Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Unless you mean non-DX version which I think is in the NAMCO Museum pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I bought a Qanba arcade stick a while ago because I thought I was going to learn how to play SF5 but instead I've pretty much only played Pac Man with it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DX is a sequel so he probably wants original CE

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236470/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Unless you mean non-DX version which I think is in the NAMCO Museum pack.

i meant non dx

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Trolled.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
This is already 30% off on Steam right now. Holy poo poo. Praise Gaben.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bumping this because I just got it and can't find an FAQ or anything for the mechanics. How do I play this correctly? I can't get above a B on anything and I think I'm missing something important.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I guess what I don't get is what determines how the ghosts move. I picked up Championship Edition DX to compare, and the ghosts in that are a lot more predictable. You can pretty much manipulate them into being where you want. I don't feel like I understand the ghosts' movement in CE2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I guess what I don't get is what determines how the ghosts move. I picked up Championship Edition DX to compare, and the ghosts in that are a lot more predictable. You can pretty much manipulate them into being where you want. I don't feel like I understand the ghosts' movement in CE2.

Normal ghosts or when you have a power pellet? Also its hard to find info on this because it was way less popular than the first one, people really didn't like the fact that Pac Man can touch ghosts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Normal ghosts or when you have a power pellet? Also its hard to find info on this because it was way less popular than the first one, people really didn't like the fact that Pac Man can touch ghosts.
Both. Power pellet ghosts appear to just turn randomly whenever they reach an intersection on their guide rails, is that right? I can't figure out how non-pelleted ghosts move, but maybe it's the same, just with invisible rails?

It's stupid that nobody's written a good mechanics guide, this game owns. It's really well-designed and obviously has a lot of depth. I just can't quite figure it out on my own. I can get a B rank just fine, which is basically the "did you manage to run out the timer without dying" rank, but anything higher is out of reach.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Both. Power pellet ghosts appear to just turn randomly whenever they reach an intersection on their guide rails, is that right? I can't figure out how non-pelleted ghosts move, but maybe it's the same, just with invisible rails?

It's stupid that nobody's written a good mechanics guide, this game owns. It's really well-designed and obviously has a lot of depth. I just can't quite figure it out on my own. I can get a B rank just fine, which is basically the "did you manage to run out the timer without dying" rank, but anything higher is out of reach.

Power pellets always turn to the longest path away from you is what it seems, so you have to goad them at intersections and then head them off at a one way lane. Tbh I never got good at the power pellet stage which is what led to me losing my leaderboard spots. Non-pelleted ghosts kinda act like the classic ghosts (Red chases you 1:1, Pink tries to predict your movement and head you off at a pass, Blue is all over the place and Orange waffles around out of range) although idk how much thats true and how much is my own bias towards assuming its how Pac Man ghosts should work.

Heres videos of S ranks on Normal and Extreme if you want to see what is required/some ghost patterns. I would say also if you're starting out to not really bother with single train because its kind of a different game and mildly boring to learn anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNv7KzVIwQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFQwZoC2mJ8

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Definitely learn to use the brake because you can upset the ghosts' patterns super easily with it and juke them out, which is the most fun. Also you can touch the ghosts, dont be afraid to just plow through if you can survive the escape sequence and you have room to maneuver or are about to clear the board, clearing the board completely resets the ghosts location and angry state.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Definitely learn to use the brake because you can upset the ghosts' patterns super easily with it and juke them out, which is the most fun. Also you can touch the ghosts, dont be afraid to just plow through if you can survive the escape sequence and you have room to maneuver or are about to clear the board, clearing the board completely resets the ghosts location and angry state.
Yeah, I've noticed that you can actually make the ghosts more predictable and get them out of your way by making them angry. It basically moves them away from where you need to be, and it seems to make them follow you more directly than run around, although maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't change how they move at all. But I deliberately make them mad sometimes if they're slowing me down or interrupting my path.

So it looks like the big thing is to not deviate from your path at all if you want to get high ranks. I've taken detours to avoid ghosts and then picked the path back up later, and that's probably what's killing my score. In your videos, you basically don't ever get off the path, even to quickly loop around a block or something. I guess I'll have to practice braking to help with that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, even watching people better than me they rarely deviate or skip out on boards (I've done the math and it's not really worth it compared to the time saved). Like 80% of run optimization is beasting the power pellet phase, the top leaderboard guys can clear that poo poo in seconds and move on. Scoring increases basically exponentially so the faster you can clear early boards and increase your speed the faster you can rack up sick points

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah, even watching people better than me they rarely deviate or skip out on boards (I've done the math and it's not really worth it compared to the time saved). Like 80% of run optimization is beasting the power pellet phase, the top leaderboard guys can clear that poo poo in seconds and move on. Scoring increases basically exponentially so the faster you can clear early boards and increase your speed the faster you can rack up sick points
When you say it increases exponentially, do you just mean per-board, or based on total pellets eaten or something? I'm assuming it's not worth skipping pellets in the early stages or else you'd have done it in your video.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

When you say it increases exponentially, do you just mean per-board, or based on total pellets eaten or something? I'm assuming it's not worth skipping pellets in the early stages or else you'd have done it in your video.

It's a combination of pellets (score goes up by 1 per pellet eaten to a max of 500, skipping a board knocks it down 100 points) and speed (you go faster so you get more pellets so you get more ghosts so you go faster etc). You can see it visually in the post-game graph breakdown, most of your score will be the last like 3 or 4 boards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How do you reliably catch the fruit that runs away from you? The fact that it can actually brake and wait for you means you can't just trap it the way you do ghosts.

• Locked thread