Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The question isn't whether Ohio State will get into the playoff. It is whether Ohio State and Penn State both get into the playoff if Penn State wins. Wisconsin will not go to the playoff even if they win unless there are big upsets elsewhere. I cannot see Ohio State going to the playoff instead of Penn State if Penn State wins decisively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Komet posted:

The question isn't whether Ohio State will get into the playoff. It is whether Ohio State and Penn State both get into the playoff if Penn State wins. Wisconsin will not go to the playoff even if they win unless there are big upsets elsewhere. I cannot see Ohio State going to the playoff instead of Penn State if Penn State wins decisively.

If PSU pulls an OSU in the 2014 conference title game, yeah, it would be hard to see PSU being left out. I don't think PSU is built for that and Wisconsin's defense is too good for that to happen, but anything is possible, Xort be praised.

Honestly, I'm not going to be upset if OSU is left out. When you lose a game, you really can't complain about what happens next. I will be sad about missing out on people complaining about OSU, though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

let OSU in but only on the condition they renounce their 2014 championship as unjust since TCU should've gotten in over them by this year's criteria

alternatively send psu, osu and michigan so no one's feelings are hurt in the big 10, home of champions*

*in michigan's case, one shared championship in the last 65 years

This year's OSU team has beaten much better teams than that TCU team did

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 29, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Komet posted:

This is the one scenario where I'd be less angry about Ohio State getting in because then they're just loving over their own conference instead of another one.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

so the goal is not, in fact, to pick the best four teams. a bold strategy.

I guess you're going to argue the eye test?

Arguing logic with a Bama fan is already a Sisyphean task, but I'll try again since I hate myself and everyone else.

If you aren't the best team in your division, you cannot be the best team in the country. I said in 2011 and I'll say it again.

No, Ohio State should not make it into the playoffs over a team that wins its conference. This isn't loving rocket science.

I'm not saying Ohio State isn't a great team. They just don't belong there over their conference or division champ.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think there's a pretty easy argument to make that they're still the best team in their division/conference when you look at the season as a whole

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

You can make a much stronger argument that an 11-2 Penn State deserves to get in over an 11-2 Wisconsin, given that Wisconsin did lose to Ohio State. That's why I think OSU gets the playoff nod with a Wisconsin win, and Wisconsin gets the Rose Bowl.

I'm not sure if Penn State can beat Wisconsin, but they have defied every expectation so far. They are banged up on the O line, but match Wisconsin well in every area. Every team that stacks 8 in the box to stop Barkley gets crushed by the deep ball. There are a lot of crazy stats about our second half offense and defense.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I think there's a pretty easy argument to make that they're still the best team in their division/conference when you look at the season as a whole

I'm firmly in the Conference Champions Only camp.

Sometimes really good teams lose games and their shot at titles. It happens--but subjectively overriding the results on the field is really dumb.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ohio State is a top 4 team this year and thus should make the playoffs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I'm firmly in the Conference Champions Only camp.

Sometimes really good teams lose games and their shot at titles. It happens--but subjectively overriding the results on the field is really dumb.

assuming a team is better because of one game also seems dumb to me. is penn state worse than Pitt? Or for that matter why is Penn State better than a Michigan team that demolished them?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

MourningView posted:

is penn state worse than Pitt?

Yes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

assuming a team is better because of one game also seems dumb to me. is penn state worse than Pitt? Or for that matter why is Penn State better than a Michigan team that demolished them?

When you extend that out only a single step further you come back to the old system where you just pick who you think is the best team after the Bowl games.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Why have conferences then? Or games? We can go full Meat Market and declare a champion beauty-pageant style. It'll be really great.

Just know that this is the kind of thinking that allows Bama to claim a billion false championships because they felt they were the best team. I figure we can all unite against that.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 29, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Okay, we've gotten body clocks and we've gotten 13th data points. Anybody want to make a guess for the bullshit excuse the committee will make this season for a team?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm a PSU fan who thinks people who use the abbreviation "tOSU" have diseased loving brains, but I agree.

you do realize that oklahoma state is also abbreviated OSU right?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I also think its funny that sending a team that didn't win its division to the BCS NCG is exactly what led to the creation of the CFP and here we are arguing it all over again. Maybe this results in a 6 team playoff with 1 and 2 having byes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wickerman posted:

you do realize that oklahoma state is also abbreviated OSU right?

So does Oregon State. Also did you know that USC can mean either University of South Carolina or University of Southern California?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Basically the system is always going to be a little hosed up and subject to controversy for as long as the playoffs take OOC games into account and conference division titles don't.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

LeeMajors posted:

Why have conferences then? Or games? We can go full Meat Market and declare a champion beauty-pageant style. It'll be really great.

Yes, because there is no justification for OSU.

People keep bringing up OSU and TCU. Different situation. Both teams had 1 loss. Both teams were conference champions - kinda. The committee considered them similar and the conference championship game pushed it in favor of OSU.

Not to mention these criteria, e.g. Conference championship, etc are used to distinguish between similar teams. And per Heather Dinich for whatever her name is, a committee member said last week that the committee does not consider OSU and PSU to be similar or close. And that was before OSU beat Michigan.

If you want to consider these criteria, PSU has a head to head win, but two losses while OSU has 1. OSU has a much stronger resume, going 3-1 vs the top ten, with two of those wins on the road, and another win on top of that vs a top 25 team. I have no doubt the game control metrics also favor OSU.

There is no hand waving or beauty contest here. If OSU gets in over PSU there's justification for it. Just as there would be if PSU gets in.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

swickles posted:

So does Oregon State. Also did you know that USC can mean either University of South Carolina or University of Southern California?

I stand by my assertion that South Carolina should use SCAR because it's badass, like the protagonist of Final Fantasy VIII

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

swickles posted:

you are a very wise man

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol that the playoff committee tried to come up with a bullshit excuse for a team getting all whupped up by a 10-win northwestern team with a really good defense and a quarterback no one had figured out completely sucked yet

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ohio State is a top 4 team this year and thus should make the playoffs

*exasperated sigh*

look dude, how are you going to be the best team in the country if you can't win your conference. this isn't rocket science. futhermore,

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol that the playoff committee tried to come up with a bullshit excuse for a team getting all whupped up by a 10-win northwestern team with a really good defense and a quarterback no one had figured out completely sucked yet

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ohio State should get in because Penn State really ruined that weekend for them, and nobody wants that to follow them around.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Ohio State should get in because Penn State really ruined that weekend for them, and nobody wants that to follow them around.

JoePa wouldn't have ruined Urbz's Saturday, that's for sure.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You are all forgetting the most important data point: gently caress ohio state

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Scionix posted:

*exasperated sigh*

look dude, how are you going to be the best team in the country if you can't win your conference. this isn't rocket science. futhermore,

So you don't claim the 2012 title, right?

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!

Scionix posted:

*exasperated sigh*

Dunno but it seems to happen in every other sports league all the time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

So you don't claim the 2012 title, right?

He's making fun of my argument by repeating its correctness.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

When you extend that out only a single step further you come back to the old system where you just pick who you think is the best team after the Bowl games.

Stick in the mud Big 10 fan who only wants to go to the Rose Bowl has backwards opinions about college football, news at 11.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Look, the simple fact is that the Browns are so bad that some of that has to leak over to Ohio State, like a pox.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

Take the best four conference champions. Let the conferences reassess how they crown their champion if they're getting sub optimal outcomes.

OK but that also leads to suboptimal outcomes for us, the watching public which is not cool

I feel like almost everyone can agree a foursome of Alabama, Ohio State, Washington, and Clemson would be the most fun and exciting playoff combo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeah but I also don't think the Big ten is very good overall.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001

Sash! posted:

You are all forgetting the most important data point: gently caress ohio state

Really? More than Penn State? :|

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

He's making fun of my argument by repeating its correctness.

Except your argument completely discounts the entire season for a championship game that is for the most part meaningless, especially if half the conference is garbage and the other half is stacked.

As much as I hate Ohio State, they are better than whomever wins the Big Ten. If Florida magically beats Alabama on Saturday, Florida's garbage rear end doesn't just leap into the playoffs because they had one good game. Alabama still goes to the playoffs because they are still a better team.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Except your argument completely discounts the entire season for a championship game that is for the most part meaningless, especially if half the conference is garbage and the other half is stacked.

As much as I hate Ohio State, they are better than whomever wins the Big Ten. If Florida magically beats Alabama on Saturday, Florida's garbage rear end doesn't just leap into the playoffs because they had one good game. Alabama still goes to the playoffs because they are still a better team.

I'm not suggesting UF gets in the insanely impossible where their broken asses beat Bama.

But maybe another one loss conference champ deserves to get in over Bama at that point.

Besides, if UFs garbage team beats Bama they almost certainly don't deserve to be in the playoff. Jesus.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fluffdaddy posted:

If only there were some way to ensure that conference championship games weren't meaningless. Some possible way.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Adun posted:

OK but that also leads to suboptimal outcomes for us, the watching public which is not cool

I feel like almost everyone can agree a foursome of Alabama, Ohio State, Washington, and Clemson would be the most fun and exciting playoff combo

send Oklahoma instead of Ohio state.

also this wouldn't be an issue if the NCAA had banned Penn state from all athletics like they should have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Just think how much fun we could be having here if the BCS still existed and Washington, Clemson, and Penn State all win this weekend.

Edit- I was going to say Florida as well, but that's just taking things too far.

• Locked thread