Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

starkebn posted:

Beer, where I think you're really wrong about CRoberts is that you're conflating the idea that us saying he is well aware of the scamming are trying to say he's masterminding the scam. It's two different things. No way he doesn't know the scam is being pulled. I would agree he is to stupid to be the one running it.

So basically CR isn't stealing poo poo, he's just the guy buying the stuff off the back of a truck? I could buy that. And I agree that doesn't make him any less culpable.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think the best way I can put it is more or less what I said when it turned out Sandi was emailing your buddy his posts on SA to him, and that's just that they're maliciously incompetent. They come across to me as loving stupid and they're really nasty about it, because they seem to think they're smarter than they really are and don't understand how to handle things like normal, sane people would. They'd step on your back rather then step over it, but would then probably lose balance and fall into a rose bush.

Chris is just as nasty as the rest of them and he's basically admitted that he is in dealing with staff. It's even worse if TheAgent's stories are true. I have no doubt he's okayed every underhanded little trick and known exactly why it was that built that way financially. He thinks the demo was possible because of arrogance and stupidity, that he can simply decree and it will be done. Failure is ego damage and he won't accept that.

Remember, "the backers will never know."

"Maliciously incompetent" is a perfect way to put it. I think in the end it doesn't matter; we all agree they deserve whatever is coming to them and regardless of who is actively scamming versus knowingly benefiting from the scam they're all responsible for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
this thread loving sucks rear end now

i didn't think it could get worse but hey, here we are

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So basically CR isn't stealing poo poo, he's just the guy buying the stuff off the back of a truck? I could buy that. And I agree that doesn't make him any less culpable.

He's the guy selling stuff off the back of a truck and claiming he had no idea the boxes we full of bricks and all I ever wanted was to sell affordable TVs to backers, and I would have succeeded if it weren't for Derek Sm

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
lmao you probated marching powder

lol. good luck with the thread, i guess

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

Oh no, someone won't let me post my lovely opinion on a dead gay comedy forum, WHAT THE gently caress DO I DO NOW!?!?!?

Lol at your fake outrage.

Does every contrarian point of view make you piss your pants like a little bitch?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Something I have done with every online game I’ve played is created a backstory for the character to help in my role playing. With Star Citizen, and this is in keeping with how much I’ve grown fond of the game, I’m building an extensive scenario around the character. I haven’t done this much research into building a back story since my producer days. It’s been great getting into that obsessive creative mode.

For me to get into the skin of the character I had to decide what type of character I wanted to play. Did I want to be a killing mercenary? Did I want to be a trader? I knew I wanted to be an explorer. I’m not really a combat kind of guy. I saw the game had an element of data running, which fit into my old-school cyberpunk vibe. Knowing that foundation helped in forming my character. That was important because a danger for me is if I’m not sure what type of character I tend to get into a phase where I must get everything. I could get lost in chasing what seems to be the cool and exciting thing without thinking through if what I’m getting will benefit me. Having a plan in place can prevent crazy purchases, which I have seen a lot of players do.

The first thing I knew was I wanted a character that was like me. Let’s be serious; if I was going to roleplay a character, it would be easy if that character had qualities that I had. Something else that became incorporated into the backstory was using real life events to enhance the story. A technique I learned a long time ago in writing was setting up triggers that would keep me focused on the overall goal of a character, story or background. For instance, when I was developing the book Reality Gambit, I laced a lot of minor character names or objects to events that I could relate to feeling and emotions I had at the time. For example, there was a group in the book called the Takagi Turks. The association I got from that was from The Who Quadophenia. I knew a guy in high school (I’m still in contact with him on Facebook) who used to wear a jacket like that from the album. That makes me think of the hidden punk vibe I had at that age. I was kind of straight laced but there was the rebellion that was just below the surface that I used for Julian Sinclair that fueled his unhappiness with society. If I ever strayed in my notes from something Julian would do, those key phrases and events I set up would make me think and make sure what I was writing was something my main character would do.

With the persona I made in Star Citizen, I wanted to have a character that was like a lot of 80s British writers of comic books for DC and Marvel that injected new life into established second or third tier characters. Simply put I wanted to do a radial twist on the usual role playing character, which meant twisting and refining the usual background of the character.

The first thing I did was study what had been put out in the Star Citizen universe. I had a few ideas of what I wanted the character to be, but I had to see how it fit into the world they established. To be honest, I made some mistakes in the beginning. Ultimately those mistakes helped because it made me choose what elements I wanted to keep and then fit them logically into the established world.

Early on I wanted to make a guild and I built a guild that was a complete betrayal of what I wanted to do in the game. I tried writing scenarios that would make logical sense for my thoughts about the guild but the options felt forced. If you have a guy who is based on being a mold breaker, it didn’t make sense he would fit into a corporate mold. The history I made for the character didn’t fit the character or the guild he was establishing. I thought about dissolving the guild and going solo bit I didn’t want that. I liked some of the back history of the guild but not other parts.

One thing I find hard to do, and this goes for any creative person, is throwing away hard worked on concepts. To just jettison things out feels like the time spend developing them was a waste of time. I’ve realized through years of doing this stuff is everything is a building block. There could be a kernel of a good concept in an otherwise bad idea.

The surprise Trump win in the election, and the fact that I witnessed this election in another country, made me think about the box I put myself in with the character. Thinking outside of the box I knew there was a way I could make the backstory and the character work in my eyes. Here’s another thing I try to avoid in setting up these scenarios. Something I don’t like in popular culture shows is the linear relationship between protagonist and antagonist. If you watch shows like Arrow or Supergirl, the hero makes it a point of feeling that the city is theirs so they must protect it. I wanted a sense of heroism with the character but not a possessive “no one else can do this but me” attitude. I wanted a hero aspect in the character but a realistic one, not a comic book one.

The Trump effect meant for me that all plans didn’t have to follow a path, but that shouldn’t detour from the main goal. What had been bugging me the most about the persona I set up was it was serviceable and actually good for someone who was a heavy gamer. I was trying to set up a scenario that would work for the community, not what was best for me. I had a backstory set up where this guy came in, worked hard, then got handed a dream job of a lifetime, did well with that and was rewarded with a promotion and this new wonderful opportunity. What spoke to me and excited me was the subtle hints I built into the scenario that the happy work life might not be real. I built in hints, reminders that the company might not be as friendly and open minded as I set up in the initial backstory.

That left me with the option of starting a new guild with a new backstory or salvaging the backstory I had. I picked the unknown at the time option three.

The backstory I laid out was good but the focus was on the corporation and not the persona. I realized I wanted to know about the character and his motivations, not his resume. I started thinking about what would make someone leave a comfortable job and start from the bottom again. I didn’t want to have it as a ‘protect my city’ answer.

While I was formulating this reconstruction an image from a protest in the past few years burned in my mind. I had been thinking of the image and I desperately wanted to have that image fit with my character. I couldn’t find an easy way of doing it. It was powerful but in the established universe I didn’t see how it could work. In the backstory of the guild, I had a conflict that occurred in an unexplored sector of space. I had some settlers put roots there, a few corporations laid claim to the area, and the company that my character ultimately ended up working for negotiated at treaty between the settlers and the corporations. In the original notes, I hinted at an attack on a space station where negotiations were held. In the original write up, those negotiations elevated the prestige of the company which over the years brought them close to galactic prominence.

I could break down a lot of general psychological issues as to why having this image as a motivating factor would bring emotional substance to the character, but the bigger issue for me was making it fit logically into the lore. No matter what I did, because of the long-time line between incidents in the space station attack and the present day of the character (which was about 100 years) I couldn’t make the timeline work. At this point I can see many people saying just shift it and no one will care. With the amount of writing I’ve done like this in my Hollywood days, I just can’t retcon something without finding a logical way for seemingly conflicting events to work.

What finally broke the code was the side issue that evolved with the President-elect. I saw the election results from another country. It took me some time after returning to the stares to realize Donald Trump was the President-elect. It didn’t seem real. I felt like I did when our division was removed from my last job. It’s disorienting. I wanted to blame my former employer for the loss of my job but finally I had to move on. I wanted to have my character fired from his job, which would force him to become a freelancer. I wanted the photo somehow incorporated into the backstory. I had come up with a name for the woman in the photo, Jacqui Sckylar, who lead a revolt on the colonies in the Banshee system. It was her attack that lead to the treaty being signed. Had I left her story like that it would have been good but I knew what the photo represented. It was of defiance to the system, righteous defiance. I couldn’t have that image represent something negative in the sense of her defiance being wrong. Even though my scenario for my character leaving made some sense in the way I had things constructed at the time, it didn’t sit right in my gut.

I remembered a documentary I saw about Patty Hearst where the theory was Patti was a willing participant in the bank robberies she committed with the Symbionese Liberation Army. The picture of the defiant woman against the police took an interesting twist in my head. By adding an eccentric aunt that was a reporter, adding elements from Patty Hearst’s life and just a pinch of typical TV stuff, I constructed a backstory that felt right for the character.

I would have to say the character’s backstory is a hybrid of the original and new version in equal parts. For me it feels like a full character and the choices made by the character makes sense by the template I’ve established. The new template helped in establishing the construct of the new guild, from its history to its charter and logo. I’ve kept a few bits of information hidden, but there are enough clues, not easy clues, that someone looking for them can see what direction I’m aiming for.

Working on this element of my Star Citizen character has been fun. I could use a lot of creative skills I haven’t used in years and it felt good to work on designing a small section of a universe.

Finally, I want to show the final results of the backstory I established for the guild and my persona’s history. First is the guild history:

History –

On September 5, 2901, Jacqui Sckylar died. Sckylar was the leader of a UEE resistance group. History remembers her for her involvement in the Curiel Corporate War, where several corporations battled for control of newly discovered planets beyond the Banshee system. Hawat Information Conglomerate worked on negotiating a peace settlement between corporations, but Jacqui Sckylar lead a group of paramilitary troops and attacked Bethel station, the neutral station where peace negotiations were held. Many were killed, including Ravi Hawat, CEO of Hawat Information Conglomerate at the time. Jacqui went underground and was captured eight months later. She was tried and convicted of the Bethel Station massacre without offering a defense. Sckylar was held at UEE Penal Satellite 17, known as The Box until her death.

The McFarland Accord, drafted after the attack by new HIC CEO Andre Hawat and ratified by the warring corporations and UEE, ushered in a new era of cooperation and free flow of information between companies and the UEE. The accord lead to the prominence of Hawat Information Conglomerate. By 2940, when the Ravenheart expedition to the areas beyond the Chronos region had been completed, the new CEO of HIC Michelle Hawat was poised to take the company to the next level.

I was the first officer on the HIC Research vessel Antioch, one of the ships that was part of the Ravenheart expedition. When we returned, I was given a hefty expedition compensation package and promotion to Executive Acquisitionist. A meeting with Georgina Cookson, the Number Two of the company who was directly under CEO Michelle Hawat, led to my appointment to the point person for Division 26, the program set up to process, analyze and correlate the value of information from the expedition.

In 2944, my aunt Shailagh Jarrett died. She was a freelance reporter with the Carney-Gibbs Journal. She won the Canegallo Award for Ethics in Journalism fifteen years ago, for a series of articles she wrote about Skylar and the conflict in the Banshee system. The award was created “to honor the journalist of integrity and character who reports with insight and clarity in the face of political or economic pressures and to reward performance that inspires public trust in the media.” I inherited property and journals from my aunt which had some information from those reports that didn’t get into the final draft of the articles. Around the same time there was a shift in power at Hawat. Senior Executive Donald Conway took over the company as CEO after the board gave a vote of non-confidence for Michelle Hawat. I was “relieved” of my contractual obligations with Hawat Information Conglomerate.

I decided to take the basic principles I established with HIC and refine them for PVI. PVI will ensure that knowledge beneficial to achieving interplanetary cooperation in solving intergalactic problems of economic, social and cultural difference is available to all who request. We are collective gathered for support of fellow explorers and information brokers. We will never ask, persuade or demand information you find be exclusively carried by us. We do not control whom you sell or give your information to. We are independent in every way and are merely a gathering of individuals who can use our collective resources for bolder and cooperative endeavors.

Next is my character’s bio:

Fifteen years prior to working for Hawat Information Conglomerate, I worked several jobs in the field of data reconstruction and acquisition. I learned a lot of my skills from my Aunt Shailagh Jarrett. She was a reporter that worked for the Moran Dunn News Agency in the early days of the company. When I was ten my parents and siblings were killed in a freighter explosion. My aunt took me in and before I knew it I was her apprentice. When I was eleven my aunt quit the agency, supposedly because she felt trapped with one company and felt her talents could be appreciated elsewhere. I think the real reason she left was to spend more time raising me. Whatever her reasons, I learned so much from her about the business of gathering information. Eventually she secured a job with the Carney-Gibbs Journal that she held until her death. When she secured a job with them I knew it was time for me to leave the nest.

I never thought I would become a corporate suit. I liked the freedom and challenges of being independent. I didn’t have to get involved in office politics and any personal conflicts were resolved when I was assigned to another project. Between gigs Aunt Jarrett was always working on a story that I could help with research material.

I started working for Hawat Information Conglomerate as a temporary data acquisitionist. My supervisor at the time was impressed with my work and I was offered a permanent position with the company a year later. Three years on the job, when I was a senior acquisitionist, I was selected for the Ravenheart expedition; a deep space exploration mission stretching past the Chronos system. The chance of working on a long-range mission exploring uncharted territory was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. The seven-year mission revealed a lot of scientific, resource and navigational information and was key, along with the ten other long-range exploration missions at the time, in elevating the prestige of Hawat Information Conglomerate and CEO Michelle Hawat.

When we returned from the mission in 2940, I was given a hefty expedition compensation and promotion to Executive Acquisitionist. I spent a couple of years analyzing the information we obtained on the mission. While the desk job was secure and the compensation and perks were exceptional, I felt confined in my position. I missed the freedom I had when I was freelance, but the pay was. A meeting with Georgina Cookson, the Number Two of the company who was directly under CEO Michelle Hawat, led to my appointment to the point person for Division 26, the program set up to process, analyze and correlate the value of information from the expedition.

In 2942, my aunt Shailagh Jarrett died. We were still close, reminiscing and catching up on events in our lives when we saw each other, but between her system trotting adventures working for the Carney-Gibbs Journal and my seven-year mission, well, we drifted apart. Before she died she was awarded the Canegallo Award for Ethics in Journalism. It was for a series of articles she wrote about Jacqui Skylar and the conflict in the Banshee system. The award was created “to honor the journalist of integrity and character who reports with insight and clarity in the face of political or economic pressures and to reward performance that inspires public trust in the media.”

Many years ago, Jacqui Sckylar was the leader of a UEE resistance group. History remembers her for her involvement in the Curiel Corporate War, where several corporations battled for control of newly discovered planets beyond the Banshee system. Jacqui went underground after the attack she led on the Bethel space station. After a massive hunt by the UEE, she was found, tried and convicted of the Bethel Station massacre. She offered no defense of her actions. Sckylar was held at UEE Penal Satellite 17, known as The Box until her death. My aunt interviewed her for series of articles at the time of Sckylar’s death. Her award was for a new set of articles she did, revisiting the massacre, the trial and incarceration of Jacqui Sckylar.

I inherited property and journals from my aunt which had some information from those reports that didn’t get into the final draft of the articles. Around the same time my aunt died, there was a shift in power at Hawat. Senior Executive Donald Conway took over the company as CEO after the board gave a vote of non-confidence for Michelle Hawat. I was “relieved” of my contractual obligations with Hawat Information Conglomerate in a company purge.

Thankfully, my involuntary retirement was at a time when I needed a shakeup in my life. Being free of corporate obligations will allow me to follow in my aunt’s footsteps. With the skills I have learned from her and years of freelance and corporate training, working to establish a gateway for independent explorers and information brokers get fair compensation for their services as well as not being restricted in whom they can see information to will be liberating. It can afford a freedom of information many haven’t seen in some time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

He's the guy selling stuff off the back of a truck and claiming he had no idea the boxes we full of bricks and all I ever wanted was to sell affordable TVs to backers, and I would have succeeded if it weren't for Derek Sm

That makes sense.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

thatguy posted:

How much have the regulars in FYAD spent on... uhhhh... anime?

What exactly are you implying here? :colbert:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Anime is good

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I'd like to apologize for concern trolling earlier where i insinuated that doxxing is bad

I used to be able to post in the Pet Island forum, posting pictures of dogs and horses. then one day, someone posted a picture of a horse that was too thin, and i said; "a horse of that breed shouldn't have protruding ribs. you need to feed your horse more", but it was a slippery slide and now i'm out of control doing insane concern trolls like saying people should be nice to each other, and even to animals, as well.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Grandmother of Five posted:

I'd like to apologize for concern trolling earlier where i insinuated that doxxing is bad

I used to be able to post in the Pet Island forum, posting pictures of dogs and horses. then one day, someone posted a picture of a horse that was too thin, and i said; "a horse of that breed shouldn't have protruding ribs. you need to feed your horse more", but it was a slippery slide and now i'm out of control doing insane concern trolls like saying people should be nice to each other, and even to animals, as well.

Don't apologise -- the pursuit of a higher moral character is something everyone should work for, not apologise for.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

Don't apologise -- the pursuit of a higher moral character is something everyone should work for, not apologise for.

Which is why I'll keep on insisting that Anime is good, even if others can't see it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
My refund paypal credit went to buying a Mi Band 2, a few titles from GOG's sale, 2 Humble Bundles, a year's subscription for my antivirus, a mobile app, and partially paying off this month's phone bill.

It's all gone now, but money well spent I say.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
FYAD kramers in the thread and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. he kramers against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he’s trying to say something to you but he’s kramering at such a high velocity you just can’t quite make it out. as he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim “I’m just trying to say doxxing is bad, that’s what’s so CRAZY about this” on the way down

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
giantswastika.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Something I have done with every online game I’ve played is created a backstory for the character to help in my role playing. With Star Citizen, and this is in keeping with how much I’ve grown fond of the game, I’m building an extensive scenario around the character. I haven’t done this much research into building a back story since my producer days. It’s been great getting into that obsessive creative mode.

For me to get into the skin of the character I had to decide what type of character I wanted to play. Did I want to be a killing mercenary? Did I want to be a trader? I knew I wanted to be an explorer. I’m not really a combat kind of guy. I saw the game had an element of data running, which fit into my old-school cyberpunk vibe. Knowing that foundation helped in forming my character. That was important because a danger for me is if I’m not sure what type of character I tend to get into a phase where I must get everything. I could get lost in chasing what seems to be the cool and exciting thing without thinking through if what I’m getting will benefit me. Having a plan in place can prevent crazy purchases, which I have seen a lot of players do.

The first thing I knew was I wanted a character that was like me. Let’s be serious; if I was going to roleplay a character, it would be easy if that character had qualities that I had. Something else that became incorporated into the backstory was using real life events to enhance the story. A technique I learned a long time ago in writing was setting up triggers that would keep me focused on the overall goal of a character, story or background. For instance, when I was developing the book Reality Gambit, I laced a lot of minor character names or objects to events that I could relate to feeling and emotions I had at the time. For example, there was a group in the book called the Takagi Turks. The association I got from that was from The Who Quadophenia. I knew a guy in high school (I’m still in contact with him on Facebook) who used to wear a jacket like that from the album. That makes me think of the hidden punk vibe I had at that age. I was kind of straight laced but there was the rebellion that was just below the surface that I used for Julian Sinclair that fueled his unhappiness with society. If I ever strayed in my notes from something Julian would do, those key phrases and events I set up would make me think and make sure what I was writing was something my main character would do.

With the persona I made in Star Citizen, I wanted to have a character that was like a lot of 80s British writers of comic books for DC and Marvel that injected new life into established second or third tier characters. Simply put I wanted to do a radial twist on the usual role playing character, which meant twisting and refining the usual background of the character.

The first thing I did was study what had been put out in the Star Citizen universe. I had a few ideas of what I wanted the character to be, but I had to see how it fit into the world they established. To be honest, I made some mistakes in the beginning. Ultimately those mistakes helped because it made me choose what elements I wanted to keep and then fit them logically into the established world.

Early on I wanted to make a guild and I built a guild that was a complete betrayal of what I wanted to do in the game. I tried writing scenarios that would make logical sense for my thoughts about the guild but the options felt forced. If you have a guy who is based on being a mold breaker, it didn’t make sense he would fit into a corporate mold. The history I made for the character didn’t fit the character or the guild he was establishing. I thought about dissolving the guild and going solo bit I didn’t want that. I liked some of the back history of the guild but not other parts.

One thing I find hard to do, and this goes for any creative person, is throwing away hard worked on concepts. To just jettison things out feels like the time spend developing them was a waste of time. I’ve realized through years of doing this stuff is everything is a building block. There could be a kernel of a good concept in an otherwise bad idea.

The surprise Trump win in the election, and the fact that I witnessed this election in another country, made me think about the box I put myself in with the character. Thinking outside of the box I knew there was a way I could make the backstory and the character work in my eyes. Here’s another thing I try to avoid in setting up these scenarios. Something I don’t like in popular culture shows is the linear relationship between protagonist and antagonist. If you watch shows like Arrow or Supergirl, the hero makes it a point of feeling that the city is theirs so they must protect it. I wanted a sense of heroism with the character but not a possessive “no one else can do this but me” attitude. I wanted a hero aspect in the character but a realistic one, not a comic book one.

The Trump effect meant for me that all plans didn’t have to follow a path, but that shouldn’t detour from the main goal. What had been bugging me the most about the persona I set up was it was serviceable and actually good for someone who was a heavy gamer. I was trying to set up a scenario that would work for the community, not what was best for me. I had a backstory set up where this guy came in, worked hard, then got handed a dream job of a lifetime, did well with that and was rewarded with a promotion and this new wonderful opportunity. What spoke to me and excited me was the subtle hints I built into the scenario that the happy work life might not be real. I built in hints, reminders that the company might not be as friendly and open minded as I set up in the initial backstory.

That left me with the option of starting a new guild with a new backstory or salvaging the backstory I had. I picked the unknown at the time option three.

The backstory I laid out was good but the focus was on the corporation and not the persona. I realized I wanted to know about the character and his motivations, not his resume. I started thinking about what would make someone leave a comfortable job and start from the bottom again. I didn’t want to have it as a ‘protect my city’ answer.

While I was formulating this reconstruction an image from a protest in the past few years burned in my mind. I had been thinking of the image and I desperately wanted to have that image fit with my character. I couldn’t find an easy way of doing it. It was powerful but in the established universe I didn’t see how it could work. In the backstory of the guild, I had a conflict that occurred in an unexplored sector of space. I had some settlers put roots there, a few corporations laid claim to the area, and the company that my character ultimately ended up working for negotiated at treaty between the settlers and the corporations. In the original notes, I hinted at an attack on a space station where negotiations were held. In the original write up, those negotiations elevated the prestige of the company which over the years brought them close to galactic prominence.

I could break down a lot of general psychological issues as to why having this image as a motivating factor would bring emotional substance to the character, but the bigger issue for me was making it fit logically into the lore. No matter what I did, because of the long-time line between incidents in the space station attack and the present day of the character (which was about 100 years) I couldn’t make the timeline work. At this point I can see many people saying just shift it and no one will care. With the amount of writing I’ve done like this in my Hollywood days, I just can’t retcon something without finding a logical way for seemingly conflicting events to work.

What finally broke the code was the side issue that evolved with the President-elect. I saw the election results from another country. It took me some time after returning to the stares to realize Donald Trump was the President-elect. It didn’t seem real. I felt like I did when our division was removed from my last job. It’s disorienting. I wanted to blame my former employer for the loss of my job but finally I had to move on. I wanted to have my character fired from his job, which would force him to become a freelancer. I wanted the photo somehow incorporated into the backstory. I had come up with a name for the woman in the photo, Jacqui Sckylar, who lead a revolt on the colonies in the Banshee system. It was her attack that lead to the treaty being signed. Had I left her story like that it would have been good but I knew what the photo represented. It was of defiance to the system, righteous defiance. I couldn’t have that image represent something negative in the sense of her defiance being wrong. Even though my scenario for my character leaving made some sense in the way I had things constructed at the time, it didn’t sit right in my gut.

I remembered a documentary I saw about Patty Hearst where the theory was Patti was a willing participant in the bank robberies she committed with the Symbionese Liberation Army. The picture of the defiant woman against the police took an interesting twist in my head. By adding an eccentric aunt that was a reporter, adding elements from Patty Hearst’s life and just a pinch of typical TV stuff, I constructed a backstory that felt right for the character.

I would have to say the character’s backstory is a hybrid of the original and new version in equal parts. For me it feels like a full character and the choices made by the character makes sense by the template I’ve established. The new template helped in establishing the construct of the new guild, from its history to its charter and logo. I’ve kept a few bits of information hidden, but there are enough clues, not easy clues, that someone looking for them can see what direction I’m aiming for.

Working on this element of my Star Citizen character has been fun. I could use a lot of creative skills I haven’t used in years and it felt good to work on designing a small section of a universe.

Finally, I want to show the final results of the backstory I established for the guild and my persona’s history. First is the guild history:

History –

On September 5, 2901, Jacqui Sckylar died. Sckylar was the leader of a UEE resistance group. History remembers her for her involvement in the Curiel Corporate War, where several corporations battled for control of newly discovered planets beyond the Banshee system. Hawat Information Conglomerate worked on negotiating a peace settlement between corporations, but Jacqui Sckylar lead a group of paramilitary troops and attacked Bethel station, the neutral station where peace negotiations were held. Many were killed, including Ravi Hawat, CEO of Hawat Information Conglomerate at the time. Jacqui went underground and was captured eight months later. She was tried and convicted of the Bethel Station massacre without offering a defense. Sckylar was held at UEE Penal Satellite 17, known as The Box until her death.

The McFarland Accord, drafted after the attack by new HIC CEO Andre Hawat and ratified by the warring corporations and UEE, ushered in a new era of cooperation and free flow of information between companies and the UEE. The accord lead to the prominence of Hawat Information Conglomerate. By 2940, when the Ravenheart expedition to the areas beyond the Chronos region had been completed, the new CEO of HIC Michelle Hawat was poised to take the company to the next level.

I was the first officer on the HIC Research vessel Antioch, one of the ships that was part of the Ravenheart expedition. When we returned, I was given a hefty expedition compensation package and promotion to Executive Acquisitionist. A meeting with Georgina Cookson, the Number Two of the company who was directly under CEO Michelle Hawat, led to my appointment to the point person for Division 26, the program set up to process, analyze and correlate the value of information from the expedition.

In 2944, my aunt Shailagh Jarrett died. She was a freelance reporter with the Carney-Gibbs Journal. She won the Canegallo Award for Ethics in Journalism fifteen years ago, for a series of articles she wrote about Skylar and the conflict in the Banshee system. The award was created “to honor the journalist of integrity and character who reports with insight and clarity in the face of political or economic pressures and to reward performance that inspires public trust in the media.” I inherited property and journals from my aunt which had some information from those reports that didn’t get into the final draft of the articles. Around the same time there was a shift in power at Hawat. Senior Executive Donald Conway took over the company as CEO after the board gave a vote of non-confidence for Michelle Hawat. I was “relieved” of my contractual obligations with Hawat Information Conglomerate.

I decided to take the basic principles I established with HIC and refine them for PVI. PVI will ensure that knowledge beneficial to achieving interplanetary cooperation in solving intergalactic problems of economic, social and cultural difference is available to all who request. We are collective gathered for support of fellow explorers and information brokers. We will never ask, persuade or demand information you find be exclusively carried by us. We do not control whom you sell or give your information to. We are independent in every way and are merely a gathering of individuals who can use our collective resources for bolder and cooperative endeavors.

Fifteen years prior to working for Hawat Information Conglomerate, I worked several jobs in the field of data reconstruction and acquisition. I learned a lot of my skills from my Aunt Shailagh Jarrett. She was a reporter that worked for the Moran Dunn News Agency in the early days of the company. When I was ten my parents and siblings were killed in a freighter explosion. My aunt took me in and before I knew it I was her apprentice. When I was eleven my aunt quit the agency, supposedly because she felt trapped with one company and felt her talents could be appreciated elsewhere. I think the real reason she left was to spend more time raising me. Whatever her reasons, I learned so much from her about the business of gathering information. Eventually she secured a job with the Carney-Gibbs Journal that she held until her death. When she secured a job with them I knew it was time for me to leave the nest.

I never thought I would become a corporate suit. I liked the freedom and challenges of being independent. I didn’t have to get involved in office politics and any personal conflicts were resolved when I was assigned to another project. Between gigs Aunt Jarrett was always working on a story that I could help with research material.

I started working for Hawat Information Conglomerate as a temporary data acquisitionist. My supervisor at the time was impressed with my work and I was offered a permanent position with the company a year later. Three years on the job, when I was a senior acquisitionist, I was selected for the Ravenheart expedition; a deep space exploration mission stretching past the Chronos system. The chance of working on a long-range mission exploring uncharted territory was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. The seven-year mission revealed a lot of scientific, resource and navigational information and was key, along with the ten other long-range exploration missions at the time, in elevating the prestige of Hawat Information Conglomerate and CEO Michelle Hawat.

When we returned from the mission in 2940, I was given a hefty expedition compensation and promotion to Executive Acquisitionist. I spent a couple of years analyzing the information we obtained on the mission. While the desk job was secure and the compensation and perks were exceptional, I felt confined in my position. I missed the freedom I had when I was freelance, but the pay was. A meeting with Georgina Cookson, the Number Two of the company who was directly under CEO Michelle Hawat, led to my appointment to the point person for Division 26, the program set up to process, analyze and correlate the value of information from the expedition.

In 2942, my aunt Shailagh Jarrett died. We were still close, reminiscing and catching up on events in our lives when we saw each other, but between her system trotting adventures working for the Carney-Gibbs Journal and my seven-year mission, well, we drifted apart. Before she died she was awarded the Canegallo Award for Ethics in Journalism. It was for a series of articles she wrote about Jacqui Skylar and the conflict in the Banshee system. The award was created “to honor the journalist of integrity and character who reports with insight and clarity in the face of political or economic pressures and to reward performance that inspires public trust in the media.”

Many years ago, Jacqui Sckylar was the leader of a UEE resistance group. History remembers her for her involvement in the Curiel Corporate War, where several corporations battled for control of newly discovered planets beyond the Banshee system. Jacqui went underground after the attack she led on the Bethel space station. After a massive hunt by the UEE, she was found, tried and convicted of the Bethel Station massacre. She offered no defense of her actions. Sckylar was held at UEE Penal Satellite 17, known as The Box until her death. My aunt interviewed her for series of articles at the time of Sckylar’s death. Her award was for a new set of articles she did, revisiting the massacre, the trial and incarceration of Jacqui Sckylar.

I inherited property and journals from my aunt which had some information from those reports that didn’t get into the final draft of the articles. Around the same time my aunt died, there was a shift in power at Hawat. Senior Executive Donald Conway took over the company as CEO after the board gave a vote of non-confidence for Michelle Hawat. I was “relieved” of my contractual obligations with Hawat Information Conglomerate in a company purge.

Thankfully, my involuntary retirement was at a time when I needed a shakeup in my life. Being free of corporate obligations will allow me to follow in my aunt’s footsteps. With the skills I have learned from her and years of freelance and corporate training, working to establish a gateway for independent explorers and information brokers get fair compensation for their services as well as not being restricted in whom they can see information to will be liberating. It can afford a freedom of information many haven’t seen in some time.

Now post the other articles they wrote about Star Citizen.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This thread is pretty bad, but not as bad as doxxing, despite many posters' efforts.

I hope CIG's next stretch goal is to actually do something interesting because holy poo poo this thread needs something to talk about.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Wuxi posted:

Anime is good

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

XK posted:

The giant wall of character creation

I'm not gonna lie I like the thought process and everything they went into with making their character, and the character itself isn't bad.

It might be wasted on Star Citizen but at least the setting is so generic it can be slapped into anything else.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"Maliciously incompetent" is a perfect way to put it. I think in the end it doesn't matter; we all agree they deserve whatever is coming to them and regardless of who is actively scamming versus knowingly benefiting from the scam they're all responsible for it.

Of course, before this all goes down I feel like Chris and co getting what's coming to them will be postponed while the idiots get the financial slaughtering their karma seems to demand.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

This thread is pretty bad, but not as bad as doxxing, despite many posters' efforts.

I hope CIG's next stretch goal is to actually do something interesting because holy poo poo this thread needs something to talk about.

I'm sure they'll put out another tech demo video as a thank you for being handed a few more millions for not doing anything. I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything more interesting than that, now that they can coast over the holiday season and have the plaintiffs automatically rationalise it as “no-one works at this time of year anyway.”

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
My biscuits are in the oven and will be ready in about 10 minutes, then they just need a chance to cool before I get pictures and post them in the thread. I took progress pics because I believe in open biscuit development.

I had to go to three drat shops for one of the ingredients, so you fucks had better appreciate them.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

So is the ship sale officially over? If so, how much income did the sales period generate in total?

And given an entirely hypothetical $4 million dollars/month burn rate, how many additional months of development did the sale buy?

Long-time SC sales watchers: do they normally do another sale around Christmas as well?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

In Training posted:

You just did.

"I know you are, but what am I?!"

Next level comeback there, buddy, lmao.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't think you even need to bake, do you? Just post recipes? I mean, I'm lazy as hell but you could probably do it with just small alterations to random reciepies from http://allrecipes.com/
    Release Date Surprise

Ingredients
    1 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  • Whip butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
  • Stir in the confectioners' sugar, cornstarch, and flour.
  • Beat on low for one minute, then on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
  • Drop cookies by spoonfuls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  • Loudly tell everyone in the room that you are going to bake these cookies for 10 minutes. You can do it in just 10 minutes because you've already been preheating the oven for an hour.
  • Insert cookies into oven. Retrieve charred remains in 30-300 minutes.
  • Send them back to be refactored.

See, easy.

Dreams Happen Now
    This sparkling treat is a real crowd pleaser.

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons hot water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups shards of broken glass

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour and glass.
  • Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
  • Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.

Wait, I just thought of another one.

Cryengine 64s

Ingredients
    3/4 cup scalded milk
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm water
    4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
    1/3 cup butter or margarine
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    6 tablespoons milk

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350F.
  • In a medium bowl, stir together the scalded milk, sugar, and salt. Set aside to cool until tepid. If using nutmeg, stir it into the flour, and add 2 cups of the mixture to the milk, and beat until well blended.
  • In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Stir into the milk and flour mixture, then mix in the butter and eggs. Mix in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time. When dough is firm enough, turn it out onto a floured surface, and knead for 3 to 4 minutes. Place into an oiled bowl, cover and allow dough to rise until doubled in bulk. This should take 30 to 45 minutes.
  • On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch in thickness. Cut into circles using a donut cutter, or round cutter. Set aside to rise for 30 to 40 minutes, or until light.
  • Lay rings out on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 18 minutes.
  • Glaze while warm, or just sprinkle with sugar.

• To make the glaze, stir together the confectioners' sugar and 6 tablespoons milk until smooth. Dip warm cookies into glaze, and set aside to cool.
See, the joke is that an oven is a bad tool for making donuts, even if you call them cookies, just like Cryengine is a bad tool for making a vehicle-based MMO.

See, I miss the glory days of Eonwe where there was, like, a whole page of nothing but food recipes like this. Hangon, I promise to post all my grandma's old recipes ITT later tonight (tho none are about cookies, I'm afraid, so I don't quite qualify for that excellent competition).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D1E posted:

So is the ship sale officially over? If so, how much income did the sales period generate in total?

And given an entirely hypothetical $4 million dollars/month burn rate, how many additional months of development did the sale buy?

Long-time SC sales watchers: do they normally do another sale around Christmas as well?

Yeah they usually do another little livestream thing and have another sale later in December I think. I don't know how much more desperate it's possible for them to get though, after putting all those "never again" ships back up on sale and having Ben get out on twitter to tell people BUY NOW THE PRICE IS ONLY GOING UP UP UP!

Fatkraken posted:

My biscuits are in the oven and will be ready in about 10 minutes, then they just need a chance to cool before I get pictures and post them in the thread. I took progress pics because I believe in open biscuit development.

I had to go to three drat shops for one of the ingredients, so you fucks had better appreciate them.

I'm very excited for this new milestone in cookie (:colbert:) development!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

D1E posted:

The computer I'm on sucks too much to open that massive funding document where people obsessively track it by day but I think they pulled in around $7,000,000 for the 9 day sale. Roughly 1.5 - 1.75 months of bills at the current leaked burn rate. And yes they do a Holiday sale every year. November and December usually pull in $5,000,000+ each but they pulled out all the stops for this November by re-releasing the "never to be sold again" ships and doing "new cash discounts" on everything.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mikojan posted:

Marching powder was my favorite poster :(

Yea, TBH I preferred him shouting ineffectually with the Thread Sheriff AV always making whatever self-righteous drivel he posted automatic comedy, even if I didn't read it.

But now...now there's nothing. :(

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

XK posted:

History –

End result:

No-pants space traveller with their wrists rotating slowly in impossible directions, stuck waist-deep in the cargo bay floor, with a fabulously deep backstory.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The computer I'm on sucks too much to open that massive funding document where people obsessively track it by day but I think they pulled in around $7,000,000 for the 9 day sale. Roughly 1.5 - 1.75 months of bills at the current leaked burn rate. And yes they do a Holiday sale every year. November and December usually pull in $5,000,000+ each but they pulled out all the stops for this November by re-releasing the "never to be sold again" ships and doing "new cash discounts" on everything.

They've defied our expectations regarding fatal economic wounds to the point that they really should have called themselves Rasputin Space Industries.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

How are they still throwing so much money at this, it's loving insanity. The funding tracker has got to include store credit, that's the only sensible explanation that doesn't involve some hardcore mental illness.

It's approaching the budget for GTA V (including marketing). That took 4 years to hit the last generation of consoles (a big achievement in itself given the limitations), then came out on the next gen hardware a year later with major new features, then a year after that on PC.

In the same time it took Rockstar to develop and launch one of the biggest and most detailed games ever on two console generations Star Citizen has managed: a hanger where you can walk around looking at ships, a buggy arena shooter which crashes if you fire too many missiles, and an incomplete solar system with a few stations, rote missions and clothes shopping.

Iglocska posted:

Holy crap, some people on reddit defending Star Citizen are just utterly dim...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamesWatchdog/comments/5eufpp/the_curious_case_of_star_citizen/dairiof/?context=3

This person is an idiot. Their argument is "there never was a release date".

Even if you ignore the specific years they gave for release, this is not a good thing. A project without a deadline is one that will never be finished.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

alphabettitouretti posted:

How are they still throwing so much money at this, it's loving insanity. The funding tracker has got to include store credit, that's the only sensible explanation that doesn't involve some hardcore mental illness.

The funding tracker has been shown to be completely bogus before already. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if by this point they don't just automatically spruce up that graph whenever an event happens, whether it's true or not, and try to weakly rationalize the fraud to themselves privately.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Star Citizen: We may or may not get something, eventually

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
please don't take the last however many days of horrible thread activity as an excuse to make it even worse by making GBS threads recipes into it too. please just don't

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

XK posted:

History –

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You know, at some point some dude is going to literally die while waiting for Star Citizen to come out, and as sad as that is, at least maybe it'll shut up the "Who cares how long it takes" crowd for a day or two...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Please don't emptyquote giant insane text walls that aren't Stimpire.txt tia

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

starkebn posted:

please don't take the last however many days of horrible thread activity as an excuse to make it even worse by making GBS threads recipes into it too. please just don't

You just don't understand thread development. Some refactoring must take place! :colbert:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

You know, at some point some dude is going to literally die while waiting for Star Citizen to come out, and as sad as that is, at least maybe it'll shut up the "Who cares how long it takes" crowd for a day or two...

Game is over two years late, people have died waiting for it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Game is over two years late, people have died waiting for it.

Yeah but I mean like someone that people will notice. Nobody gives a poo poo how many fat autists have given in to heart failure while waiting for this game to come out. At some point there's going to be like a sick kid whose only wish is to see Star Citizen before he goes or something, and Croberts is going to have to quietly send him an email telling him to maybe ask the Make-A-Wish people for something else.

:( I made myself sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah but I mean like someone that people will notice. Nobody gives a poo poo how many fat autists have given in to heart failure while waiting for this game to come out. At some point there's going to be like a sick kid whose only wish is to see Star Citizen before he goes or something, and Croberts is going to have to quietly send him an email telling him to maybe ask the Make-A-Wish people for something else.

No, Croberts would send him a mail saying "how much you have to live? 6 months? lucky for you 3.0 will be out in 4 months, you should get one of those ships with a hot tub so you can rest your cancer ridden body, some cancer backers have reported that Star Citizen is better chemo than some triple AAA treatments".

• Locked thread