Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Any laptop bags you folks would recommend for a 15.6 inch gaming laptop? I'd like to carry some books in it and would prefer a messenger style bag. Are there brands that are better for this? Looking for a sub 40 dollar bag.

The frame of 15.6" gaming laptops typically aren't designed to be transported regularly; you're begging for a broken screen hinge over a year or so

If you find something you like, post it here and I'll add it to the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Any laptop bags you folks would recommend for a 15.6 inch gaming laptop? I'd like to carry some books in it and would prefer a messenger style bag. Are there brands that are better for this? Looking for a sub 40 dollar bag.

Nothing comfortable at that range as far as I've seen

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Eletriarnation posted:

^ I like my Latitude E7270 quite a lot, but 15.6" 720p is a sad thing. Is it much more for the 1080p model? ^

The spec sheet says that it has only one M.2 slot so you'd need to remove the existing SSD or HDD, but you can use either PCIe or SATA SSDs in said slot.

Thanks. I just unscrew the bottom and have a HD visible to replace? Will that void the warranty?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

foutre posted:

I want a chromebook with 4 gb ram, a FHD screen and very long battery life that can run Android apps. Are there any other Cyber Monday deals I should be looking at/other chromebooks, or does this seem solid?

The new Acer CB R 13 has the RAM, display, and battery life you're looking for in a flip design with touchscreen. It can run the Play store in the ChromeOS Beta channel at the moment. It's too new to be found on sale at the moment, but it may be worth it to you for $400. Note that there's one available with 64 GB of local storage for $430.

Doctor Party posted:

What's the general consensus on best chromebook in the 14 inch range? Most important is screen/video quality, processor capability and maintains a relatively cheap cost?

I am loving the asus flipbook I got for $250 from Amazon. Some friends noticed it and asked me if I knew of other chromebooks that had a better screen.

The Acer CB for work is probably the best at 14", and it's very good all-around albeit a more expensive professional CB. Most CBs are at 13.3", and the best ones are the Dell CB 13, HP CB 13, Toshiba CB 2 (2015), and the Lenovo Thinkpad CB 13.

Regarding the Flip, the Acer CB R 11 is basically a slightly bigger version of that. The Acer has an 11.6" HD IPS display, so not a massive upgrade, just an incremental one (you trade size for a bigger display and keyboard, so the tradeoff between the two very similar devices is portability vs. usability.) The Acer CB R 13 I wrote about above is the only other serious "upgrade" in the flip CB category, with a bigger, better display.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I like my Ogio messenger bag. I used to use it regularly to carry stuff around, now it holds my 15.6" Lenovo Y500 easily. The Ogio stuff seems to be above $40, but if you look around you may be able to find something on clearance, eBay, Amazon Warehouse Deals, etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hadlock posted:

The frame of 15.6" gaming laptops typically aren't designed to be transported regularly; you're begging for a broken screen hinge over a year or so

If you find something you like, post it here and I'll add it to the OP

I've had Clevos for years and have traveled for the past 10 years for work. The 17" hinge needed to be repaired after 2 years, but the two 15" laptops have been fine. I've had my current one for four years and counting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Iron Rose posted:

buy a samsung 850 evo or sandisk x400, not that overpriced WD drive

The X400 and the WD Blue are almost chip-for-chip the same drive (because WD owns Sandisk now). The X400 has a better warranty, though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hakarne posted:

Thanks. I just unscrew the bottom and have a HD visible to replace? Will that void the warranty?

I don't see how it would, mine doesn't have a seal on the bottom or anything and the SSD is only held in place by one screw. I don't know about that specific model but on both of the ones I've had, E7270 and E6230, you just unscrew the main panel on the bottom and that gives you easy access to virtually all the internal components. Compared to my work laptop, the 13" Haswell MBP, the E7270 is a bit thicker but not any heavier and I like being able to upgrade things.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't see how it would, mine doesn't have a seal on the bottom or anything and the SSD is only held in place by one screw. I don't know about that specific model but on both of the ones I've had, E7270 and E6230, you just unscrew the main panel on the bottom and that gives you easy access to virtually all the internal components. Compared to my work laptop, the 13" Haswell MBP, the E7270 is a bit thicker but not any heavier and I like being able to upgrade things.

Thanks. I'm totally comfortable building a desktop but I have a (probably irrational) fear of messing around with laptops.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Yes but you can get an even better deal on eBay, just choose a seller with over 1000 transactions and ~99.8% positive feedback and you'll be fine. Keep an eye out for the IPS screen of course.

Thanks. Actually thinking about this is there any reason not to go with an X220? I don't really care about IPS or SSD; all this thing has to do is Quickbooks and emails, and it's going to spend most of its time at home. Looks like 220s are down around $220-230. And is there any benefit to authorized refurbishes or is a top rated seller just as good?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hey, looking for a laptop for my dad. I've looked a bit around but haven't really found anything.

Must have :
17"
Windows (at least installable)

Should have:
Full-HD screen
Haswell / Skylake (or AMD equivalent)

Would be nice:
i5
8GB Ram
small SSD

I'm looking in a range of 700-800€, with 900€ being a hard limit.

I found a couple of HP laptops (are they still garbage?) and a couple of B and Z Lenovos (I know they're garbage but how much exactly?), current favorite being this HP 470 G3 X0N86ES (sorry for the moonlanguage, specs are way down)

The laptop is probably going to be used for Browsing / Outlook so no graphics card required.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Looking to get a laptop for grad school. interested in the 2 in 1 "convertible" variety. Started shopping for it for Black Friday/Cyber Monday particularly the Yoga 900 ( Cause of the Iris 540 mostly ) but, some of the reviews shortly afterwards makes me kinda happy to miss it.

Just looking for suggestions for a suitable discrete 2 in 1 that people have had hands on experiences with (good and bad)

I dont need it to run competitive games just old games like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age to play when trying to kill some time/loosen up.

tia

ily

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
I need advice on a laptop for my brother.

He is a sheet metal fabricator and he wants a laptop for general office tasks and also for Auto CAD. It needs to be competent at computing, but also robust enough to last being manhandled. I would rather the machine be slower and sturdier than faster and more delicate.

He is looking at a Lenovo P50, which looks like a screaming machine, but I'm not familiar with Thinkpad build quality since IBM stopped making them. Would a T560 with intgrated graphics handle CAD work?

Thanks in advance.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Gophermaster posted:

He is a sheet metal fabricator and he wants a laptop for general office tasks and also for Auto CAD. It needs to be competent at computing, but also robust enough to last being manhandled. I would rather the machine be slower and sturdier than faster and more delicate.

He is looking at a Lenovo P50, which looks like a screaming machine, but I'm not familiar with Thinkpad build quality since IBM stopped making them. Would a T560 with intgrated graphics handle CAD work?

Thanks in advance.

The P-series is the new name for the W-series and has the classic Thinkpad build quality, same as the T-series.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Gophermaster posted:

Thanks in advance.

I'm not that familiar with AutoCAD but I'd think it would be valuable to have a quad-core processor like the ones in theP50 or T460p. I'm not seeing an option to get that in the T560 though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Thanks. Actually thinking about this is there any reason not to go with an X220? I don't really care about IPS or SSD; all this thing has to do is Quickbooks and emails, and it's going to spend most of its time at home. Looks like 220s are down around $220-230. And is there any benefit to authorized refurbishes or is a top rated seller just as good?

220 would be fine, but be aware they have the "classic" Thinkpad keyboard which is quite different. It's still a great keyboard but that's the biggest difference. A close second it's that Sandy Bridge CPUs are nowhere near as good of battery life, and the battery that comes with it will be another year older.

Haven't had any complaints in this thread in several years about buying from highly rated eBay sellers. My typical advice is find a seller with at least 1000 transactions in the last year and 99.8 or higher feedback. They fight to keep their feedback rating that high and typically will bend over backwards for you to keep it.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

pr0zac posted:

The P-series is the new name for the W-series and has the classic Thinkpad build quality, same as the T-series.

Good to know, thanks.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Eletriarnation posted:

The spec sheet says that it has only one M.2 slot so you'd need to remove the existing SSD or HDD, but you can use either PCIe or SATA SSDs in said slot.

My laptop fu is nonexistent. So even if I pull out the optical drive which leaves a bay open, I can't throw a 2nd SSD in there? Is there anything else I can do with that space other than drop the weight by taking out the DVD? Secret contraband smuggling compartment?

vvv Edit: makes sense, but then what does the "only one M.2 slot" comment mean? If I have the DVD drive on this laptop and replace it with something like this caddy, is there still something preventing me from throwing an SSD in there?

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 29, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Araganzar posted:

My laptop fu is nonexistent. So even if I pull out the optical drive which leaves a bay open, I can't throw a 2nd SSD in there? Is there anything else I can do with that space other than drop the weight by taking out the DVD? Secret contraband smuggling compartment?

You can do this with a Thinkpad, it's called an ultrabay I believe. If that's still a thing. Check for adapters on eBay. Typically you can swap in a second battery or hard drive with the correct caddy. You just need to save the faceplate from the optical drive as the drive itself is a standard form factor

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day
Hey y'all, my partner's looking for a laptop that's cheap, light, and has a decent battery. She will mostly use it for browsing the internet, Netflix, and getting work done. I checked some of the recommendations in the OP and they seem pretty out of date. Ideally not a Chromebook. I have an old Asus Eee PC netbook and basically something like that, but with moderner parts. Any recommendations for something that handles the basics well, can stream without stuttering, and comes in at ~$300 or under? Refurbs ok if from a trustworthy source. Thanks!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Actually a Chromebook sounds ideal for that sort of usage

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Machinegun Arm! posted:

I checked some of the recommendations in the OP and they seem pretty out of date. Ideally not a Chromebook.

What part of, literally the first sentence of the OP, "Updated: August 16, 2016" seems out of date?

If your friend doesn't want a chromebook (though as the other person said, that's what they should get) then the OP recommendation of a refurb x230 sounds very reasonable and in your price range. Which is also in the OP and was recommended just a few posts up from yours for basically the same use case.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm not that familiar with AutoCAD but I'd think it would be valuable to have a quad-core processor like the ones in theP50 or T460p. I'm not seeing an option to get that in the T560 though.

A real quad core will be a plus, and if he's doing any 3d work a workstation gpu will also benefit him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hadlock posted:

What part of, literally the first sentence of the OP, "Updated: August 16, 2016" seems out of date?

The "above this line, updated May 2015" and the recommendations for only previous generation of thinkpads (the current gen is x60, not x50) made me assume that most of the recommendations are out of date as well.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I was looking to get something like this Acer Aspire E previously, but I don't know if anything has come out more recently in the same price/spec range that is a better option or not. I'm not tied to any particular company, just whatever would be the best option/deal.

My average use case would be general Internet stuff, as well as some light to mid level gaming (nothing super recent), and potentially some light content creation stuff like video editing. Since I'm not very well informed when it comes to the laptop market, I'd greatly appreciate any real advice.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I was going to post along the lines of "you're looking for the usability and price of a Chromebook, so why don't you want one?" but I decided I was tired of repeating that to various posters over and over again. I'm happy I'm not the only one who feels comfortable recommending Chromebooks, though!

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Hey y'all, my partner's looking for a laptop that's cheap, light, and has a decent battery. She will mostly use it for browsing the internet, Netflix, and getting work done. I checked some of the recommendations in the OP and they seem pretty out of date. Ideally not a Chromebook. I have an old Asus Eee PC netbook and basically something like that, but with moderner parts. Any recommendations for something that handles the basics well, can stream without stuttering, and comes in at ~$300 or under? Refurbs ok if from a trustworthy source. Thanks!

So yeah, $300 or less will get you an old and/or crappy Windows machine, even refurbished. $300 is a really low bar, even for Windows machines. But as far as Web browsing, office, and multimedia go, that's exactly where CBs excel, particularly at the <$300 price range. There's something like the HP Stream 11 (or the similar 14" version) but they're by no means "good" machines; they'll do what you're asking, but sluggishly (the CPU is underpowered for Windows, the 4 GB is a bare minimum, the display is poor, and the internal storage is OK for a CB, but nowhere near acceptable for Windows.) If that's the kind of mediocre experience you're looking for, by all means go for it. For clarification, I have a previous-generation Stream laptop but I never use it, because everything it can do my CBs can do better, and it can't do anything I use Windows for (e.g. gaming, multimedia transcoding, etc.)

So why, may I ask, are you "ideally" not looking for a CB?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If the Thinkpad 13 had metal hinges it would be the perfect little chromebook.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Machinegun Arm! posted:

I have an old Asus Eee PC netbook and basically something like that, but with moderner parts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234034&cm_re=e200ha-_-34-234-034-_-Product is exactly what you are describing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Calidus posted:

If the Thinkpad 13 had metal hinges it would be the perfect little chromebook.

The screen is supposedly very dim which is a bummer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Got a shiny new MSI from Newegg on Black Friday. Booted it up to check hardware, register warranty, and fingerprint windows.

Downloaded the Warranty App from MSI via their OEM popup.

Was a zipped .exe.

Tried to open .zip. Unregistered Winzip comes up.

Open .zip via Explorer. Extract .exe. .Exe vanishes.

I don't know which of these assholes to pin this on, but this whole thing is a joke.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, that's basically Asus' version of the HP Stream 11 that I linked, only with a slightly better CPU. I still wouldn't recommend an Atom, 2 GB RAM, and 32 GB storage Windows system to anybody as "good for the money."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Got a shiny new MSI from Newegg on Black Friday. Booted it up to check hardware, register warranty, and fingerprint windows.

Downloaded the Warranty App from MSI via their OEM popup.

Was a zipped .exe.

Tried to open .zip. Unregistered Winzip comes up.

Open .zip via Explorer. Extract .exe. .Exe vanishes.

I don't know which of these assholes to pin this on, but this whole thing is a joke.

Always do a clean install of a pc out of the store.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Truga posted:

Always do a clean install of a pc out of the store.

Well, yeah, but this was pretty much just a DOA check as I won't have time to reimage until next week.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, that's basically Asus' version of the HP Stream 11 that I linked, only with a slightly better CPU. I still wouldn't recommend an Atom, 2 GB RAM, and 32 GB storage Windows system to anybody as "good for the money."

Yeah, I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't know it will be adequate. I got my mom one (an X205TA, actually - the Bay Trail version of the same) because she likes reading books on a laptop, and it has all the storage and speed you'd ever need to display text. I would recommend it if someone asked "what's the cheapest thing I can get that runs Windows and would be good just for taking notes on", since I got a single-core Atom system for that purpose back when they were relevant and was very happy with it. However, these days Chromebooks have taken most of their use case away.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I want to get something I can mostly use as a tablet, but has a keyboard I can use to type with if needed. I have a laptop, but it's getting old, and I have a Chromebook I've been using to bring to meetings to take notes, but I think I'd like to shrink this down to one device.

It would be used for internet browsing, Netflix, some light word processing, maybe a few spreadsheets (Google docs mostly). I have a desktop for anything more complicated.

I like the x1 tablet, but is on the expensive end, pixel c might work, but is on the expensive end as well. Maybe a Thinkpad 10 or an IdeaPad (Miix 310?)

Any speculation if there will be a surface 4/5 non pro?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What would a Surface 4 be that the base model Surface Pro 4 already isn't?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any speculation if there will be a surface 4/5 non pro?

Surface 3 uses Cherry Trail Atoms already, which are the newest budget tablet processors Intel makes in that power bracket. The newer Apollo Lake series exists but the lowest power usage processors have a TDP of 6W, which while it's somewhat apples:oranges is substantially higher than the 2W SDP of Cherry Trail and more similar to the Core m3/m5/m7 models used in the Surface Pro 4. Until and unless another series of low-power Atoms hits it's unclear what Microsoft would put in a hypothetical Surface 4 non-Pro.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does ChromeOS have much trouble playing media off a network filesystem? The only things I use my Surface 3 (nonpro) for at this point are browsing the net/Youtube and watching pornvideos off my NAS; my drawing attempts using it are long abandoned, and that thing is slower than molasses even at just browsing, with a garbage battery life to boot (admittedly I'm never far from a charger, but still), so I'm looking to replace it.

Do any Chromebooks have tablet formfactors/touchscreen like that Lenovo Yoga thing, or is that out of spec at the Chromebook level?

(e) Now that I think about it since I'm running a Plex server I could just use the web interface on any chromebook to get to my content, huh. Question still stands anyway, I suppose

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 3, 2016

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I just purchased an Asus FX502VM on Sunday arrived on Wed. The laptop for the most part is great, save for the touchpad. It's extremely wonky. This is the first time I've been using Windows 10 for an extended period, the drivers are stock Microsoft drivers for the touchpad. Currently I was having trouble calibrating the touch scroll, and now I cannot right click. I've been on the phone with Asus tech support to figure out a solution but for some reason this laptop model doesn't have it's own Asus drivers. Is there a third party set of drivers I can look into? I Googled to see about the right click not working and thought it was a Tablet mode problem and as soon as I changed the setting on that to just be desktop mode only since this model isn't a touchscreen it temporarily solved the issue but went right back to not being able to right click in any window or just on the desktop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 3, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just return it for a new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So I put a 1080p screen and the three button touchpad on my T440p. Are there any other mods/upgrades I should look into?

PS: Without the three-button touchpad, I think this sucker would make me lose my mind. gently caress the no button touchpad, seriously. Can't believe they thought that was a good idea.