Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

Same I'm loving it. What perks are you using? I just find having extended mag and fast reload is a really safe bet.

Gun Runner and Tactikill for me. I was already using the R-97 before the patch because it's a close range monster so buffs to it seem crazy to me. In any case, the mag is long enough by default to hose down a few pilots without reloading, so fast reload and extended mag seem pointless. Gun Runner is essential for nippy smg play, and tactikill gets cloak back up faster, although I may switch over to phase shift now, we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zolthorg posted:

The new map is totally loving worthless i guess because its three modes in one so all the various groups of gamemode purists refuse to play it.

Its fractured the actual bounty hunt and amped hardpoint playerbases so now it takes equally ridiculously long to matchmake a game of BH AHP or the new map.

I haven't even been hosed enough in the head to wait the like 5 minutes or whatever it takes to play the new map so I'm just playing attrition.

I guess i've gotten slightly better at attrition, but its still a bad mode where being spawn camped gives the opponents 5 points every time instead of half your money down to 0$

The angel city pop is low because only preorder people can access it right now

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Lumpy posted:

Does the long / short range thing affect your normal fire mode at all, or just power shot (which I also never use because I don't understand it)

As far as I can tell Legions Short/Long range modes act like this:

Short: Spread is larger than a pilot at any range.
Normal ammo usage.
Power shot is knockback.

Long. Spread is so tight that you can headshot pilots at sniper ranges if you feel so inclined.
Double ammo usage.
Power shot is penetrating. Uses 1 ammo.

Basically, I use long range 90% of the time and aim for titan critzones. The easiest way to learn Legion is probably to just stick with the Extra Ammunition perk and run Long range firemode all the time.

Once you've played Legion for a while and are trying out the other perks then you'll become familiar with with how useless Legion becomes if you let his gun run dry. A Tone in your face with easy critzone access can easily destroy your rear end during your reload time. This is when you start trying to figure out the close range mode as it needs less reloads. Long range mode also works less well against some Titan defenses like Gun shield or Particle wall where they will eat most of your mag and put you into reload hell. The main time I prefer to use close range mode is when I'm about to ambush an enemy at close range and want the mag capacity to just drill through their defense and still have enough to kill them.

Smart core's infinite ammo is when you ignore all the rules and just go full ham. You can sometimes bait out the enemy into dashing towards you when they think you're about to run out of ammo only to activate core and keep firing.

Power shot is also really awkward to use if you're not already spun up. You try it out, it goes through a series of laboured animations that hamper your movement and you think its trash. If you use the Long range version while already firing then there is the briefest gap in the bullets before it fires. And it only costs a single bullet so its a great way to fit just a little more damage in before a reload. Very efficient.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

veni veni veni posted:

What exactly makes Tone so broken? As someone who really enjoys using Tone I really don't see it at this point. It's a very powerful Titan but I really don't see what supposedly makes her that op anymore.

I actually like Tone but its trade-off between power and skill is totally wacked. Tone strategy is near brain-dead and results in a threat at literally every range to every target and has every ability work together very easily and with no real downsides. It's great at long range, it murders Pilots better than any other Titan, and oh yeah it has a wall hack and a shield that lets it sit at medium-to-long range and bop you with lock on rockets with no health damage in return.

I mean the two other Titans that are directly comparable to it's hit-and-run style are Ion, which comes with an energy management system that essentially restricts what it can do both offensively and defensively, and Northstar, which is basically designed to get its tiny health pool wrecked if anyone even looks in its general direction. Oh and both of them have a Utility ability that, on a good day, is maybe half as good as Sonar. Sonar Is King.

I've got no problem with Tone's existence or playstyle. My problem comes from the fact that I play all the Titans and I have to bust my rear end with every other one of them to get the results I get with Tone. Tone feels like easy mode. Tone has an answer for everything and that answer is extremely easy to implement and extremely effective. Nothing proves that more than the fact that my least-played and least-leveled Titan is Tone and my stats page shows that my most effective and most deadly weapon across all categories is the 40mm.

I don't want it to be garbage but even poo poo like removing the missile lock from Sonar would help. It's a freakin' wallhack, it doesn't need to also contribute to Tone's offense! That's the kind of thing that should be a Titan Kit, and Tone gets it for free.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I can kind of deal with Tone because its manageable with Ion, 1 v 1, but theres nothing more infuriating then getting one shot by a Tone as a pilot where the Tone didn't really have to work for it. Getting melee'd is my fault for getting too close while its aware of me, getting lasered by Ion is atleast depleting his resource and is generally an action of some aiming skill. In comparison, Tone just feels cheap, every time. I never get killed by a Tone's 40mm and go "huh, nicely done", which I can do for p. much every other titan.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Senethro posted:

As far as I can tell Legions Short/Long range modes act like this:

Short: Spread is larger than a pilot at any range.
Normal ammo usage.
Power shot is knockback.

Long. Spread is so tight that you can headshot pilots at sniper ranges if you feel so inclined.
Double ammo usage.
Power shot is penetrating. Uses 1 ammo.

To add 2 things to this:

Short range power shot works like a titan sized shotgun against pilots and will insta kill them at close to close-mid range.

Also you can spin up the gun without having to fire it (it's rmb for PC, don't know what it is for consoles). I see a lot of legions run around corners and then get shredded while they try to spin up their gun

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW if I seem like a cranky sore-assed baby in my Tone post it's because this game's matchmaking sucks poo poo and I got my face stomped all last night.

Edit: If you want to play a good Legion here's a guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/5ert6d/a_legion_guide_endless_casings/

Literally my only highlight last night was hopping in Legion and hosing down 3 Titans + 2 Pilots in one go. He's a very good boy.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 30, 2016

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I wish that the in game store worked so I could throw more money at this good and fun game.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I unlocked the Volt lady night but it's been nerfed. Should i just continue using the CAR?

I also unlocked low profile but decided it wasn't worth it until could use phase shift...which i also unlocked last night.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I have yet to use the alternator, but with the volt changes I need a new love. Given the popularity of the gun amongst others, I am looking forward to it becoming my new favourite.

I still love the G2 though.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
My girlfriend picked up two copies of this for us on cyber Monday. She was literally a robot programmed to play titanfall1, just loving godly at that game right up to its dying breath. She.... Viscerally hates tf2 with an almost frightening passion, apparently the movement is just all wrong or something. I couldn't disagree more, I'm having a loving blast.

The movement feels better to me, maybe a TINY bit more clunky with the way you aggressively stick to walls, but its definitely easier pull off graceful high speed bullshit in tf2. The time to kill felt suuuper bad for the first 40 min, and then you figure out how not to potato and now pilot v pilot fights feel more even than tf1. I do really miss Titan customisation and shields, but the more I play the more I understand why they got rid of it.

The game desperately needs crosshair customization, seriously the CAR and R97 crosshair is god awful. Also the map designer needs to get dragged out back and shot, Crash Site is one of the worst maps I've played in an fps to date. For the new maps I really hope they go back and look at what made the tf1 dlc maps so good, namely smooth parkour, medium to short range engagements, and less collidable clutter. Oh and the menus and out-of-game UI is terrible, come on, like 60 clicks to change things in a loadout even you should only need like 3.

Over all I'm loving the game, it's really not perfect but it is really fun, I give it a 7/10. 8/10 with the bonus points of running at good frame rates on an ancient 660ti without looking like garbage.
I'm hanging out in the LLJK network as RadulaRadula

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ZenVulgarity posted:

Like how do you all deal with the idea that people can approach from any area

It does not feel like it makes sense compared to like overwatch where you die generally a lot slower

Yeah like never stop moving. Never. Stop. Moving. Staying in one place is death/the floor is lava etc. Try and stay around your teammates but if youre alone just move along; with the accuracy of the weapons in this game a stationary target is a sitting duck. I think that's one of the reasons why snipers aren't great in this game, and I love it. After playing Battlefield 1 for a bit I really appreciate not having to deal with snipers all the time.

Also having the gun mod for shooting while running can really help with many of the weapons.

Senethro posted:

If you go sufficiently fast, then enemies will never catch up to you so you only need to look forwards!

Also, the Phase Shift tactical on a hair trigger to give you time to re-orient and almost proc Fast Regen.

poo poo this feels like it's not a joke with me. I barely even look at the radar unless I haven't found anyone in a while.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I know for sure I've used more than 9 cores, are certain stats only counting the current Gen?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I think running and gunning is generally better (and more fun); I've had a lot of success running the Hemlock and playing a slow careful game

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Number of cores used and boosted applied were not tracked prior to this patch.

Also dude with the girlfriend, congratulations on the sex, but sorry about your bad-opinioned girlfriend.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This is a question probably as bad as yesterday's "how I auto-titan??" but do people have good tips on phase shifting? Cloak was my best upgrade, but now with it turning off on gunfire, it's of some limited utility. Phase shift is perfect stealth, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it without risking ambushing myself because I can't see where the enemy is before I unshift. Is there a good rule of thumb to follow about it?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Skyscraper posted:

This is a question probably as bad as yesterday's "how I auto-titan??" but do people have good tips on phase shifting? Cloak was my best upgrade, but now with it turning off on gunfire, it's of some limited utility. Phase shift is perfect stealth, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it without risking ambushing myself because I can't see where the enemy is before I unshift. Is there a good rule of thumb to follow about it?

I would only use it reactively, don't use it to set up an ambush, it just doesn't really work that way. Rodeo a titan and phase shift away with his battery. Start a fight and phase shift if it goes south. Use it to get away, not to get a better position on someone (since you will have no idea where they will end up). If you're certain that person won't move it could be useful but I wouldn't really use it like that. Its a reactive skill.

What you can do, and what I do is, phase shift away, crouch dash, wall run, and pop around a corner, then you can turn around and watch that corner, you know if the enemy chased you know exactly where they'll come from.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Knifegrab posted:

Number of cores used and boosted applied were not tracked prior to this patch.

Ah, that makes sense, was wondering what was going on with the boost stat.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Playing slowly, patiently, and carefully and looking out for a sprint-jumping spaz in the distance to gun down is very effective. You just need to goddamn reposition afterwards, because every weapon in the game has spectacular flashy tracer fire, and your perfect machine gun nest has six entrances, and I'm up to 18 pilot executions while using mostly the grappling hook. It lets you cover long distances very quickly, it is good for taking a wide route to flank people. Also for a pilot execution you need to be behind somebody, and hold the punch button, the neck-breaking thing happens after your punch. I wish I could get doomed titan executions to trigger nearly so consistently.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I can't feel any difference between r-97 and car except ones better at long range still. Maybe that's just me.

Something that really concerns me yesterday is that in all my games before yesterday I saw one "suspicious" player.

Yesterday I saw 2 gen 0 pilots with perfect map awareness and accuracy with the g2......

I know the game has Fairfight but RS6 went the just Fairfight route and they eventually had to supplement it with battleeye

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

pakman posted:

I also unlocked low profile but decided it wasn't worth it until could use phase shift...which i also unlocked last night.

There's literally nothing else in that perk slot worth using.

Use Low Profile. You don't need Phase Shift.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Except in LTS, then it has a purpose.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hover is cool and good

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Knifegrab posted:

I would only use it reactively, don't use it to set up an ambush, it just doesn't really work that way. Rodeo a titan and phase shift away with his battery. Start a fight and phase shift if it goes south. Use it to get away, not to get a better position on someone (since you will have no idea where they will end up). If you're certain that person won't move it could be useful but I wouldn't really use it like that. Its a reactive skill.

What you can do, and what I do is, phase shift away, crouch dash, wall run, and pop around a corner, then you can turn around and watch that corner, you know if the enemy chased you know exactly where they'll come from.

Ah, I see! I've been using it as a really thorough short-range cloak to try to ambush people, and I guess that's my problem.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Daztek posted:

Hover is cool and good

On only one gun though.

Wall hang can be useful in hardpoint or other gamemodes that involve camping a point but otherwise bleh. Kill report can be somewhat useful when used in conjunction with the tac knife.

But yeah its bonkers how much better low profile is.

What does everyone use for the first perk though? I find I almost always take tactical recharge. Except on my titan hunting class where I take ordinance master, and on my "lol" build where I do phase embark.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hover is absolutely viable with Grapple (to regain momentum after hovering) and a Grenadier class weapon, like the newly-buffed EPG.

Is it MLG pro-tier "competitive"? No, but it is a lot of fun, and you can do some cool stuff with it.

Knifegrab posted:

What does everyone use for the first perk though? I find I almost always take tactical recharge. Except on my titan hunting class where I take ordinance master, and on my "lol" build where I do phase embark.

I am a big, big, big fan of Ordinance Master + Electric Smoke Grenade in Hardpoint.

With the perk, the grenades come off cooldown insanely fast, you can hork a Grenade pretty much every 10 seconds, and the Electric Smoke lasts for about 5 seconds.

That's a lot of "no go" zones in a mode where you fight over territory. Give it a try.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Skyscraper posted:

Sure, you can use it to escape or cross open areas, but where's the fun in that? I've found it most effective to run behind someone, especially if they don't realize you're there in the first place. In general try to position yourself so you reappear in an area they're not covering.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Hackan%20Slash/video/23786374

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Hackan%20Slash/video/24061592

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hover is absolutely viable with Grapple (to regain momentum after hovering) and a Grenadier class weapon, like the newly-buffed EPG.

Is it MLG pro-tier "competitive"? No, but it is a lot of fun, and you can do some cool stuff with it.

I am a big, big, big fan of Ordinance Master + Electric Smoke Grenade in Hardpoint.

With the perk, the grenades come off cooldown insanely fast, you can hork a Grenade pretty much every 10 seconds, and the Electric Smoke lasts for about 5 seconds.

That's a lot of "no go" zones in a mode where you fight over territory. Give it a try.

I like the sound of that but don't like the sound of any game mode without AI!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I actually share that sentiment, and wish they would add some kind of AI to Amped Hardpoint.

Maybe one of the Twists they're talking about...

Anyway I would encourage you to give it a try, because there's lots of fighting around the points you won't miss them too much (but you will miss them)

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

I dont even play on Xbox, but I loving did it anyway, I want a digital BT.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually share that sentiment, and wish they would add some kind of AI to Amped Hardpoint.

Maybe one of the Twists they're talking about...

Anyway I would encourage you to give it a try, because there's lots of fighting around the points you won't miss them too much (but you will miss them)

NEVER :colbert:

If I can't ignore humans and play PvE whats even the point?!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am torn between wanting BT with the basic rear end kit in multiplayer and wanting him to live happily in roboheaven.

Also I only play modes with AI so my scrubby rear end can still occasionally feel useful.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I want Respawn to let me give them money :saddowns:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chumbler posted:

I am torn between wanting BT with the basic rear end kit in multiplayer and wanting him to live happily in roboheaven.

He's not dead.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I really want the multi lock missile from the SP to make its way to MP.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

Phase shift is largely defensive rather than offensive, but you can also use it to cross dangerous territory like in that youtube clip I posted last page where i used it to jump across the front of a Legion to get behind him. You can also use it to cross things like firestars/napalm, get out of gravity stars/electric smoke, and if there is a sonar or map hack up and you see a group of enemies you can try to get behind them with it with marginal success.

Here's that clip again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTQf8OmBBhI

And here's one example where I clumsily used it to get behind a few people camping a room.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ConcernedReader/video/23081927

Another couple key things: You can start cooking a grenade while in phase shift land, but if you throw the grenade while shifted it will not come out of shift land. You also cannot activate some boosts while shifted. It'll play the animation, but it won't stick. (EG: Amped Weapons won't be active when you come out of phase shift if you tried to activate it while shifted.)

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 30, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The secret to enjoying Crash Site is to realize that it is a map for Titans, so pick Scorch and the Thunderbolt anti-Titan secondary and never not be in your Titan.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I actually kinda like crash site because it has a lot of nice side paths for pilots.

The office map can burn in hell, though.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

chumbler posted:

I actually kinda like crash site because it has a lot of nice side paths for pilots.

you are my polar opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

chumbler posted:

My only issue with the office map is that there are rooms where it looks like you can drop in your titan, but they're actually just simulated skyboxes and your titan drops 3000 feet away outside somewhere. I'm always too stupid to remember and keep doing it.