Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and with the German GP out, they moved Baku so it's not conflicting with Le Mans anymore, so at least /something/ good came out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Paul Ricard isn't suitable for spectators is it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

julian assflange posted:

Neither is F1 right now, to be fair.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

I like it, but I'm not sure it exists in the real world

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just finished watching the '98 season review and I am so loving angry that Hockenheim got hosed into a DTM circuit. It pisses me off enough that they're loving with the holy ground that is Monza, but Hockenheim was an awesome circuit yet they couldn't help gently caress it up.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Alain Post posted:

I love Macau because it's basically like someone designed a track with the goal of making it as likely as possible to have a horrible crash on it

The government was giving out some ridiculous financial incentives for the kart race if you just turned up at the starting grid to the point where it looked like I you could feasibly turn a profit just by showing up with a kart. I don't think it would be impossible for F1 to race there, if there's money Bernie will sign.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
A new USA RACE at Road America. F1 will be fixed forever.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

julian assflange posted:

gently caress seeing those stripes on TV.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GramCracker posted:

Road America kicks lots of rear end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

:allears:

As long as they don't make any changes to it, anyway (and you know they'll want to).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I think Baku did such a great job we should just race there 20 times, anybody?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm the front wheels that don't turn when the steering wheel does

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

enri posted:

I think Baku did such a great job we should just race there 20 times, anybody?
Do they have burgers at the concession stands at Baku? Can I get one well done?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

Just finished watching the '98 season review and I am so loving angry that Hockenheim got hosed into a DTM circuit. It pisses me off enough that they're loving with the holy ground that is Monza, but Hockenheim was an awesome circuit yet they couldn't help gently caress it up.

A little while ago I played Hockenheim on the PSone F1 '98.
Hell of a track.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Hockenheim is a farce now. They should just bulldoze the rest.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hockenheim is the one "classic" circuit that I wouldn't really be disappointed about if it shut down. It's just so bad. As far as I'm concerned, that circuit died when they got rid of the forest section.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

George Zimmer posted:

Hockenheim is the one "classic" circuit that I wouldn't really be disappointed about if it shut down. It's just so bad. As far as I'm concerned, that circuit died when they got rid of the forest section.

Not totally sure... but I think the forest section went because TV coverage was poor, such a sad reason if right

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

If the forest section of Hockenheim had never existed nobody would be saying 'ugh it's such an awful circuit bulldoze it and salt the earth'. The track suffers from the comparison with what had been there before but it isn't any worse than half the tracks on the current F1 calendar.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

None of the old layouts are ever coming back so why waste the calories?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The old Hockenheim was usually a complete snoozefest. New layout, with all it's faults, is way better.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
This is the worst thread, I assure you we all have excess calories.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

None of the old layouts are ever coming back so why waste the calories?

Because salt miners need jobs

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The old Hockenheim was usually a complete snoozefest. New layout, with all it's faults, is way better.

It's not. Thank you for boring-rear end medium downforce circuit #463.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If the forest section of Hockenheim had never existed nobody would be saying 'ugh it's such an awful circuit bulldoze it and salt the earth'. The track suffers from the comparison with what had been there before but it isn't any worse than half the tracks on the current F1 calendar.

Yeah but most F1 tracks suck rear end. Big part of the general loss of spectacle the product suffers from.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Wasn't Turkey universally praised by the drivers then dumped off the schedule?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Turkey was good, as are Sepang and COTA. Korea was decent too.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Yeah but most F1 tracks suck rear end. Big part of the general loss of spectacle the product suffers from.

Also the inability to make the cars work well on the classic circuits (see: Monza).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TBH Hockenheim's old layout would probably be somewhat boring because we don't push engines to the limits anymore in F1. But it was still spectacular, and the stadium section always made it a fun challenge to set a car up for.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I tend to focus on places like Hockenheim specifically because circuits like it were already endangered by 2001. Monza and Austria are the last of the really "fast" circuits.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'd argue that Austria is pretty gimped as well compared to the old layout.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The old layout was awesome but it was pretty apparent why it was changed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And this is why I don't want F1 coming to Road America because they will try to change it.

Because someone will bitch that Turn 5 is too hard :qq:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Austria isn't nearly as good as the O-Ring, but it's done a decent job at keeping the spirit of the track alive, far more than Hockenheim, anyway. It helps that it usually produces a good race.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's (Austria) a good "compromise circuit" like Fuji's 3rd revision prior to mutilation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a weird soft spot for mutilated Fuji. Maybe because the 2008 race there kicked rear end.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
It'll never happen, but it would be cool if the old public road circuits came back. Montjuïch, Claremont Ferrand, or Rouen. That used to be a big, big part of the sport, and it's virtually gone except for Singapore and Monaco, which are tight and slow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

George Zimmer posted:

It'll never happen, but it would be cool if the old public road circuits came back. Montjuïch, Claremont Ferrand, or Rouen. That used to be a big, big part of the sport, and it's virtually gone except for Singapore and Monaco, which are tight and slow.

Melbourne, Sochi (Tilke), Montreal, and Baku (Tilke) are all street courses.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Melbourne and Montreal are technically racetracks that are also public roads, not the other way around. Forgot about Baku and Sochi, but can you blame me?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm suprised Baku got approved to be honest. It included pretty much everything F1 circuits have tried moving away from on safety grounds over the past 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm suprised Baku got approved to be honest. It included pretty much everything F1 circuits have tried moving away from on safety grounds over the past 20 years.

Loads of dosh for the Bernie, that's how.

• Locked thread