Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You really can't say anything about gun control because there's no way it won't be twisted according to the paranoid style, into a secret slippery slope plot to take the guns away.

If you really want gun control to be politically viable then arm blacks, hispanics, and communists - then march them up and down every main street in formation. People will be begging for gun control then.

You can though, you just need a simple message and to not come off as not knowing nothing. People who are really into guns don't trust someone who talks about "assault rifles" and "clips", yeah it might seem like a dumb thing to get hung up on, but it makes those people not trust you. My dad was from rural Michigan and was a life long hunter and NRA member, he voted for both parties over the years, but voted for Bush twice because he lived in a poor area and didnt trust dems on guns. He voted for Obama twice as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Love the Democratic defense of "terrorist watch lists" being used to ban gun sales in the shade of the trump administration looking for ways to deny leftists and minorities methods of self defense.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You really can't say anything about gun control because there's no way it won't be twisted according to the paranoid style, into a secret slippery slope plot to take the guns away.

If you really want gun control to be politically viable then arm blacks, hispanics, and communists - then march them up and down every main street in formation. People will be begging for gun control then.

Government subsidized AR-15s for everyone. Think of the jobs involved in manufacturing/distribution.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fiction posted:

Love the Democratic defense of "terrorist watch lists" being used to ban gun sales in the shade of the trump administration looking for ways to deny leftists and minorities methods of self defense.

It is fortunate then that conservatives leave all the loop holes they do, and it is then only unfortunate one has to arm oneself to begin with at that point.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

You can though, you just need a simple message and to not come off as not knowing nothing. People who are really into guns don't trust someone who talks about "assault rifles" and "clips", yeah it might seem like a dumb thing to get hung up on, but it makes those people not trust you. My dad was from rural Michigan and was a life long hunter and NRA member, he voted for both parties over the years, but voted for Bush twice because he lived in a poor area and didnt trust dems on guns. He voted for Obama twice as well.

Sounds like a clever liberal trick to me. They must have moles on AR15 forum feeding them intelligence so they can fool us into trusting them.

ragzilla posted:

Government subsidized AR-15s for everyone. Think of the jobs involved in manufacturing/distribution.

I like this. This is good. I'd like to see Republican lawmakers reflexively squeal when they think of how many undesirables will be armed, or how free guns for the people will affect private arms sales.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Nov 25, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

theflyingexecutive posted:

they need to focus on the actually harmful guns: CC handguns and assault rifles. rn it's just too easy for republicans to rally hunters. I think bob Casey does it well

Drop "assault rifles" and focus on straw purchase handguns and you have honest to god "common sense gun control".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Drop "assault rifles" and focus on straw purchase handguns and you have honest to god "common sense gun control".

They'll still stop it from leaving debate. The 90s and dubious terrible pretentious gun legislation killed any kind of common sense legislation being possible. It really would take direct-constitutional crisis type action.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Democrats should pass a law that says you have to call them "clips" instead of "magazines" and then harness the heat emitted by the ever-building internal rage of gun forum dudes as a green energy program.

I'd rather effective laws getting passed, or even
better, maybe enforce the already existing laws?

Crazy I know, but maybe we could try it?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...st-one-expired/

*you can embed tweets just by pasting the link into your post ;)

Oh come the gently caress on. One of these things was used in the worst mass shooting in human history and the second worst terrorism incident of the 20th century, and you think the takeaway is "it's unreasonable to ever say anything bad about any kind of gun"?

Thanks for the info on pasting tweets.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nonsense posted:

They'll still stop it from leaving debate. The 90s and dubious terrible pretentious gun legislation killed any kind of common sense legislation being possible. It really would take direct-constitutional crisis type action.

too many minorities owning guns count as a constitutional crises?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Joementum posted:

Democrats should pass a law that says you have to call them "clips" instead of "magazines" and then harness the heat emitted by the ever-building internal rage of gun forum dudes as a green energy program.

the democrats are all idiots, they wont be passing any laws anytime soon

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

I think Assad is bad because he's killed like 400,000 of his own people. Just my hot take there.

The badness of Assad has as much to do with the cause of the Syrian Civil War as the badness of Saddam had with Operation Iraqi Freedom

Unless by "Bad" you mean "uncooperative with Washington"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody gave a poo poo about Newtown. Those kids deaths meant nothing to anybody and their parents are still harassed by conspiracy theorists. You cannot control guns in America it seems, they are either here to stay or abolished forever because the people in power suck rear end. I doubt the latter will ever be true.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Terror Sweat posted:

the democrats are all idiots, they wont be passing any laws anytime soon

this is true. the biggest thing that stuck out to me was when they did a sit in, in congress. dude you're loving senators use your loving office and your influence don't loving do a loving sit in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agrajag posted:

this is true. the biggest thing that stuck out to me was when they did a sit in, in congress. dude you're loving senators use your loving office and your influence don't loving do a loving sit in.

They also booed Bernie when he made a speech in Congress about income inequality and how they were writing off a good portion of the country.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LegoPirateNinja posted:

The badness of Assad has as much to do with the cause of the Syrian Civil War as the badness of Saddam had with Operation Iraqi Freedom

Yeah, all those human rights abuses, torture and killing of his enemies, socioeconomic squalor Assad caused and war crimes that would make Hitler blush, were just charming little idiosyncrasies the people thought of as part of the unique Syrian way of life.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Nov 25, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

Well the trick is you would say "I'm not interested in passing any new gun laws." Because no new gun laws are required to stop those things and reduce gun crime substantially.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Powercrazy posted:

I'd rather effective laws getting passed, or even
better, maybe enforce the already existing laws?

Crazy I know, but maybe we could try it?

Agreed. We should enjoy existing state laws on high capacity clips. :)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Nobody gave a poo poo about Newtown. Those kids deaths meant nothing to anybody and their parents are still harassed by conspiracy theorists. You cannot control guns in America it seems, they are either here to stay or abolished forever because the people in power suck rear end. I doubt the latter will ever be true.
Again, you do understand that "we can't change people's minds, there's no chance, just give up" fits way better as an argument about income inequality on every level , than gun control, right?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Again, you do understand that "we can't change people's minds, there's no chance, just give up" fits way better as an argument about income inequality on every level , than gun control, right?

Nobody is going to start killing and taking over federal land and threatening federal officials because we reform the way people pay for universities, or get a child-day care subsidized or raise the minimum-wage.

Ban guns and there'll be civil war period.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
If you want more gun control try shooting some politicians

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Nobody is going to start killing and taking over federal land and threatening federal officials because we reform the way people pay for universities, or get a child-day care subsidized or raise the minimum-wage.

Ban guns and there'll be civil war period.

We're not talking about the intensity and fury to which a subset of voters are motivated by the issue. You don't get extra votes for screaming while handing in your ballot. This is purely about how well an issue moves people from voting for Democrats to voting for Republicans, about how many votes are lost by Dems bringing it up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

We're not talking about the intensity and fury to which a subset of voters are motivated by the issue. This is purely about how well an issue moves people from voting for Democrats to voting for Republicans, about how many votes are lost by it.

Hillary was probably the most anti-gun candidate in American history.

A lot of votes in the geography that matters for the lovely electoral college.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Agreed. We should enjoy existing state laws on high capacity clips. :)

Yea those are dumb, but I'm not super interested in purging stupid laws because it's a sisyphean task.

Though standardizing federal gun laws across all the states and (blue cities) would own.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. One of these things was used in the worst mass shooting in human history and the second worst terrorism incident of the 20th century, and you think the takeaway is "it's unreasonable to ever say anything bad about any kind of gun"?

Your bias for Hillary caused you to skew your paraphrasing of her actual statements. I provided the full and relevant quote for context. You may not think what Hillary said was such a big deal, but when she brings up the specter of an assault weapons ban, that sounds to gun folks an awful lot like "I'm going to take away your (particular) guns."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Pi Didn't Say everyone on the right, I said single issue gun voters - the people who see guns as the only important matter, and for whom any talk of gun control in any way must be destroyed.

If you have an explanation for why this person, who hears "expanded background checks to catch potentially dangerous individuals" as "FEMA death camps!", is NOT a paranoid lunatic, please share it with the rest of us.

FEMA death camps is a leap, I'll give you that.

But maybe gun owners aren't stupid? Maybe they've seen how "reasonable, sensible regulations" on abortion have led to de-facto abortion bans in several states?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Maybe if democrats stop attempting to literally ban guns under the auspices of "gun-control" it wouldn't be such political loser for them?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

guns are cool and badass. run on that
robin hood is also cool and badass, run on that as well

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Hillary was probably the most anti-gun candidate in American history.

A lot of votes in the geography that matters for the lovely electoral college.

Did you miss that "I'm not here to take away your guns" thing, a phrase she used more often than a comma? I'd like some actual justification for this most anti-gun candidate ever thing.

Guy Goodbody posted:

FEMA death camps is a leap, I'll give you that.

But maybe gun owners aren't stupid? Maybe they've seen how "reasonable, sensible regulations" on abortion have led to de-facto abortion bans in several states?

I'm gonna bet money that a venn diagram of "people who put a deciding weight on gun rights when voting" and "people who are pro-choice and outraged at Republicans subverting Roe v. Wade" looks like a circle in Chicago and another in Peru.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Loving Tulsi "Genocide the Musslemen" Gabbard just because she was in Bernie's corner is the funniest leftist position in history.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zegermans posted:

Loving Tulsi "Genocide the Musslemen" Gabbard just because she was in Bernie's corner is the funniest leftist position in history.

Seeing her name thrown around on election night for 2020 was odd.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

I'm gonna bet money that a venn diagram of "people who put a deciding weight on gun rights when voting" and "people who are pro-choice and outraged at Republicans subverting Roe v. Wade" looks like a circle in Chicago and another in Peru.

Who said otherwise?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Duckworth is at least a Senator where Democrats have a better chance for action there and not just a rep. (Gabbard won't really be doing anything).

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who said otherwise?

I'm pretty sure that the single issue gun voters don't see a single thing wrong, overreaching or underhanded in those laws.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

So what can incoming (and remaining) Dems in the House & Senate do to most frustrate/stymie Rs? Coopt the R strategy of gridlock?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fulchrum posted:

I honestly am not sure what event you are referring to here. Or why you feel "it was used in" is an adequate and complete condemnation.

Honestly talking to you across multiple threads now I am beginning to think you are just intentionally channeling all the worst parts of the Democratic party as some sort of gimmick.

Lets check - how do you feel about forced bussing?

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Nov 25, 2016

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

So what can incoming (and remaining) Dems in the House & Senate do to most frustrate/stymie Rs? Coopt the R strategy of gridlock?

they could do that, they will not do that however as the only requirement to joining the democratic party is to have your spine surgically removed

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fulchrum posted:

Also you would be super wrong, at least locally there is a lot of overlap between those groups. But then maybe its a regional thing.

Its also totally irrelevant if not contrary to the actual point, I am pretty sure.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Nov 25, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

I'm pretty sure that the single issue gun voters don't see a single thing wrong, overreaching or underhanded in those laws.

Where did I say they did? They could agree 100% with banning abortion. But the fact is, "sensible regulation" led to de-facto abortion bans. There's no reason it couldn't lead to the same for guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

...no, it's more like a "credit the empire for all the people killed on Alderaan" thing.

I guess Palpatine wouldn't have been forced to take action if those rebels hadn't attacked first.

Usually open rebellion is met with force my man. Assad should have stepped down, but what happened instead was incredibly predictable.

• Locked thread