Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Bogart posted:

Where do I find the key for Dr. Galvani's apartment in the 9th mission?

To the right of his door is a gallows, check the maids body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sonel posted:

To the right of his door is a gallows, check the maids body.

I read her letter first before finding the body, poor lady :smith:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

GotLag posted:

The Flowers for Algernon Jindosh non-lethal option is far kinder than what you do to Breanna. At least Jindosh forgets what he was like before.

Ramsey's non-lethal route is a thing of beauty. He thinks he's such a vital cog and that everyone else thinks he's important as he does...
...and then he slowly begins to realise that nobody cares to even look for him.

I am apparently the only person who likes Delilah's non-lethal ending. She's dangerous and needs to be put down but she's also a victim of a lovely, unequal society.
Jessamine and Delilah break something, Jessamine escapes what would have been very mild punishment (she is the heir to the throne, after all) by pinning it all on Delilah. This kills Delilah's mother and almost kills Delilah. It's no wonder she's bitter - her father abandons her out of expediency, exposing all his promises as lies, and the playmate who dropped her in the poo poo becomes the people's beloved empress.
When Delilah does get the throne, she appears to not understand why she isn't adored as the Great Betrayer Jessamine was, and the solution she settles on to fix this is to rewriting reality into one in which she is loved as she feels proper. Of course she'd never have been able to achieve any of this without the Outsider bestowing powers on her. What a dick.

A nice call-back to branding High Overseer Campbell. Ain't nobody gonna pass up a chance like that.

I never really got why Emily wouldn't believe that. I mean, you know there are debtor's prisons in your empire, you realise people die in them. So it was Delilah's mum, sucks for her I guess. And it was a young kid telling a lie she didn't realise the ramifications of.

Who gives a poo poo? Get over it Delilah, you're a poor in a lovely world. It's not as if Delilah's actions haven't caused orphans and living standards to plummet.

The ending that would have been better would have been Emily returning to Dunwall and finding it's actually far better off under Delilah. She even mentions it in her travel log as a possibility, should have gone with that Arkane.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mentioned it last time it came up but I really don't believe Delilah's spiel for a second. We're given no reason to believe it and the characters don't either (Corvo wonders how much of it might be true, but Emily sure doesn't). But I guess that's the brilliance of it: We are given no proof that what she's saying is true, but also no proof that it isn't true.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I never really got why Emily wouldn't believe that. I mean, you know there are debtor's prisons in your empire, you realise people die in them. So it was Delilah's mum, sucks for her I guess. And it was a young kid telling a lie she didn't realise the ramifications of.

Who gives a poo poo? Get over it Delilah, you're a poor in a lovely world. It's not as if Delilah's actions haven't caused orphans and living standards to plummet.

The ending that would have been better would have been Emily returning to Dunwall and finding it's actually far better off under Delilah. She even mentions it in her travel log as a possibility, should have gone with that Arkane.

It would have been cool if it was prospering but also under an iron-fisted rule. Would contrast Emily's benign but incredibly inefficient reign well, while keeping Delilah villainous but not cartoonishly so.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Genocyber posted:

It would have been cool if it was prospering but also under an iron-fisted rule. Would contrast Emily's benign but incredibly inefficient reign well, while keeping Delilah villainous but not cartoonishly so.

Yeah, that would have been interesting at least. But going back and seeing endless looted houses and filled gallows? Sorry, but she needs to die. How was Delilah even maintaining control over anything but Dunwall and Serkonos?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I suppose Delilah really didn't need to worry about people's current living standards, because she could have painted them a utopia to live in.

But then she could have just told people that and maintained control through the promise of a better life being on the horizon, rather than with witches randomly murdering people.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As you find out over the course of the campaign, Delilah doesn't actually care about being the empress or ruling the isles besides her own pettiness re: being in the same seat her sister sat in. I like it much better that way because proving her to be a better ruler in any capacity (iron fist or no) when she is characterized the way she is- especially if in this hypothetical her backstory were the same -would make no sense. Emily says to Meagan that she thinks she's gained some perspective from going from riches to rags, and Meagan's basically like "lol yeah right"; I doubt it would work from rags to riches either.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Emily doesn't need more troops. Or any troops really. Just give her a pile of runes and whalebone charms and that's your army dead, probably in their beds.

The future golden age is more black magic :black101:

Hey, considering most of Sokolov's inventions ran off of whale oil and whales are magic, you might be more right than you know.

The Outsider handing out his mark or people making bone charms might be the only way people can do magic in the Isles but there's many hints that earlier civilizations unlocked all sorts of dark powers for themselves, but it was their undoing too, hence why they're not around anymore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I mentioned it last time it came up but I really don't believe Delilah's spiel for a second. We're given no reason to believe it and the characters don't either (Corvo wonders how much of it might be true, but Emily sure doesn't). But I guess that's the brilliance of it: We are given no proof that what she's saying is true, but also no proof that it isn't true.

If you read her diary in mission 8, delilah fully believes it herself. Which still doesn't prove it, but she would have to be incredibly delusional to make all of it up and believe every bit of it. Also, it makes sense with the fact that the outsider gave his mark to her--the theme with the people who get his mark seem to be that they're underdogs, or people with nothing to lose but a lot to gain.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The differences between a low chaos and high chaos play through can be rather stark. I'm at the conservatory now and I found three things totally different than before:

1. Rooftop guard and civilian conversation:
LC: Clearly in a relationship they discuss how life is tough, your job sucks but we'll eventually get enough cash to blow this popstand.
HC: The guard demands an item that she had requested be stolen from the civilian, when the civilian doesn't produce it the guard pushes her off the roof :stare: [spoilers]I murdered the guard immediately after with extreme prejudice[/spoilers]

2. The Howlers trying to lure in marks
LC: Their act is seriously played out and they all act their parts properly. Even though it doesn't work they grumble about it and continue patrolling.
HC: One of the Howlers isn't taking her part seriously, the other howler gets pissed and straight up kills her on the spot.

3. The bar just beyond the wall of light
LC: Clean as a thistle.
HC: The scene of a poker game gone really bad. Bodies, blood everywhere. Furniture all over the room. If you actually take the time to look at the cards you'll see that there is a double of what I would guess is the Dishonored universe's ace of spades so I assume that someone got caught cheating and guns got drawn. The attention to detail here actually amazed me that Arkane allowed the player to discover that someone was actually cheating.

4. Random apartment
LC: I can't recall exactly what was in this apartment on LC, but I don't recall....
HC: A lady got sick of her husband and pushed him. He fell over and hit his head which killed him. She stuffed his body in a suitcase and then slowly goes mad because the suitcase keeps making noises. She is convinced that the husband's spirit is haunting her. The husband must have had bloodfly fever before dying because eventually bloodflies popped out and killed the wife.

I'm not even in the conservatory yet, but there are some pretty big differences. I was high chaos big time for the Clockwork manor but didn't notice anything of this magnitude outside of some small dialogue things said by either Corvo or Emily. I wonder if Arkane allows the player a few missions to really establish a pattern of behavior. Also the outsider's dialogue is a bit different. He'll throw on tiny nuggets like "Look at you leaving a trail of bloody footprints on this dying city." Really interesting to see the differences.

Digirat posted:

Also, it makes sense with the fact that the outsider gave his mark to her--the theme with the people who get his mark seem to be that they're underdogs, or people with nothing to lose but a lot to gain.

Yeah this was my thought on it. The Outsider appears to give his mark to people who have lost everything so he can see what they are willing to do to get what is rightfully theirs back. So I think it's mostly true. It's not at all a justification for what she ended up actually doing - Jessamine and the former Emperor are already dead and Emily (and Corvo for that matter) are completely innocent of the wrongs done to Delilah.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 26, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I flip-flopped almost every mission until 7-9 when I stayed low chaos (but ended in high because gently caress every bad guy in mission 9), and I didn't notice any kind of chaos streak going on.

There are differences as early as mission 2 based on chaos, for example the civilians having an argument with the worker on the docks go away peacefully in low chaos. In high chaos he slams them unconscious with a pipe.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Digirat posted:

I flip-flopped almost every mission until 7-9 when I stayed low chaos (but ended in high because gently caress every bad guy in mission 9), and I didn't notice any kind of chaos streak going on.

There are differences as early as mission 2 based on chaos, for example the civilians having an argument with the worker on the docks go away peacefully in low chaos. In high chaos he slams them unconscious with a pipe.

Cool. I didn't notice that one because I was HC in my first playthrough until I randomly decided I wanted to know what Emily's "good" ending was about halfway through Addermire.

Also that particular fight ticked me off a bunch. I was just standing their watching as Corvo, but after they got knocked unconscious the one remaining dock worker got scared and "detected me" as she was running away as if I had done it. It was my only detection for that level :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

CJacobs posted:

Other characters confirm it (including in The Brigmore Witches), and so does this random guy.

Why might Corvo and Emily reject it out of hand instead of calmly collecting evidence and pondering a question that paints St Jessamine as being not quite perfect (as a child)?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

CJacobs posted:

He is a complete psychopath even regardless of the Duke's orders. He interpreted being told to keep Sokolov prisoner as designing a loving Riddler + Jigsaw mashup trap for the dude that he knew very well the guy wouldn't be able to escape, but still made escape feasible to nudge him into trying. And Jindosh likes him just as much as he dislikes him. Genius means jack squat if you're gonna use it to dissect people and build Metal Gears.

Pretty sure the assessment chamber was made for the clockworks to assess their ability to adapt to changing environments. If you spend some time in there you overhear the soldier's debug voice saying things to that effect. He probably repurposes it for all his major projects. Also the waiting room has a walkway to the lab right along one wall, so it's a natural place to show buyers the thing in action in a safe way.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I said it before, but Jindosh isn't entirely changed after having his attitude adjusted. In an audio log in a later mission he describes going to a park with his handler and collecting beetles. And then pulling their legs off.

Jindosh is utterly unencumbered by empathy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Delilah's deliberately meant to be a sort of tragic character. In my low-Chaos run, Sokolov said during a briefing that she's actually very good at planning, but she let her bitterness run away with the show. I was pretty sure that it was going to lead up to some non-lethal resolution where you could recruit her as an advisor.

There was one red herring early on that I'm surprised didn't come up again. You can find a book in Dunwall about Corvo that talks about his early life, and mentions he has a sister that he hasn't seen for maybe thirty years.

GotLag posted:

I said it before, but Jindosh isn't entirely changed after having his attitude adjusted. In an audio log in a later mission he describes going to a park with his handler and collecting beetles. And then pulling their legs off.

There are a bunch of files about him scattered around that portray him as a sociopath. At six years old he dissected a cat and couldn't understand why doing so scared his mother.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I was so hoping this would be the case because it would have been a great twist.

Emily reclaims her Dad statue and goes "well, poo poo, turns out I really am completely unfit to rule". Then they sail off to the monster infested continent for future adventures.
(leaving behind them a depopulated wasteland/golden city depending on HC/LC of course)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

skoolmunkee posted:

Pretty sure the assessment chamber was made for the clockworks to assess their ability to adapt to changing environments. If you spend some time in there you overhear the soldier's debug voice saying things to that effect. He probably repurposes it for all his major projects. Also the waiting room has a walkway to the lab right along one wall, so it's a natural place to show buyers the thing in action in a safe way.

If you time it just right, the shifting walls can kill the clockwork in that area. It's loving awesome.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Finally beat it! Just over 17 hours, and I know I missed a ton of stuff. Emily, low chaos, mostly nonlethal, powered. Y'all weren't kidding about the ending being abrupt, but it's the journey, not the destination. Now to dig into the other games I have and come back for a Corvo playthrough later. Good game. :shobon:

Also, Jindosh used his Flowers for Algernonizer on Sokolov and wanted to keep doing it until he was only good for improving his clockwork design; he deserved what he got. In fact, I think all of the non-lethal take outs are pretty just, barring maybe the Vice Overseer. He didn't seem to be a bad dude, maybe a little power-hungry, but hey, upward mobility. If Ramsey wasn't such a dip, he probably could've figured a way out of the safe room -- like yelling a lot, perhaps.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I would've liked more info on Paolo to decide if he was that bad to have around. He seems to have mainly been filling the vacuum left by the lack of any real governance from the palace.

Red Serkonos :getin:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

By slams them unconscious you mean kills them outright, you mean. I did HC and ten seconds later one of the other dockworkers saw the bodies and promptly freaked out and called the guards.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

By slams them unconscious you mean kills them outright, you mean. I did HC and ten seconds later one of the other dockworkers saw the bodies and promptly freaked out and called the guards.

I think they're actually unconscious. But they are still bodies that the NPCs freak out over.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Apparently there's counter-attacks in this game, but it seems a soft incident. Somebody got a cheat working for dumping all bone charm traits into your crafting menu so I went on to see if it worked then I just started killing dudes. Somebody had wound back to hit me with his wrench and I pressed attack right as he was about to attack because I'd never got into a sword lock at all in this game and was trying to figure out how you actually do it.

Then Emily bitchslaps the dude, he whips around, and she runs him through the spine. It was loving magical.

So if you're in the high chaos market please give that a try to confirm/deny a counter-attack mechanic. Attack just as they are about to swing their weapon after a wind up. I don't think it was adrenaline and it led straight to an instant kill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Apparently there's counter-attacks in this game, but it seems a soft incident. Somebody got a cheat working for dumping all bone charm traits into your crafting menu so I went on to see if it worked then I just started killing dudes. Somebody had wound back to hit me with his wrench and I pressed attack right as he was about to attack because I'd never got into a sword lock at all in this game and was trying to figure out how you actually do it.

Then Emily bitchslaps the dude, he whips around, and she runs him through the spine. It was loving magical.

So if you're in the high chaos market please give that a try to confirm/deny a counter-attack mechanic. Attack just as they are about to swing their weapon after a wind up. I don't think it was adrenaline and it led straight to an instant kill.

I may be misunderstanding you because yeah, that's a mechanic in the game, they even teach you about it in the tutorial. Parry an enemy and you can instant-kill them or also go right into a throat-jab and then choke them out. It was even a mechanic in the first game though without the non-lethal option.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I may be misunderstanding you because yeah, that's a mechanic in the game, they even teach you about it in the tutorial. Parry an enemy and you can instant-kill them or also go right into a throat-jab and then choke them out. It was even a mechanic in the first game though without the non-lethal option.

There was no parrying involved in this. He wound back to start swinging at me then I just pressed LMB at the same time as he would have attacked and she killed him.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Wanderer posted:

There are a bunch of files about him scattered around that portray him as a sociopath. At six years old he dissected a cat and couldn't understand why doing so scared his mother.

Welp I guess I'm murdering him from now on then.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Normal attacks can trigger their own sync-kill animations, wasn't it just that?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Autsj posted:

Normal attacks can trigger their own sync-kill animations, wasn't it just that?

Nope. There's definitely something to it. I went and finished my Corvo run and did it to a couple witches. Attacking at the right time just outright kills them and nutsacks their attack. There's a small window of opportunity but there's zero indication it's actually open.

edit. I finally have an answer after some more experimenting: it's only possible for me to pull off after they got hit once by my sword. Must just be a quirk of how you can execute people at low health :shrug:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 26, 2016

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

There was one red herring early on that I'm surprised didn't come up again. You can find a book in Dunwall about Corvo that talks about his early life, and mentions he has a sister that he hasn't seen for maybe thirty years.

Supposedly that's the plot of this.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

How was Delilah even maintaining control over anything but Dunwall and Serkonos?

She wasn't. If you look at the notes scattered around the last level, it's clear that Delilah had more or less walled herself off in the palace district and was ignoring the rest of the empire. Her expectation was that the moment she claimed the throne everyone would bow and adore her, but when that didn't happen she decided to hole up and work on her plan B.

Edit: Also, I fully believe Delilah's account of her past. The grudge she holds against Emily and Jessamine reads as too genuine for it to be a con. Emily (and Corvo) don't want to believe it because they live on the inside of Dunwall's elite and don't want to think that maybe Mom was a spoiled rich kid or that Grandad was a philandering rear end.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 26, 2016

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Tyvia's flat-out gearing up for war.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

GotLag posted:

The heart confirms hes a psychopath using the "vivisected a kitten to see how it works" story lifted straight from joffrey

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Malcolm XML posted:

The heart confirms hes a psychopath using the "vivisected a kitten to see how it works" story lifted straight from joffrey
It's a much older idea than that, there's a version from Douglas Adams at least from 2002:
"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Disassembly of small animals being a sign of mental illness is an idea that's probably older than fiction.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wanderer posted:

I find it weird that the games consistently portray fates that are arguably worse than death as the moral "high road," is all.

This troubled me as well but a friend explained that Korkana's version of "honour" is striking back at insults, whereas the Dunwall version of honour is closer to our version of chivalry. I don't know where he got this lore from, but it made things a bit easier to swallow that it was less about the moral high ground and more about sticking to Corvo's cultural influences. :v:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Disassembly of small animals being the basis for all medicine probably goes back further.

Torture and killing of small animals for pleasure is a sign of mental illness. "Disassembling" them to "see how they work", while a bit grim, is the pursuit of science.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah, the Adams quote is just the only one I could find quickly. It's a difficult thing to google for.

There's one I was trying to find which I read in a book, but I can't remember which one. It's about a man who buys his child a pet dog/cat, only to have it fall to its death from the balcony. This happens a couple more times at which point the father catches the child dropping the latest one off the balcony, "this one didn't fly either."

Also goddamn are these levels so wonderfully rich. I've played the game through three times already (once for story, once for clean hands/ghost, once for high chaos), and now that I'm having to traverse without blink/far reach I've found a room/office in The Edge of the World that I completely missed the first three times, with a blueprint and everything.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 26, 2016

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Holy poo poo mission 7. I need to replay the game and knock Stilton out.

That said I found the area quite annoying to navigate. Spent a huge amount of time lost, trying to find the back yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Disassembly of small animals being the basis for all medicine probably goes back further.

Torture and killing of small animals for pleasure is a sign of mental illness. "Disassembling" them to "see how they work", while a bit grim, is the pursuit of science.

A child vivisecting a kitten isn't science.

• Locked thread