Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

redeyes posted:

Just sayin, they tend to notice.. at some point.

I'm not particularly worried about it. They had it internally labeled as a 3 TB drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Greatest Living Man posted:

I'm not particularly worried about it. They had it internally labeled as a 3 TB drive.

Are they new? (What does SMART say?)

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

ChiralCondensate posted:

Are they new? (What does SMART say?)

The WD box was labeled with the product number for the 6 TB red but Amazon had slapped a 3 TB barcode over it. They're new.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah in that case enjoy. Ive had cases where they asked if I got something they did in fact send in error. But it was not mislabeled.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Are you good at playing dumb? Because I would be if they ever came inquiring about it. Hang on to the box just in case for proof of their label though.

Amazon once shipped me two tv's. I called them and asked if they were coming to get the other one after a few weeks and they told me they had no record of the second one but they'd send someone right away. Learn from my mistakes.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Amazon, unless they sent you something rather expensive by mistake, almost never bothers following up. It's literally not worth their time, the shipping costs, and the "cost" of hassling the customer.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

suddenlyissoon posted:

Are you good at playing dumb? Because I would be if they ever came inquiring about it. Hang on to the box just in case for proof of their label though.

Amazon once shipped me two tv's. I called them and asked if they were coming to get the other one after a few weeks and they told me they had no record of the second one but they'd send someone right away. Learn from my mistakes.
You don't need to play dumb - Amazon can politely ask for you to return the extra item (at Amazon's expense), but you don't have to. Any unordered merchandise you receive (even by accident) is legally yours thanks to slimy companies that used to send unordered items to random people and then follow up with an invoice for the item.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Hey, I'm thinking of putting together a system.

Basically I want to connect a PC & a Mac to a NAS for an Media Server, to work with uncompressed & raw video files.

But here are my requirements:
-Has to get OVER 400 MB/sec R/W performance.
-Doesn't need massive management options. No expecting to work with multiple people on the same project.
-Easy-ish to set-up (I've setup Hackintoshes, and can do the simplest command line stuff, but that's my limit).
-Performance is Key, it has to *feel* like a local drive in terms of copying, etc... I currently have a Synology NAS, and it just feels sluggish, I wasn't expecting it do be awesome but still I need it to be Solid.

-
I'm thinking of taking my 3300k i7 & Z97 mobo, that already has 8 sata slots, (although on two different controllers), and using that, installing linux or FreeBSD for ZFS support. It's currently my main work machine as a Hackintosh, but I'm looking to upgrade.Basically I've looked at a bunch of solutions and they all cost 10k+ and are all about service contracts. So I thought I'd try building one myself.

Thinking 8 4TB with 2 drive redundancy? I'd love to hear people's thoughts before I dive in.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Armagnac posted:

Hey, I'm thinking of putting together a system.

Basically I want to connect a PC & a Mac to a NAS for an Media Server, to work with uncompressed & raw video files.

But here are my requirements:
-Has to get OVER 400 MB/sec R/W performance.
-Doesn't need massive management options. No expecting to work with multiple people on the same project.
-Easy-ish to set-up (I've setup Hackintoshes, and can do the simplest command line stuff, but that's my limit).
-Performance is Key, it has to *feel* like a local drive in terms of copying, etc... I currently have a Synology NAS, and it just feels sluggish, I wasn't expecting it do be awesome but still I need it to be Solid.

-
I'm thinking of taking my 3300k i7 & Z97 mobo, that already has 8 sata slots, (although on two different controllers), and using that, installing linux or FreeBSD for ZFS support. It's currently my main work machine as a Hackintosh, but I'm looking to upgrade.Basically I've looked at a bunch of solutions and they all cost 10k+ and are all about service contracts. So I thought I'd try building one myself.

Thinking 8 4TB with 2 drive redundancy? I'd love to hear people's thoughts before I dive in.

To get that 400MB/s R/W performance, you are either going to need 10gbit Ethernet or have these drives directly connected to one system or another. 1gbit Ethernet usually maxes out at around 100MB/s.

After that, you then will probably need either all SSDs, or a RAID10 setup, which is relatively expensive.

You would probably be much better off getting a pair of 256gb SSDs to use as scratch space for each system, and then use a more standard NAS as final storage.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The kinds of setups people have that meet those requirements have historically used stuff like Infiniband and Myrinet with the storage fabric infrastructure costing well into the $15k+ / range. I haven't heard of people wanting to directly work off of a NAS / SAN for video work unless they were basically forced to either. Most prefer something like an external Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 drive and populate it with a JBOD of SSDs, and the drives get backed up daily to the NAS while they sleep, for example, and performance isn't as critical. The thing about OS X / macOS that's bothered me is that Apple has been lagging pretty badly on supporting stuff like XSAN that they were pushing for high performance or professional storage needs, so those fibre channel and FCoE drivers are likely getting neglected, too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have an old-ish Bloomfield Xeon workstation with ECC RAM and I am thinking of building a NAS testbed in it for now and upgrading later when I know what the hell I want.

I would really like to give ZFS a try, but I'm not sure on the OS. In order of preference, I'm thinking FreeBSD, OpenIndiana, FreeNAS, and maybe real Solaris. Learning BSD or Solaris sysadmin stuff and jails would be a plus to going with a real OS over an appliance style setup. Unless anyone has a real strong recommendation one way or another I guess I'll just give FreeBSD a try. Probably not going to put anything critical on it for now, so no problem if I change my mind.

My workstation has enough SATA ports for the moment but if I ever built into a smaller case I may need a controller with additional ports. Right now I am using 6 TB 7200 RPM Toshiba consumer drives. What would be the cheapest/most compatible controller chipset across FreeBSD/OpenIndiana/Linux in that order of preference? I don't mind installing drivers or something but it needs to actually work. If you can recommend an actual card that would be even better but just knowing brands that are more compatible would help. I'd be looking for at least 6 ports. Or any other starting place you could give me. Right now I am just kinda looking through SuperMicro's lists of tested HDDs for their controllers trying to figure out what the hell.

I wish there were more server-type mITX 2011-3 boards for the big Xeons. I know in my heart that NAS boxes don't need to be super beefy and that I can push that off onto another PC. But I have tasted Big Chip Power on my desktop and an engineering sample 2011-3 Xeon wouldn't be a significant difference in the total cost. I just can't find any mITX server-type 2011-3 boards other than the EPC612D4I and it only has 4 SATA ports. I'd like at least 4 bay plus a boot SSD, and maybe also another SSD for cache, so at least 6. The smallest U-NAS case with a PCIe port for a controller is the 8-bay and I feel a little silly getting something that big/powerful at that point. I just also feel silly spending $250 on a specialty LGA1151 mITX server board when I could get a LGA2011-3 at the same price. But with the 2011-3 I also would need a controller card, since that board only has 4 ports and after using one for a boot drive I would be down to 3 storage drives.

I know the LGA1151 and an i3 or maybe small ES Xeon is the right answer, I just haven't managed to talk my heart into it yet.

If I buy hardware - could I theoretically just install the system SSD and any drives onto the new motherboard/CPU? Or would this involve an array rebuild of some kind?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 24, 2016

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I built a home server/ NAS combo last year and I was a dumb dumb; now Stablebit Scanner is flipping out because the load cycle count on the 2x2TB WD Greens I meant to replace are now at twice the threshold limit. I'm going to pick up an 8TB Red on Black Friday sale, but I'm also out of SATA ports. I want to throw a four-port SATA controller in so that I can actually hit full capacity of my case eventually, but I'm unsure on what to pick up.

I'm using Drivepool and folder duplication for redundancy so I don't need any RAID functionality built in. Is there any appreciable difference between a C$28 Syba PEX40064 or C$49 Syba PEX40057 and a C$100 Highpoint 640L? Am I just overthinking this?

I guess more appropriately: should I just be avoiding Marvell controllers in favor of something else?

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 24, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ElehemEare posted:

I guess more appropriately: should I just be avoiding Marvell controllers in favor of something else?

Not gonna say Marvell and other mystery bargain-bin cards are absolutely going to wreck your poo poo....but for not much more you can pick up a solid used card based on a LSI chipset. There are a ton available right now on eBay for <$70. They'd both be more reliable than anything from Marvell, as well as offering you more available SATA ports (just remember to buy the break-out cables 'cuz they're usually not included with the card).

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

ElehemEare posted:

I built a home server/ NAS combo last year and I was a dumb dumb; now Stablebit Scanner is flipping out because the load cycle count on the 2x2TB WD Greens I meant to replace are now at twice the threshold limit. I'm going to pick up an 8TB Red on Black Friday sale, but I'm also out of SATA ports. I want to throw a four-port SATA controller in so that I can actually hit full capacity of my case eventually, but I'm unsure on what to pick up.

I'm using Drivepool and folder duplication for redundancy so I don't need any RAID functionality built in. Is there any appreciable difference between a C$28 Syba PEX40064 or C$49 Syba PEX40057 and a C$100 Highpoint 640L? Am I just overthinking this?

Most of the difference between HBAs is going to be in driver support and compatibility. The lowest I would reasonably go would be one of the low-end LSI HBAs. Here's one for under $100

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone looking out for BF deals? I'm in the market for a TS140 or hp miniserver or p much anything w/ a xeon and space for a fair bit of drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FormatAmerica posted:

Is anyone looking out for BF deals? I'm in the market for a TS140 or hp miniserver or p much anything w/ a xeon and space for a fair bit of drives.

I haven't seen any of those on sale, but frankly the entire TS lineup goes on sale on a fairly regular basis, so there's no reason to feel like you "missed out" if you don't find one this week.

The more compelling deals IMHO are the 5TB Red/HGST drives that have been popping up for $165.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'd like to either buy or build a small, appliance-like machine for Plex and possibly backups.

I was shooting for maybe 3-4 TB of storage in RAID 1 with the ability to play/transcode 1080p.

I've looked at some of the QNAP and Synology stuff, but I don't know if there are better DIY options. What are some good options for this use case?

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DrDork posted:

Not gonna say Marvell and other mystery bargain-bin cards are absolutely going to wreck your poo poo....but for not much more you can pick up a solid used card based on a LSI chipset. There are a ton available right now on eBay for <$70. They'd both be more reliable than anything from Marvell, as well as offering you more available SATA ports (just remember to buy the break-out cables 'cuz they're usually not included with the card).

This is fair feedback. NCIX Outlet has an open-box 9211-8i missing the full-height bracket for like C$120; I might could just order a bracket and go that route.

lol Canada though. That said, Amazon.com is estimating only $18 of import duty...

Thanks for the feedback guys. Present me is kicking past me for saving $50 on a motherboard with 4, rather than 6, SATA ports. Past me is a real cheap sonuvabitch.

e: Found a 9211-8i pre-flashed to IT mode on P19 firmware for C$125 shipped. Thanks for the help guys. Now to cross my fingers that the card/ replacement drives/ fanout arrive before the current drives poo poo the bed.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 25, 2016

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
I'm kind of hoping I'll be able to snag a Synology DS216+II or at least some 3-4tb drives this BF/CM.

Does Synology do Black Friday deals? Any place in particular to watch?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to get my sister a DS916+ 8GB with 4x 8TB Seagate NAS drives (ST8000VN0002) for christmas and run it in RAID6. She's a pro photographer and currently uses a plethora of random external drives for storage. She also uses a mac, I assume the Synology plays nice with it?

One thing I'm wondering is how to go about setting it up, is it easy enough for me to walk her through it over video chat? The other option is to have it shipped to me and I set it up and she takes it home with her on the plane. Sounds like a pain though, it's gonna be heavy as poo poo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fletcher posted:

I want to get my sister a DS916+ 8GB with 4x 8TB Seagate NAS drives (ST8000VN0002) for christmas and run it in RAID6. She's a pro photographer and currently uses a plethora of random external drives for storage. She also uses a mac, I assume the Synology plays nice with it?

One thing I'm wondering is how to go about setting it up, is it easy enough for me to walk her through it over video chat? The other option is to have it shipped to me and I set it up and she takes it home with her on the plane. Sounds like a pain though, it's gonna be heavy as poo poo.

As long as she can physically assemble it and plug it in you can set it up over teamviewer.

And yes, works great with macs, even has time capsule emulation so she can do time machine backups to it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Anyone see any black friday deals on 6 or 8tb WD Reds?

The My Book Duo 16tb is on sale for $500 at a few places (Amazon, Jet etc) which contains 2 Red drives that you can pull out of their crappy array - that's the best I can find, but I am still looking to pick up at least one 6tb and a few more 8tb drives before the weekend is over.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

Skandranon posted:

To get that 400MB/s R/W performance, you are either going to need 10gbit Ethernet or have these drives directly connected to one system or another. 1gbit Ethernet usually maxes out at around 100MB/s.

After that, you then will probably need either all SSDs, or a RAID10 setup, which is relatively expensive.

You would probably be much better off getting a pair of 256gb SSDs to use as scratch space for each system, and then use a more standard NAS as final storage.

10 gigE is what I was thinking, with ~8x 4TB drives. 256gb SSD's wouldn't be cost effective as I need ~16-24TB of storage.

fletcher posted:

For Photography, I think the synology would be fine, setup was relatively easy, just connecting through smb requires a bit of training, and it just takes a second to wake up.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Armagnac posted:

10 gigE is what I was thinking, with ~8x 4TB drives. 256gb SSD's wouldn't be cost effective as I need ~16-24TB of storage.

Do you really need 24 TB of scratch space? Or final storage space? I was talking about using the SSDs purely as scratch space. Even with 10gigE, you will not get 400MB/s R/W performance out of normal NAS drives in RAID-5. I don't even think you'd get that in RAID-10. You will not get 24TB 10gigE NAS that operates at 400MB/s R/W for less than $10k. You can get a 24TB NAS at 1gigE at ~80-100MB/s for $1-2k.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I would love to know what kind of workload requires 400MB/s R/W that isn't Big Data.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Anyone have any experience backing their NAS up to Amazon Cloud? I'm not re-subbing to Backblaze, so I need to get another backup solution sorted. I've even found some people who have their ACD mounted to a VPS they are using as a Plex server as well as running Sonarr/etc/etc. So far it all seems to be a level of "figure it out yourself" beyond my ability and the closest things I can find to guides are old.

So I would be happy at the moment just getting everything backed up, but Amazon's own program is slow and buggy, as is apparently the Cloud Sync program on the synology.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

Anyone have any experience backing their NAS up to Amazon Cloud? I'm not re-subbing to Backblaze, so I need to get another backup solution sorted. I've even found some people who have their ACD mounted to a VPS they are using as a Plex server as well as running Sonarr/etc/etc. So far it all seems to be a level of "figure it out yourself" beyond my ability and the closest things I can find to guides are old.

So I would be happy at the moment just getting everything backed up, but Amazon's own program is slow and buggy, as is apparently the Cloud Sync program on the synology.

I use a windows command line program called rclone to sync my photos to amazon prime photos. You download it, pair it with your Amazon login the first time, and then basically run it in a windows command line box just like you would run rsync.

For example, here is the command I run to back up photos after I completed the pairing in rclone (which defined what amazon: is):

rclone --size-only --delete-excluded --delete-before --transfers=1 --bwlimit=2M --include *.{bmp,BMP,gif,GIF,jpg,JPG,jpeg,JPEG,nef,NEF,png,PNG,psd,PSD,tif,TIF} sync z:/Photos amazon:/Photos

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ElehemEare posted:

No, it makes absolutely no difference which controllers you use.
I use these because what the hell, cheap as poo poo. Work perfectly over years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0A6ZS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (ASM106)

I got 3 of them for 6 extra ports. Probably not the best solution but very cheap.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

I've been using Synology Cloud Sync to Amazon Drive for about 6 months, no issues. About 600GB of music, photos and office files. Just switching to use Hyperbackup instead now (as well as Cloud Sync during my test period) as it gives a more flexible selective backup choice (can backup multiple shares and sub-directories, instead of 1 share in Cloud Sync) and some versioning capability. Both of these tools are using all of my 15Mb/s upload link (Crashplan used to struggle to use 10% of that).

PCs - was using Sync Free, trying out Windows 10 built in feature to backup to Synology instead now to take advantage of versioning feature.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

G-Prime posted:

I would love to know what kind of workload requires 400MB/s R/W that isn't Big Data.

4k Video. And I'm not even talking uncompressed, this is mostly ProRes or Avid.

Skandranon posted:

Do you really need 24 TB of scratch space? Or final storage space? I was talking about using the SSDs purely as scratch space. Even with 10gigE, you will not get 400MB/s R/W performance out of normal NAS drives in RAID-5. I don't even think you'd get that in RAID-10. You will not get 24TB 10gigE NAS that operates at 400MB/s R/W for less than $10k. You can get a 24TB NAS at 1gigE at ~80-100MB/s for $1-2k.

Storage space. Video files are HUGE, and I work on Feature films, and It's useful to keep as many projects as I can on live storage. (A modern feature usually has ~24-30TB of Raw Footage, and Once media managed with handles, FX and everything you're looking at ~2-6tb).

If I wanted to spend 10k$ I'd just buy an off the shelf solution. They have them with those specs, and there's

I'm currently getting ~450/RW off of a RAID 0 scratch raid with just 4x4TB drives (With NAS drives software raided locally). I don't understand why I couldn't match that with 8x4TB at a raid 5 equivalent. Is there some bottleneck I'm not aware of? It wouldn't be drive throughput. And there wouldn't be more that one Computer drawing data off of it...

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Armagnac posted:

4k Video. And I'm not even talking uncompressed, this is mostly ProRes or Avid.

Storage space. Video files are HUGE, and I work on Feature films, and It's useful to keep as many projects as I can on live storage. (A modern feature usually has ~24-30TB of Raw Footage, and Once media managed with handles, FX and everything you're looking at ~2-6tb).

If I wanted to spend 10k$ I'd just buy an off the shelf solution. They have them with those specs, and there's

I'm currently getting ~450/RW off of a RAID 0 scratch raid with just 4x4TB drives (With NAS drives software raided locally). I don't understand why I couldn't match that with 8x4TB at a raid 5 equivalent. Is there some bottleneck I'm not aware of? It wouldn't be drive throughput. And there wouldn't be more that one Computer drawing data off of it...

I know video files are huge. There is a reason those off the shelf solutions exist, and it's not just because everyone is too lazy.

There is a huge difference between RAID 0 and RAID 5. RAID 0 splits files into stripes and saves to each disk, effectively adding all throughput together. 4x4 drives at 100MB/s =~ 400MB/s. RAID 5 does something similar, but then creates a parity of the data and saves it as well to another disk. This allows you to recover the data if any 1 of them fail (1 + 2 + 3 = 6, if you lose one and end up with 1 + x + 3 = 6, you can figure out x). However, this calculation is CPU intensive and you will not get the same throughput as you got via RAID 5. You might get close read values, but definitely not write. Also, you really don't want to be using RAID5 across 8 4TB disks, the chances you start getting failures is pretty high there. (see http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/).

You could try RAID 10, but that requires a fair bit more disks than RAID5. And you'll want to make sure you get a non poo poo RAID card for this, software likely won't cut it. According to http://www.raid-calculator.com/default.aspx, you'll need 12x4TB to get 24TB, and you'll see a 6x write increase. This still only gives you ~1 disk failure (RAID 10 funny, depends which disks go).

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I ordered a new Synology 12 bay and a bunch of 8TB WD Red drives to fill it up. I will be creating either one 12 disk SHR-2 (basically raid 6) volume, or two separate volumes (one 8 drives, one 4 drives, both SHR2 - I know it's weird that I don't do 6/6 but it works better for me this way for organizing, and I can put more critical things on the 4 volume array so it actually is better for data too).

Obviously it would be nice to lose only 2 drives worth of space, but a 12 disk array is pretty big. I would definitely be comfortable doing it if there was some kind of "SHR3" which allowed me to lose 3 drives, but Synology doesn't offer that, so I am leaning towards doing the two separate arrays of 8/4 disks and just losing the extra 16tb. I considered doing raid 5 for the 4 drive array, but I am actually less comfortable with that than a single 12 disk volume.

Does anyone think a 12 volume SHR2 (raid 6) array is actually OK? I keep good backups, data scrub regularly, and the array is in a physically safe location with appropriate UPS power. My current raid setup is actually a single 13 disk volume full of 3 and 4tb drives and it is certainly nice to not waste 4 entire drives on parity information.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

beepsandboops posted:

I'd like to either buy or build a small, appliance-like machine for Plex and possibly backups.

I was shooting for maybe 3-4 TB of storage in RAID 1 with the ability to play/transcode 1080p.

I've looked at some of the QNAP and Synology stuff, but I don't know if there are better DIY options. What are some good options for this use case?

It depends what exactly you're planning on doing with them. A QNAP/Synology should be able to handle one 1080p transcoded stream at a time (or multiple 720p or lower concurrent streams). That might be okay now but will family/friends/significant others also be interested in utilizing this box? Then you'll quickly run into cpu capacity issues. On the other hand, if it's just you, QNAP/Synology make it easy to setup what you're looking for.

And now for my question:

Anyone have experience converting an old Sandy Bridge desktop into a small formfactor NAS? I don't really use my PC tower so much anymore and with a small case (4 bays tops is all i require) and a small-sized motherboard, it seems like I should be able to recycle most of the parts. Would this be a good idea? How hard would it be to convert it to a more NAS oriented OS?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thwomp posted:

And now for my question:

Anyone have experience converting an old Sandy Bridge desktop into a small formfactor NAS? I don't really use my PC tower so much anymore and with a small case (4 bays tops is all i require) and a small-sized motherboard, it seems like I should be able to recycle most of the parts. Would this be a good idea? How hard would it be to convert it to a more NAS oriented OS?

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what freeNAS is for.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Thwomp posted:

It depends what exactly you're planning on doing with them. A QNAP/Synology should be able to handle one 1080p transcoded stream at a time (or multiple 720p or lower concurrent streams). That might be okay now but will family/friends/significant others also be interested in utilizing this box? Then you'll quickly run into cpu capacity issues. On the other hand, if it's just you, QNAP/Synology make it easy to setup what you're looking for.
It'd be serving up media to one TV, and I was planning on backing up two devices (but I can schedule that overnight or something).

The only guidance that Plex seemed to give in terms of CPU requirements was a Passmark score of 2000, which none of the QNAP or Synology devices I was looking at seemed to meet.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

beepsandboops posted:

It'd be serving up media to one TV, and I was planning on backing up two devices (but I can schedule that overnight or something).

The only guidance that Plex seemed to give in terms of CPU requirements was a Passmark score of 2000, which none of the QNAP or Synology devices I was looking at seemed to meet.

Yeah the problem with Plex transcoding is that Plex still doesn't support hardware transcoding so you need a dual core pentium/i3 or stronger. The built in media stuff for a synology can hardware transcode just fine but you can't use plex then. Emby may work with hardware transcoding but I haven't looked into it that much. The only QNAPs that can transcode with plex cost $1000+, the TVS-471/671/871 and the newer skylake version of those QNAP models. Only Synology with a strong enough processor is some 12 bay thing that costs $2000+

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just note that I already have a QNAP TS-251 which can transcode 1080p (one stream) in Plex. Barely but it'll play fine.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

Skandranon posted:

You could try RAID 10, but that requires a fair bit more disks than RAID5. And you'll want to make sure you get a non poo poo RAID card for this, software likely won't cut it. According to http://www.raid-calculator.com/default.aspx, you'll need 12x4TB to get 24TB, and you'll see a 6x write increase. This still only gives you ~1 disk failure (RAID 10 funny, depends which disks go).

Thanks for the Raid Calc, Helpful to get a sense of what to expect. I wish it had RAIDZ2 configurations as I was planning to go ZFS with this build.

I'm planning to go 8 drives with 2 parity drives. If I go with this setup, are the R/W speeds similar to Raid6? 6x Read speeds will be fine for reading the files fast enough, as I'm reading far more often than writing, and have an onboard 2x1TB SDD Raided together as a scratch disk for outputting/render caching. I think that will be the best/cheapest solution. When I'm copying to this thing, I'll almost always be bottlenecked by the external drive that was handed to me anyways

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Armagnac posted:

Thanks for the Raid Calc, Helpful to get a sense of what to expect. I wish it had RAIDZ2 configurations as I was planning to go ZFS with this build.

I'm planning to go 8 drives with 2 parity drives. If I go with this setup, are the R/W speeds similar to Raid6? 6x Read speeds will be fine for reading the files fast enough, as I'm reading far more often than writing, and have an onboard 2x1TB SDD Raided together as a scratch disk for outputting/render caching. I think that will be the best/cheapest solution. When I'm copying to this thing, I'll almost always be bottlenecked by the external drive that was handed to me anyways

Yeah, I would expect RAIDZ2 performance to track pretty closely to RAID6, they are doing essentially the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
RAID-Z2 is not RAID6. RAID-Z2 will give you the read and write performance of the slowest disc in the vdev.