Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I guess it depends on what you mean by not using violence. If you're talking about letting people wear themselves out against a riot shield line instead of shooting journalists with baton rounds, yeah that'd be much better. If you mean "letting the protestors stop construction and/or some of them damage more equipment" then lolno.

Recoome posted:

Why are you so quick to defend the brutal and disproportionate police actions?

You've got to troll a little more subtly than this. Even the CS = VX routine was more believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Please for the love of god won't somebody think about the feelings of the equipment and its loved ones?!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yeah hahaha sorry, opposing police brutality is trolling

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DeusExMachinima posted:

I guess it depends on what you mean by not using violence. If you're talking about letting people wear themselves out against a riot shield line instead of shooting journalists with baton rounds, yeah that'd be much better. If you mean "letting the protestors stop construction and/or some of them damage more equipment" then lolno.

Why do you prioritize continuing construction over not hurting protestors?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm beginning to get the feeling that forums poster DeusExMachinma is a really big fan of police violence against protesters

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

botany posted:

Why do you prioritize continuing construction over not hurting protestors?

Because I don't think trespassing should be legal. The police should use the minimal amount of force necessary to remove protestors. Eventually, someone, somewhere will get hurt in that process no matter how cool-headed and civil the cops might be. They accepted that possibility when they walked onto someone else's property against the owner's express wishes. Anyone who destroys someone else's property should be taken to court and have their wages garnished/assets confiscated until the (possibly multimillion dollar) machine they damaged is covered.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
What is the problem with letting protestors stop construction. They have a right to protest.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

quote:

Morton County’s sheriff ,Kyle Kirchmeier, said in a statement on Monday that the tribe had been “hijacked” by “violent factions” made up of “evil agitators”.
Literally calling the protestors evil.

Also

ACLU posted:

In a press conference, Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier told reporters, “We don’t have a water cannon. I don’t know where the term water cannon comes from. This was basically just a fire hose.”

THen what is this https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/800646152051982336

I am particularly terrified of the threat posed by that evil dancer near the end of the video who keeps hollering "love will find a way!"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 25, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeusExMachinima posted:

Because I don't think trespassing should be legal. The police should use the minimal amount of force necessary to remove protestors. Eventually, someone, somewhere will get hurt in that process no matter how cool-headed and civil the cops might be. They accepted that possibility when they walked onto someone else's property against the owner's express wishes. Anyone who destroys someone else's property should be taken to court and have their wages garnished/assets confiscated until the (possibly multimillion dollar) machine they damaged is covered.
What's your opinion on Blair Mountain?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well I don't usually condone siq av burns but lmao

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

coyo7e posted:

What's your opinion on Blair Mountain?

Considering the Baldwin-Felts PMC's actions in the Matewan Massacre, the fuzz started that one.

e: yessssssss finally no more heavy metal av ty

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DeusExMachinima posted:

Because I don't think trespassing should be legal.

Trespassing isn't legal. That's not up for discussion. The question is why, if faced with a group of protestors, you prefer continued construction to not hurting protestors. It seems to me like you think getting a pipeline done is more important than human health and safety, and I'm wondering why that is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think the better underlying question is why DXE here and the media in general are so comfortable and in fact flatly eager to try and draw a false equivalency of power between heavily armed police 'tactical' forces using federally-supplied military surplus gear and a bunch of unarmed people attempting to walk across a bridge.

It certainly makes it easier to justify use of force when you frame in it a manner that suggests the police are in any way under physical threat, doesn't it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

botany posted:

Trespassing isn't legal. That's not up for discussion. The question is why, if faced with a group of protestors, you prefer continued construction to not hurting protestors. It seems to me like you think getting a pipeline done is more important than human health and safety, and I'm wondering why that is.

IMHO you should avoid hurting the protestors as much as possible, short of not moving to evict them per the owner's wishes. Or in this case, you stop them from interfering with as little force as is necessary (not that the ND cops have been abiding by that principle). The impression you should be getting is that, assuming a competent police force, how hurt you get trespassing is up to you.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
As a follow-up question for DeusExMachinima, when the Bundy militia occupied the Malheur compound, did you advocate that the authorities go in with force? If so, why? If not, why not?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeusExMachinima posted:

Considering the Baldwin-Felts PMC's actions in the Matewan Massacre, the fuzz started that one.

e: yessssssss finally no more heavy metal av ty
Considering that the employees were no longer welcome when they started striking, weren't they trespassing?

Considering that the strikers took up weapons, don't you feel they got what they deserved?

Also I hadn't seen the video in this link before, but around 1:15-1:25ish, what the gently caress was that if it wasn't a some sort of flashbang?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/24/standing-rock-thanksgiving-jane-fonda-dakota-access-pipeline

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

IMHO you should avoid hurting the protestors as much as possible, short of not moving to evict them at all per the owner's wishes. Or in this case, you stop them from interfering with as little force as is necessary (not that the ND cops have been abiding by that principle).

Why don't you believe people have a right to protest

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

Literally calling the protestors evil.

Also

THen what is this https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/800646152051982336

He's way out of his depth.

Also lol the water cannon says Stutsman County, meaning it is actually trucked in from another part of the state. I know Cass County Sheriff (Fargo) is near the protest site as well. The whole state is rotten. I still like my farm, though.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DeusExMachinima posted:

IMHO you should avoid hurting the protestors as much as possible, short of not moving to evict them per the owner's wishes.

You're just restating your position. Why is the "short of" clause in there? Why are the owner's wishes more important than the health and safety of the protestors? Why is any of this precluded by deescalating and creating a dialogue, even if that takes a considerable amount of time which would delay the pipeline?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ He's also wilfully ignoring the fact that Embridge doesn't own that land.

reagan posted:

He's way out of his depth.

Also lol the water cannon says Stutsman County, meaning it is actually trucked in from another part of the state. I know Cass County Sheriff (Fargo) is near the protest site as well. The whole state is rotten. I still like my farm, though.
the last I heard there were police forced from five STATES - not counties.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

botany posted:

As a follow-up question for DeusExMachinima, when the Bundy militia occupied the Malheur compound, did you advocate that the authorities go in with force? If so, why? If not, why not?

Ideally the police should have gone in peacefully, read them their rights, and arrested them much more quickly than how it went down. If they tried to shoot the officers, well...

coyo7e posted:

Considering that the employees were no longer welcome when they started striking, weren't they trespassing?

Considering that the strikers took up weapons, don't you feel they got what they deserved?

I agree that ultimately the police had a duty to evict them for trespassing (how they went about it was totally blood-thirsty though). That situation is a little fuzzier though because the mine's PMC started a gunfight that killed a bunch of people. If DAPL's security officers showed up at the camp tomorrow and started gunning protestors down, that'd certainly be similar.

botany posted:

You're just restating your position. Why is the "short of" clause in there? Why are the owner's wishes more important than the health and safety of the protestors? Why is any of this precluded by deescalating and creating a dialogue, even if that takes a considerable amount of time which would delay the pipeline?

Because the owner's rights remain the same regardless of someone else's illegal actions, and a right delayed is a right denied.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeusExMachinima posted:

I agree that ultimately the police had a duty to evict them for trespassing (how they went about it was totally blood-thirsty though). That situation is a little fuzzier though because the mine's PMC started a gunfight that killed a bunch of people. If DAPL's security officers showed up at the camp tomorrow and started gunning protestors down, that'd certainly be similar.
The strikers showed up armed - what else were they supposed to do but defend themselves?

How much cognitive dissonance can you handle?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DeusExMachinima posted:

Ideally the police should have gone in peacefully, read them their rights, and arrested them much more quickly than how it went down. If they tried to shoot the officers, well...
Yet the way they handled the situation led to a peaceful outcome (Tarpman excluded) and the situation still got resolved.

quote:

Because the owner's rights remain the same regardless of someone else's illegal actions, and a right delayed is a right denied.
The protestors have a right to protest, and human beings in general have a right to health and safety. Why do you think property rights are more important?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

botany posted:

The protestors have a right to protest, and human beings in general have a right to health and safety. Why do you think property rights are more important?

I think you'll find the right to crack some hippie skulls is the most important right

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ He's also wilfully ignoring the fact that Embridge doesn't own that land.

the last I heard there were police forced from five STATES - not counties.

I was living in Bismarck and Minot up until April of this year but I haven't had a chance to keep up. Which states? Montana/South Dakota/Minnesota? Who else?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Recoome posted:

I think you'll find the right to crack some hippie skulls is the most important right

its okay if you crack them gently

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNNEwgdjbsm/

reagan posted:

I was living in Bismarck and Minot up until April of this year but I haven't had a chance to keep up. Which states? Montana/South Dakota/Minnesota? Who else?
http://sacredstonecamp.org/blog/2016/10/28/police-from-5-states-escalate-violence-shoot-horses-to-clear-1851-treaty-camp

quote:

Law enforcement from at least five states (North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wyoming, Nebraska) were present today through EMAC, the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s5zcXccNMY

2016.mov

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

botany posted:

Yet the way they handled the situation led to a peaceful outcome (Tarpman excluded) and the situation still got resolved.

The end result was that everyone got arrested and/or shot depending on their actions, so if that's what you mean by "resolved" I'm down with that.

quote:

There is no clash of rights here because you do not have the right to say whatever you want on private property. If you're under my roof and decide to heil Hitler you'll be shown the door and your rights will be 100% untouched.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Show me a documented source with video or pictorial evidence that isn't "police say." I'll wait.

I linked a video of protesters lobbing an incendiary at the police line this afternoon. There is tons of documentation of protester violence and I don't understand the kind of willfull ignorance required to just ignore it.

RBC posted:

Why don't you believe people have a right to protest

People have a right to protest within the law but no right to break the law in order to protest, and certainly no right to expect the authorities to do nothing while they wreck a construction site. Like....you guys cannot possibly be serious.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Ah yes silly protesters, please get your license from the state, stand in the designated protest square, and do not break the law. Now, have a good day while we completely ignore you and your demands.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wateroverfire posted:

I linked a video of protesters lobbing an incendiary at the police line this afternoon. There is tons of documentation of protester violence and I don't understand the kind of willfull ignorance required to just ignore it.

People have a right to protest within the law but no right to break the law in order to protest, and certainly no right to expect the authorities to do nothing while they wreck a construction site. Like....you guys cannot possibly be serious.
Yes, everybody needs to just acquiesce to your argument because you linked a youtube video (which has 1 comment and 3 up or down votes - total) that is supposedly some sort of infrared/etc drone video from an unknown source, linked by a youtube channel named "News Updates" which sandwiched that video in between a video of a guy drinking vodka with a shovel and something about goats (edit: oops, it was mini horses). Ironically while I was posting in response to your "video proof" (and goddamn somebody must've had an AMAZING arm to throw that high and far) youtube was left on autoplay and the very next video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8NFbAZb1Q

Shut the gently caress up until you can find something that resembles believable, citable sources

the "News Updates Channel"'s popular videos

I wasn't going to mention how the first recommend subscriber channel when I clicked on "News Updates" was literally Alex Jones' official channel - but seriously that means something.
If anybody gives a gently caress about his supposed "video proof" go ahead and watch it for yourself, note the number of views and responses, and the source.

Also note the title of his second link, in case you wonder if he's dredging up sources which may be biased or not.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 25, 2016

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

DuesExMachina do you know anything about treaty rights and who actually owns this land or are you just going to flutter around the fact that the land ownership is basically the issue here and pretend natives have no rights

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RBC posted:

DuesExMachina do you know anything about treaty rights and who actually owns this land or are you just going to flutter around the fact that the land ownership is basically the issue here and pretend natives have no rights
the latter - look at how soft-handed he wants to be with the Malheur people, or how the Battle of Blair Mountain was obviously on the wrong part of the authorities despite the striking workers being trespassers as soon as they went on strike and picked up their rifles

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

RBC posted:

The pipeline isn't on treaty land. I'm unclear if the camp is or not. Any sacred sites on pipeline land has already been hosed up because the pipeline is like 98% done and the reservation never worked with the ACE to identify sites. The only issue of note is whether or not any environmental hazard to the water has been minimized and the protestors are not the final arbiters of that.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Ah yes silly protesters, please get your license from the state, stand in the designated protest square, and do not break the law. Now, have a good day while we completely ignore you and your demands.

By all means you do what you gotta do. Just be aware of what it is you're potentially getting yourself into beforehand. If you burn someone's (possibly multimillion dollar) equipment and you get caught, you should have to make restitution. However long that takes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeusExMachinima posted:

The pipeline isn't on treaty land. I'm unclear if the camp is or not. Any sacred sites on pipeline land has already been hosed up because the pipeline is like 98% done and the reservation never worked with the ACE to identify sites. The only issue of note is whether or not any environmental hazard to the water has been minimized and the protestors are not the final arbiters of that.

By all means you do what you gotta do. Just be aware of what it is you're potentially getting yourself into beforehand. If you burn someone's (possibly multimillion dollar) equipment and you get caught, you should have to make restitution. However long that takes.
I find it weird how in one line you say hey, don't cry over spilt milk and then - in the very paragraph - saying "hey do what you need to do, put your man pants on - however long it takes"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

The pipeline isn't on treaty land.

it is, that's not up for debate

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RBC posted:

it is, that's not up for debate

I think this was why I thought Obama was so silent on the issue, because it was on a private individual's owned land, and not treaty-tribe land. My God Obama.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nonsense posted:

I think this was why I thought Obama was so silent on the issue, because it was on a private individual's owned land, and not treaty-tribe land. My God Obama.

It's okay. Pretending the Treaty of Fort Laramie didn't happen is traditional at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Looks like a group felt like getting a burger https://www.facebook.com/kevin.happychappy/videos/1808777866061384/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

• Locked thread