Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacedaemonius

Rub a dub dub

Thingyman posted:

don't be ashamed to look at a guide if you're hopelessly stuck. that game has some of the worst examples of adventure game logic ever, and the story is meant to be the focus anyways.

seriously where else do you pick up a key through a complex series of events involving a band aid, a rubber pool toy, a seagull, and the ring given to you by your dead father.

Well said. Honorable mention to the part where you can render the game unwinnable at the funniest part by forgetting to grab constable guybrush at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I rendered my ff7 unwinnable by being dumb and hitting a save point halfway through a dungeon when I had no recovery items. Every time I left the save cave, I'd run into a Marlboro that would hit my entire party with that spell that confuses, sleeps, frogs, and basically every bullshit status effect. I would of course then die because all of my frogs were asleep or confused. I couldn't kill the things fast enough, and I wasn't able to backtrack for the same reason. Eventually I just gave up. gently caress you forever, ice cave infested with Marlboros

There was probably a simple way out but I have since gotten rid of the device I had the game on, so I will never know for sure now.

Scaly Haylie

Quidthulhu posted:

I grabbed Moon! I'll figure out my NintendoID or whatever later and we can all have fun~

What starter did you pick, and why should I spare you if it's not Popplio

RazzleDazzleHour

I have beaten both Sun and Moon and I'm working on the Pokedex now, albeit very slowly. Thanksgiving break just started and I've got some free time to play over the next few days, but I'm also gonna go out on Black Friday and pick myself up a PS4 to play FF15 with

also I like a ton of the new mons theoretically but then after seeing a lot of their stats and movepools I end up abandoning them. Initial favorites were Charjabugg and Crabrawler bbut they failed the usefulness test, surprise good pokemon is Mudsdale who carried my team of awful Pokes really hard. He only loses points for not having the cute dopey Mudbray eyes

myDad

ce n'est pas ma mère
well I beat Owlboy & it was cool, but felt like one Act
i wish I had more levels to play at that quality,
anyway have a cool song from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw0_Ne5Zh8o

sig by vanisher™®

Senior Management

What I heard about he Owlboy is that the art is beautiful, truly spectacular like a professional Japanese pixel art project. But the puzzles are super repetitive and get boring. Can you confirm or deny this?

:jerry:

myDad

ce n'est pas ma mère
deny, there's variety to the levels but it was like Ocarina without adulthood

sig by vanisher™®

Moola

I Was The Fury posted:

I rendered my ff7 unwinnable by being dumb and hitting a save point halfway through a dungeon when I had no recovery items. Every time I left the save cave, I'd run into a Marlboro that would hit my entire party with that spell that confuses, sleeps, frogs, and basically every bullshit status effect. I would of course then die because all of my frogs were asleep or confused. I couldn't kill the things fast enough, and I wasn't able to backtrack for the same reason. Eventually I just gave up. gently caress you forever, ice cave infested with Marlboros

There was probably a simple way out but I have since gotten rid of the device I had the game on, so I will never know for sure now.

one trick would have been to open the CD tray while in combat after you got effected with those spells

when the tray is open combat time will continue but nobody will make any moves, you can then wait until the effects wear off and try and run

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I can't wait until FF7 remake. gotta have an updated version of the lego people and hopefully they kept that tactical battle minigame where you are defending some fortress in the middle of nowhere. maybe an updated version of the snowboard game too :)

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

I Was The Fury

Moola posted:

one trick would have been to open the CD tray while in combat after you got effected with those spells

when the tray is open combat time will continue but nobody will make any moves, you can then wait until the effects wear off and try and run

I had downloaded it on my ps3

I grew up in a Nintendo household until my brother and I got a ps2 instead of at gamecube, but I never really went and looked at previous good games until I was in high school and had to spend my own money

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Anyone have any advice on how to properly manage my materia?

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Dick Bastardly posted:

Its been awhile but from what i remember just keep as much equipped as possible so you can gain AP and build levels. If you can get things that double the AP use them when you're grinding. It'll be a while but once you've mastered one it will give you a brand new baby materia of the same type.

I know that's fairly obvious advice but maybe someone who's played more recently has better advice.

Scaly Haylie

As a child I thought the All materia had all of the spells.

Scaly Haylie

On an actual advice note, keep enemy skill equipped on someone at all times once you get it. It's really good.

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete

Dick Bastardly posted:

If you want someone to be doing physical damage, don't give them summons and be sparing with spells. If you want a caster, load them up and put them on the back line. Enemy Skill is fantastic if you know where to get the good stuff. Aeris/th is the only character that doesn't work for both melee and casting, just give her loads of spells.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
"Guys can't we just use a phoenix down on Aeris? No?"

vanisher

Dick Bastardly posted:

All I remember is loading up counter and multi-hit materia on Barret who would hit all enemies if he was attacked. Although be careful about choosing an elemental based weapon because you'll end up healing certain enemies by mistake. Although multi-hit comes a little later in the game (disc 3?)

By the end of this i'll be digging out my FF7 PC discs.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
All solid tips, thanks goon-fam!

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

vanisher

Just figuring out what the h*ck I'm doing in Tabletop Simulator

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Anybody know of a good xcom-style fantasy rpg? I love the combat and character customization of xcom, and I want to find something similar in a fantasy setting. I've been looking at Moridhin and I might grab that next check, I also played some of the Banner Saga, but while the art and story are p nice, the combat doesn't really do it for me. Any recommendations?

IAmKale

やらないか

Munchables posted:

Anybody know of a good xcom-style fantasy rpg? I love the combat and character customization of xcom, and I want to find something similar in a fantasy setting. I've been looking at Moridhin and I might grab that next check, I also played some of the Banner Saga, but while the art and story are p nice, the combat doesn't really do it for me. Any recommendations?
Would you accept an emulation recommendation? If so, consider Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) and FFTA2 (DS). There's no permadeath but you can customize your dudes in all kinds of gear and classes and even make friends with huge green tentacle monsters :3:

Historical Wizards

IAmKale posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics

:twisted:

But in all seriousness, original Final Fantasy Tactics is in that category of "so good its flaws are charming"

E: it has some really great music too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RlLfTuK9Y

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Munchables

I'll give it a look, but every time I've watched an lp or played an FF game it just didn't click for me. The things I like about Xcom 2 are the 3d environment interaction, the cover system, the character progression and customization, the overwatch mechanic, and the customizable HQ you can research and develop in.

Historical Wizards

Munchables posted:

I'll give it a look, but every time I've watched an lp or played an FF game it just didn't click for me. The things I like about Xcom 2 are the 3d environment interaction, the cover system, the character progression and customization, the overwatch mechanic, and the customizable HQ you can research and develop in.

Well FFT is a tactical game rather than a traditional jrpg. Also every character can have ability/skills from any/other classes through a job point system, so there is some pretty hefty customization to be done.
There isn't really an overwatch-ish mechanic apart from characters being able to counter.

vanisher

Looks like there's a steam group for BYOB already!

I'll be in there if anyone wants to try tabletop simulator this evenin'

Historical Wizards

Post that steam name

mine right now is Alfonso Christ#KicksForChrist

A Spider Covets

the S for the Skull Team in the new pokemon kinda looks like the cool S... I'm intimidated now :ohdear:

My steam is A Spider Covets, http://steamcommunity.com/id/aspidercovets if anyone wants to add me. I usually just play single player but I'm around to chat if you want.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

vanisher

Historical Wizards posted:

Post that steam name

mine right now is Alfonso Christ#KicksForChrist

vanisher here

Plebian Parasite

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mondo_cool

it's me

ScrubLeague

Munchables posted:

Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force 2, Fire Emblem, and if you can handle a lot of anime incest, the Agarest series. Valkyria Chronicles takes place in Fantasy World War 2, and is excellent.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Plebian Parasite

vanisher posted:

vanisher here

is it the one of a mouse eating a wafer cookie, or the one of the cat head photoshopped onto a guy wearing a leather jacket.

I Was The Fury

Nattylitebrite, there might be a hyphen somewhere in there. Hold on I'll go find the steam profile page

E: found it...?

vanisher

Plebian Parasite posted:

is it the one of a mouse eating a wafer cookie, or the one of the cat head photoshopped onto a guy wearing a leather jacket.

wait... van1sher I think ewps

http://steamcommunity.com/id/vanchu

vanisher fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 24, 2016

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete
http://steamcommunity.com/id/draconic_impulse here. Can't play anything for a while but eventually I'll be back home yo

vanisher

Let's just pretend I bought KoF would anyone play

Munchables

You can find me here at http://steamcommunity.com/id/Quod_natum_est_ex_Sole

death sext

I've got tabletop simulator but I won't be able to play for a few days

this me http://steamcommunity.com/id/thetomlandryplate/

Scaly Haylie

sony just gave me ten bucks. what's ten bucks and good on ps4?

vanisher

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ooh I've heard this joke before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Lizard Wizard posted:

well you could buy 1100 destiny coins