Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
downout
Jul 6, 2009

So I kind of wanted to do a more complete eval of the playoff chances between PSU and OSU than just guessing. So I checked the committee's doc on it here.

Playoff Committee posted:

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must
be considered:
 Championships won
 Strength of schedule
 Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)
 Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)
Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically
applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar;

This is where it gets tricky. Would the committee consider PSU to look similar to OSU with a B1G champ game win? If just considering records against bowl-eligible teams, then no. PSU would have 7 wins over bowl-eligible teams and OSU would have 8. (I didn't double check these, but I think this is right math.)

Let's assume that they do, then the criteria above would be used. I think this is where it turns into a complete mess for the committee because everything cancels out.

PSU
Conf. Champ +1
Head-to-Head +1

OSU
Common Opp UM +1
SOS (2) +1

Going back to records being the ultimate comparison, I would guess the committee gives it to OSU over PSU due to final W/L record based on opponent quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
If Penn State had the same record as Ohio State I would understand completely them jumping up. It boggles my mind how college football fans can prioritize conference record over overall record. It's certainly not the norm in sports so I don't know if most of you just don't watch other sports leagues.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Psu winning against wisco and getting snubbed by osu would cause a lot of problems in central pa.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
good

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

Psu winning against wisco and getting snubbed by osu would cause a lot of problems in central pa.

it'd ruin a lot of weekends, you mean?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you guys still hung up on that Sandusky thing?

Well I guess that's fair. It was pretty bad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

People are hung up on the sandusky thing both because it was a sickening crime and because the PSU fanbase is still such a loving cult for Paterno that they still refuse to believe he did any wrong.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

Same difference, tbh.

WHAT THE gently caress

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

If Penn State had the same record as Ohio State I would understand completely them jumping up. It boggles my mind how college football fans can prioritize conference record over overall record. It's certainly not the norm in sports so I don't know if most of you just don't watch other sports leagues.

If they had the same number of losses with one more win over a bowl-eligible team, then I bet the committee puts them over OSU. Not this time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

People are hung up on the sandusky thing both because it was a sickening crime and because the PSU fanbase is still such a loving cult for Paterno that they still refuse to believe he did any wrong.

they literally had a Joe Paterno appreciation day this season

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

YESSSSSSSSSS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

they literally had a Joe Paterno appreciation day this season

oh god i almost forgot about that

it's like they're in a constant battle with baylor to see who can be more tone-deaf

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

DJExile posted:

oh god i almost forgot about that

it's like they're in a constant battle with baylor to see who can be more tone-deaf

Penn State has a 20 year head start.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Regnevelc posted:

Penn State has a 20 year head start.

What's the tone of rhythmic slapping

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat i really teed that up

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Like a fuckin' metronome

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

That's a reminder that getting to play games against Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan State probably did a lot to help those other three teams look pretty awesome. The only Big Ten wins that those four teams had other than between themselves were Indiana and Maryland over Purdue.

Proof of the lovely team rule. Big XII needs to add 2 cupcakes to get their perception back.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

My take away is that Pitt is the best team in Pennsylvania.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Most people are fans of teams where a conference championship is the only realistic goal in a given year. Non-conference games might as well be pre-season.

It's pretty silly when talking about the playoffs, but I doubt the committee will be overlooking Penn State's "other" loss and they're the only people whose opinions matter.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PrinceRandom posted:

They're tied with Ohio State in top 10 wins so yes.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Alabama

Western Michigan

Pitt
Ohio State

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

PrinceRandom posted:

Somebody forgettin' about the Owls!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The students at psu are jerks . And dumb. And from New Jersey.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Nards Pan posted:

Somebody forgettin' about the Owls!

Lost to Penn State

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Justin Fuente wins ACC Coach of the Year.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

downout posted:

So I kind of wanted to do a more complete eval of the playoff chances between PSU and OSU than just guessing. So I checked the committee's doc on it here.

This is where it gets tricky. Would the committee consider PSU to look similar to OSU with a B1G champ game win? If just considering records against bowl-eligible teams, then no. PSU would have 7 wins over bowl-eligible teams and OSU would have 8. (I didn't double check these, but I think this is right math.)

Let's assume that they do, then the criteria above would be used. I think this is where it turns into a complete mess for the committee because everything cancels out.

PSU
Conf. Champ +1
Head-to-Head +1

OSU
Common Opp UM +1
SOS (2) +1

Going back to records being the ultimate comparison, I would guess the committee gives it to OSU over PSU due to final W/L record based on opponent quality.

I think OSU is definitely in, the question is whether their decision to put OSU in is going to impact their thoughts on putting the 2-loss Big Ten champ in. So for example is PSU going to be evaluated vs. Washington straight up, or are they going to play games as far as deciding whether PSU needs to be in because they let OSU in, or maybe PSU needs to be out because they already have a Big Ten team in.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable.....

The thing is, a committee member was quoted last week saying that the committee did not think Ohio State and Penn State are comparable and that the gap was significant...and that was before Ohio State beat Michigan.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think OSU is definitely in, the question is whether their decision to put OSU in is going to impact their thoughts on putting the 2-loss Big Ten champ in. So for example is PSU going to be evaluated vs. Washington straight up, or are they going to play games as far as deciding whether PSU needs to be in because they let OSU in, or maybe PSU needs to be out because they already have a Big Ten team in.

I think we'll know a lot more after tonight since there are only a handful of games next weekend so we'll be able to see things like where they slot FSU (which would give a top ten win to Clemson), where Clemson and Washington are compared to Michigan, and stuff like that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the big ten is composed of a bunch of pathetic bad offenses so in the interest of fun don't let any of those teams into the playoffs

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Abe Froman posted:

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable.....

The thing is, a committee member was quoted last week saying that the committee did not think Ohio State and Penn State are comparable and that the gap was significant...and that was before Ohio State beat Michigan.

Which just demonstrates how messed up everything is. The committee set up a self fulfilling prophecy by not moving Michigan down after losing to Iowa or not knocking Ohio State more for losing to Penn State or any of a myriad of other things.

It's preposterous that the solution to people disliking a subjective ranking system that relies heavily on preseason rankings and voodoo chicken gut examinations ended up being replaced by the.... Exact same thing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

the big ten is composed of a bunch of pathetic bad offenses so in the interest of fun don't let any of those teams into the playoffs

this guy gets it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

If "oh look it's Bama and Ohio State again" is your idea of fun, redefine your idea of fun.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Alabama rules

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

mastershakeman posted:

I think PSU has a modern offense now, haven't watched them a ton though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Alabama rules

It doesn't seem like that long ago when Mike Shula was mucking things up down there is Tuscaloosa. Back when I hoped Florida would have a twenty year legacy of success with Meyer.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I've got the best solution

dump the playoff, go back to the old bowl system

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Piggly Wiggly Playoff Champs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

The best argument I can make is that the Playoff should have the best teams Right Now and that a conference loss in late October carries more weight than a loss in September when you're still figuring things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

year-round season, four 8-quarter games per week, no substitutions barring disfigurement or death, strangle the NFL in its crib as five-figure assistant coaches fly sadly to Canada and Europe for "talent". also refs consult cheering sections for coup de grace consent. all band instruments replaced with washtub basses and the bleachers slope to one side. beer is cheap, but only served to the dean's list. Accounts of games are valid thesis proposals, but only with express written consent of the NCAA

• Locked thread