Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blah. Trying to figure out what to bring to my SC tomorrow for my corp deck. I'm feeling like fiery info because sync is my jam, but I also think that it's gonna be super teched against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
If you want to win bring CTM or this http://www.acoo.net/deck/20085/store-championship-geekery-hq-2016-1st-kenny-deakins-copy-of-copy-of-mwl2-dedication-ig-/

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Scoop from latest FFG Products newsletter is Core Set 2.0 is happening next quarter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Scoop from latest FFG Products newsletter is Core Set 2.0 is happening next quarter.

Core 2 coincident with rotation will be nice.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Welp, martial law runner spoilers dropped

Aside from the ones we know

Anarch

MKUltra
2 cost- 1 MU- 1 str- 2 inf
Killer
Conspiracy breaker effect on sentries
3 credits: +2 strength, break 2 sentry subs

Criminal

On the Run
Cost 3- 2 influence
Event: Condition
Install On the Run on a resource as a hosted condition counter with the text
"trash: avoid up to three tags or prevent up to three damage".

Shaper

Cold Reading
Cost 0- 1 inf
Event- Run- Stealth
Make a run and place 4 credits on this card that you may only use during this run
When the run ends, trash 1 program you used during this run (cannot be prevented)

Neutral

Baba Yaga
Cost 5- 1 MU- 0 strength- 2 inf
Icebreaker: AI
Baba Yaga may host any number of non-AI Icebreakers.
Baba Yaga gains the paid abilities of all hosted Icebreakers

So Faerie, Yog, corroder, sharpshooter on BY for hilarity?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Need scans plz

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Midjack posted:

Core 2 coincident with rotation will be nice.

Well drat, guess I will wait for that to jump back in. What cycles will go out when the rotation hits again?

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Well drat, guess I will wait for that to jump back in. What cycles will go out when the rotation hits again?

Genesis and Spin, if I recall correctly.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I believe Kate and noise will be gone so it's reina and chaos theory

Stronger together I think for hb

Not sure what the others are going to be according to the scooplords

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

I know Reina isn't "good" per se, but I'll be really happy if she becomes permanent. She's by far my favorite runner :3:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'd rather have Null than Reina, because he feels so archetypal and built as a "my-first-runner" but getting Noise out needs to happen to free up the design space for viruses again. Stronger Together is Fine. ETF is probably SO GOOD that literally no other HB identity will ever truly supplant it in an eventual Standard. Same for Kate.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So what's going to happen to the core set runners being replaced? Are they just going to be illegal/unplayable now?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

So what's going to happen to the core set runners being replaced? Are they just going to be illegal/unplayable now?

Probably just rotate out in lieu of Chaos Theory/Stronger Together or whatever.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if its going to introduce anything new or if it'll just be "new core but with Genesis/Spin cycle stuff replacing things that are too powerful/tricky to design around".
i.e. Will I need a copy or will having those cycles already save me $$

Also good riddance to Noise.

Yithian posted:

I know Reina isn't "good" per se, but I'll be really happy if she becomes permanent. She's by far my favorite runner :3:

Same!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Null is a better fit with the core breakers, but I guess we'll see.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I wonder if its going to introduce anything new or if it'll just be "new core but with Genesis/Spin cycle stuff replacing things that are too powerful/tricky to design around".
i.e. Will I need a copy or will having those cycles already save me $$

Also good riddance to Noise.

Same!

In a better world it would be stuff that already exists or they'd make an upgrade pack that was 3x of the new stuff. I predict we'll have to buy 3 new cores again though!

Edit:vvvvvvvvv what does your heart tell you?

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 27, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is there any word on what will change with the core? Will it still require multiples, or will it be supplemental to the 1st one?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought the Core/Deluxe IDs were permanent.

e:pragnet

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 27, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I thought the Core/Deluxe IDs were permanenet.

I can see that getting revised to "most recent core."

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there any word on what will change with the core? Will it still require multiples, or will it be supplemental to the 1st one?

None, no further infor at this time. The *guess* is that it will be reprints and erratas, but all I have to go on is the word of the ordering guy at a shop.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
This game seriously NEEDS a Core 2.0. I am hopeful they are planning this.

So with Genesis and Spin cycling out, when is the next time the next two will cycle out, two years?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

jeeves posted:

This game seriously NEEDS a Core 2.0. I am hopeful they are planning this.

So with Genesis and Spin cycling out, when is the next time the next two will cycle out, two years?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/when-new-programs-overwrite-the-old/

Once a year, tied to cycle releases.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope Core 2.0 is "buy two boxes and get everything" instead of the stupid way they did the original where there were like 2 cards you had to buy the third box for.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Radish posted:

I hope Core 2.0 is "buy two boxes and get everything" instead of the stupid way they did the original where there were like 2 cards you had to buy the third box for.

Maybe even buy one box and get everything...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Do you think that a supplementary product where you bought a pack and got some number of random full art/shiny cards would be good or bad for the game?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I bought Netrunner to avoid the blind buy dragon chase, I don't want that back.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

pointsofdata posted:

Do you think that a supplementary product where you bought a pack and got some number of random full art/shiny cards would be good or bad for the game?

They sort of did that already--the 2015 World Champ premade decks are all full-art. They're only random in the context of this game, in that the cards are from a bunch of different packs.

They're all the same premade decks, though. I dig that model, but yeah, blind packs are dumb. "Collectible" or "random" are two words that kill any interest I have in a game.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The draft packs flopped pretty badly; I doubt the same idea but with alt arts would do any better.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The world champion decks are now the only physical netrunner I own QQ

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

LoL

I hope that's the case but I also bought a lottery ticket last night, so I'm unrealistic and hopeful.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the scoop was that all the cards are core/genesis/spin so longtime players won't need it. Don't know if that's true though.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The rumour has always been that Core 2.0 would be a mix of cards from the original core AND some cards from Genesis and Spin that would otherwise be rotating out. The idea being:

1) FFG gets to rebalance the Core Set, which is something that needs doing. ETF is way too generically good, Noise is disruptive to the design space, a lot of the Core cards are just kinda bad and could be replaced with better cards from Spin and Genesis without anyone lamenting their loss, etc etc. So you could (for instance) replace Noise with Reina Roja or Whizzard and ETF with The Foundry or Stronger Together, ditch Research Station for Crisium Grid and so on.

2) Long-term players who already own Spin and Genesis won't need to rebuy anything. For them the only effect of Core 2.0 will be to stop some Genesis and Spin cards from rotating out and to make some cards in Core 1.0 rotate out instead.

tl;dr the rumour has always been you won't need to buy Core 2.0 if you have a set of Genesis and Spin. But it's just a rumour so who really knows.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 28, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wouldn't they use Core 2.0 as an opportunity to get rid of 3/2 agendas? The designers are pretty open about disliking them.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wouldn't they use Core 2.0 as an opportunity to get rid of 3/2 agendas? The designers are pretty open about disliking them.
Maybe , and yeah they have said that, but it would kill Never Advance pretty dead as a strategy which would be a huge change to the game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

I mean yeah that would be ideal but Fantasy Flight seems fundemenatlly opposed to that idea sadly.

Midjack posted:

The draft packs flopped pretty badly; I doubt the same idea but with alt arts would do any better.

Expensive draft packs you use one time and then the cards are worthless since you already have them and can't count on the random factor to fill out the holes from datapacks you missed was silly. It's not like there's a Friday night Netrunner where you get prize support from doing well at draft play. A better way would have been to release the draft starters then some sort of app that generated a cube or something instead of sticking stores with draft packs that sit on the shelves forever.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm just buying in and have 1 core, creation and control, and honor and profit. I wanna play casually and against a couple of guys with big card pools. Should I hold off on buying in to Genesis and spin cycle for now until core 2?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

vandalism posted:

I'm just buying in and have 1 core, creation and control, and honor and profit. I wanna play casually and against a couple of guys with big card pools. Should I hold off on buying in to Genesis and spin cycle for now until core 2?

Get Opening Moves as soon as you can for Jackson. But don't let us dissuade you from expanding where you want. We're chawing on about community-hoped-for-but-wholly-unsubstantiated rumors. Buy the cards you want to buy and don't let the very loud, very top-end of the player base influence you too much.

Radish posted:

I mean yeah that would be ideal but Fantasy Flight seems fundemenatlly opposed to that idea sadly.

On the same not, I'm actually fine with the way FFG does core sets. Yes, I would love if they did completion sets, but they have repeatedly stressed that a significant portion of the player base does not buy 3x Core + Everything. Making the game approachable by buying one box is a significant portion of the model, even if those players aren't on every ANR message board they can find and listening to three podcasts a week.

The Deleter posted:

I bought Netrunner to avoid the blind buy dragon chase, I don't want that back.

Draft MTG is the best way to play MTG. For $15 a head you get your evenings entertainment which is a perfectly reasonable amount of money to spend on it. But, yeah, spending twice that, without the possibility of pulling money isn't. I've heard Netrunner Cube is great and would love to try that format though.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

vandalism posted:

If you are not doing tournaments then rotation does not really affect you. Just ask them if they are willing to let you use non-tournament legal decks.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Can anyone recommend any good articles for an ok player who's looking to up their game? One of the problems I've got is that there are so many cards now that it's tough to know where to start with deck building other than just netdecking the top decks on NRDB. Which is fun but I'm often unsure how best to pilot those decks.

What I'm really looking for is a run down of some of the more popular archetype decks and how to pilot them. Also, some advice on some of the more basic card-combos and how and when to play them. For example, I know that I'm supposed to psychographics a project beal for many agenda points, but in reality I have very little luck actually getting to a point in a game where I can do that successfully.

I know how to play the game, but I want to get better and I want to know the basic plays. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Try browsing the articles on this site:

https://runthenet.wordpress.com/

You can also try YouTube channels like Team Covenant or CodeMarvellous's channels, which have useful commentary over games. Watch enough of those and you'll absorb most of the concepts by osmosis, at least in theory. You can also try playing training games IRL with people who are better than you and ask them questions about why they're making certain plays and so on.

As for archetypes, here are a few for Corp side:

Glacier decks use lots of big ICE and defensive upgrades to make it difficult for runners to get into servers, and aim to score agendas out of remotes. Foodcoats (don't worry about the name, it's a bunch of dumb rabbit-holed meta-references) is the standard example but you could also run it out of Palana, Replicating Perfection, Blue Sun or New Angeles Sol.

Rush decks are the opposite of glacier. They use cheap gear-check ICE (ie stuff with "end the run" subroutines) to force runners to go digging for icebreakers and hope to score out before the runner can get set up. There's a variant called Supermodernism which is played out of Weyland uses the threat of SEA Source and Scorched Earth to slow the runner down even more and provide an alternate win condition.

Fast Advance decks are confusingly named and are not really like rush decks. The idea is to score most of your agendas straight out of hand, without leaving them on the table during the runner's turn. Russian NEH is a good example. It can score 3/x agendas in a single turn using either SanSan City Grid or shenanigans with Jeeves, Subliminal Messaging and Shipment from SanSan.

Asset spam decks pretty much do what they say. The idea is you install a whole load of powerful assets naked on the table and overwhelm the runner's ability to trash them all. You can bluff 3/x agendas in among the assets for extra fun. Here's one out of Gagarin, but you can also run them out of NEH, Controlling the Message, or even ETF.

Kill decks try to flatline the runner. At the moment they come in two main flavours. One is run out of Industrial Genomics and uses that IDs ability to make it hard for the runner to trash all the damaging assets it plays. It kills the runner with net damage. The other is run out of some flavour of NBN (usually either Near Earth Hub or Haarpsichord) and kills you with meat damage by using Power Shutdown to put its entire deck into Archives, Jackson Howard to shuffle various combo pieces back into R&D (depending on the board state and what you have in hand etc), then Accelerated Diagnostics to play them all at once, which usually results in the runner being hit with two rounds of Boom!

Plus there are other Corp decks around, like Potential Unleashed mill decks, Personal Evolution thousand-cuts decks, Butchershop decks which try to mix Fast Advance with a flatline threat, intricate and weird score-seven-points-in-a-single-turn-combo decks run out of Cerebral Imaging, tag-based decks that drain the runner of cash, steal their stolen agendas back and generally mess with runners. The current meta hotness is a mix of asset spam and tag-based operations played out of Controlling the Message. This list just won Worlds.

If you want to get more detailed advice on how to play a particular archetype you can try browsing NRDB's decklist (searching by cards included is usually the best way) and looking for decks with detailed descriptions.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 29, 2016

• Locked thread