Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We had margaritas with spice infused simple syrup. It was really good, and better than the normal martinis (aka vodka with an olive tossed in and closed bottle of vermouth waved over it) than my cousins normally make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I was sober tonight, had to drive after, but at my thanksgiving visit earlier in the week, i had a lot of hot apple pie moonshine :bahgawd:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Please for the love of god put Vermouth in your martinis. The classic martini ratio is 2:1 with a splash of bitters. I don't know why everyone skimps on the Vermouth. Also use gin if you don't like gin don't have a martini. Most people are just doing shots of vodka and giving it a fancy name at this point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I went the other direction and became acquainted with the Martinez this year.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cerepol posted:

What else do you get it with. I've got the same issue with apples unless cooked thoroughly

Quite a few fruits, I have trouble with peaches and tangerines too. I never seem to have issues with oranges, bananas, or blueberries so I eat those a lot. All candy is terrible, I get painful cramps from pretty much everything. And gently caress fruit juices that uses apple juice as a filler, I've been fooled so many times!

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that metal chopsticks are more common in Korea because after the Korean War, wood was scarce but ore wasn't.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cardamom infused vodka/neutral spirit of choice.
Strong tea w/milk
Splash of cream (for extra better muddle in some butter while its hot instead of cream.)
Pinch of salt.
Drink while warm

Chai shots!

Disclaimer
Too much spice infuaed stuff can be rough as gently caress on your stomach. For example saffron is actually pretty drat toxic.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 10:47 on Nov 25, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

rodbeard posted:

Please for the love of god put Vermouth in your martinis. The classic martini ratio is 2:1 with a splash of bitters. I don't know why everyone skimps on the Vermouth.
If it's good gin, it tastes great on its own so you put less/no vermouth. :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiggum posted:

If it's good gin, it tastes great on its own so you put less/no vermouth. :shrug:

When I have a good rum, I have a rum & coke but without the coke.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Cerepol posted:

What else do you get it with. I've got the same issue with apples unless cooked thoroughly

I've got kind of the same thing, only it makes my mouth and throat tingle and itch (so far). I can't have raw pea pods and carrots, but don't get this way with citrus and berries. In my case there's a protein that makes my body think it's pollen or something, and cooking it gets rid of it.

I bought a veggie platter a couple months ago and found out that I could only eat half of it :smith:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

put the bi in bicycle posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that metal chopsticks are more common in Korea because after the Korean War, wood was scarce but ore wasn't.

That sounds a lot like cultural appropriation, you are on thin ice, buddy.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

A proper martini:

Put ice in shaker. Pour vermouth to cover ice. Shake until your hands are too cold.

Drain vermouth into sink. Pour in gin. Shake again until your hands are cold. Pour gin into chilled up glass. Add ice cube to taste for more vermouth.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thecluckmeme posted:

A proper martini:

Put ice in shaker. Pour vermouth to cover ice. Shake until your hands are too cold.

Drain vermouth into sink. Pour in gin. Shake again until your hands are cold. Pour gin into chilled up glass. Add ice cube to taste for more vermouth.

I prefer a 4:1 Gin to Vermouth ration, and Vodka martinis are an abomination. Blame Churchill for the stupid near zero vermouth theatrics.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Not sure whats going on here but I dont think the hotdog makes it better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxOqixWL-fs&t=30s

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Bloody Pom posted:

My mother was recently diagnosed with gallstones. Which means eventual gall bladder removal.

Dinner at home is about to get a whole lot more boring. :(

Doesn't really need to. I had my gall bladder removed 5 years ago and didn't change my diet at all, haven't had any issues because of it.

Edit:
To actually add something to AFP, I made myself blood and liverwurst with chopped onions yesterday and it looked like someone took an oily poo poo in my pan(I broke them up and mixed them to a single mass) with some onions sprinkled in.

Helios Grime has a new favorite as of 11:33 on Nov 25, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

put the bi in bicycle posted:

I don't know if that's true but it doesn't smell like bullshit, the Japanese had basically cut down every tree in Korea during the colonial period. The forests there all look kind of weird because they're replanted. Chopsticks are usually made from bamboo though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if that's true but it doesn't smell like bullshit, the Japanese had basically cut down every tree in Korea during the colonial period. The forests there all look kind of weird because they're replanted. Chopsticks are usually made from bamboo though.

Which grows so incredibly quickly that it is classified an invader plant in the U.S. In fact, in California the state reguarly does culls in many areas where they just chop it down and dispose of it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Chop them when they're young, so you can have an endless supply of bamboo shoots. I miss those and bean sprouts being in fast food Chinese.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Introduce wild pandas, under the Australian Pest Control Doctrine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

steinrokkan posted:

That sounds a lot like cultural appropriation, you are on thin ice, buddy.

Pardon me here but I don't get it

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

A proper martini:

If you don't like vermouth, why don't you just drink a drink with no vermouth in it? Surely it's legal to just chill and drink gin if that's what you like?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pirate Radar posted:

Pardon me here but I don't get it

It's a joke, I assumed he posted in a wrong thread, because there was no context for it here and a raging debate about chopsticks being cultural appropriation in a thread nextdoor.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
A rinse changes the end flavor of a cocktail without having the booze in it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

steinrokkan posted:

It's a joke, I assumed he posted in a wrong thread, because there was no context for it here and a raging debate about chopsticks being cultural appropriation in a thread nextdoor.

Oh, missed that, sorry

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Bismuth posted:

Not sure whats going on here but I dont think the hotdog makes it better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxOqixWL-fs&t=30s

Nah that looks great, it's a rice crepe with scrambled egg. That 30-second song loop must be maddening for her though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm not sure about "great", but it is probably pretty good. I always think it's odd how asian street food is considered to be something to be sought out, whereas if I saw a street food vendor in the US I would look at it like the rat burger vendor in Demolition Man.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm not sure about "great", but it is probably pretty good. I always think it's odd how asian street food is considered to be something to be sought out, whereas if I saw a street food vendor in the US I would look at it like the rat burger vendor in Demolition Man.

Local people in tourist spots don't "seek out" street food vendors, just gringo tourists who have never seen such a thing before.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you actually live there it's probably the same thing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sakurazuka posted:

If you actually live there it's probably the same thing.

Meh, anecdotally--when I was living in Thailand the street food next to the apartment was basically our local restaurant. It's not great, but it's pretty good, and it's about $1 or $1.25 a meal. I wasn't living in a tourist hotspot, nobody was seeking out my neighborhood for our stir-fry stall, but it wasn't like "ugh gross why would you eat there"

I did meet a Thai person once who wouldn't eat at street stalls, but that wasn't because it's dirty, it was because she was loaded and street food was for poors.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Locals eat street food all the time everywhere I've been in Asia. The idea of "street food" as a special category is because we don't really have it in the US. It's just food here. I can go down the street right now and get barbecue, there's a guy who sets up under the elevated road at night. It is literal street food because he takes over the middle of the road with stools and stuff.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
When I was at university the local high street had street food stalls in the open air market. Mostly doughnuts and chips, sometimes there was a sketchy dude selling fish out the back of his van.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pyrotoad posted:

When I was at university the local high street had street food stalls in the open air market. Mostly doughnuts and chips, sometimes there was a sketchy dude selling fish out the back of his van.

This sounds like the makings of a great comedy sketch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In my experience street food in the US is always boiled peanuts or smoked mullet out of the back of a truck, or a sign like "fried catfish" pointing down a dirt road into a forest, so I'm a bit apprehensive of it here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't have fish but here's a guy selling sketchy sheep out of a van.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Would

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now to be fair that local street market I was eating at was a loving nightmare of food safety by American standards, but it wasn't in America.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never gotten sick from street food. The only food that's consistently made me sick is fancy banquet places in China, they have terrible food safety practices and don't move a lot of product so it sits around and goes off so everyone gets to enjoy a week of stomach rumbling every time the company throws a party. Thank christ they don't do it often.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Taco truck? Halal chicken and rice? Hot pretzels? Roasted chestnuts (or other nuts)? Grilled cheese? Big Gay Ice Cream?

US street food is awesome and, at least in Boston/NY/SF/LA/DC, the city inspects the hell out of the trucks.

I'm :corsair: and have never once gotten food poisoning from street food in the US, though I've gotten it from white-tablecloth restaurants.

You are missing out, my friend.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't have fish but here's a guy selling sketchy sheep out of a van.

This reminds me of sketchy meat truck guys in the US. I'm imagining these guys backing up into someone's driveway, popping the back of their hatchback open having the hanging sheep carcasses flop out, then giving some fast talking spiel about how their boss bought too much sheep carcasses and they need to unload then for cheap.

They'd have to talk kind of loud to speak over the drone of all the flies buzzing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That guy sets up at the mosque downtown around prayer time so he knows his biz. Not pictured from other times: the cooler full of sheep guts next to the van and his kid sleeping on a pile of sheep carcasses in the back seat.