Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The first fish that everyone catches is a bluegill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

My first fishing experience was a kindly old man dropping a foot long pike on my feet while I screamed and my dad laughed at me.

In my defense they do look like a snake demon

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

withak posted:

I think there is a good chance that the first fish I caught was a bluegill. Might've been a bass, though - we had both in the pond on our property.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My dad had a mini baseball bat that he said was specifically for pike.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The first fish I ever caught was a 6 lb catfish when I was about 7 years old. My Dad said catfish love Mtn Dew so I poured some on the bait and caught it on the next cast. My Dad was a Good Dad.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

Used to catch pickerel as a kid when we lived on the East coast. Good eatin' and fun to catch, but absolute bastards. I was cleaning one and the head kept trying to bite me even after I decapitated the drat fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_pickerel

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pahuyuth posted:

The first fish I ever caught was a 6 lb catfish when I was about 7 years old. My Dad said catfish love Mtn Dew so I poured some on the bait and caught it on the next cast. My Dad was a Good Dad.

Catching a 6 pound catfish is cool because it's basically like catching a 12lb bucket of rocks.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Round here and probably everywhere they call it a "Priest", because it delivers the last rites.
The first fish I ever caught was a small pike, out on the lake with my dad in a 2 person rowing boat, and I nearly jumped overboard because even after he cut it's loving head off, it kept opening and closing it's mouth.
I was about 7 years old and to me, it was a HUGE shark.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

withak posted:

I was going say bream, but it turns out that what I've called a bream all my life is in fact a bluegill. You are correct.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Butter Dal fffffffffff

2 cups moong dal cooked ~1hr in ~5 cups water w 1tsp tumeric, 4 bay leaves, chx bullion if you want, or use stock instead of water

5tbsp butter in which have been fried 2 shallots 8 toes garlic 1tsp cumin buncha chili, dump into dal

Balance out fat with ~1.5 tbsp vinegar of choice (red wine) or lemon juice (about half a big ol lemon)

Tastes almost like lobster, is almost free

Garnish with green poo poo if you want, coriander is the go to in India but parsley or green onion or dill would all be fine, even fennel frond

Traditionally it's more soupy but I like to heat it up on a paper plate instead of a bowl so I make it thicc

raton fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 21, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Btw keep an eye on the dal when it comes up to the initial boil poo poo loves to boil over in a flash

You will have to skim off foam 3-4 times as it cooks as well

I rinse the dal before cooking it like rice but you don't have to

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Btw keep an eye on the dal when it comes up to the initial boil poo poo loves to boil over in a flash

You will have to skim off foam 3-4 times as it cooks as well

I rinse the dal before cooking it like rice but you don't have to

We usually soak the lentils all day before cooking in a pressure cooker. Let it come up to pressure, then turn off the burner & release the pressure, then open the lid and stir. Repeat this maybe 3 times and you should be good.

Mix it with basmati rice. Take each bite with a little bit of plain yogurt and a little piece of mixed achaar. Goddamn good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have a pressure cooker unfortunately.

You don't have to soak lentils at all. You actually don't have to soak any bean but larger beans can turn out a little strange texturally if they aren't soaked so I soak them. Lentils however you can just cook straight from dry.

The soaking is a fuel saving measure, obviously important in places where you have to get every calorie per cent that you can, obviously basically negligible in an equipped first world kitchen setting.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pham Nuwen posted:

We usually soak the lentils all day before cooking in a pressure cooker. Let it come up to pressure, then turn off the burner & release the pressure, then open the lid and stir. Repeat this maybe 3 times and you should be good.

Mix it with basmati rice. Take each bite with a little bit of plain yogurt and a little piece of mixed achaar. Goddamn good.

Don't forget a couple chatnis served alongside.

Also good instead of rice is idli. They take a day to make, but most of that time is just sitting. You'll need a blender for this, and if you know that yours is pretty wimpy (like a Ninja), you might want to skip this one. For what it's worth, I've made idli batter with an old Osterizer - the type with an on/off switch and a pulse toggle, nothing else. I had to do it in like four batches though.

Anyway, idlis are like a little plump heaven cake. Traditionally they're made with a particular sort of rice, but you can use anything you have on hand; it'll be delicious regardless.

It's also a good excuse to pick up urad dal, which is amazing. I'd sub 10-15% of the above moong dal for urad if you feel like mixing it up; urad has a strong, rich, earthy, deep flavor.

If you don't have an idli mold, don't panic - you can buy some corn husks in the Latino aisle of your supermarket and wrap it up like a tamale, then steam those. They're bigger, but the texture will be the same, and the flavor will be almost the same with a little bit of corn husk flavor. You can also take small bowls, pinch cups or whatever, fill them with batter, and steam.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Look Sir Droids posted:

Would eat. He's pretty good with a filet knife to get that much meat off a blue gill.

Easy on big ones like that with any practice at all. The little ones are good too, just fry them gutted and scaled instead of spending hours filleting them, the stabby dorsal and anal fins pull right out of the cooked fish and you can nibble the meat right off the bones.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i dont know where to put this so ill just leave it here

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a7_1478519176

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Best part, Dadliest part of daal is the inevitable uncontrollable gas

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Planet X posted:

Best part, Dadliest part of daal is the inevitable uncontrollable gas

Moong dal is known among dals for giving the least gas but least is not none

raton fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 22, 2016

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Which is the gassiest daal? Thank you.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Planet X posted:

Which is the gassiest daal? Thank you.

IDK

Probably them big green ones with the chitenous rear end husk

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Sardudes,

KO is giving away free 'dines. http://kingoscar.com/RoyalTasterGive-Away/A31

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Signed up, hope I get some of those sweet sweet dines. I had my second can of KO dines the other day. This time I had the Jalapeno dines, and they were pretty drat good although I would have liked even more jalapeno pieces. I mentioned before that I didn't care for the texture or taste of the tails, but I found that if I eat the dine+cracker tail-first, it's not as noticeable. High quality fish.

Edit: Gotta say I loving love Costco's Season brand dines with some Tabasco; although they're boneless+skinless, the flavor and texture is fantastic.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
If I'm feeling squimish about the tails or bones for some reason, I just mash the fish up in to a paste. Eat it on crackers like hummus or make a 'dine salad sandwich.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Look Sir Droids posted:

If I'm feeling squimish about the tails or bones for some reason, I just mash the fish up in to a paste. Eat it on crackers like hummus or make a 'dine salad sandwich.

I did a 'dine salad a couple weeks back using smoked chicken of the sea dines. It was way better and cheaper than any tuna salad I've ever had. Never goin' back.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://my.mixtape.moe/rvtmro.webm

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Brave new frontiers gents.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Herr Tog posted:

Report back!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Herr Tog posted:

AS for the canned asian fishes I gotted from the Asian markets of NYC I liked them

As for this dog covered in honey:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Gonna try some King Oscars on toast with Tabasco brand 'Pepper Jelly'. Might as well, accidentally bought the boneless/skinless KOs...

Q_res fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 24, 2016

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Happy National Sardine Day!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Of course I forgot one Thanksgiving ingredient, and everyplace but the Walmart Neighborhood Market was closed today. I usually avoid Walmart at all costs, but this was a desperate situation. I wasn't alone in that -- the place was mobbed. I thanked two employees for being open today, and they smiled nervously, not wanting to admit they didn't have a choice. I found what I needed, but I also checked out their 'dine section, since I wondered if they might have stuff Publix, Fresh Market, Target, Aldi, and Costco don't. And remembering what someone said several pages ago, I picked up a can of Polar smoked kippers to try some time.

They also had soft loaves of French bread coated with everything bagel seasoning for $1, so I picked up one of those too. The rare times I end up at Walmart, I find those impossible to resist. They make a drat fine hoagie.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 26, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing wrong with "gently caress Walmart for making you work today" as you checkout, bathed in a little hypocrisy, but that's life

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Just a lil' dine and avocado and rocket salad I made.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
I like canned fishies and I like eel, so why the hell not?

Had a sort of dry texture that, combined with the sauce, reminded me of sweet and sour chicken.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Just opened a can of Wild Planets that only had two large fish in it. Was kind of a surprise but they were very tasty and had a nice flaky texture.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I couldn't procure any Spanish style King Oscars on my travels, so I ordered a case of them.

Even if they aren't quite the religious experience I imagine them to be, I have yet to find a can of KO that I didn't like.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

Just a lil' dine and avocado and rocket salad I made.

This looks pretty deluxe imho

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah that salad looks pretty good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

cenotaph posted:

Just opened a can of Wild Planets that only had two large fish in it. Was kind of a surprise but they were very tasty and had a nice flaky texture.

I also had this same experience recently with a can of Wild Planet 'dines. Only two fishies but they were huge, meaty, and delicious. Quite possibly the single best can of sardines I have ever had.

yeah that salad is pro as heck. 'dines, 'maters, cukes, arugula, 'cado, ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think rocket is some kinda special mountain arugula but I've never had actual rocket so idk