Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, Kaby Lake is due very soon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Summer next year.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
And is unlikely to make much of a difference for gaming. Certainly not worth a 6ish month wait.

Inazuma
Jun 20, 2005
How long after launch does it usually take for CPU's to hit the market? I read that Kaby Lake is likely to be released at CES in January, would that mean the chips will be available to consumers shortly after, or is it likely to be a lot later?

I'm in the market for a new machine just now, and was going to wait until Kaby Lake and Zen are released before pulling the trigger, but if it's going to be next summer I may just go for it now.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There are always new things on the horizon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wait at least the months for early adopters to run into bugs and issues you don't want to deal with.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Kaby is also looking like it's no faster on a clock-to-clock basis than Skylake--they're basically just higher clocked Skylakes with some added video decoding hardware thrown in. So for most of the chips you're looking at a 10% at best speed bump, and it's an open question as to how far they'll be able to overclock.

Waiting for Zen is an interesting choice just to see how that shakes things out and if it does much to Intel's pricing scheme. But you're not really gonna get much extra performance from Kaby vs Skylake.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Kaby is also looking like it's no faster on a clock-to-clock basis than Skylake--they're basically just higher clocked Skylakes with some added video decoding hardware thrown in. So for most of the chips you're looking at a 10% at best speed bump, and it's an open question as to how far they'll be able to overclock.

Waiting for Zen is an interesting choice just to see how that shakes things out and if it does much to Intel's pricing scheme. But you're not really gonna get much extra performance from Kaby vs Skylake.

While not a huge upgrade or strictly necessary, the extra video decoding capabilities seem marginally useful (Netflix 4k, YouTube). Kaby Lake is likely out very soon. At the same time, Skylakes are probably going to drop in price. Seems like a good idea to just wait for a bit. If you can hold out for a few months you should probably do it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The decoding hardware is really only useful if you've got a laptop, though--massively decreasing the power-use needed to run a 4k video is really great when you're working within a limited power profile, but frankly doesn't matter in a desktop unless you're trying to do something really unusual, like play half a dozen 4k videos at once.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

The decoding hardware is really only useful if you've got a laptop, though--massively decreasing the power-use needed to run a 4k video is really great when you're working within a limited power profile, but frankly doesn't matter in a desktop unless you're trying to do something really unusual, like play half a dozen 4k videos at once.

While this is true, Netflix specifically will only support 4k playback on Kaby Lake machines. Some dumb DRM thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What does that mean? I read it before, but details were kinda wishy-washy. I'd need that CPU to play back 4K content on AIB graphics cards, too? Can I just play back 4K stuff on the IGP? I've heard stuff about HDCP 2.2, which newer cards already support. Is this some memory protection bullshit to prevent rips?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

While this is true, Netflix specifically will only support 4k playback on Kaby Lake machines. Some dumb DRM thing.

I hadn't seen that. Good job, fucknuts. Though if you have a 10-series NVidia card you should still be ok, since they also support the 10-b HEVC decoding/DRM requirements.

Also being forced to use Edge. Ugh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DrDork posted:

I hadn't seen that. Good job, fucknuts. Though if you have a 10-series NVidia card you should still be ok, since they also support the 10-b HEVC decoding/DRM requirements.

Also being forced to use Edge. Ugh.

They actually explicitly mentioned the 10-series nVidia cards being able to perform the decoding, but also mentioned that Netflix specifically mentioned the Kaby Lake CPU being a *requirement*. My guess is they're ~askeerd~ that if they open things up, they'll make it easier for pirates to find an exploit (which they're going to find anyway).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They actually explicitly mentioned the 10-series nVidia cards being able to perform the decoding, but also mentioned that Netflix specifically mentioned the Kaby Lake CPU being a *requirement*. My guess is they're ~askeerd~ that if they open things up, they'll make it easier for pirates to find an exploit (which they're going to find anyway).

The nutty thing is that if they make Kaby a hard requirement, they'd also basically have to require you to use the IGP for video output, which is pants-on-head retarded. Otherwise you have to pipe the decrypted stream out through the dGPU anyhow, and if you're ok with doing that, there's no reason not to also be ok with on-dGPU decoding on the GF 10-series.

And you're right, they'll figure out how to break it or bypass it anyhow. I mean, hell, it's not like you can't already download more pirated 4k media than you can stream.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Any recommendations on an X99 motherboard?

I have an MSI that's been a nightmare from day 1 and I'm ready to move on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Asus x99aii

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Fame Douglas posted:

This is more of a reason to not use Netflix for 4K content than to buy Kabylake though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If I dont plan on overclocking is a regular i5 6600 fine? Id be upgrading from an i5 2500.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Walked posted:

Any recommendations on an X99 motherboard?

I have an MSI that's been a nightmare from day 1 and I'm ready to move on.

I just recommended someone this one in the PC Building thread...I could care less about the fancy graphics, but it has twin M.2 slots and the presence of a Type-C USB 3.1 port means it's a recent-revision X99 (and thus Broadwell-E ready) and that you aren't getting a board that's been sitting on Newegg's shelf since 2014: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157719

Furnaceface posted:

If I dont plan on overclocking is a regular i5 6600 fine? Id be upgrading from an i5 2500.

Yes, but get a Z170 motherboard anyway, as they're compatible with the new Kaby Lake chips, and it gives you the chance to change your mind on overclocking in the next 12-24 months. Z170 boards also come with more 'quality of life' upgrades than H110s or H170s. The price difference is nonexistent or negligible, and having options is never a bad thing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 25, 2016

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, but get a Z170 motherboard anyway, as they're compatible with the new Kaby Lake chips, and it gives you the chance to change your mind on overclocking in the next 12-24 months. Z170 boards also come with more 'quality of life' upgrades than H110s or H170s. The price difference is nonexistent or negligible, and having options is never a bad thing.

Awesome thank you. I was actually looking at the Z170 boards earlier but the price was out of my budget. Now that there are some good deals Im trying to decide between these two

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-z170a-sli-plus-atx-66-126208.htm?promoid=1243
http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-z170a-gaming-m7-atx-b0-111247.htm?promoid=1243

I guess I should price out the rest of the parts Im going to need and decide from there, unless there are better options you could suggest.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just recommended someone this one in the PC Building thread...I could care less about the fancy graphics, but it has twin M.2 slots and the presence of a Type-C USB 3.1 port means it's a recent-revision X99 (and thus Broadwell-E ready) and that you aren't getting a board that's been sitting on Newegg's shelf since 2014: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157719

Yeah; thats one of two I'm eyeballing.

Versus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157536&cm_re=x99_ws_asrock-_-13-157-536-_-Product

I'm using this almost exclusively as a workstation these days (coding/vmware). Stability is my #1 priority these days really. Kinda staring at my cart and unable to decide between the two.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

sincx posted:

Sigh. It's a bit sad that we are at a point when money can no longer buy significant CPU performance improvements even after waiting years and years for an upgrade.

Well, you kinda -can-, by switching to the HEDT platform, but you still won't get any better single-threaded performance.

It's a double-edged sword, your existing hardware holds its value much better and there's no pressing need to upgrade, but sucks if you like buying and playing with shiny new toys.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Walked posted:

Yeah; thats one of two I'm eyeballing.

Versus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157536&cm_re=x99_ws_asrock-_-13-157-536-_-Product

I'm using this almost exclusively as a workstation these days (coding/vmware). Stability is my #1 priority these days really. Kinda staring at my cart and unable to decide between the two.

Well, the "WS" in the latter board's name stands for "Workstation." It's a board that's specifically made with ~sturdier~ components to hopefully guarantee more stability and uptime, but the lack of USB 3.1 means it's an earlier revision.

You lose an extra M.2 slot on the WS board, too - and the price delta is significant, which would allow you to put the saved money into something else. It seems the WS board is also specifically designed to be usable in a rackmount enclosure or as a server, hence the dual NICs. I'd still suggest going with the ~Taichi~ version due to the second M.2 slot and USB 3.1, as well as it very likely being a newer-revision board.

The M.2 slots on the Taichi are also more smartly-located for airflow purposes. I never understood why they put them in a spot where they'll be underneath the hottest component in your system, by far.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The M.2 slots on the Taichi are also more smartly-located for airflow purposes. I never understood why they put them in a spot where they'll be underneath the hottest component in your system, by far.

Because when you're trying to smash 6x PCI-e 16x slots onto a board it doesn't leave you with a whole lot of layout options. Plus I guess they figure if you're using it as an actual workstation you probably aren't shoving an open-cooler 7990 or other similar super-hot-potato in there to begin with.

For more pedestrian or gamer-centric motherboards, though, you're right that putting the M.2 slot above the top PCIe instead of below it makes more sense.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Netflix 4K streaming comes to the PC—but it needs Kaby Lake CPU
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/11/netflix-4k-streaming-pc-kaby-lake-cpu-windows-10-edge-browser/
(also Edge browser only)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

And presumably all the bandwidth in the world.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

Netflix require a minimum of 25 Mb/s, which doesn't seem like all that much these days. Guess this could be a problem for people living in rural areas?

Being required to use Edge seems more heinous to me.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 25, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fame Douglas posted:

Netflix require a minimum of 25 Mb/s, which doesn't seem like all that much these days. Guess this could be a problem for people living in rural areas?

Being required to use Edge seems more heinous to me.

You already need to use Edge (or the Windows Store app, which runs embedded Edge) to get 1080p. Chrome and FireFox are 720p max

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Paul MaudDib posted:

You already need to use Edge (or the Windows Store app, which runs embedded Edge) to get 1080p. Chrome and FireFox are 720p max

You can also use IE11 to stream at 1920x1080.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boiled Water posted:

It's only going to be like 45 megabits for second for a really high quality stream at 3840x2160 at most, probably a lot lower most of the time. Current Netflix 4k streaming uses 16 megabits at the minimum before it boots you down to 1080p streaming.

In case you're wondering, the new Ultra HD Blu-Ray standard for 4k movies and fancy soundtracks must support at least 108 megabit per second to handle the highest quality content.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Paul MaudDib posted:

what the gently caress. Why on earth am I not just downloading things seperately

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

You already need to use Edge (or the Windows Store app, which runs embedded Edge) to get 1080p.
Doesn't seem entirely right. Some content only plays in 720p in Edge, some even just in standard definition, but 1080p in the WinStore app. Which suggests something else is going on.

--edit: Weird, I just looked at it closer, it's a HTML+JS WinStore app. So why the gently caress doesn't Edge in itself play everything at maximum, if it's the same runtime? The web interface is more pleasing than what the WinStore one displays.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 25, 2016

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Combat Pretzel posted:

Doesn't seem entirely right. Some content only plays in 720p in Edge, some even just in standard definition, but 1080p in the WinStore app. Which suggests something else is going on.

--edit: Weird, I just looked at it closer, it's a HTML+JS WinStore app. So why the gently caress doesn't Edge in itself play everything at maximum, if it's the same runtime? The web interface is more pleasing than what the WinStore one displays.

Well, he's correct. Edge and IE11 are the only supported (Windows) browsers for 1920x1080 and Edge is the only supported browser for 4K.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

Netflix posted:

Resolution:

Google Chrome up to 720p
Internet Explorer up to 1080p
Microsoft Edge up to 4K*
Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
Opera up to 720p
Safari up to 1080p on Mac OS X 10.10.3 or later

*Streaming in 4K requires an HDCP 2.2 compliant connection to a 4K capable display, Intel's 7th generation Core CPU, and the latest Windows updates. Check with the manufacturer of your system to verify specifications.

Obviously not all content in the catalogue is available at 1920x1080. You can use CTRL+Shift+ALT+d to inspect the stream. But yeah, naturally the App should play a title at the same fidelity that the Edge browser does. Sometimes you have to wait a while for the software to detect available bandwidth and increase the resolution of the stream. Perhaps that's all that's happening?

You can also use CTRL+Shift+ALT+s to force the highest bitrate stream available for the title. There is a test title in the catalogue that I use to check bitrates sometimes. I've got it saved to my list but I've no idea how to link to it and it doesn't show up in search results any longer. =(

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Netflix probably also uses HLS, which browsers like Edge and Safari have been faster to adopt. Part of the reason of the fragmented Netflix experience.

I always just go with the app because that's as official as it can be.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Riflen posted:

Well, he's correct. Edge and IE11 are the only supported (Windows) browsers for 1920x1080 and Edge is the only supported browser for 4K.
I get that it can play 1080p (and I guess 4K), the point is that some content still doesn't for whatever idiotic reason. In the past I heard bits of content providers hating browser playback, which is especially hilarious now that I've seen first hand that the WinStore app runs for all intents and purposes quasi inside Edge, too.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Weird to see content providers still implementing DRM schemes with limited functionality. Except for physical media (which can't really ever be locked down anyway) pirates stopped cracking this poo poo years ago, these days they just hook up a $20 HDMI splitter to the output. It strips off HDCP and they just capture the output with a capture card.

Even if future output protocols are locked down better (lol plz, there will always be $20 Chinese splitters that stole a DRM key from some other product in the same factory), you can always just take a future-HDCP monitor and disassemble it to get at the raw bits being sent to the display panel.

All the DRM does is stop casual downloading of videos direct from Netflix by the everyday user. Something that never existed and will never exist because there isn't really a point if you can just stream the content anyway.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best way to combat piracy is to make poo poo convenient. Steam makes pirating a dumb decision when you can pay five or ten bucks on a sale to have it "just work," and Crunchyroll has literally killed anime fansubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Part of why Netflix is ok with doing these restrictions is that a lot of people really don't care about a full 4k or even 1080p video in their browser, and a lot of people are viewing on a tablet, phone, or set top box/game console instead. And those tend to have less limits, especially the latest Xbox One and PS4.