on the basis of ???

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

XMNN posted:

in which we pretend that setting off a charge containing ammonium perchlorate to create a bang in fact creates no sort of overpressure whatsoever on the basis of ???
It's MAGNESIUM man. He knows that magnesium is hot so it only burns people!

Don't you understand physics? :laugh:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tias posted:

Most likely an incendiary device. I fail to see why this does not make Morton PDs claim to have "received information that protesters were using one-pound propane cylinders as explosives" anything other than a steaming pile of made-up poo poo.

Video of protesters throwing homemade incendiary devices at police does honestly make it more believable that some protesters are doing dumb things with homemade explosives and molotov coctails and etc, yeah.

Tias posted:

In a media blackout environment like the one at the protest, the cops are going to manufacture intel and justification for their actions like crazy, or else they're going to break with time-honoured tradition.

There seems to be a ton of media coverage of the protest...

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

DeusExMachinima posted:

According to an article I read on Truth-Out (I know, I know) protestors did burn those vehicles to block the bridge back in October to prevent police access to their camps. Now they're complaining that it's forcing emergency services to divert around the most direct path and the cops are saying the bridge is closed (amongst other reasons) because it may be structurally unsafe due to damage sustained. Good loving job planning ahead and totally not shooting yourselves in the foot, guys.

There were several vehicles burned, as barricades, when the War Camp was descending upon the Sacred Ground camp to evict us for 'tresspassing.'

There was one DAPL worker who drove near camp that day. A crowd of people blocked one lane of traffic; my friend Silent Bob was in a vehicle going the other way and cut off the other lane. The truck ran off the road, and then someone in a Caddy hit him, disabling the vehicle. The DAPL employee got out of the car with an AR. Tom, a veteran and native, then talked him down and saved us all from a shooting. Some Sacred Stoners doused that vehicle in gasoline, after the BIA picked up the DAPL guy (they released him; they don't have jurisdiction beyond the rez line). Another friend of mine, seeing that they doused it and did not light it, tossed a lit match that way.

Earlier that day, Felicia watched as Red Warrior folk built a barricade of hay, straw, and tree limbs. She pled with them to use a different approach, as they poured petrol on the pyre. She took a seat on the hay bales, soaked in gasoline, in protest of the tactic. She was pulled away by two women. She was looking out the rear window of a car, driving away, when she saw the flames go up.

The War Camp cleared /all/ of our barricades up to the south bridge; they then left our barricade there, and used it as an excuse to shut down the road. Make no mistake, that road could easily be open if the War Camp opened it. The Barricade there now is a Turret they set up on the north side of that bridge. That bridge was always their objective, that day, and they've held it since. They don't want traffic on that road.

Mike has a massive big-rig, a peterbuilt, and has spent the past several nights approaching that bridge with chains, in an effort to clear the barricades. He's got an 'if you aren't going to clear it, we can and will!' attitude. The road is not closed due to us. The War Camp wants to keep the objective, and hold that bridge strategically. Once the river there freezes, though, there will be a long front.

It proved terribly inconvenient a few nights after they evicted Sacred Ground, when some Sacred Stoner lit the hill across from camp. We watched a few dozen acres burn. Some of the dudes from my camp went up (late in the morning) with wet blankets to fight the fire. A couple vets from the other side came out and helped too. There have been 3 field fires around camp; they've not deployed their water canon to fight /any/ of them. Bismark and Mandan are unable to send fire vehicles, because 1806 is under the War Camp's control. The Water Canon has been used exclusively to spray water on peaceful, prayerful protesters in freezing conditions. I was there myself, and had my first dance with tear gas.

They're digging under the river now. It'll likely be done in a few days.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 23, 2016

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

DeusExMachinima posted:

That should be interesting then. But TBH unless I see proof otherwise I'm leaning towards the malfunctioning IED explanation.

It was definitely /not/ an IED.

The Hose is /not/ being used to put out a fire; it's being used to punish us for praying on the bridge, because they fear a invasion. When we step over the rails on the bridge, approaching the other side, they deploy tear gas. I've not myself yet seen their protocol for deploying rubber bullets.

I did watch a bunch of water protectors, in a stream, when it was about 34 degrees out, getting maced. Our navy - a couple canoes and a kayak - would grab the people who were struggling (the cops on the other side were pointing them out to our guys) and drag them back to our shore. We had a chain of warm blankets arriving, and built a bonfire - though standing naked in front of a bonfire while wet and cold is less than pleasant when you're covered in bear mace.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 23, 2016

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Gobbeldygook posted:

Your facts aren't.

Seriously, are you a paid DAPL shill? You're *way* off, and stupid to boot.

edit:

Care packages can be sent to:

Leprechaun
Wounded Knee Kitchen
P.O. box 122
Solen, ND 58570

I'm in the Wild Oglala Camp.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have some experience with building in protected/environmentally sensitive areas, including over water, and never proceeded with any building until the ACoE gave the all clear. Running afoul of any government institution can be very costly and my worst nightmare, but then again I'm not some huge petrochemical company with friends in high places so they probably know they can get away with it.

So there was no environmental impact study done? That seems like the primary reason why these peoples' concerns are legitimate to say the least.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I appreciate the info, that's unfortunate. I'm still not convinced that the injury was due to a molotov cocktail or a propane tank explosion. It's my understanding that the injuries would be burns and shrapnel over a wide area rather than a chunk of flesh missing. Still potentially lethal of course, just diffferent types of injuries.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
for further evidence that small charges of magnesium and perchlorate designed to produce a bright light and a loud bang can mutilate hands, why not visit your local hospital on or about your culturally appropriate date for getting really drunk and setting off shitloads of fireworks

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

wateroverfire posted:

There is /not/ cohesive leadership.

Red Warrior is camp security. They have been asked by Standing Rock to leave. There's a variety of other groups at play too; each camp has their own elders, there's the AIM crowd, there's Rainbow, there's Occupy and Burner folk... it's pretty much an autonomous zone - but people /do not/ disrespect the elders.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

I have some experience with building in protected/environmentally sensitive areas, including over water, and never proceeded with any building until the ACoE gave the all clear. Running afoul of any government institution can be very costly and my worst nightmare, but then again I'm not some huge petrochemical company with friends in high places so they probably know they can get away with it.

So there was no environmental impact study done? That seems like the primary reason why these peoples' concerns are legitimate to say the least.
An environmental assessment was done, the Standing Rock Sioux just didn't like the result.

quote:

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe (SRST) and other tribal governments object to the pipeline and its alignment because the proposed route crosses under Lake Oahe a few miles upstreamof the SRST water intakes. Tribes are concerned that a leak or rupture would contaminate the river, including the SRST's drinking water. The tribes argue the District did not adequately consult on the DAPL pipeline alignment. The EA establishes that the District made a good faith effort to consult with the tribes and that it considered all tribal comments. In addition, the pipeline will be located under Lake Oahe, and Dakota Access has developed response and action plans, and will include several monitoring systems, shut-off valves and other safety features to minimize the risk of spills and reduce or remediate any potential damages.
TIL the pipeline will be 92 feet below the bottom of Lake Oahe.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

XMNN posted:

Get ready for pain.jpg!

Flashbang contact injury, third degree burns:

Second degree burn:

Now compare to SR woman: http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/sophi...rm-bomb-photos/

XMNN posted:

It's true that flashbangs *can* pulverise fingers and require amputation of the hand in severe cases. There's been plenty of dumbass cops who've pulled the pin, let the spoon go, and then held it for too long. They have very short fuses. But you lose your hand in the hospital because it's been burnt to a crisp and then they cut it off, not because the flashbang blew it off outright. As for what they do in contact to thicker body structures such as limbs, you're looking at it.

But hey, if you've got a confirmed picture of some's arm hanging loosely off the bone like that woman as the documented result of a flashbang I'd be very interested in seeing it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Uglycat posted:

There were several vehicles burned, as barricades, when the War Camp was descending upon the Sacred Ground camp to evict us for 'tresspassing.'

I assume War Camp are the cops? As for trespassing, I've never been clear on this. Are your camps on tribal land and the pipeline is across the river?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
It is loving hilarious to me that there are actual, real life people in this thread who, in a conflict between protestors and US cops, assume that it's the cops who are telling the truth.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's true that flashbangs *can* pulverise fingers and require amputation of the hand in severe cases. There's been plenty of dumbass cops who've pulled the pin, let the spoon go, and then held it for too long. They have very short fuses. But you lose your hand in the hospital because it's been burnt to a crisp and then they cut it off, not because the flashbang blew it off outright. As for what they do in contact to thicker body structures such as limbs, you're looking at it.

But hey, if you've got a confirmed picture of some's arm hanging loosely off the bone like that woman as the documented result of a flashbang I'd be very interested in seeing it.
:nws:http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e91_1390339050:nws: The explosion occurs at 1:15. Starting at about 2:50 you can see what looks like exposed bone where his finger-flesh used to be, plus a lot of his flesh is just gone.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

xrunner posted:

Deferring to strict legalism is a great way to justify oppression without feeling like an rear end in a top hat. That law and precedent was brought in at gunpoint and maintained at gunpoint. At some point, while you can't undo the crimes that happened 150 years ago, you have to find a way forward that probably involves renegotiating the terms of the conquest in a way that is beneficial to the survivors of the conquest. Falling back on a strict reading of our laws and precedent isn't going to move anything forward.
Complaining about "legalism" is the last resort of people who have no legal argument for why their desires should prevail. There is no renegotiation to be had, because there are parties other than the tribe and the federal government with interests at stake. The only thing that those who support the tribe have offered is the idea that any native tribe should be able to demand to have input on any project on land that they deem they have an interest in.

Gozinbulx posted:

Can someone who feels more confident in the facts tell me: am I mistaken or does the company building the pipeline not have all the necessary permits to build, specifically from the army corp of engineers? If so, how are they allowed to build? What is the official line on why a project without the necessary permits is allowed to proceed, and vigorously protected while doing so, no less?
The majority of the pipeline is constructed on private lands and requires no federal permits. The ACoE has to approve construction at the 209 points where it crosses the waterways of the United States. The ACoE believes that they have met their obligation to review the environmental and cultural impacts of the project at these points. The ACoE also has to consult with affected native tribes. They are not required to act on the tribes' input. The Corps has demonstrated that they made a good faith effort to consult with the Standing Rock.

The tribe has argued that, since the pipeline would not be built without the 209 crossings, the ACoE should do an environmental and cultural review of the entire pipeline, one during which they would be required to consult tribes again, rather than just reviewing the crossings. The courts have rejected this idea.

• Locked thread