Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/804021763558567936
Cutch is going to get traded to some great team and become a great player again while the Pirates get jackshit for him.
Sure seems like moving him now would be the epitome of selling low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Sure seems like moving him now would be the epitome of selling low

Trading your all-star CF after a down year in a FA class that has literally nothing else going for it besides quality OF'ers is pretty much peak Pirates though.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well good news, the only contending teams that need centerfielders are the Cubs and Cardinals so you're still gonna see a ton of him!

The Nats need a centerfielder :(

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

On the contrary, if you know you cannot afford him, trading him now, during a historically bad FA offseason, is the best move.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Can he play LF?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

coupbrick posted:

Can he play LF?

His arm makes RF a better place for him, though he can certainly play left in the sense that literally any baseball player can probably play left field.

He has been a minus fielder for a few seasons now in center and probably should move.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well good news, the only contending teams that need centerfielders are the Cubs and Cardinals so you're still gonna see a ton of him!

Just off the top of my head why wouldn't the Cubs trade a package with Soler as the main piece for 2 years of Cutch?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

chilihead posted:

Just off the top of my head why wouldn't the Cubs trade a package with Soler as the main piece for 2 years of Cutch?

I can think of a bunch of reasons why the Pirates wouldn't!

Like they would have to trade real prospects. Not a guy who's best case scenerio is a platoon player or 4th outfielder.

They probably don't need to move Happ or Jiminez, but they would need to move some other highly respected prospects.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Paul Zuvella posted:

His arm makes RF a better place for him, though he can certainly play left in the sense that literally any baseball player can probably play left field.

Counterpoint: Hanley Ramirez

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the Pirates have to try and pry away at least two MLB ready players and maybe a player right off the roster. there's really no recent deals outside of the original Justin Upton trade. Cutch has two years remaining on his deal, and I think it'll be safe to assume that he plays closer to his career marks given that he's only 30 and should have a couple of more seasons at peak level

for reference, the Upton trade was Upton and Chris Johnson for Nick Ahmed, Randall Delgado, Brandon Drury, Martin Prado, and Zeke Spruill. Delgado was a top 50 guy, and Drury was in the top 100. Ahmed and Spruill were lottery tickets attached to the end. Prado was a good bat and offered positional versatility. This should be the baseline for a McCutchen trade, and the Pirates should get more since McCutchen is a better player than Upton

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Giants always need outfielders. Not that they have the prospects for him.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Adams, Weaver, prospects for Cutch. Do it, Mo. Work your magic!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paul Zuvella posted:

I can think of a bunch of reasons why the Pirates wouldn't!

Like they would have to trade real prospects. Not a guy who's best case scenerio is a platoon player or 4th outfielder.

They probably don't need to move Happ or Jiminez, but they would need to move some other highly respected prospects.

I'd be stunned if Cutch ends up with an NL Central team for anything less than a kings ransom, rivalry tax is very real and the Pirates don't want to end up facing Cutch regularly if he bounces back.

Also fuckin' :lol: at Cubs fans who still think Soler is worth anything as the gem of a trade. He's an injury prone, unproven gamble at best, a bust at worst. He's a complementary lotto ticket in any trade.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Cleveland might work as well. Naquin is a platoon bat who hasn't solved the high fastball yet, and didn't play great CF defense.

God only knows what the Pirates would ask for though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McCutchen was also back to being a really really good hitter from August on.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

I feel confident they won't trade him in division

Send him to a former division member instead! :v:

LF in MMP could hide any shine that's come off his fielding and then man you can't run on anyone when playing the Astros

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sydin posted:

Also fuckin' :lol: at Cubs fans who still think Soler is worth anything as the gem of a trade. He's an injury prone, unproven gamble at best, a bust at worst. He's a complementary lotto ticket in any trade.

The Cubs need to just take whatever they can get for him at this point, down to and including some good NY pizza or bagels. He's never going to get any playing time, so his stock isn't going any higher from where it is now (just a shade above rock bottom).

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Artix posted:

Orioles acquire Logan Verrett from the Mets for cash considerations. I'd joke that will be our big offseason move, but frankly I'm not willing to tempt fate that it would be true. :shepface:

Well, lemme say this: best of luck with that experiment.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Almost wonder if the Braves would take a swing at it, they could send Inciarte the other way plus Ozzie Albies and arms for days. They'd still have Mallex for center and Markakis around. Probably not though since that rotation just isn't winning anything for another year or so of development.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

chilihead posted:

The $14 million you pay him probably needs to go toward starting pitching next offseason. He also might be broken.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If you include Zobrist, Contreras, and Bryant, all of whom played a significant number of games in the outfield in 2016, the Cubs' 40-man roster is 25% outfielders. Hannemann won't make the 25-man to start the season, either Soler or Szczur will probably be traded, and that still leaves Almora, Heyward, Jay, and Schwarber.

Contreras is probably not playing much OF this year. And Bryant was used mostly out of necessity because of injuries.

Not sure I'd trade Soler now considering his value has to be low. They won't get anything for Szczur. It wouldn't be the end of the world if Almora started the year in AAA. He is only 22 and needs more plate discipline. If he plays well you can bring him up and move someone. Guess it's a good problem to have.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cutch is not broken, he had a down year but I'm sure he'll bounce back he is just too drat good to have lost it.

There is no way the Cubs get Cutch, when you factor in cost in prospects/MLB ready players plus 14 million in payroll on top of adding another outfielder to an already very crowded outfield it's just not happening. I suppose there is a package to be made in Schwarber & Montgomery plus a boatload of prospects but Theo is not going to be that dumb.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jays twitter melting down over rumors that EE is signing with Houston today.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

On the contrary, if you know you cannot afford him, trading him now, during a historically bad FA offseason, is the best move.
I think Sydin's point was that it's a weak FA class everywhere EXCEPT in the OF.

Paul Zuvella posted:

He has been a minus fielder for a few seasons now in center and probably should move.
Good thing he's quoted in that article as not wanting to move off of CF then.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

chilihead posted:

Because the Cubs have been saying for the past year that they're not spending money this offseason.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Pirates have talked to the Nationals, Rangers, and Mariners (!) about Cutch. They're looking for prospects. Seattle has a bunch of OF prospects now, but not much else goin for them.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rosenthal says that the Pirates are the ones being aggressive in offering McCutchen to clubs. That's pretty interesting, and you have to wonder if the Pirates are sacrificing short term success in order to get their kids more time to play.

So who's realistically in play for Cutch? I think Washington makes the most sense, but i don't know who else has the payroll plus prospect capital to make a deal

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
If you have the Topps BUNT app, make sure to get this sweet Vlad ticket stub:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Carlosologist posted:

Rosenthal says that the Pirates are the ones being aggressive in offering McCutchen to clubs. That's pretty interesting, and you have to wonder if the Pirates are sacrificing short term success in order to get their kids more time to play.

So who's realistically in play for Cutch? I think Washington makes the most sense, but i don't know who else has the payroll plus prospect capital to make a deal

I think Texas does.

Also, Cutch only has 2 years left on his contract (2018 is a club option). At $14mil for 2017, he's a good value, but he was also considered one of the worst defensive CFs last year, and apparently doesn't want to play a COF spot. His asking price won't be as high as someone like, say... Chris Sale, in terms of prospect value that you'd have to give up.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Nats have certainly got a hole to fill in CF, do they have the prospects to give up for Cutch? I'm assuming Turner and Giolito are untouchable.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sydin posted:

Trading your all-star CF after a down year in a FA class that has literally nothing else going for it besides quality OF'ers is pretty much peak Pirates though.
What's going to happen is the Pirates are going to trade for some prospects that will never amount to anything as Bob Nutting laughs his way to the bank like the cheap rich bastard he is.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Carlosologist posted:

I'd say Texas, Nats, maybe the Giants? I don't know if they have the prospects to give up. Cardinals are a possibility but they'd have to pay a premium to trade within the division.

I'm guessing it'll be Texas.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Thanks for this. :cheers:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

you have to wonder if the Pirates are sacrificing short term success in order to get their kids more time to play.

No they don't give an iota of poo poo about that. It's money plain and simple.

Money drives everything for them and they will take a pittance for Cutch so long as someone assumes the entire contract.

They'll ask for top prospects in return because anyone would, but they will absolutely take poo poo in return if someone eats all of the salary and the whole league knows it.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

Thanks for this. :cheers:

Hell yeah! Bought. I was just reading a review of OOTP 17 and came across this in the comments:

:allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The CBA has been signed for 5 years but the specifics are unknown so far

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

No they don't give an iota of poo poo about that. It's money plain and simple.

Money drives everything for them and they will take a pittance for Cutch so long as someone assumes the entire contract.

They'll ask for top prospects in return because anyone would, but they will absolutely take poo poo in return if someone eats all of the salary and the whole league knows it.

I think it has more to do with them not wanting to pay a declining player when his contract expires and their window having closed, but ya ok.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ego symphonic posted:

The Nats need a centerfielder :(

You can have Denard Span back if you want him. I'm mostly kidding but that signing didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

New rule: never sign a speed + defense guy with gray in his beard, it will only end in tears.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The CBA has been signed for 5 years but the specifics are unknown so far

Rosenthal said that an idea floated a few hours ago was a spending cap on international amateurs (meaning pro leagues like Japan would be excluded), which seems like something the Steinbrenners would be giddy over.

Edit: Rosenthal says they're still working out some pretty big details like draft-pick compensation for free agents.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The deal does NOT include any changes to roster size or roster expansions in Sept, which had been discussed.

• Locked thread