Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, final four here. You can see the military model of our standard cookie (green sprinkles), the cargo variant (crushed walnuts), the Holiday version (apple pie spice), and our very own brown sea version (hershey's cocoa powder).

These cookies were made with: all purpose flower, powdered sugar, butter, oil, salt, a dead baby chicken, vanilla, baking powder, and goon love. I also used various amounts of walnuts, icing, and sprinkles.

*fake edit* I cannot take a photo of all of them together as I have 3 smaller versions of me that have been eating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kakarot posted:

Are those modular cookies with addons?

I'm afraid I cannot offer that at current funding levels.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, final four here. You can see the military model of our standard cookie (green sprinkles), the cargo variant (crushed walnuts), the Holiday version (apple pie spice), and our very own brown sea version (hershey's cocoa powder).

These cookies were made with: all purpose flower, powdered sugar, butter, oil, salt, a dead baby chicken, vanilla, baking powder, and goon love. I also used various amounts of walnuts, icing, and sprinkles.

*fake edit* I cannot take a photo of all of them together as I have 3 smaller versions of me that have been eating them.

Just Archer the images together.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

lol, if Derek posted a blog I wouldn't read it because it wouldn't have anything that wasn't already posted in this thread in a more concise manner. No, I'm just laughing at the other side of the promise but never deliver coin.

I get that and understand, I just gave you my opinion based on following this crazy story since 2013. Part of the issue I think is that some are understandably frustrated and want an ending, I think the wait will be worth it in the end.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

spacetoaster posted:

An egg is just a chicken menstrual period, not a dead baby chicken. Unless you've been making balut sugar cookies, in which case you're super hardcore.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

OK, I think Ben's just trolling me now. There's no other explanation. :negative:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

I want to take a moment to talk to you guys about cookie paint jobs. This little beauty is an upgraded entry level cookie.

This one is showing off our "electro frosting". A cookie that can change frosting colors as the situation dictates.

This bad boy is our larger model cookie. Notice how it's elongated to fit into your glass of milk with ease (milk will be sold separately)

For those of you with actual friends, you'll want this cookie for sure. It has a detachable, smaller cookie, that you can give to others.

Now I wouldn't be much of a cookie salesman if I didn't offer the "premium" version. So here she is. You'll have so many friends if you buy this one. So many friends.

:lol:

This is great. Very funny! :)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

An egg is just a chicken menstrual period, not a dead baby chicken. Unless you've been making balut sugar cookies, in which case you're super hardcore.

Well, it is dead. And it certainly wasn't some other kind of animal.

Unless the grocery store is lying. :tinfoil:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

I'm in PA, about 45 minutes west of both Philly and NYC. MD is no problem. We could do this.

Works for me. I actually have family near Philly.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

D_Smart posted:

OK, I think Ben's just trolling me now. There's no other explanation. :negative:

What the gently caress is 64 bit world position anyways and how would it differ from say 32 bit "world position"? What does adding bits to "world position" do for a dev/player??

This always seemed like bullshit CIG speak.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

spacetoaster posted:

Well, it is dead. And it certainly wasn't some other kind of animal.

Unless the grocery store is lying. :tinfoil:

I think he's getting at the fact that the egg hasn't and cannot ever form the distinct parts that would make a "chicken." Eggs you buy in stores generally aren't fertilized and so won't ever be anything other than a mass of goop (until you make cookies out of them).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Charles Get-Out posted:

I think he's getting at the fact that the egg hasn't and cannot ever form the distinct parts that would make a "chicken." Eggs you buy in stores generally aren't fertilized and so won't ever be anything other than a mass of goop (until you make cookies out of them).

Well yes, but saying you used "a dead baby chicken" is funnier, in my mind, than saying all that other stuff.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Solarin posted:

Oh my god, Boo is Wolf Larson. Got the exact same douche chills from that reddit post as the one Wolf made about the INN embarrassment

Would not surprise me in the least. Though I still think the account rotates between multiple people.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thank you, friend. Nobody should talk to people like that. Especially over a video game. That's just plain silly and he should feel shame and embarrassment for acting like that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Charles Get-Out posted:

What the gently caress is 64 bit world position anyways and how would it differ from say 32 bit "world position"? What does adding bits to "world position" do for a dev/player??

Ideally, it means you can use the same coordinate system for a far (roughly one billion times) bigger “world” without having to section it into smaller grids with their own origos/anchor points. It could simplify interactions over very long distances that would otherwise have to use some kind of intermediary to communicate and translate that interaction between the the two locations, and it should theoretically simplify the mathematics and object transformations done in that large world.

In practice, it usually just makes everything slower and still requires you to translate from one coordinate system to another as soon as you want to feed it through a rendering pipeline, or similar hardware acceleration that will be optimised for 32-bit data, and get it to show up on-screen.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Charles Get-Out posted:

This always seemed like bullshit CIG speak.

64 bit world position would, i take it, mean that x, y and z are expressed as a long integer (i.e. have a range from -(2^63) to 2^63).
And, in a sense, saying a world size is 64 bit is exactly the same thing - the box describing the world is quantized into 2^64 * 2^64 * 2^64 little chunks.

The problem with all of this is that the position is usually a floating point number, not an integer, for various reasons - so coordinates are NOT a range from -(2^63) to 2^63, but rather a double-precision floating point. They consist of 1 sign bit, 11 bits of exponent, and a 52 bit fraction (mantissa). In this case, the world can actually be of arbitrary size - its *size* is not governed by the bit size of the float at all. Rather, it's the precision that is. This also means that as you increase the size of the world relative to the player character (and cameras, and lights, and other objects), the precision will fall. There are tricks for negating this (generally, you do not require high precision far away from the player character, for example, so you can "fake" the distances), but i wouldn't trust CIG to herd sheeps drawn on a piece of paper, so let's leave those out of the discussion.

Generally, problem with 64 bit *precision* (i.e. double precision floats) is - it's not hardware accelerated, or is very badly hardware accelerated.
This is why it's used sparingly (the issue is compounded by the fact truncating 64 bit precision to 32 bits just makes things worse).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

I wouldn't want to join anyway. If I did, he'd recognize my voice in an instant.

We don't use voice as a standard. In fact, the only time we've ever used voice, is when we were trolling CIG and Shitizens post CitizenCon and the anniversary stream.

Plus, you won't be Greenie (Tier 1 supa-sekret rioters) anyway, only Blue (Tier 2 top-sekret).

You are more than welcome to join (https://discord.gg/0sasVA7SRFEX9raG) and have someone flag your account Blue.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

A preview of our first cookie, the DSNABA Big-Ol' RocketShip

The DSNABA Big-Ol' RocketShip comes standard with a Tyler R23 sugar matrix, containing four TR5 and eight TR3 chip clusters, providing outstanding taste and fidelitous mouthfeel in any
condition the dining room can throw at you. Four additional baked good modifier slots can give you that extra edge in crispness, moisture, or baking time that make the Big-Ol' Rocketship a truly customized eating experience.

:five::five::five:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
This is a good thread

quote:

Level Design:
Art dressing for Echo 11 and Demien is in progress. ETA is 2nd December

Pickups:
ETA is 2nd December

IFCS Missile Guidance:
ETA is 2nd December (was 18th November)

GForces:
This has been added to the scope of 2.6.0
ETA is 2nd December

Network – Bind Culling
Due to some difficult to solve bugs progress has been slowed down on bind culling. This is because it’s proved extremely difficult to reproduce the bugs and find out the cause them.
Progress was also slowed due supporting bug fixes for the Livestream
ETA is 8th December (delayed from 23rd November)

Drake Caterpillar
In Progress, but won’t be properly complete until near our Live date This leaves very little time for QA to test
ETA is 2nd December The ship will then enter testing and bug fixing
Tech Art are still reviewing some requirements for this ship so this date may change

And THEN it has to roll out to the PTU.....

Tell me again how the aim release date to live is still Dec 8th?

(Answer: it is not Dec 8th anymore)

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/359262/so-2-6-on-dec-8th-or-not/p2

Huxley shillin hard

quote:

Is it with the Armadillos yet? Nah. So when they've finished with it we normally have a 3-4 week (minimum) PTU phase before it goes live.

I do not expect 2.6 to go LIVE this year. And I'm actually fine with that.

This chimp is not very logical. None of this is R/D you buffoon.

quote:

This is true, when what you're estimating is estimable.

That is, when its a 'routine' task, or at least something that has been done before, then you can 'know' the majority of the tasks that are likely to need doing, and roughly how long they will take.

However, when you're doing R&D work, the whole point of it is to do something that hasn't been done before. And by definition, that means that you *don't know* what needs to be done, or how long it will take to do.

You can make a best-guess estimate at the likely tasks, and a best-guess estimate at how long they will take - but there is always the likelihood that more tasks will be discovered as you go along, and that some tasks will involve a lot more work than expected.

So no, I don't expect their estimations to get 'better' as time goes on - not until they finish with the R&D work... and when they do they'll probably move onto bugs, which are also non-estimable (at least, the investigation / diagnosis is non-estimable).

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 29, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Green is my favourite colour.

Someone make the thing happen.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Now I wouldn't be much of a cookie salesman if I didn't offer the "premium" version. So here she is. You'll have so many friends if you buy this one. So many friends.

I diversified my bitcoin holdings into ship jpegs.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it is impossible to estimate timeframes as nobody has built a videogame before

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

Haha! Well done! :cheers:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Building a lovely fps using an fps engine is not r/d.

Maybe in the early 90s.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

spacetoaster posted:

Well yes, but saying you used "a dead baby chicken" is funnier, in my mind, than saying all that other stuff.

I agree with your stylistic choices

Tippis posted:

Ideally, it means you can use the same coordinate system for a far (roughly one billion times) bigger “world” without having to section it into smaller grids with their own origos/anchor points. It could simplify interactions over very long distances that would otherwise have to use some kind of intermediary to communicate and translate that interaction between the the two locations, and it should theoretically simplify the mathematics and object transformations done in that large world.

In practice, it usually just makes everything slower and still requires you to translate from one coordinate system to another as soon as you want to feed it through a rendering pipeline, or similar hardware acceleration that will be optimised for 32-bit data, and get it to show up on-screen.

orcinus posted:

64 bit world position would, i take it, mean that x, y and z are expressed as a long integer (i.e. have a range from -(2^63) to 2^63).
And, in a sense, saying a world size is 64 bit is exactly the same thing - the box describing the world is quantized into 2^64 * 2^64 * 2^64 little chunks.

The problem with all of this is that the position is usually a floating point number, not an integer, for various reasons - so coordinates are NOT a range from -(2^63) to 2^63, but rather a double-precision floating point. They consist of 1 sign bit, 11 bits of exponent, and a 52 bit fraction (mantissa). In this case, the world can actually be of arbitrary size - its *size* is not governed by the bit size of the float at all. Rather, it's the precision that is. This also means that as you increase the size of the world relative to the player character (and cameras, and lights, and other objects), the precision will fall. There are tricks for negating this (generally, you do not require high precision far away from the player character, for example, so you can "fake" the distances), but i wouldn't trust CIG to herd sheeps drawn on a piece of paper, so let's leave those out of the discussion.

Generally, problem with 64 bit *precision* (i.e. double precision floats) is - it's not hardware accelerated, or is very badly hardware accelerated.
This is why it's used sparingly (the issue is compounded by the fact truncating 64 bit precision to 32 bits just makes things worse).

What I'm getting out of this is that it is a thing, but CIG is dumb for using it because it has the potential to slow down the game and there are other more tried methods available?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Solarin posted:

Oh my god, Boo is Wolf Larson. Got the exact same douche chills from that reddit post as the one Wolf made about the INN embarrassment

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

spacetoaster posted:

Some of us grew up in farm country. :henget:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

BIGGER

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Charles Get-Out posted:

What I'm getting out of this is that it is a thing, but CIG is dumb for using it because it has the potential to slow down the game and there are other more tried methods available?

Pretty much.

Basically, they blew up the size of their world, and reduced the precision because of it.
This caused a slew of other issues, like broken physics.
So they then half-arsedly increased precision to 64 bits.
Which further broke poo poo and made it slow to boot.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

Some of us grew up in farm country. :henget:

I did, but it was cattle.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

If he has to say this

"You will likely..." with no clue why that is so wrong after $130+ million US dollars and 5 years of development

Chances are he is an idiot

CIG doesn't have anything decided , literally nothing is finalized , in fact they barely even have anything sketched out

One of the first things any successful game of this scale would be doing is base lining what the game will do, how it will play.

They can't even nail down the one thing they're actually good at doing , selling ships. Their now upping the prices and going after cheap tactics like cash only sales

I do not pity a single person who still has money in this , if they keep dumping money well we should all be thinking of more ways to jump on the band wagon and fleece them even more

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

I get that and understand, I just gave you my opinion based on following this crazy story since 2013. Part of the issue I think is that some are understandably frustrated and want an ending, I think the wait will be worth it in the end.

You guys ought to swap the colors in discord so blue balling can come from the blues.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This game was falsely advertised, plain and simple.

There are a large amount of features and content in the game that were advertised and talked about by the developers that were cut in the last few months before release. I could get into the poor PC release but the other reviews cover that just as well.

I will keep playing the game because unfortunately I have been looking forward to what was advertised for the last 2 years and hope that it is brought to that point through FREE updates.

As of right now I believe everyone who bought this game is entitled to a refund with no exceptions, Sony and Hello Games are possibly up for some legal trouble. They are even using trailers on THIS VERY PAGE that have features in them that are not in the final game.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

How are your parents doing? Mine are live and well, as I just saw them this holiday break.

Happy to hear the holidays were lovely, and happy the family was well, but sad to lose a good injoke. :sigh:

Anyway, welcome back (and we need to get you a new avvie. I keep hearing all your posts as Matt Berry in my head)!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Actually doxxing is pretty good, only surpassed by death threats against the innocent family members of CIG employees.

I might have to make a death threat against Ben (4 dozen premium doughnuts maybe?) if he doesn't answer my tweet about the cel question...

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Preparing for the hordes of disappointed Citizens to lay siege to CIG Towers? Wise, very wise. I'd ditch the 10/22, though. Can't see .22 getting the level of penetration you'd need on the average Citizen.

I once terrified a new trainee when I asked him to sell me a rifle. I was looking at 'the one I wanted' when he asked me what I intended to hunt. When I answered 'the most dangerous game of all, people.' He visibly lost a couple of shades of color and proceeded to get our manager.

Long story short, my manager played a long and we went through the whole procedure even though my ASM knew I wasn't going to buy it. We got to the part where the trainee had to call the FBI NICS center when my manager really started to up the game.

'So, your targets gonna be armed too or is this an easy shoot?'

Me 'yeah actually, they get a .22 snub nosed smooth bore revolver with 4 rounds each. I want them to think they have a chance.' At which point the trainee was freaking out. He ran and got our loss prevention guys. When the 3 of them realized we were having a huge joke at the new guys expense, it was all laughs after the new guy called us gently caress wads and said 'I quit. I'm done. You 2 can go gently caress yourselves.' And never returned to the store.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Full disclosure: I've played NMS for like 30 hours and only quit when I found a planet full of flying lampreys.

I might build my base on that planet once I finish Picross.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You keep forgetting that there was a misconception between 64 bit floats being used in a co-ordinate system and 64 bit floats being used for GPU calculations. There was a time where fans thought the engine was going to be so advanced that the rendering was being calculated at 64 bit precision for the highest fidelity. They were even discussing how current 64 bit GPU performance wasn't anything like 32 bit performance. There was also some theory crafting around AMD and Nvidia having to catch up to CIG and produce 64 bit GPUs because it was the future of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

My parents call me. :smugdog:

Same here, often multiple times a day.

• Locked thread