Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/804141668547051520

Whoa, turns out September callups are still a thing after all. Great news IMO, they give fans of losing teams something to get excited about late in the season. The extra roster spot would've been nice but not worth the tradeoff.

efb i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ESPN posted:

New 5-year labor agreement is in place now 26 consecutive years of labor peace. Big win for clubs is year 5 luxury tax threshold will max out at $210 million. No 26-man roster. International signings will have cap of 6m per team. Teams will not forfeit first round picks for signing free agents. More to come

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/804021763558567936
Cutch is going to get traded to some great team and become a great player again while the Pirates get jackshit for him.

Everything Boras said about the Pirates being a cheapskate organization is true.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rand alPaul posted:

Everything Boras said about the Pirates being a cheapskate organization is true.

Back when I was in high school, like 1997-98ish, I thought Boras was one step down from Satan.

Nowadays, I fear for where the MLBPA would be today without the work of him and Don Fehr.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
What does that mean luxury tax maxes out at 210?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Does the no comp picks thing go into effect now for current FAs or later?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

Rosenthal said that an idea floated a few hours ago was a spending cap on international amateurs (meaning pro leagues like Japan would be excluded), which seems like something the Steinbrenners would be giddy over.

Why would this make Hal happy? The Yankees spent $17m in signing bonuses in 2014-15.

Hand Row posted:

It goes up every year(?) until it hits 210 at which point I guess it will be re-negotiated?

EDIT: Yup
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/804143020241207297

Also the new highest tax rates are like 60-70% instead of 50%.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 1, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think it has more to do with them not wanting to pay a declining player when his contract expires and their window having closed, but ya ok.

To be fair the Pirates did just kinda give up last year. Even ~mid way through the season when they were in contention they ended up trading away dudes. Their window does appear to have closed but it sorta seems self inflicted this early.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hand Row posted:

Drastically slows the growth of the luxury tax threshold, meaning that in the final year of the deal, any club with a payroll over $210 million would be paying the tax.

Sounds like something the Steinbrenners, Rickettses, Dodgers ownership, probably Henry's group and maybe a few other big spenders that might have a window closing five years from now (and therefore might sign absurd contracts in the next year or two) would fight for.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

Drastically slows the growth of the luxury tax threshold, meaning that in the final year of the deal, any club with a payroll over $210 million would be paying the tax.

Sounds like something the Steinbrenners, Rickettses, Dodgers ownership, probably Henry's group and maybe a few other big spenders that might have a window closing five years from now (and therefore might sign absurd contracts in the next year or two) would fight for.

Again I'm confused by your logic of why the big-spending teams would want the tax threshold lower.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Did Jayson Stark (I think it's him, anyway) ever write that end of year article about all the statistically weird crap that happened during the season?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

To be fair the Pirates did just kinda give up last year. Even ~mid way through the season when they were in contention they ended up trading away dudes. Their window does appear to have closed but it sorta seems self inflicted this early.

I think its more that they have a bunch of guys that hit their prime in two years and realized they were hosed for this past season and next unless everything went exactly right.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The Pussy Boss posted:

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/804141668547051520

Whoa, turns out September callups are still a thing after all. Great news IMO, they give fans of losing teams something to get excited about late in the season. The extra roster spot would've been nice but not worth the tradeoff.

efb i guess

They really need to have some kind of limit on usage of expanded roster players, though. It's really dumb that the last month of the season is essentially a completely different ruleset than the the rest of it. Also watching a million pitching changes sucks.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's encouraging that the talks didn't drag on for very long. It's almost like both sides still remember the lessons from 1994.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sportsgenius86 posted:

No they don't give an iota of poo poo about that. It's money plain and simple.

Money drives everything for them and they will take a pittance for Cutch so long as someone assumes the entire contract.

They'll ask for top prospects in return because anyone would, but they will absolutely take poo poo in return if someone eats all of the salary and the whole league knows it.
The Pirates are basically run like a scam to get old people to relive their childhoods at Forbes Field, to have boomer parents take their kids and grandkids to the park because of nostalgia for the 70s, and by having bobblehead nights, fireworks, and classic rock/bro country bands play to get the crowds going like the goddamn suckers that they are.

If I was a multibillonaire owner I would run the Pirates like they were originally run, by being Piratical drat it!! :argh:

That or if I was the mayor I would try to prevent the team from playing at home until Bob Nutting would be forced to step down and allow say Mark Cuban to buy the team. I would probably be thrown in jail, but that would mainly be because I would also be trying to destroy the FOP.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bad boy in the boy band posted:

It's encouraging that the talks didn't drag on for very long. It's almost like both sides still remember the lessons from 1994.
Or both sides are making money hand over fist these days and realize it's dumb to rock the boat. Maybe that's the same thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

bawfuls posted:

Or both sides are making money hand over fist these days and realize it's dumb to rock the boat. Maybe that's the same thing.

Yeah, it's the same thing.

Although I'm pretty sure the players weren't hurting for money back in '94, either.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Yeah, it's the same thing.

Although I'm pretty sure the players weren't hurting for money back in '94, either.

Do you even remember what the reason for the strike was?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think its more that they have a bunch of guys that hit their prime in two years and realized they were hosed for this past season and next unless everything went exactly right.

You're somewhat correct.

It comes down to the fact that you're almost never going to have a large window if you aren't willing to invest during that window to keep it alive.

They have zero interest in infusing more money into the team to make the window longer. Ownership is content with a brief window in order to keep their payroll low. They could very easily contend still with a some investment but they don't want to.

Because they don't want to do that this year or next, they look at large deals and try to get rid of them because if they're not going to contend, they may as well spend less money to not contend.

The primary purpose of the cutch talks is to not have to pay his salary. If they can get good return, they obviously will, but if they can only get a return that is meh and still offload that salary, they will because Pirates.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 1, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The new QO system is horrible

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

N: The A's revenue sharing is finally being phased out.

V: :unsmigghh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Harlock posted:

The new QO system is horrible

I keep seeing more and more conditions being added to it...

But all of this is ignoring the really important part:
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/804169455051874304

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

Last remaining player eligible to chew will receive a farewell tour from Skoal.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rand alPaul posted:

Last remaining player eligible to chew will receive a farewell tour from Skoal.

maybe addison russell as he is a literal baby

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess it's better that the QO tagged player or whatever you want to call them will only cost a team a 3rd rounder (or 2nd and 5th if it is a luxury tax team), but that whole system is dumb. I get that it's to try and keep players from leaving as easily but it really hasn't done anything to prevent that. It worked slightly better in the NBA where a player's previous team can offer one additional guaranteed year beyond what the others can, but still not that great

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I know it's gross and totally out of date. But I really liked that players were still allowed to chew. Its such a weird antiquated thing that would never happen in any other major sport.

Nothing like seeing some dude with a massive mullet and a giant wad in his mouth catching a line drive to make you feel patriotic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That went out of style after Brett Butler got mouth cancer from it, if I recall

Keith Law is saying that the hard cap for international signings is worse than the international draft. I assume this is the major concession the union made (which doesn't technically affect them anyway as those players would likely not be MLBPA members for awhile).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

good

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Who even put it on the table though? It seems like a weird thing to really need to codify.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Poque posted:

maybe addison russell as he is a literal baby

Yesterday I found out he had a kid last year at the age of 21. That made me feel weird.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Inspector_666 posted:

Who even put it on the table though? It seems like a weird thing to really need to codify.

Oh trust me, there's a lot of strange stuff in the CBA.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Inspector_666 posted:

It's been a rule in the minors for quite some time, but also seems like something that would be a pain in the rear end to enforce so maybe it's just going to be a "not on the field and not on TV" thing for PR purposes. Why fight it anyway? Would you want to be the guy asked on national TV why you were holding up a deal and risking a lockout (that would never happen in a million years) for a wad of chaw?

There was a minor kerfuffle in spring training since the city of Chicago banned it's use in stadiums for this year but a couple weeks into the season Russell was right back there with a pinch handful between the cheek and gums.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's been a rule in the minors for quite some time, but also seems like something that would be a pain in the rear end to enforce so maybe it's just going to be a "not on the field and not on TV" thing for PR purposes. Why fight it anyway? Would you want to be the guy asked on national TV why you were holding up a deal and risking a lockout (that would never happen in a million years) for a wad of chaw?

There was a minor kerfuffle in spring training since the city of Chicago banned it's use in stadiums for this year but a couple weeks into the season Russell was right back there with a pinch handful between the cheek and gums.

I understand why it wasn't a sticking point, I'm just wondering if the MLBPA or owners were the ones who laid it out to begin with.

I assume it was the owners and it's due to pressure from the TV stations?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The $5 million international cap is just a cap on signing bonuses, right?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

Damnit, I know it's gross and totally out of date. But I really liked that players were still allowed to chew. Its such a weird antiquated thing that would never happen in any other major sport.

Nothing like seeing some dude with a massive mullet and a giant wad in his mouth catching a line drive to make you feel patriotic.

I support a players right to chew just as I'd support a fatso DH the right to mainline cheeseburgers after that game. Yes, you are a poor example for the kids and its terrible for you, but goddammmit this is America. Whats next we tell players they cant bareback hookers and do coke?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Yeah, that's dumb as poo poo

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

patonthebach posted:

I support a players right to chew just as I'd support a fatso DH the right to mainline cheeseburgers after that game. Yes, you are a poor example for the kids and its terrible for you, but goddammmit this is America. Whats next we tell players they cant bareback hookers and do coke?

One of the most vivid memories of my adolescence was watching a washed up Steve Balboni boarding the bus from Des Moines to Omaha (2 hour drive tops?) on getaway night with a sanitary sock full of beers over his shoulder, a bucket of KFC in his other arm, and a clubhouse attendant following with another full bag of various groceries. God Bless America.

I also remember batboys regularly carrying loads of tobacco from the clubhouse to the Iowa Cubs dugout, which I found weird since every player seemed to already have either a can of copenhagen or pouch of Levi Garrett in their pocket, and a very deep conversation involving former Expos pitcher Bob Sebra and another pitcher on why he could never dip while he was actually on the mound. IIRC it was because it messed with his balance.

Inspector_666 posted:

I assume it was the owners and it's due to pressure from the TV stations?

Breaking news from 2021! MLB has banned any and all crotch related activities between the hours of 7-10PM and during all postseason games.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

This article is really cool.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess there are rumors that the Astros and EE have a deal in place?

I will call this a successful offseason if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
:siren: MOST IMPORTANT CHANGE IN THE NEW CBA :siren:

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/804225218457858048

• Locked thread