Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

JustJeff88 posted:

I was not involved with this personally, but an old friend of mine from uni was involved in possibly a LARP, possibly just P&P Masquerade where they had a Malkavian who was perfectly normal, balanced and personable apart from the fact that he firmly, unequivocally did not think that he was actually a vampire. Everything about him that was supernatural, from his sensitivity to sunlight and nocturnal habits as well as his disciplines, were handwaved with some glib explanation.

It's been some years and my memory of the conversation isn't as keen as it was, but it was a hell of a discussion. Apparently he was somehow able to process food and drink apart from alcohol, it just provided him no sustenance. So, he would eat and drink fairly normally and would have literally no memory of consuming blood from humans. If he was given blood, he would insist that it was red wine and that anyone insisting otherwise was just having him on.

There was a merit in old Vamre that let one or more of your bodily systems, like your digestive system, still work. You could also spend blood to make one work for a scene, so that's pretty easy. I loe this idea for the goofy situations it can generate. There must be supernatural plot poo poo happening all around the character, and their mind just keeps layering rationalizations to keep up the delusion.

:derp: "Holy poo poo! Werewolves just started pouring through the windows!"

:what: "Nah. They're just dogs."

:derp: "No, man, they're coming through the loving skylights like Navy SEALs!"

:what: "Just really acrobatic dogs, like those ones that can catch frizbees real good."

:derp: "JESUS CHRIST Bobby's head just got torn off! Did you see that?!"

:what: "No, he just got a really short haircut. He had it yesterday, I think."

:derp: "HIS BLOOD IS ALL OVER YOU OH GOD OH GOD OH--"

:what: "This is ketchup. My, um, burger got away from me, ok? Geez."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've always liked those kinds of characters, to the point where I've made plans in multiple games to continue holding to the masquerade/censor long past the point where the rest of the PCs have gone "Okay, monsters. Right."

:hist101: "Okay, so we know these goblins are lairing in-"
:colbert: "Wow, racist much? They're an underprivileged ethnic street gang, so you think it's okay to call them goblins?"
:hist101: "They're literally three feet tall with green skin, Dave. I just hope they don't have more bugbears with them."
:colbert: "I know the big black guy we met last night hit you pretty hard, but there's no call to be insulting."
:hist101: "They're mythological creatures, Dave! Little! Green! Big! Hairy! Their blood is black! One bit you!"
:colbert: "Riiiight... (Psst, Nicole, you're a doctor, right? Is Frank getting all the meds he needs?)"
:catholic: "...I don't even know how to begin answering that."

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Dareon posted:

I've always liked those kinds of characters, to the point where I've made plans in multiple games to continue holding to the masquerade/censor long past the point where the rest of the PCs have gone "Okay, monsters. Right."

:hist101: "Okay, so we know these goblins are lairing in-"
:colbert: "Wow, racist much? They're an underprivileged ethnic street gang, so you think it's okay to call them goblins?"
:hist101: "They're literally three feet tall with green skin, Dave. I just hope they don't have more bugbears with them."
:colbert: "I know the big black guy we met last night hit you pretty hard, but there's no call to be insulting."
:hist101: "They're mythological creatures, Dave! Little! Green! Big! Hairy! Their blood is black! One bit you!"
:colbert: "Riiiight... (Psst, Nicole, you're a doctor, right? Is Frank getting all the meds he needs?)"
:catholic: "...I don't even know how to begin answering that."

This reminds me of an unrelated story.

The old 3.5 D&D group I've mentioned a long time ago in the thread had a bard played by a super awkward guy who I am pretty sure is on the Autism Spectrum. He was playing a social character as his way to stretch his socializing muscles, with... limited success. He was mostly just really painfully awkward IC and OOC, but occasionally he had moments of comic brilliance.

In this case, the bard and the paladin were talking about the plot IC:

:hist101: We cannot allow the Blackguard to live.
:banjo: *Leaning in to the paladin's player, whispering* Racist.

The comic timing of it was perfect. He also said it with just enough sincerity that, to this day eight years later, that joke still carries water in our game group.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I see your point, but I think that I wrongly sold the "Seriously, not a vampire" Malkavian. From what I remember, he did know enough to be afraid of werewolves, but he just didn't think that he was a vampire personally. If another vampire revealed himself to him, he would panic and Obfuscate without realising it, then flee and justify it somehow later.

It was a bit like that episode of Forever Knight where Nick takes a bad head wound. He heals, because he's a vampire, but he has amnesia and literally forgets that he is a vampire for some days and goes about eating & drinking, which he normally never does. Natalie doesn't want to disabuse him of this, but of course LaCroix does.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God drat the ending of Forever Knight was a kick in the balls.

So how does the malk handle the clan's oracle quirks?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Robindaybird posted:

God drat the ending of Forever Knight was a kick in the balls.

So how does the malk handle the clan's oracle quirks?

The last time I watched through the series, I watched every episode in order apart from the last one. For obvious reasons.

As for the second matter, I'm afraid that I don't recall. It's been 8 years or so.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Ran a session of WWWRPG where the Ivan the Soviet Communist, hoping to pass along his gimmick, gave it to a teen luchador. This so incensed her dad that he came to the ring and beat down/ ran off all the other PCs.

Another player got an amazing roll and revitalized his career as Guy who Hides in Boxes. Yup.

We played for 4 hours and only had two matches, because the rest of the time was trying to figure out who is going to win, whose merchandise could be sold, and how many plates is too many at catering.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I see your point, but I think that I wrongly sold the "Seriously, not a vampire" Malkavian. From what I remember, he did know enough to be afraid of werewolves, but he just didn't think that he was a vampire personally. If another vampire revealed himself to him, he would panic and Obfuscate without realising it, then flee and justify it somehow later.

It was a bit like that episode of Forever Knight where Nick takes a bad head wound. He heals, because he's a vampire, but he has amnesia and literally forgets that he is a vampire for some days and goes about eating & drinking, which he normally never does. Natalie doesn't want to disabuse him of this, but of course LaCroix does.

I remember reading a VtM table story kinda similar. GM was having a couple of players introduced to the game blind, so they didn't know it was a Vampire game.

One guy was a member of a biker gang turned by a Malk, and once he found out about his supernatural strength immediately thought he was some kind of cyborg.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Tunicate posted:

I remember reading a VtM table story kinda similar. GM was having a couple of players introduced to the game blind, so they didn't know it was a Vampire game.

One guy was a member of a biker gang turned by a Malk, and once he found out about his supernatural strength immediately thought he was some kind of cyborg.

I remember that story, too. If I recall correctly he insisted on going out in the sun and had to be rescued by his sire, who left him some blood to drink in wine bottles in his fridge. He still didn't realise, though, and ended up taking the bottles of "really cool tasting wine" to share with his gang.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
An NPC Malk in a game I was in really played up the whole 'blind seer' thing, with vague and oracular pronouncements, randomly prophesying to people, and so on.

...We worked out later that almost all his prophecies were 100 percent accurate and that his actual derangement was hysterical blindness.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm having a blast playing an Elf who was raised in a village of human hating Elves. They eventually kicked her out because of her genetically defective ears. Screw you, she's not an Elf, doesn't even speak Elvish.

It's fun, because the other PCs only rile her up on occasion and it's fun to compound Elvish NPCs when I bust out with "Sorry, I don't talk Elf."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Writer Cath posted:

I'm having a blast playing an Elf who was raised in a village of human hating Elves. They eventually kicked her out because of her genetically defective ears. Screw you, she's not an Elf, doesn't even speak Elvish.

It's fun, because the other PCs only rile her up on occasion and it's fun to compound Elvish NPCs when I bust out with "Sorry, I don't talk Elf."

My friend plays a Half Elf Ranger named Millicent Bogtrodder. She gets super pissed if you ask why she doesn't have a Foresty name.

7/10 of her character moments come from people assuming that she takes after her Elf Parent. She learned Rangering from her hillbilly Human dad.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JustJeff88 posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of "that vampire show my mom really liked when I was five" for ages.

This is a "two doves crying" moment for me right now.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The Crotch posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of "that vampire show my mom really liked when I was five" for ages.

As a kid, I used to watch the hell out of Forever Knight, Quantum Leap, and the Highlander TV show with my mom. Having seen some episodes of all of them recently, I can say that one of them holds up. I won't ruin the surprise about which one does.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hint: It's MacGyver.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, boy.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
90s Canadian television can do no wrong.

Gonna start making up some Due South-based NPCs for my 4e game now.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Railing Kill posted:

As a kid, I used to watch the hell out of Forever Knight, Quantum Leap, and the Highlander TV show with my mom. Having seen some episodes of all of them recently, I can say that one of them holds up. I won't ruin the surprise about which one does.
Spoilers: it's certainly not Highlander. Holy poo poo, I watched a few episodes of that recently and it's... well let's just say that some things are better left in the past.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Crotch posted:

90s Canadian television can do no wrong.

Gonna start making up some Due South-based NPCs for my 4e game now.

Does that include "supposedly deaf wolf that continuously responds to vocal commands and reacts to conversations"?

My wife is making me re-watch them. we're at the end of series 2, and the writers seem to have completely forgotten that the dog is supposed to be deaf.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Spoilers: it's certainly not Highlander. Holy poo poo, I watched a few episodes of that recently and it's... well let's just say that some things are better left in the past.

I could not agree more.

This is a goon that knows what's up.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

I really didn't make it past 2 episodes pretty much, so I most certainly concur. Frankly, I would have been happy had they left off after the first movie altogether.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Samizdata posted:

I really didn't make it past 2 episodes pretty much, so I most certainly concur. Frankly, I would have been happy had they left off after the first movie altogether.

There's a reason the series tagline is 'There should have been only one.'

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I have a cat piss story about Highlander!

I played in a game of Hunter: the Reckoning in my freshmen year of College. Well, it was technically a Hunter game, but two of the five players were playing other supernaturals. I was playing a (Verbena) Mage, and a friend of mine was playing a (Glasswalker) Werewolf. Both of the characters were written to fit in well with a hunter group, and the hunter PCs dealt with them well. The mixing of old WoD games was, surprisingly, not the problem.

The GM had a home-brewed template for introducing Highlander-style Immortals into the mix. For some reason though, he didn't let the players use the template. He introduced a pusher character that was an Immortal, and every combat turned into a showcase for the template. It wasn't subtle, either. The players increasingly tried to up-stage the Immortal, partly out of spite and party because PCs should be the center of the plot, goddamn it. Nothing really worked, though. The template was like an unstoppable freight train to carry the GM's stupid ideas. As I said, I was playing a Mage, and for the folks ITT who aren't familiar with old White Wolf, oWoD Mages are broken as gently caress if you know what you're doing (and I did). I usually restrain the impulse to break the game with Mage powers, but I let it fly in this game when the Immortal started throwing die pools that looked more like Exalted than World of Darkness. But even trying to break the game n purpose, I couldn't keep up with the Immortal.

When the plot's major villain (an Immortal, not surprisingly) showed up at the end of the second session and that session ended with the GM basically rolling huge piles of dice against himself for twenty minutes, the game folded. The GM had done so much damage to the mechanics and setting of his game that it was borderline unplayable at that point, even if we had the will to go on. It was extra weird because he gave the Immortals powers from way outside the Highlander lore. They were like Jedi/Sith, Immortals, and Mages kind of mixed into one broken template. I was frustrated as someone who just wanted to, you know, participate in a game. But another PC, a Highlander fan, was pissed off because it was so disappointing. The GM thought he would be excited by the Immortals throwing energy beams (?!) at each other, but the Highlander fan was not impressed.

"Highlander is about weird guys swinging swords at each other in dark alleyways while Freddy Mercury wails in the background," he said. "Not this gay laser poo poo."

Edit: I give my friend a pass for the homophobic term, because I'm pretty sure he was totally aware of the irony of the statement.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

What is it with people who liked adding Highlander Immortals to WoD games?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Coward posted:

What is it with people who liked adding Highlander Immortals to WoD games?

I mean, thematically, it's not TOO far off from the WoD brand of Grimdarkness.
Cursed to never die, unless someone cuts off your head, forced to participate in a "game" which involves hunting each other down and killing each other to gain the loser's skill and knowledge until you're the last one standing, forced to watch friends and loved ones grow old and die repeatedly over the centuries and therefore forced to either forgo human attachment, or continue to suffer through the pain of losing even more people.

It CAN work, you just need to have the right group/ST.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

^^^ Yeah, they could totally work. But like Coward said... Highlander superfans are, in my experience, usually the type of people that make the absolute worst, heavy handed gms.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Highlander was the first fan-splat I ever saw, back in the late 90s. The rules weren't terrible (for oWoD), most of the powers were basically just fighting style merits from nWoD 1e with a totally-not-koldunic-sorcery magic system bolted on.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

VanSandman posted:

There's a reason the series tagline is 'There should have been only one.'

Seconded. Also, the Highlander D&D campaign I played in (right after the first movie came out) prolly should not have existed either.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think Highlander could work as a sort of watered-down VtM knockoff.
You have overlap, I mean, VtM has the Masquerade and the Traditions, Immortals aren't supposed to reveal themselves to mortals and they have the rules for the Game.

As for setting, just decide that the time of the Gathering has come, and you felt the pull to whatever city you're playing in.

Maybe let PCs buy up to 1 or 2 dots of certain Disciplines since there was some references to magic or superhuman ability. Nothing crazy, just like, Potence/Fortitude/Auspex/Celerity

A lot could come from it. You've got the Immortals who want to win the game and are active headhunters, you've got the pacifists who might be hiding on Holy Ground and trying to broker a truce, maybe "Good" immortals teaming up to defend each other against the "evil" ones, and all the RP backstabbery that could come from that.

The biggest downside I can think of is that, ultimately, it's supposed to be PvP/last immortal standing.
On the other hand, if it's a small group, you could say it isn't the Gathering, and you're just a group of immortals who work together for whatever cause or goal. Still tons of potential there.

I dunno, I get excited about theorycrafting.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Yawgmoth posted:

So now the PCs have a staggering amount of drugs to sell and a Kraken From Beyond Time and Space wandering around the tunnels beneath the city that will likely start making new ones and/or make its way to the surface soon. All this on top of trying to stop an all-out crime war and the end of the world.
An update on this courtesy of last night's session: After spending a good chunk of magic and action points on alchemically processing their huge pile of luhix, the PCs brought the two halfling mafia thugs back to their boss, along with that bucket of drugs. Through a bit of negotiating they sold the luhix to the boss for a huge pile of money, as well as some of the seeds with an agreement of getting a cut of the profits when they start selling this poo poo (and are the only game in town w/r/t this particular drug). Then they went back down to the slums to investigate what the cult might be doing in the festivities surrounding the Race of Eight Winds and find that the cult has been busy spreading a symbol among the populace, saying it's a sign of good fortune, luck, protection, etc. Asking where one such person got their symbol-necklace leads them to a magic item shop run by a man that claims he can make magic items in a couple of hours and is selling them for way cheaper than he should be; cheaper than the base materials cost in fact!

And now I have 3 weeks to prepare because someone decided he needs to go get married. :argh: congrats, gradenko!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
You know, after literally years of you posting your bad gaming experiences in here I'm genuinely glad that you've finally found a D&D game you're enjoying, Yawgmoth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

the cult has been busy spreading a symbol among the populace, saying it's a sign of good fortune, luck, protection, etc. Asking where one such person got their symbol-necklace leads them to a magic item shop run by a man that claims he can make magic items in a couple of hours and is selling them for way cheaper than he should be; cheaper than the base materials cost in fact!

Lemme guess - this ancient symbol of good fortune looks like a crooked or spiraling cross, and the cult is run by occult-practicing, literal, Nazis

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doodmons posted:

You know, after literally years of you posting your bad gaming experiences in here I'm genuinely glad that you've finally found a D&D game you're enjoying, Yawgmoth.
I am too! :glomp: I'm also glad that my players are enjoying it as much as I am.

Tunicate posted:

Lemme guess - this ancient symbol of good fortune looks like a crooked or spiraling cross, and the cult is run by occult-practicing, literal, Nazis
It's actually a definitely-not-the-Yellow-Sign and the cult is pretty much what you'd expect from that, at least in the broad strokes.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Ran a one-shot of Monsterhearts at a meetup. I only had 2 people join up, and none of us had played Monsterhearts before, but it went really well.

We came up with a school called Rivers End High in Wisconsin. We had an aloof and contemptuous Vampire, Lucia, and a thick-headed Jock Chosen called Caleb. He had a relationship with a Cheerleader, Bianca, and was being targeted by a powerful Vampire named Estragon, who was also keeping tabs on Lucia for failing to provide tribute to him. The summer vacation ended, and they came back to school. Bianca was throwing a party at her place, and invited everyone, including Lucia despite her obvious contempt for her. A preppy student named Vanessa also tried to sit next to Lucia, but was shut down with a stare and had her chair pulled out from under her, so everyone laughed at her. Caleb's friend Jared got mildly outraged and went to sit next to her. Then the new teacher came in. His name was Vladmir and he was wearing sunglasses.

After school, Caleb went to Football training for the big game against the Brookdale Bears, and Bianca revealed she wanted to dump a bucket of blood on Lucia's head, like in Carrie. Caleb had no problem with this, and seemed to have no idea Lucia was a vampire despite pulling a stake out of her heart. Lucia went to Pianoforte recital, and Vladmir appeared afterwards, and revealed that Estragon would forgive her if she killed Caleb and Bianca, and accidentally revealing he had ideas of his own.

On Wednesday, Caleb tried to warn Lucia about Bianca's plan by putting a note in her locker, telling her to "Come through the Back Door". He accidentally put it in Vanessa's locker. Then, Lucia checked her locker and found a provocative image of Vanessa in lingere, asking for them to meet at Willow's Peak on Thursday night. Afterwards, Lucia followed Caleb home, and charmed her way past his sister and mother to enter his room. Caleb was slow because he had to drop Bianca off, so he arrived to find Lucia in his room. She threw some cookies at him.

At this point I expected things to get weird, but they had a fairly sensible conversation about Estragon and the dangers they were getting involved in. This was complicated by Julie, Caleb's sister, eavesdropping. Caleb was unable to stop her from talking, but Lucia convinced her they were going to gently caress. Julie was a fun character to run, if the sesh was going longer I'd make her a witch or something.

On Thursday, Lucia went to Willow's Peak to find Vanessa waiting under a large, dead tree in a short white dress, watching the sunset. She'd clearly been having some unusual feelings about Lucia, but when she went to kiss her, Lucia put a finger to her lips, then bit her neck and drank her blood. We discussed how it felt, and decided it was a euphoric experience that left Vanessa lying on the ground, quivering in pleasure with blood dripping down her dress.

Meanwhile, Caleb was at the football game, where he discovered the other team's Quarterback was out after a vampire attack. Some of the other players tried some underhanded stuff, and Caleb lead them to get revenge, but stopped it when it was about to break into a full-on fight.

On Friday, Caleb went to Bianca's early to help set up the prank, but Bianca already had it sorted, thanks to the help of her dad's boyfriend, Estragon. This left plenty of time for them to hook up before the party. The first guest to arrive was Vanessa, still wearing the bloodstained dress from Friday and looking a little pale. She wanted to see Lucia again, and went to fix her make-up in the upstairs bathroom. Lucia arrived soon, but she'd realised that there'd be a trap from Vanessa mentioning the note she got, so she entered through an upstairs window and got a metalhead acquaintance to dress in her style. Bianca pulled the trigger before realising it wasn't her, and Caleb dived to save him in an attempt to look like a hero. Lucia watched from the top of the stairs and laughed, which attracted Vanessa. She was panicking, because she'd been feeling cold after Lucia bit her and her reflection wasn't in the mirror, but Lucia told her to sit, and she was too enthralled to resist, leaving her upstairs kneeling down and smiling. Lucia then had a chat with guests at the party about how much of a bitch Bianca was, and she ran crying upstairs to talk to her dad, but met with Estragon instead, who had nearly killed her father. He convinced her to try to kill Lucia in her despair, but Caleb intervened, dragging her into her room. He managed to take a stake from her, but she convinced him to let her go.

Bianca confronted Lucia, but was unable to harm her and had a serious breakdown. Caleb and Lucia went to confront Estragon, but first Lucia ordered Vanessa to leave with Caleb's more chivalrous friend Jared, who could be relied upon to not do anything rash. The pair went to confront Estragon, who complimented Lucia on her behavior towards Bianca and Vanessa. Caleb tried to stake him, but Estragon crushed it in his hand and dislocated his arm with ease. He went to bite Caleb, but Lucia went to feed first, but then suddenly attacked the Vampire instead, staking him in the heart. Estragon tried to turn into a Bat and fly away, but Lucia attacked with some shards of glass from the window. She failed and was nearly dragged out the window, but Caleb managed to take her place and fell 2 stories. He'd taken enough damage to die, but he elected to become his darkest self: A self-obsessed hunter who had to hunt the biggest thing he could on his own. He picked up some shards of glass and slashed up Estragon, who managed to flee, mangled and ashamed. As Caleb stood alone in victory, the partygoers came outside to watch the scene, and see him collapse from his wounds. Lucia was dangerously wounded and alone with Bianca's Dad, near-dead from blood loss after Estragon's feeding. I encouraged her to drink his blood and finish him off, even saying she'd get away with it, but she refused.

As a conclusion to the story, I had a short scene with Caleb in the hospital meeting with Jared, who was suffering from some deep wounds to his neck.

Overall the game was a blast to run. I was pretty worried it wouldn't work with only 2 players, and neither of them went into angsty territory, but it went really well overall, considering it was my first time running it. I had to push the relationship stuff more than I expected to, but they went for it with glee. I'm just annoyed the guy planning to bring a transgender werewolf couldn't make it.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 5, 2016

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The Crotch posted:

...??????

Please, blow my mind.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

John Lee posted:

...??????

Please, blow my mind.

Dig, if you will, the picture:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Weird game of Fiasco today.

We had twin brothers Chester and Emmett Sands, trying to steal a trunk of bullion from the Gold Creek Mining Company.

Along the way, Chester found out his wife Sadie was running around with a Pinkerton (who had married her for her non-existent money). Meanwhile, the mine operator Gillian was trying to keep everything on track (not knowing she was doing business with two tricky twins.)

That was the basic plotline all the way through. What was really interesting were the complications.

*Emmett was in love with Ellie, a Bar Girl whose room was also a gambling den used by Gillian and the Pinkerton.
*The miners got drunk because it was the 4th of July.
*A miner died in the mine collapse and Emmett euthanized him, which incriminated Gilly.
*Sadie went to Indian Country to smoke Mexican Plants.
*The Pinkerton got nabbed for streetfighting by a racist chef whose brother was the Judge. When faced with a mob (and while maintaining OOC control of the scene), he declared the mob killed him.
*There were fewer train tickets out of town than players, so a stoned out Sadie was brought on as cargo.

In the aftermath, one brother came out miles ahead of another, Gillian had her reputation destroyed, and the Pinkerton ended up faking his death. (He got a 16+ where 11+ is best you can do).

The best part was we had a first time roleplayer who we forced to do a scene as both Ellie and Chester talking to each other with Emmett goading them on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Golden Bee posted:

*A miner died in the mine collapse and Emmett euthanized him,
I hope you meant this exactly as written.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Edit: Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I need to vent a little about this guy in my group. Maybe I need advice, maybe I'll come to an appropriate conclusion on my own, but here goes anyway.

He's a decent guy, he's just a huge spotlight hog, and our DMs seem to encourage that. In a previous campaign, he didn't need to worry about death like the entire rest of the campaign world did because when his character died the first time, it was revealed she was actually a member of an ancient race that automatically reincarnated every time they died. Cue her dying in every single fight after that. Probably not by choice, but still. And she was the daughter of one of the BBEGs.

In another campaign, his character was in a lesbian relationship with at least one other PC, which bore mentioning at least twice a session. It was never explicit, no on-screen scissoring. Just the occasional grope or passionate kiss, but it still slightly creeped me out. I'm not a prude by any sense of the word, I just don't feel like the gaming table is a place to bring your fetishes. I have some bizarre ones, and my entire gaming group knows them because we've been together since we were teenagers and I had a penchant for trying to shock/gross out my friends as a teen, but when we're playing, they're not even thought about. Even if the situation is directly relevant to them, which has come up a few times.

In yet another campaign, in fact the very one we are playing in TYOOL 2016, if the scene isn't about his character, he'll make it about her by either being unnecessarily hostile (Doesn't matter what's happening, she got in a shouting match with an old scholar and nearly drew down on a police officer) or hitting on a nearby woman. Which includes the entirety of the party because by a stroke of luck we're all crossplaying. I'm concerned that the DM is encouraging this behavior because she strongly resembles a woman the aforementioned old scholar knew, has mysterious backstory bullshit woooh going on between her and the location we currently find ourselves at, and a mysterious cloaked figure woooh is following the party to keep an eye on someone, I don't know quite who, I can only be 80% sure it's not my character. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when her mysterious backstory bullshit woooh caused her to bow out of an upcoming scene because thank god, we might actually manage to progress the plot significantly this session.

A previous problem I've had with him, which has fortunately not surfaced yet, is a penchant for just blowing off a session to hang out with friends. Which, fair enough, I'd pick real-life fun over hanging out in front of a computer screen most of the time, but loving tell someone, right? This culminated in five of us sitting around getting angrier and angrier for three hours waiting on him, then him actively avoiding me when I tried to call him out on his bullshit. He's been a little late for sessions occasionally these days, but always told us beforehand, I think that problem's sorted itself out.

Also he's a boring DM and I've pledged to not play in any game he runs, but that's not relevant at the moment.

I fully intend to talk to him about it, but I don't want to come off as petty or trying to hog the spotlight myself. I've offered multiple times to let my sideplot bullshit happen off-screen, but the DM insists on playing it out fully. And working main plot into it, so it's not just me on open mic night. The DM is actually really good, and good about who initially gets the spotlight before Fuckstick McGee steals it, and perhaps once we're past this location the bullshit will ease, but Schrodinger's Stalker has me uneasy.

I don't know. I might actually be petty or wanting more spotlight time myself. I'm certainly exaggerating the issues I'm having at least a little. I just have a feeling that the way he's acting and being treated is unfair to the rest of the party, but I don't know what would be fair.