Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
APatheticPoster
Oct 10, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Immortal rivals is quite possibly my favorite thing I have ever made at Paradox :)

So with Stellaris out, and your newfound love of magical events, when are the powers that be going to realize that Fantasy CK2 is the game we all truly deserve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fantasy CK2 might be cool, but without a historical basis it might actually be less interesting.

I'd rather have Vicky 3 first tbh.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
We need Rome 2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Fantasy CK2 might be cool, but without a historical basis it might actually be less interesting.

I think there are two things that really distinguish CK2 and which I would like to see emulated in other contexts. One of these things is the asymmetric goals and mechanics for each religion / government type, which ties in with the "historical basis" thing, but it could be achieved just as easily by fiction as history. The other one is that it's driven by people, not nations, which to me is by far the most important thing about the game and the reason I keep coming back to it despite disliking many of the core mechanics. I've never seen any other game that promotes so much engagement with randomly generated characters. (Even if 90% of the time the feeling at work is "oh THAT fuckin' jerk.")

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Vengarr posted:

Ahhhhhh I need Reaper's Due so bad

Yeah I'm getting it during the winter sale, Hell Horse of Death sold me.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Immortal rivals is quite possibly my favorite thing I have ever made at Paradox :)

Well props to you. That was amazing.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

My current guy has seven children, all girls, all born on the third of the month. I think the RNG broke.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ajkalan posted:

My current guy has seven children, all girls, all born on the third of the month. I think the RNG broke.
Orrrrr you need to play the lottery.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Darkrenown posted:

Another outcome I saw recently:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/5eaaqq/i_killed_my_immortal_wife_as_an_immortal_werewolf/

Aha! So this is how you give Hellenic Paganism a foothold!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Is there an easy way to see what DLC you haven't got yet? I may have done something stupid in the steam sale but at this point I would rather cement the mistake than lament it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have seduced the young great-grandaughter of my old liege and sired a male bastard (at last!) with her that I was going to legitimize. Except then my second wife died, and despite being landed, my seductive abilities have her willing to marry me.

My victory over my old Liege is now total. You may have won the battle of dying a Duke days before I could strip your title, but I have utterly won the war! Take that old man! Mwahahahaha!

ajkalan posted:

Nah, what happens is various characters get their events processing done on certain days of the month to lower the strain.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 24, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ajkalan posted:

I thought you meant they were born on the same day, like septaplets, and was gonna make a Kwik-e-Mart joke.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
After having not played this for ages, I just bought Charlemagne, Horse Lords, Conclave and Reaper's Due. Other than France, who else gets the up-close treatment in these DLC in terms of events and such?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So what techs are good to concentrate on? Obviously you can't really concentrate on any too hard the way the system works, but still. I finally relocated my capital to what I suspect it will be for a long time and now I'm wondering what to spend all the points I've saved up on.

Legalism is obviously important, as is Military Organization, but what is good in economy tech? Castle infrastructure for the tax boosts? Is it worth it to blow all my points on Mil Org. 2 when I could, instead, pump the 3 troop techs and siege tech up to level 1 and have points to spare? I think the latter might be better since I'm not using retinues yet and unsure when I should start and the only other major bonus is +6.3% morale.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This is dumb, I really wish we could coordinate with allies better. If we just combined forces we could probably win against the enemy.

[edit] Oh don't worry yourselves about coming over and helping, Lombards. I've totally got this. Assholes.

I can't believe I won that, I mean yeah its mass Heavy Infantry vs Mass Light Infantry making a river crossing, but drat.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 24, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This would be a logical path for an earlier bookmark to take: 4th century, Arthurian times, full of legends and actual(?) dragons.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Why do hosts keep popping up in this county? I don't get it. It is the most isolated county on the map that isn't also an island.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So what techs are good to concentrate on? Obviously you can't really concentrate on any too hard the way the system works, but still. I finally relocated my capital to what I suspect it will be for a long time and now I'm wondering what to spend all the points I've saved up on.

Legalism is obviously important, as is Military Organization, but what is good in economy tech? Castle infrastructure for the tax boosts? Is it worth it to blow all my points on Mil Org. 2 when I could, instead, pump the 3 troop techs and siege tech up to level 1 and have points to spare? I think the latter might be better since I'm not using retinues yet and unsure when I should start and the only other major bonus is +6.3% morale.

I focus on improved keeps for the boost to my personal levies, with castle infrastructure as a secondary and construction as the third choice. It's usually easier to get money than it is to get extra troops.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Dareon posted:

This would be a logical path for an earlier bookmark to take: 4th century, Arthurian times, full of legends and actual(?) dragons.

You would have to redesign the whole idea of realms, vassalage, and titles from the ground up to make a fourth century bookmark even remotely viable in CK2. Like, the only places feudalism as-is would really work in that period are parts of India and also parts of Persia, maybe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is dumb, I really wish we could coordinate with allies better. If we just combined forces we could probably win against the enemy.

[edit] Oh don't worry yourselves about coming over and helping, Lombards. I've totally got this. Assholes.

I can't believe I won that, I mean yeah its mass Heavy Infantry vs Mass Light Infantry making a river crossing, but drat.

It's not unusual at all. Heavy infantry are even a bit more than twice as good as light infantry. The river crossing is just the icing on the cake.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So my dude is almost 65 now. He can't have long left. Thankfully my third wife has produced a few sons. However, Gavelkind kinda sucks! But I can't switch to Primogeniture until I hit late feudal admin, which definitely isn't happening in my dude's remaining lifetime.

I could switch to elective monarchy. Since I'm the only Duke in addition to the King, does that mean I get the only vote? That'd be pretty handy for getting to pick and choose my heir. However I suppose it also means I can't create additional duchies eventually (I can create Baden and Alsace, and if Mid.Francia ever finishes its wars I can try to ursurp Upper Burgandy) which could be inconvenient. I was thinking of breaking the kingdom up into duchies just to cut down on the number of direct vassals I have to deal with, but maybe that is a bad idea.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

APatheticPoster posted:

So with Stellaris out, and your newfound love of magical events, when are the powers that be going to realize that Fantasy CK2 is the game we all truly deserve?

I'm all for it!

Vengarr posted:

Ahhhhhh I need Reaper's Due so bad

Node posted:

Yeah I'm getting it during the winter sale, Hell Horse of Death sold me.

Dunno if steam sale will beat this, but RD is on sale right now here:
http://www.wingamestore.com/product/6097/Crusader-Kings-II-The-Reapers-Due/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Darkrenown posted:

Dunno if steam sale will beat this, but RD is on sale right now here:
http://www.wingamestore.com/product/6097/Crusader-Kings-II-The-Reapers-Due/

That is a whole 50 cents cheaper than steam.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So my dude is almost 65 now. He can't have long left. Thankfully my third wife has produced a few sons. However, Gavelkind kinda sucks! But I can't switch to Primogeniture until I hit late feudal admin, which definitely isn't happening in my dude's remaining lifetime.

I could switch to elective monarchy. Since I'm the only Duke in addition to the King, does that mean I get the only vote? That'd be pretty handy for getting to pick and choose my heir. However I suppose it also means I can't create additional duchies eventually (I can create Baden and Alsace, and if Mid.Francia ever finishes its wars I can try to ursurp Upper Burgandy) which could be inconvenient. I was thinking of breaking the kingdom up into duchies just to cut down on the number of direct vassals I have to deal with, but maybe that is a bad idea.

That's not how elective works. All rulers one rank lower than you can vote for your successor (except in empires, where kings AND dukes can vote). That means your counts decide who will inherit your duchy. And you only get a single vote, no matter how many counties you hold. Your only advantage is that your vote breaks ties. So if you have like 4 vassal counts that hate you and one that likes you, expect to play as a super-count once your ruler kicks the bucket.

I thought you only have one son? He should inherit all your titles even under gavelkind, they only get split up if you have more than one eligible heir.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is it elective monarchy that you have access to, and not elective gavelkind?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah. I'm king of Swabia (titular kingdom I made), Duke of Alemannia, and a few count/baron titles. So since its a proper Kingdom counts don't get to vote, yeah?

I got three legit sons now. The first a legitimized bastard the other two legit sons of the same mother after I married her.

(Edit) yeah elective monarchy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah. I'm king of Swabia (titular kingdom I made), Duke of Alemannia, and a few count/baron titles. So since its a proper Kingdom counts don't get to vote, yeah?

I got three legit sons now. The first a legitimized bastard the other two legit sons of the same mother after I married her.

(Edit) yeah elective monarchy.

Oh right. If you are a king without duke vassals then you can indeed freely select your heir. Congrats!

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why would it need to not have a historical basis? You could easily make a fairy tale mod DLC for CK2 - use the adventurer and intrigue mechanics to represent monsters taking over kingdoms and kidnapping princesses, various witchcraft/demonologist traits give access to magical armies and assassinations but risk excommunication, a couple of fantastic religions and then just loads more supernatural event chains. Maybe more Enchantress of Florence than Lyonesse

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
edit: nm

snoremac fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 24, 2016

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
So. Question. Sometimes I'll get a popup at the top of the screen saying I can imprison some vassal or courtier for acting dishonourably toward me. Fine. How can I tell *how* they were dishonourable toward me? Sometimes I can see their plot in there character screen, sometimes not. Are there other reasons I would have righteous imprisonment, and where can I find this information?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fantasy stuff is best left for mods imo.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

The Sin of Onan posted:

You would have to redesign the whole idea of realms, vassalage, and titles from the ground up to make a fourth century bookmark even remotely viable in CK2. Like, the only places feudalism as-is would really work in that period are parts of India and also parts of Persia, maybe.

What would the dominant political system(s) in most of Europe be at that time?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alloran posted:

So. Question. Sometimes I'll get a popup at the top of the screen saying I can imprison some vassal or courtier for acting dishonourably toward me. Fine. How can I tell *how* they were dishonourable toward me? Sometimes I can see their plot in there character screen, sometimes not. Are there other reasons I would have righteous imprisonment, and where can I find this information?

It's not always a plot. I think fathering a bastard on your liege's wife or daughter will do it, plus there's a lot of events that definitely will.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA&t=105s

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,I was thinking about giving that Warhammer mod a shot. Any ideas for a good starting point?

Edit: If I can get the dammed thing to start. Everytime I try it out, it just stops responding almost immediately.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 24, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GunnerJ posted:

The Western Roman Empire was still an actual functional political entity during the fourth century; it didn't start disintegrating until the turn of the fifth. And in the immediate post-Roman period (up until the seventh century, say) most of the successor states imitated or attempted to imitate Roman state structures- they were, relatively speaking, centralised, bureaucratic*, maintained tax-raising apparatus etc. That was especially true of the Gothic states in Iberia and Italy, but even the Franks were much more centralised than they would be after the dissolution of the Carolingian empire. "Feudalism" doesn't really get started until ~1000 ish.

Areas that were never part of the empire, and Britannia, were basically tribal. Extremely personal, localised politics, nothing even approximating a "state".

*I might be overstating the continuity here; I loaned out all my EMA history books a couple of years back and haven't seen them since. :saddowns:

If you want a solid overview of the period, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Chris Wickham's The Inheritance of Rome.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Playing this for the first time in a while with new DLC (Charlemagne onwards). It annoys me how often you have life lesson moments with your children, nieces, nephews and grandkids. I liked the old system where you only dealt with this stuff by and large by becoming a child's ward. I've caught eight or so kids sneaking a peek at my private letters. I'm trying to deal with my crazy empire and don't want to be distracted by having to choose whether my niece I've never noticed becomes craven or brave.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

You're absolutely correct, of course, my statement was coming from a more pop culture view of Arthurian legend, which basically plops him right into the Middle Ages with no regard for anything resembling historical accuracy. Even knowing as I do that there's literally one historical mention of Arturius Rex; that Camelot, if it even existed, came shortly on the heels of the fall of Rome; that Lancelot could not have been named Lancelot because Lancelot is a French name and French didn't even exist yet; I still think "Arthurian" and think knights with three-foot blades, lance-equipped heavy horse, and high stone castles.

The upshot, I think, is that any mythological expansion would need to get into tearing-away-ability-to-feel-human territory. By which I mean it should totally be done.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mythic 4th century in a feudal system ie how Le Morte d'Arthrur structures the legends around 14th century feudalism would be a cool way to spice the map up. It would have to be in a mod I guess unless Paradox really wants to go off the deep end before CK3. Because of techs and tribalism Charlemagne is miserable to start and even TOG isn't a very nice start so putting the world on the tech level of 1066 with how medieval popular culture thought the world would be like back in the darkest ages would be a cool variant.

The migrations happening everywhere but and sometimes inside the Roman empire in the twilight of the western empire would make a weird game unlike any map game so far and the modding efforts to try and represent it in CK2 are fascinating but mostly hilarious.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dareon posted:

You're absolutely correct, of course, my statement was coming from a more pop culture view of Arthurian legend, which basically plops him right into the Middle Ages with no regard for anything resembling historical accuracy. Even knowing as I do that there's literally one historical mention of Arturius Rex; that Camelot, if it even existed, came shortly on the heels of the fall of Rome; that Lancelot could not have been named Lancelot because Lancelot is a French name and French didn't even exist yet; I still think "Arthurian" and think knights with three-foot blades, lance-equipped heavy horse, and high stone castles.

The upshot, I think, is that any mythological expansion would need to get into tearing-away-ability-to-feel-human territory. By which I mean it should totally be done.

Oh, I don't have any problem with an Arthur scenario on a reality/history basis. That was Sin of Onan's objection. Anachronistic Arthur is almost always more interesting than "the actual real dark ages Arthur for real guys, really!!!" nonsense.

The main problem with an Arthurian scenario as I see it is the same problem a War of the Roses scenario has: it's just not big enough to fill the game. CK2 stretches from Iceland to Mongolia, and the Arthur myth only really gives you fodder for the British Isles. You could try cutting down the scope, but the smaller you make the game the less interesting it becomes (c.f. the Game of Thrones mod).

That's not a killer problem, of course; you could try grabbing a whole bunch of myths to cover the entire map and welding them together, but I think the result would feel a bit patchwork, at least compared to a holistically designed fantasy world.

(I'm actually working on a fantasy mod of my own with a totally-homebrewed setting. It is inching towards completion in the fashion of Zeno's tortoise :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Torrannor posted:

Oh right. If you are a king without duke vassals then you can indeed freely select your heir. Congrats!

Just not sure if tying myself to the system for a few generation is a good idea. I wouldn't be able to make any addiitonal dutchies so it'd limit both my expansion and mean I'd have to directly deal with a bunch of uppity counts.

Then again, its probably still better than Gavelkind.

• Locked thread