Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This is a discussion better suited for the CD hellhole thread, I think.

Meanwhile, Thrawn's pulling some tricks out of the "Bond Villain" handbook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_bweDG6t1U

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

NTRabbit posted:

There's the Geonosian genocide, but that was more a case of the King killing all the engineers who built the secret tunnels in his palace, since they were the ones who designed and built all of the early Deathstar prototypes, in those big orbital gantries.

Take the EU direct references out, and I think the 'racist empire' is more an unintended function of not enough budget for costumes, and writers creating homogeneous planet populations the same way they've made every planet a single biome.

You're imposing a post period(post-9/11, post Soviet Union collapse, post prequel) perspective retroactively. They had enough budget for costumes, did you miss the Cantina scene? These films were made in a post Vietnam/Nixon era. Vietnam was an embarrassment and the 80s were period of mass disillusionment with government and military power. The nation was riding a nostalgia train for when the Greatest Generation saved the world from the Nazis, and George, the author of this universe was fixated on that. It was intended very clearly. When you watch Pitch Perfect, and Anna Kendrick quips about Darth Vader meaning Dark Father in German- no one caught that, and German speaking families didn't clear it up because of shame (and persecution). All the aliens being clustered in a disgusting dive bar on some outer rim craphole of a planet (with multiple indigenous humanoids in it's biome), the disgust and delivery with which the prisoner transfer on the Death Star was received, the abolition of the multicultural (implied) representative (Imperial) Senate. It is as intentional as the lack of aliens serving the Empire directly.

And frankly, trying to separate production design from the story is a ludicrous premise to pursue this argument especially with Star Wars.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheBigBad posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

It's never too late to make the right decision!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Gotta say at this point that red text definitely seems to be on point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

It's never too late to make the right decision!

Bold move reminding everyone of that function.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
The lack of direct alien participation in the Rebel Alliance during ANH & ESB, minus Chewbacca, proves that the Rebels were also Nazis. Prove me wrong.

Protip: you can't

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
They aren't organized or dressed the same, but some defected just like those escaping the holocost. Also, Lando. Also Bothans.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
That and if you go by the current canon that Rebels and apparently Rogue One is presenting, the first time all the assorted Rebellion cells come together is Return of the Jedi. So you're just seeing isolated groups that likely came out of the same general area, or specific planets, before then.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also rebel cells being racist/speciesist liberals who are more interested in pushing through reform in the Imperial senate until that plan falls apart would be a good story.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Actually Mon Mothra was a sentient moth parasite who inhabited a human body.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheBigBad posted:

When you watch Pitch Perfect, and Anna Kendrick quips

Haven't seen it, don't really plan to, no matter how much I like Anna Kendrick, or seeing other stuff from actors I first saw in Scott Pilgrim. Not really my thing.

The plus side is that, for a very long time, I had no idea who this 'Rebel Wilson' was, even though she's from here. Shame it couldn't last.

Also,

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

TheBigBad posted:

They aren't organized or dressed the same, but some defected just like those escaping the holocost. Also, Lando. Also Bothans.

Blacks being a separate species is part of the now-dead EU

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also rebel cells being racist/speciesist liberals who are more interested in pushing through reform in the Imperial senate until that plan falls apart would be a good story.

Funny how we only see human chancellors in the prequels

Zebulon posted:

That and if you go by the current canon that Rebels and apparently Rogue One is presenting, the first time all the assorted Rebellion cells come together is Return of the Jedi. So you're just seeing isolated groups that likely came out of the same general area, or specific planets, before then.

Got it, Mon Mothma's group are the KKK of the bunch

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Funny how we only see human chancellors in the prequels

Sheev's aide/buddy/whatever from the PT, Pas Ameeda (might be getting this name totally wrong, the blue guy) is the Imperial Grand Vizier in the new canon.

Not quite Chancellor, but vice prez isn't too bad.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Image from the upcoming ep:

:swoon:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Oh gently caress yes.

[spoiler] Not just making that canon is bad in all forms dude head explode. TIE loving DEFENDERS![/spoilers]

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I love how Hera is :psyduck:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
gently caress yes!!! My favorite tie design is canon!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

VaultAggie posted:

Ditto. I'm usually a Rebel fighter fan...but I've always loved the Defender. Even bought the Lego set.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Cross-Section posted:

Image from the upcoming ep:

:swoon:

Great!

But wayyyy too early.

Wait, where are we in the timeline at the moment?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tarquinn posted:

Great!

But wayyyy too early.

~5 years BBY

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Tarquinn posted:

Great!

But wayyyy too early.

Roughly one year before ANH/R1.

Might be just early design data. I bet that is from the data cache they recovered from Zeebo's implant in S1.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hmmmmm.

Thanks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

1 Year Out? Wow... :aaa:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Two years out, I think. Ezra is 17. Not that one year makes a huge difference at this point!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

How old was Leia in that one episode? She's 19 in the first movie, right?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I think Ezra's the same age as Luke and Leia. They were all born on the first day of the Empire.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Right! I think Pablo Hidalgo said Ezra was born a couple days before them (to account for the travel at the end of RotS).

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

VaultAggie posted:

Pfft T/I is the only TIE one should ever use. Agility and speed of an A-Wing, with the firepower of a X-wing and no cowardly shields to hide your lack of piloting skills behind.

God I loved TIE Fighter, so good. X-Wing was good too but it doesnt stand out in my memory as much. Most of what I remember is that the way to get a Kalidor Crescent after every mission is that waiting till the end of the mission timer always causes a Star destroyer to show up which you then proceed to blow up. God TIE Fighter was just so drat good in every way. Its such a shame they have never beeb able to make a Star Wars game on its level since. KOTOR 1 and 2 came close though.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 30, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm partial to the Missile Boat myself, but that's more because Thrawn was highly involved in the devlopment of it. That and it's basically like those WW2 torpedo boats

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I don't actually recall the Missile Boat ever actually appearing in any EU fiction other than the TIE Fighter game itself though. Okay, and I suppose SW: Rebellion. The TIE Defender on the other hand did, and it's exactly as lethal in those works as one would expect of a fighter that roughly combined the speed of an A-Wing, the shield strength of an X-Wing, and the maneuverability of a TIE Interceptor. Oh, and similar firepower to a B-Wing. Sure it cost like 5x the price of any other fighter available, but causing politicians looking at the the price tag to have a minor heart attack is just another benefit, right?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Missile boat wasn't in rebellion. Only defender interceptor bomber and fighter

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Are video games cannon, because the defender has already popped up in Battlefront.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Missile boat wasn't in rebellion. Only defender interceptor bomber and fighter

Huh, I could have sworn it was available, but looking at the unit list you're right. Just misremembered.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

Are video games cannon, because the defender has already popped up in Battlefront.

Official guidelines are that video games are screened for "authenticity" (so they should look and feel like Star Wars), but are not canonical.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

What the what now. Where?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bunnyofdoom posted:

What the what now. Where?

Part of the Death Star DLC pack. It's the special fighter you can call in

Edit: call in as an AI buddy. They aren't player-controllable.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The reason people say the Empire is racist is because it's staffed entirely by white men.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The reason people say the Empire is racist is because it's staffed entirely by white men.

Yeah, but so was the Rebellion for the first two movies, and even in the third all you've got alienwise is Ackbar and his staff, Lando's Copilot, and a reference to "Bothans" who, being just a name, aren't necessarily aliens if the three movies exist in a vacuum.

I guess the Rebellion did have a handful of women scattered around.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, but so was the Rebellion for the first two movies, and even in the third all you've got alienwise is Ackbar and his staff, Lando's Copilot, and a reference to "Bothans" who, being just a name, aren't necessarily aliens if the three movies exist in a vacuum.

I guess the Rebellion did have a handful of women scattered around.

Yeah theres lots of stuff people assume is part of the OT but really is completely separate from it. Like Sith never gets mentioned up as a thing and jedi use lightsabers because vader has one but the emperor doesnt. There are jedi and the emperor who was just something else. Also the idea of a light and dark side of the force isn't really what is talked about in Empire as its more 'the force' and the dark side. I think luke mentions the light in terms of whats stronger but yoda kinda never refers to it in those terms. Its just the force and a perversion of the force.

Also I am perpetually flabbergasted that people dont hear han solo talking about kessel runs and parsecs think hes giving a fact and not just trying to talk a mean game to get more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Galaga Galaxian posted:

and a reference to "Bothans" who, being just a name, aren't necessarily aliens if the three movies exist in a vacuum.

I dunno he looks pretty white to me :v:

yes I know that's from a parody

• Locked thread