Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Smoremaster posted:

wait they don't have the lazer at dorney park anymore? i was gonna try to do the hercules, that was great before they tore it down.

Yeah hercules was also great, the ride that took its place is like the best in the park now though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I have the "Recommended" CPU. Before the patch, with the graphics set to medium (and water turned to low), super simple or fresh with some test rides used 50-60%. Mid 70ish for say, Pirate Battle career maps.

But 80-80% idling around, and 90-95% ly making a proper park or downloading a park from the workshop will sit at 80-85%% and pop over 95% if I have the nerve to ride a coaster or pan the camera too fast over built up buildings in a theme park game.

AFTER this optimization pacth... No apparent change? Flybys of a proper park still are just as, if not higher CPU % spikes than using the coaster cam. I still sit at 80-85% just watching a good park, still peak 95%. And that's if I'm running nothing but the game, not even a web browser or anything (So my CPU usage is like 1% or 2% before I turn the game on). Again, on MEDIUM settings, and water toned down further). With the "Recommended" CPU Intel i7-4770. If any improvement has shown for proper parks since last night, it's that it doesn't break into 90-96% as often compared to 89%

So I'd hate to think how much worse off anyone with LESS than Recommended are faring. I get the impression most of the testing and "Oh yeah, we totally optimized this enough right?" done was for smaller stuff or career mode setpieces. Not the stuff they encourage people to make and advertise as the game's strong point. Because if you meet the stated bar, you won't really notice much strain at first. Not until you actually start making progress on that big dream park, or download one.

Even if I try setting everything to lowest with the recommended CPU, that just makes a proper fancy park Idle at 70-75%. So leaves me wondering what horror shows other people are having, compared to me just being kinda disappointed at the results but it's still so far at least playable.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 24, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Section Z posted:

Even if I try setting everything to lowest with the recommended CPU, that just makes a proper fancy park Idle at 70-75%. So leaves me wondering what horror shows other people are having, compared to me just being kinda disappointed at the results but it's still so far at least playable.

As far as I understand, the game is designed to use as much CPU juice as you have for the simulation (People are posting i7 6900k running all 16 threads. Cobra is very scalable in parallelization). You are NEVER supposed to see low CPU utilization rates, the game simply scales the guest brain and other simulation tick rates according to the park and your hardware. When the threshold for your CPU that Frontier have baked into the game is reached (I think that during beta they were working on around 75%, the simulation fidelity scales down to match.

This has nothing to do with graphics btw. For graphics, the multisampling (AA) levels and global illumination is what takes the most GPU juice apparently.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 25, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Section Z posted:

But 80-80% idling around, and 90-95% ly making a proper park or downloading a park from the workshop will sit at 80-85%% and pop over 95% if I have the nerve to ride a coaster or pan the camera too fast over built up buildings in a theme park game.

High CPU use doesn't necessarily mean that a game is performing badly; it would be more helpful if you told us what frame rates you're seeing.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Rocks, I need mooore rocks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daztek posted:

Rocks, I need mooore rocks.

Holy cow can you post a video of you riding that, that looks rad

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dante80 posted:

As far as I understand, the game is designed to use as much CPU juice as you have for the simulation (People are posting i7 6900k running all 16 threads. Cobra is very scalable in parallelization). You are NEVER supposed to see low CPU utilization rates, the game simply scales the guest brain and other simulation tick rates according to the park and your hardware. When the threshold for your CPU that Frontier have baked into the game is reached (I think that during beta they were working on around 75%, the simulation fidelity scales down to match.

This has nothing to do with graphics btw. For graphics, the multisampling (AA) levels and global illumination is what takes the most GPU juice apparently.

NRVNQSR posted:

High CPU use doesn't necessarily mean that a game is performing badly; it would be more helpful if you told us what frame rates you're seeing.

Yeah that makes sense in hindsight for "High CPU alone isn't bad", I admit I'm not used to my CPU jumping that high in general while I'm stopping to watch it (Note to self, finally play through Witcher 3).

Turning on an FPS counter, The nice parks I'm using to stress test float around 24 FPS to 30 tops (With or without V Synch turned on), but things look like they are more choppy than that sounds in action. I'm using some workshop stuff for this because I know I'd take forever to even approach the IDEA of such a park, let alone make one myself yet.

But I do still get great FPS in early career mode maps and small "I'm an idiot throwing stuff around on a flat grassy field" ride experiments. My main concern would be how it would hold up if I tried my hand at making something not garbage.

Edit: :doh: So I'm examining the description closer of the park I grabbed because it LOOKED simpler than some of the others from the screenshots (Hey it's half trees and small ponds instead of elaborate building roller coasters into mountains shaped like yoda). And the description outright warns "I get 25-30 FPS on this park while I'm set to ultra with my GTX 1060". (I don't have a 1060 :v: )

So, hopefully I am seeing more a case of "You picked the most ball busting park of all time, you idiot. " Than "You'll see a performance drop if you try to sandbox fancier than career mode."

It looks very pretty though. "Disneyland Paris Inspired Park - Disney" http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=797161455

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 25, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I really wish that there was more variety in the terrain textures for each map, or that you could pick which ones you want to use. I really don't need four separate sand+rock textures.

Also, completely unrelated, but are any goons curating blueprint collections? I like building stuff, but I really don't need to put greebles on every building myself.

Also, also: I'm wondering at what point people are going to pull back on posting builds with 800 objects mushed into a 4m cube. I'm pretty sure keeping a rein on object limits is going to be important if you want a large park without a super computer, but I could be wrong.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 25, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My park so far:
Entrance idea stolen from Nerd^3

Attractive western setpieces from the Workshop:

That terrible starter coaster I made that everyone seems to love :kimchi:

My favorite self-made terrain features at the moment:

Of course, then I had to ruin a priceless archaeological site by putting in a flume ride. :haw:

The massive alien invasion--wait, what? Can't have a Cowboys & Aliens theme without Cowboys and Aliens :haw:

It's still very unfinished, but I like it. Had to remember to put an ATM in the alien invasion area because people were riding the coasters until they ran out of money and getting trapped, haha. This game is great. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the canyon.

Edit: I'm tempted to try to film some of the coasters.

Double Edit: Included two shots of the same ruin, rather than the other ruin.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 25, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Love those brick ruins!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Holy poo poo. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=805660955

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 25, 2016

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
goddamn

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I spent $80k making an underground cave area.

Good use of Thanksgiving time.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 25, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is it me, or are a few custom coasters from the Steam workshops not adding into the game? Specifically the ones that have been made to cheat the achievements?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just started the third Pirate level in Career and it's kicking my rear end :(
Building coasters always hosed me over in RCT and I don't know how to make my park profitable otherwise.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

None of the career parks have ticket prices set at the start, so get that going, but don't go overboard or peeps can't afford rides. $5 - $8 usually works.

Other things like toilets, ATMs and first aids are also free when built, so i throw on a 50 cents admission which works nicely with strategic placements, such as outside intense rides.

Popular rides can be gouged up a bit with help from priority queues as info booths sell tickets for them. Tweaking the load times helps push peeps though the rides faster.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news, just one week after release ATARI decided to do a 45% off sale for RCTW, thus loving over their existing customers...again (the game was also refactored at launch to have a much smaller price. That was AFTER 100k units were sold while in early access and at a price of 55-65 bucks).

The caveat? This sale is only happening through their own website, not Steam.

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/buy/

https://twitter.com/OfficialRCT/status/801486057523019776

If you go to Steam now...you pay 45% more.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282560

The reason ATARI decided to do this is two-fold..

1. So that many existing customers on Steam won't find out they have been shafted. Btw...if you buy right now from the Steam Store, you pay 45% more.

2. So that the Steam 2hr refund process does not apply to the guys that get it from there. Good luck getting a refund from ATARI themselves. Steam won't cover you.

Niiiiiiceee..

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Wow, that is insanely lovely.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Someone once described it as "the monster now wearing the skin of Atari" and I think that holds pretty true.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I'm half tempted to buy it just so I can refund it but sod's law the refund will fail and I'll be stuck with it.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Haha just pathetic. I feel sorry for any poor saps who have bought or ever will buy that game. gently caress ATARI.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
For you Planet Coaster folks that suck at coasters like I do, this Geekism guy seems to put out nice videos. This one helped me analyze and sort of fix my current problem coasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZcdt67VtmE

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
Yikes! According to this post there actually are fewer owners now that the game has gone live. I don't know if that is true or not, but I feel for the people who bought into Early Access thinking the game would turn out OK, then the launch price was reduced from the EA price, now there is already a sale.

On the Planet Coaster front, so many people are coming up with absolutely amazing creations. I saw this one today on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP-o0cOMh9U and would love to ride it for real. Meanwhile, I'm pleased when I can plop a few bushes around something so that it looks natural. :blush:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
oh man you can have coaster go through the middle of the hellion ring

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
In Planet Coaster is there any to give each worker territory to cover like there was in the good RCTs? There's Work Shifts or whatever but that's not what I want, I want the system where I go "okay Janitor 1, you cover this part of the park and don't leave, Janitor 2 you cover the next bit, Janitor 3 there's a bunch of roller coaster exits right here so you have a much smaller zone". I don't like how my options for keeping litter down seem to be basically spam-hiring Janitors and then hoping someone wanders over to where the mess is.

Also on a general note I really wish you could resize scenery and building elements, sometimes I just want a big statue or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, work shifts is how you handle that, though. You set them up with specific rides/shops/statues/landmarks in each zone then assign them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, work shifts is how you handle that, though. You set them up with specific rides/shops/statues/landmarks in each zone then assign them.
I guess, but it's not as intuitive to me as just painting on the ground where everyone goes.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

In my experience, this does not work for janitors. I'll set a shift, put them o it, and they'll still walk all over the park. I've just resigned to keeping an eye on them and manually moving them.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I made some duelling coasters:

And now to spend hours working on styling...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Priority Pass is for suckers!

*waits 45 minutes in line for a roller coaster*

:saddowns:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

i think I need an intervention

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Luigi Thirty posted:

"I would never buy a priority pass!"

"The queue for Rollercoaster 2 is too long!"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

How do you assign them to actual trash cans? I keep trying to click or band box ones that are on paths getting ignored between "hotspots" and I can't select them (But of course, I can select a BUSH no problem) which also often seems to mean they will just walk right on by them on their way between Burger shop A and Vomit central ride B. (That or they are following freeform logic despite orders but still ignoring buckets because ??? )

Also, trying to CRTL click or shift click so I can band box or click select multiple areas seems to hate working properly if I want to pan around area. But maybe that's just the game being slightly finicky. I really wish we could just paint a pathway like the old RTC games too.

Setting Mechanics seems easy because clicking rides is just clicking rides. But because there is way more variance with a Janitor's job, welp :v: I don't want to have to select some random tree or bench 50 feet away from a ride, just because the invisible radius of selecting said ride and a food court in the opposite direction apparently means it's not their problem.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

"I would never buy a priority pass!"

"The queue for Rollercoaster 2 is too long!"

I dropped the priority pass price from the default $10 to $9 and they started buying them. :shrug: They're good on all 4 of my thrill rides.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Make up your loving mind Marjorie!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That raft ride looks awesome there

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

TheDK posted:

In my experience, this does not work for janitors. I'll set a shift, put them o it, and they'll still walk all over the park. I've just resigned to keeping an eye on them and manually moving them.
Did you go into the Janitor's profile and pick the shift he has to walk? I kept on making shifts before realising that they didn't actually apply instantly to the guy i had selected.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCiRSDxL100&t=43s

O_o

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

WebDog posted:

Did you go into the Janitor's profile and pick the shift he has to walk? I kept on making shifts before realising that they didn't actually apply instantly to the guy i had selected.
Yup, made sure that both of my janitors were set to that shift. They would still wander all over the place, so I don't think there is a way to restrict them to a certain area of the park.

drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Looks like that is from the Mars Biodome park someone made.