Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The hell? I guess I got the the WRONG HDR TV then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Can VUDU steam 4K HDR movies? I really want Mad Max but don't have a player yet and looking at the VUDU app on my LG it seems like it should stream in 4k HDR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wandler20 posted:

Can VUDU steam 4K HDR movies? I really want Mad Max but don't have a player yet and looking at the VUDU app on my LG it seems like it should stream in 4k HDR.

Yes if you have a TV that supports Dolby Vision. Which LG TV do you have again? If it's one of the 2016 models, you are golden.

If the movie you want is Warner, Universal, or Lionsgate, buy the UHD disc and redeem the UV code. Mad Max Fury Road is one of those titles. You should be able to buy the UHD disc for the same or less money than digital only.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

Yes if you have a TV that supports Dolby Vision. Which LG TV do you have again? If it's one of the 2016 models, you are golden.

If the movie you want is Warner, Universal, or Lionsgate, buy the UHD disc and redeem the UV code. Mad Max Fury Road is one of those titles. You should be able to buy the UHD disc for the same or less money than digital only.

I've got the C6.

Good to know, normally I'd just buy the disc but I've been snowed in for 2 days now and want to watch it today.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm considering buying a second TV for use as a dedicated PS4Pro gaming display. In my living room I have a last generation Samsung 8 series plasma used for light PS4 gaming and movie/TV show consumption.

I've narrowed down the units I'm interested in to the Samsung KS8000 or the LG OLED B6. I'm heavily leaning towards the OLED, but the 4K HDR mode input lag gives me pause. LG says this will be fixed via firmware, but will they really follow up on it? The 35-40 ms of lag present in Game mode for SDR content should work fine for me (my Plasma is about that much), but the 60ms in 4K-HDR would be unacceptable. I want as future-proof of a TV as I can get, as I typically only replace my sets every 6 years.

The KS8000 sounds like a fantastic display, with the caveat that it's an edge-lit LCD and the PQ might be disappointing coming from a Plasma. However, I game on an IPS display at my PC so I'm used to the common pitfalls in LCD tech. All the other features of it tick the boxes, especially the price.

My understanding is the new year models don't typically arrive until the summer months. I *could* wait that long, but I'd really like to get something soonish. I don't mind paying the extra money for the LG OLED if it's going to give me a superior experience to the KS8000, but am leery because of the HDR game mode input lag. If LG had not promised to correct it with a firmware update it would be a no-go for me.

Any recommendations?

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

My understanding is the new year models don't typically arrive until the summer months. I *could* wait that long, but I'd really like to get something soonish. I don't mind paying the extra money for the LG OLED if it's going to give me a superior experience to the KS8000, but am leery because of the HDR game mode input lag. If LG had not promised to correct it with a firmware update it would be a no-go for me.

I'm weighing the same options, so I'd also like to hear recommendations regarding this. I'm particularly interested in the comparison 55" LG OLED55B6P (which can be had for ~$1500) vs the 65" Samsung KS8000 (which people were able to get for ~$1100 through EPP).

I've seen the KS8000 in person and thought it looked great, but I haven't seen any OLED TVs in person yet. Is OLED so great that it's worth the difference in 10" and a couple hundred dollars?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Prancing Shoes posted:

I'm weighing the same options, so I'd also like to hear recommendations regarding this. I'm particularly interested in the comparison 55" LG OLED55B6P (which can be had for ~$1500) vs the 65" Samsung KS8000 (which people were able to get for ~$1100 through EPP).

I've seen the KS8000 in person and thought it looked great, but I haven't seen any OLED TVs in person yet. Is OLED so great that it's worth the difference in 10" and a couple hundred dollars?

I'd personally go with a 65" over a 55" any day, but the OLED PQ will be somewhat better which is a given at this point in time.

E: I have a 65" KS8500 and I'm really happy with it - 4K/4K HDR content looks great and it performs very well with my xbox. Once you get it in your house then you won't be looking at it right next to an OLED screen and the picture quality does not disappoint. I had a 55" Samsung before and there's a very noticeable difference between the two in size.

comper fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 30, 2016

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Tempted to pick up this 55" KS8000 for $729 (Samsung EPP pricing)... someone convince me not to.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

comper posted:

I'd personally go with a 65" over a 55" any day, but the OLED PQ will be somewhat better which is a given at this point in time.

Related to this, I'm only considering 50-55" screen sizes as I'd be sitting no further than 6-8' away. Is 55" even too large for that viewing distance?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Elysium posted:

Tempted to pick up this 55" KS8000 for $729 (Samsung EPP pricing)... someone convince me not to.

It's great at $1000, $729 is a no brainer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anti-Hero posted:

Related to this, I'm only considering 50-55" screen sizes as I'd be sitting no further than 6-8' away. Is 55" even too large for that viewing distance?

I sit about 8ft from a 65" screen and it's not even close to overpowering.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone know if the LG 43UH610T is actually a 10bit panel? The website just says "10 bit processing" which sounds fishy to me. I want to avoid another Samsung KU6000 situation.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So in unrelated news, I just picked up a cheap OTA antenna, tried hooking it up and it appears that my coax input is simply not working. Tested antenna on another tv and it worked. Am I just out of luck? I tried searching for other people with non working dtv/antenna inputs and either no one in the world has this problem or it's just impossible to google.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How old is your TV?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It's a 4 year old Vizio E series

It seems maybe I could buy something like this, connect it to the antenna, and then go HDMI to the TV?

https://www.amazon.com/Edal-Receive...l+converter+box

Elysium fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 1, 2016

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Any tips for dealing with a tv shipped from Samsung that arrived damaged?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

sellouts posted:

The oled is the better tv hands down. But I don't need my tv to be super bright and I turn my oled light way down.

Also I watch a fair amount at night anyways.
I understand that OLEDs in general have superior picture quality, but are they still better in a very bright room? I'm mostly concerned about reflections/glare, my current TV (a 3 year old 47" LG LED) has absolutely abysmal glare, watching TV during the day is basically like looking into a mirror.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

New firmware is out for the C6, E6, and G6 that reportedly adds HDR gaming mode to cut lag. 04.30.19 is live on their support site, must be a staged rollout for the automatic check because mine hasn't picked up on it yet.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Well, that made my decision on getting an OLED. Off to Best Buy this weekend.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trillest Parrot posted:

Any tips for dealing with a tv shipped from Samsung that arrived damaged?
1) Call Samsung for a replacement

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anti-Hero posted:

Well, that made my decision on getting an OLED. Off to Best Buy this weekend.

Be aware the update isn't live for the B6 yet. That's not too say it isn't coming, but it uses a different internal hardware platform so it isn't in sync with the other models.

So, if you intended to buy the B6, you'll still be waiting.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Be aware the update isn't live for the B6 yet. That's not too say it isn't coming, but it uses a different internal hardware platform so it isn't in sync with the other models.

So, if you intended to buy the B6, you'll still be waiting.

Thanks for the heads up. I may hedge my bets and go for the 55E6 in that case. How is the sound bar on that?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

NoDamage posted:

I understand that OLEDs in general have superior picture quality, but are they still better in a very bright room? I'm mostly concerned about reflections/glare, my current TV (a 3 year old 47" LG LED) has absolutely abysmal glare, watching TV during the day is basically like looking into a mirror.

I don't know how bright your room is so I don't know?

I keep OLED light at 45 (out of 100) and it's no problem at noon or midnight. So... it's fine for me?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
My 55B6 is still in a box after picking up over black friday. Really hope they make a statement about the firmware fix for this soon otherwise i might swap for the E6.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Anti-Hero posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I may hedge my bets and go for the 55E6 in that case. How is the sound bar on that?

Any reason not to go with the C6? I was hesitant on the curved screen but now that I have it at home the curve is so subtle that I often don't notice it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Same. I didn't want the soundbar because it was paying extra for something I wouldn't use ever and it bulked up the form factor.

You don't even notice the curve, it's a non-issue.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Any reason not to go with the C6? I was hesitant on the curved screen but now that I have it at home the curve is so subtle that I often don't notice it.

I'll check out the C6 then. My local BB has the 55 C6 and 65 E6 in stock, but I think the 65 is too rich for my blood.

I will need a sound bar of some kind, hence the question about the E6. I'll make a pit stop to BB and see how I like the C6 curve.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
What the piss. Do I get an HDMI 2.0a or b cable? Do b cables exist yet? HDMI.org makes it sound like they do, and are what I need for HDR to work.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

lite_sleepr posted:

What the piss. Do I get an HDMI 2.0a or b cable? Do b cables exist yet? HDMI.org makes it sound like they do, and are what I need for HDR to work.

2.0a will work just fine for 4K and HDR.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm trying to hawk my old TV on Craigslist, is $120 for a 65" 2011 Mitsubishi DLP too much to ask? Is this perfectly working 1080p thing going to have to go away with heavy trash pickup because nobody wants DLPs?

I see a bunch of other people asking $300-500 for even older 65"-73" DLPs, which is obviously crazy and nobody's gonna buy that. I figured at ~$100 I could actually sell this thing and let somebody get a couple more years of enjoyment out of it like I have, but so far all I've had is someone show up and say "oh, I thought it was an HDTV. All HDTVs are flat panels." I included pictures of the cabinet from all angles and mention the cabinet in the CL post, guy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm afraid the problem is the people on Craigslist.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Endless Mike posted:

1) Call Samsung for a replacement

Joke's on you, they don't send replacements, only refunds!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anti-Hero posted:

I will need a sound bar of some kind, hence the question about the E6. I'll make a pit stop to BB and see how I like the C6 curve.

I'm relying on last years models inbuilt speaker until I get the time/spare cash to throw into a speakers/receiver option, and it's actually surprisingly fine. All I really want from it is clarity on speech and to not completely pretend there's no bass at all and it does both fine. Genuinely quite impressed to be honest.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

I'll check out the C6 then. My local BB has the 55 C6 and 65 E6 in stock, but I think the 65 is too rich for my blood.

Do you have to shop at best buy? You can save significantly shopping elsewhere...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

Do you have to shop at best buy? You can save significantly shopping elsewhere...

I live in Alaska. Amazon won't ship TVs to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It still may be worth calling Cleveland Plasma.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

wandler20 posted:

2.0a will work just fine for 4K and HDR.

But how do I know I have 2.0a cables? I just bought a GE high speed HDMI w/ ethernet cable. It says it's certified for 1080P and 4K x2K. Packaging also says it's 3D ready, so I can only assume if it supports all that, it's what I need for HDR.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

lite_sleepr posted:

But how do I know I have 2.0a cables? I just bought a GE high speed HDMI w/ ethernet cable. It says it's certified for 1080P and 4K x2K. Packaging also says it's 3D ready, so I can only assume if it supports all that, it's what I need for HDR.

Yep, it will work. The HDMI cable business is a weird one but anything that says high speed will get you what you need.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
So for someone who hasn't got the time for a whole lot of research (which kills me because researching this type of stuff is my jam), is there anything I should know or pitfalls before I just pull the trigger on this? Need 4K and HDR working where applicable.

65" KS8000
Xbox One S
Sound to follow...maybe pick up the Samsung soundbar with subwoofer

I'm going to Best Buy because returnability is important, and they are currently extending returns to 1/15 instead of the usual 14 days.

Primarily for movies, Netflix HBO etc. have some blu rays and interested in the 4K blu rays as well. Not a big sports watcher or gamer but both will happen occasionally. Super bowl, will play a couple games etc. Done a little research on content, I assume an appletv will work (but not 4K or hdr I realize), but not positive exactly what apps are on Xbox and tv itself.

What do I need for cables to get everything running? I'm not ashamed to return poo poo like cables and the soundbar as those are the things I've done no research on. I know I can do monoprice cables but I'm not gonna wait on them right now.

This is going to be the test to see if I can live with the KS8000 vs the LG B6, I've seen them side by side and while the LG is sexy I can probably live without the upgrade.

I'll probably grab a 4K blu ray and a game or two. What's better, latest halo or gears of war?

Oh and is there an equivalent standard awesome 4k blu ray like Planet Earth was when I bought a Blu Ray player?

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

It still may be worth calling Cleveland Plasma.

Have you bought from them?