Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

connorrr posted:

Sorry lemme be camera nerdy about this.

What you've said isn't quite right - implying that modern film has a narrower dynamic range than modern digital sensors isn't correct (although film from the 60s and 70s did). Digital sensors on some cameras can capture "HDR" by exposing multiple times rapidly and combining the images - like, the RED motion cameras do this and achieve around 15 stops of dynamic range. Most pro-sumer camera sensors approach 12-ish stops of dynamic range (per exposure, not doing an HDR setting), while film reaches 13 or 14.

I'm also pretty sure that CCDs don't work the way you describe, "ignoring" overexposed areas of the sensor in software. At least I've never come across a camera that can do this - and if they could you can bet they'd be putting it all over the marketing materials. Overexposure on a digital sensor results in pure white, with no color or brightness data, all 11111111's. You can see this for yourself - a camera raw file is an unprocessed dump of every bit coming from the sensor. You discard your pure white pixels (11111111's or whatever) and you have no other data to replace them with. Just flat pixels.

But a wider point is that cameras don't use CCDs these days anyway because CMOS is cheaper and has over time become more efficient for most purposes. CMOS also doesn't selectively reduce the current flowing through overexposed regions though.

Thanks for the info, I'm not really an expert or anything, just talking based on my own flawed understanding. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

DumbparameciuM posted:

Before Trumpchat overtakes this thread as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqu2p5n-o8

On the one hand he climbed it already so he knows what he's getting into. On the other hand, he seems to have a deathwish and with a 5 month old child, he is a selfish rear end in a top hat.

elwood fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 22, 2016

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

elwood posted:

On the one hand he climbed it already so he knows what he's getting into. On the other hand, he seems to have a deathwish and with a 5 month old child, he is a selfish rear end in a top hat.

i get that he wants to complete the project the avalanche cut short :shrug:

from the sound of it he views it as his career's magnum opus. hopefully he succeeds and retires. if he doesn't... well, it's not like the kid will remember it

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i get that he wants to complete the project the avalanche cut short :shrug:

from the sound of it he views it as his career's magnum opus. hopefully he succeeds and retires. if he doesn't... well, it's not like the kid will remember it

Yeah. I sort of see where he's coming from, sounds like he's getting a reality check every couple of months what with all his mates dying out wing-suiting.

I reckon if he does do it he'll probably be jumping super conservatively, just enough to tick the box without getting himself killed, but I dunno, depends on the mindset. Can't say he doesn't have his eyes open though.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

DumbparameciuM posted:

Before Trumpchat overtakes this thread as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqu2p5n-o8

"I lost seven friends in the last two months".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

He's a "professional wingsuit pilot," so he'll be dead pretty soon anyway. I guess he may as well die on Everest.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Aphex- posted:

This isn't Everest related but it's about the Himalayas, so for anyone interested in other long distance Himalayan hikes here's a little summary of the Annapurna Circuit which I just came back from hiking.

This is the route and length that I took, it comes in at around 110 miles. You can continue it for longer but due to time constraints and work that's when I had to stop. I think the two best things about the trek (apart from the views of the Annapurnas) are the gradual change in climate and environments, and the culture and villages you pass on the way.

It starts in the town of Besisahar about 6/7 hours west of Kathmandu by road. The first few days of the trek are in subtropical rainforest type climates in which you sweat like nobody's business. Very dense and lush vegetation.

After a few days you find yourself in pine forests and cooler temperatures. The smell of the pine is just incredible and I could have honestly spent a long time just in this part exploring and hiking around.

There are some really cool Buddhist villages and structures all over the circuit like Gompas (Monasteries), Stupas and Mani Walls.

Coming out of the pine forests as you climb higher you get to the more alpine regions which give you the first real sights of the Annapurnas. This is Annapurna II.

Cheeky panorama of the Manang Valley.

There was this awesome trail through a landslide area with some amazing rock formations.

More mountains.

Ruins of the village of Upper Khangsar dwarfed by mountains.

Then we got to Thorung-La pass which is 5416 metres high. I didn't suffer any symptoms of AMS and when I got to the top I definitely felt like I could go higher. We had spent 5 days previous to this above 4000 metres which helped in acclimatisation. It's still loving hard work walking uphill at that altitude though.

Panorama of the Muktinath Valley on the other side of the pass. This is a holy site for both Hindus and Buddhists. It's a very cool place. The landscape really changes once you're in this valley as it's in the Monsoon's rain shadow, it's much more barren compared to the other side. That bigass mountain you can see in the background above Muktinath town is Dhaulagiri, the 7th highest mountain in the world. It's a beast.

This is a great little village called Kagbeni, very old and so much character.

And then this is the place where I finished, Marpha.

If you do go to Nepal and do a trek I HIGHLY recommend going to the lakeside town of Pokhara afterwards, it's the perfect place to relax for a few days.

Honestly doing the circuit is one of the best things I've ever done, I can't rate it highly enough. I will absolutely be going back to Nepal to do others, like EBC. I've taken lots more photos if anyone else wants to check them out, the whole album is here.

Bonus doggy pic!

this is cool you are cool, thanks for you pics

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah. I sort of see where he's coming from, sounds like he's getting a reality check every couple of months what with all his mates dying out wing-suiting.

I reckon if he does do it he'll probably be jumping super conservatively, just enough to tick the box without getting himself killed, but I dunno, depends on the mindset. Can't say he doesn't have his eyes open though.

It's a total mixed bag. I can see why he's so obsessed and passionate, but at the same time, with a kid, it's like maybe you should take a step back from recklessness because there's another life dependent on you. I was pretty reckless for a while and then I nearly died, and after that moment I totally scaled back and couldn't push myself like I used to ever again. And I don't even have a kid. I suppose maybe since he hasn't personally had a near miss he still feels fairly invincible even though he knows of so many deaths, he isn't that worried, but his situation is far more serious than mine was. Most scrambling accidents result in injuries, whereas most base jumping accidents result in death.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

this is cool you are cool, thanks for you pics

Thanks! Glad you like them. Nepal is cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Picnic Princess posted:

It's a total mixed bag. I can see why he's so obsessed and passionate, but at the same time, with a kid, it's like maybe you should take a step back from recklessness because there's another life dependent on you. I was pretty reckless for a while and then I nearly died, and after that moment I totally scaled back and couldn't push myself like I used to ever again. And I don't even have a kid. I suppose maybe since he hasn't personally had a near miss he still feels fairly invincible even though he knows of so many deaths, he isn't that worried, but his situation is far more serious than mine was. Most scrambling accidents result in injuries, whereas most base jumping accidents result in death.

Based on that video he seems to realize he has his son and needs to stop doing so much stupid stuff. Seems like this Everest thing is something he feels like he really needs to do no matter what. After that he might be able to say he's done. Though you can't expect a long life if your immediate reaction to being able to glide on your own is "yeah but we should do this five feet away from a jagged cliff."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

Based on that video he seems to realize he has his son and needs to stop doing so much stupid stuff. Seems like this Everest thing is something he feels like he really needs to do no matter what. After that he might be able to say he's done.

Problem is, addicts are always gonna take that last hit before they quit.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqBj2ZlxwGc

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
My favourite part are the two muppets standing on the guide rope in their crampons. "This rope will save your *snap* liffffff................"

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I looked through my pictures and made an album if anyones still interested:

https://imgur.com/gallery/FE4QN

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Is one of you working for ClickHole?

http://www.clickhole.com/article/car-crash-survivor-called-completing-physical-ther-5163

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you, Elwood and Aphex, for those pictures. They made a couch-sitter like me understand why you'd hike in the Himalayas.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

This reminds me. At my former gym they had a stair master Everest thing, where if you "climbed" Everest on a stir master you got your picture on the wall. :jerkbag:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

This reminds me. At my former gym they had a stair master Everest thing, where if you "climbed" Everest on a stir master you got your picture on the wall. :jerkbag:

You have to go back to that gym and "climb" Everest in a yellow parka.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Arivia posted:

You have to go back to that gym and "climb" Everest in a yellow parka.

Green boots also acceptable

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

ZombieLenin posted:

Post picture of yourself draped in a canadian flag lying on the stairmaster pls

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

*photoshops self at top of stair master for motivation*

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ZombieLenin posted:

i'm sorry you weren't fit enough to everest the stairmaster, goon sire

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Some friends of mine used to work at a ski resort, and there was this local dude who did serious backcountry skiiing and did about 20,000 vertical feet ascending on skins every day.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Typical arrogant gym management. How dare they mock The Great Mountain. Everest is not to be taken lightly.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

canyoneer posted:

Some friends of mine used to work at a ski resort, and there was this local dude who did serious backcountry skiiing and did about 20,000 vertical feet ascending on skins every day.

I'm skeptical. 6 km altitude gain? I'm not sure there's enough time in a day to do that. I mean ascending by foot up a dry mountain that much would be pretty hard.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you can't trust an internet stranger retelling a third hand anecdote he heard 10 years ago, then I don't know who you can trust.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Last Chance posted:

Typical arrogant gym management. How dare they mock The Great Mountain. Everest is not to be taken lightly.

It's not even that. I'm imaging the people whose picture was on the wall going on with their lives and talking about the time they "basically climbed Everest." You know that has to happen.

Kind of in line with the click-hole article I was quoting, which is why I was reminded of it and told the story.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man I thought this thread had disappeared! Awesome pictures, Elwood!

Mountaineering scares the heck out of me and I don't exactly know why. I grew up in the Rockies, but every time I see a really big mountain I panic a little bit. I'm glad other people are brave enough to go up there and die for my amusement.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

It's not even that. I'm imaging the people whose picture was on the wall going on with their lives and talking about the time they "basically climbed Everest." You know that has to happen.

Kind of in line with the click-hole article I was quoting, which is why I was reminded of it and told the story.

so you're mad at your imagination?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Man I thought this thread had disappeared! Awesome pictures, Elwood!

Mountaineering scares the heck out of me and I don't exactly know why. I grew up in the Rockies, but every time I see a really big mountain I panic a little bit. I'm glad other people are brave enough to go up there and die for my amusement.

Aren't most of the taller mountains in the Rockies basically hikes? I don't think there's much mountaineering going on there unless you go out of your way.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aren't most of the taller mountains in the Rockies basically hikes? I don't think there's much mountaineering going on there unless you go out of your way.

Depends on which Rockies. The USA, yes, Canada, absolutely not.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Picnic Princess posted:

Depends on which Rockies. The USA, yes, Canada, absolutely not.

Can confirm, looking at Canadian Rockies right now. Hikes are fine until you break the treeline. Then it's still fine or it feels like everything wants you to gently caress off and/or die depending on what the mountain ate for breakfast. And sometimes it's really loving cold.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah the tallest mountain in my state was down south and it actually looks like a mountain, but even then it's only ~12,000 feet tall and from what I understand you can mostly just hike up it.

The rest of the mountains near us were mountainy but you could totally walk straight up them if you cared enough to do so. Same with the Cascades - a couple real mountains but mostly just parts where the road goes up for a while and then back down. I was up in Alaska last summer though and some of the mountains there were just mind-blowing. Of course I stood there with my mouth agape like an idiot tourist and everyone else was like "Yeah, those don't even have a name, they're just... y'know... mountains."

I'm glad I took up much safer hobbies like internet posting and freediving :D

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

I was up in Alaska last summer though and some of the mountains there were just mind-blowing. Of course I stood there with my mouth agape like an idiot tourist and everyone else was like "Yeah, those don't even have a name, they're just... y'know... mountains."

Glad to hear that I'm not alone in having had that reaction.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

OMGVBFLOL posted:

so you're mad at your imagination?

That's pretty deep and complex. Let me just retort by saying we are always angry about things we imagine. And by that, I mean, every time you get angry about something, even if it's somebody just curb stomped your mom, you are getting angry based on your idiosyncratic (or socially conditioned, pick one, either works) interpretation of events. This is an imaginative process.

So yes, I am angry about my imagination(s). So are you. Right now.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

That's pretty deep and complex. Let me just retort by saying we are always angry about things we imagine. And by that, I mean, every time you get angry about something, even if it's somebody just curb stomped your mom, you are getting angry based on your idiosyncratic (or socially conditioned, pick one, either works) interpretation of events. This is an imaginative process.

right, but in your case you thought up an fictional person & fictional actions for them, then posted about how mad you were about this fiction you'd imagined

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

ZombieLenin posted:

Jesus penis someone is excited about his freshman philosophy class. I imagine.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
carl sagan climbing everest with a little help from his sherpa of the imagination

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, but in your case you thought up an fictional person & fictional actions for them, then posted about how mad you were about this fiction you'd imagined

No, not really. No more than you're fictionalizing me right now. They had a giant picture of themselves on the gym wall that said "I climbed Mt. Everest."

Given that, I don't even think my fictionalization of them violates what most people would consider a fair inference. I guess though you could try to continue trying to delegitimize my reaction by bringing up the problem of induction; however, one wonders what existential threat does my mockery pose to you?

Do you have a giant picture of yourself on the wall of your gym along with the words "I climbed Mt. Everest?" or something? Am I accidentally making fun of you, or are you just one of those people who likes to argue on the internet for the exercise? No shame either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

No, not really. No more than you're fictionalizing me right now. They had a giant picture of themselves on the gym wall that said "I climbed Mt. Everest."

Given that, I don't even think my fictionalization of them violates what most people would consider a fair inference. I guess though you could try to continue trying to delegitimize my reaction by bringing up the problem of induction; however, one wonders what existential threat does my mockery pose to you?

Do you have a giant picture of yourself on the wall of your gym along with the words "I climbed Mt. Everest?" or something? Am I accidentally making fun of you, or are you just one of those people who likes to argue on the internet for the exercise? No shame either way.

wait, it literally said "i climbed mt everest" lmao yeah no im with you that's dumb