Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Just caught up. This show is bonkers and I can't stop watching it :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This episode was great.

Except for the Triads using the Chinese Cultural Center as a front for an excuse to make it seem like Chinese people literally have honor duels with swords as a standard part of doing business. That was pretty bad. If the fight choreography had been there, it might have been worth it, but it just wasn't.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I want to say that's valid but then courtrooms generally don't work like they did in the episode either. On the other hand that dude was there with those swords handy. I still don't think that was something they'd normally do without a certain... uh, person convincing them.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zebulon posted:

Oh gently caress. Chloe might literally be a scion.

Wasn't that a car by Ford?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

No, you're thinking about the Ford LTD. The "scion" is a real-sounding fake thing created for the movie Dogma.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Aleph Null posted:

It's all like KAKOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fvOg13V5mI

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tarlibone posted:

No, you're thinking about the Ford LTD. The "scion" is a real-sounding fake thing created for the movie Dogma.

A scion is just an heir or descendant. It's not really all that made up.

It's also a car manufactured by Toyota

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So maybe she is a Prius? :confused:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

A scion is just an heir or descendant. It's not really all that made up.

In a general sense, that's true. But, being used as a title to indicate some relationship to God, as would be the context here? That pretty much came from the people who came up with Dogma. This question actually came up before, and in this thread if I recall correctly.

Bozart posted:

So maybe she is a Prius? :confused:

She's... the last Prius.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Titan posted:

Amenadiel probably just made the impossible possible. A couple couldn't conceive and he just made it happen anyway. Nothing funky.
So is it going to turn out that God also arranged for Chloe's Dad to be murdered, on order to set her on her path to be a Detective and meet up with Luci?

... Oh poo poo. God was trying to create Batman.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Robot Hobo posted:

So is it going to turn out that God also arranged for Chloe's Dad to be murdered, on order to set her on her path to be a Detective and meet up with Luci?

... Oh poo poo. God was trying to create Batman.

God has been trying for untold millennia to create Batman. He has yet to be successful.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Titan posted:

God has been trying for untold millennia to create Batman. He has yet to be successful.
It's the only reason we're all still alive. I read it in the bible when I was 8.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Titan posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

In a general sense, that's true. But, being used as a title to indicate some relationship to God, as would be the context here? That pretty much came from the people who came up with Dogma.
I'm pretty sure Dogma just used it in its ordinary English sense. The protagonist was a scion of Christ, meaning that she was descended from him, and she was the last one because she was incapable of having children (until God healed her at the end). It's people who didn't know that "scion" was a word when they watched the film who put that extra meaning onto it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure Dogma just used it in its ordinary English sense. The protagonist was a scion of Christ, meaning that she was descended from him, and she was the last one because she was incapable of having children (until God healed her at the end). It's people who didn't know that "scion" was a word when they watched the film who put that extra meaning onto it.

No, they're clearly giving the term some serious importance, not just using it as a matter-of-face "oh hey, she happens to be the last living descendant of the Lord, neat!" When the prophets and the apostle kick Batman and Bourne off the train, they are a bit shaken by the fact that The Scion is in on the plan to stop them. Yes, the title "The Last Scion" contains pre-existing English words, but they are given extra weight for plot purposes: the last scion isn't given a title just because those words happen to fit; being the last scion is actually an important thing in the Christian mythos. Except... it isn't, not really. But in Dogma, it is--again, for plot.

The movie's main characters are angels, demons, prophets, muses, an apostle, God(dess), and the last scion. Which one of those things had nobody ever heard of within the context of being important in Christianity prior to the moving coming out? I'll bet you most believers (or at least a poo poo-ton of them) don't even believe Jesus had any direct descendants.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how Jesus had any descendants in Dogma. Do Catholics believe he had kids?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Snak posted:

I don't understand how Jesus had any descendants in Dogma. Do Catholics believe he had kids?

if memory serves it was more like he had nieces/nephews

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Snak posted:

Dude got around in the 20 or so years that aren't in the Bible.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

if memory serves it was more like he had nieces/nephews

Yeah IIRC he had at least one brother----James? I think? Or Simon? Possibly both of those?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Haven't seen this show, but what is "Lux"? They're filming this show at my workplace this week, and all the signs say "Lux" on them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Haven't seen this show, but what is "Lux"? They're filming this show at my workplace this week, and all the signs say "Lux" on them.

Lucifer's nightclub

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

No, they're clearly giving the term some serious importance, not just using it as a matter-of-face "oh hey, she happens to be the last living descendant of the Lord, neat!"

The important thing is that she's the descendent of Jesus, not the words they're using to convey that concept. They people attaching importance to her in the film aren't doing so because "the last scion" is a mythical or prophesied thing, it's because she's a descendent of Jesus.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Check the show out. S2 is better than S1, the police procedural stuff sucks, but the show is pretty good somehow despite that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Khorne posted:

Check the show out. S2 is better than S1, the police procedural stuff sucks, but the show is pretty good somehow despite that.

Yeah, I thought I might as well after curiosity got me seeing them film.

It's at a hospital, and the signs for filming point to "Chloe's Room" and "Lucifer's Room", so SPOILERS! They end up in a hospital at some point. Maybe Lucifer breaks his dick, and has to get supernatural-surgery.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snak posted:

Not really, but there are some official/unofficial things about him having a relationship with Mary Magdelene.

Doesn't mean much, because he also was a bit homosexual with one of his disciples in the Bible.

The Gospel of John, chapter 13:23 & 25 posted:

Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved...

He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Not really, but there are some official/unofficial things about him having a relationship with Mary Magdelene.

Doesn't mean much, because he also was a bit homosexual with one of his disciples in the Bible.

No, I get that, but Dogma is about how if Catholic Dogma was right about everything it'd be dumb and there'd be a big contradiction and God would have made a mistake and creation would be undone. So like, if Catholics don't believe Jesus had any kids, why is a descendant of a Jesus part of the premise of Dogma?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Can you guys explain what a scion is and why Chloe may be one for those of us that don't read any of the comics or the Bible?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snak posted:

No, I get that, but Dogma is about how if Catholic Dogma was right about everything it'd be dumb and there'd be a big contradiction and God would have made a mistake and creation would be undone. So like, if Catholics don't believe Jesus had any kids, why is a descendant of a Jesus part of the premise of Dogma?

Typical mixing up of terms probably. There are some catholic traditions regarding the people descended from Jesus's extended family/siblings, but not anything official about Jesus himself having any kids or spouses.

Also, keep in mind that Kevin Smith is a hack film writer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Scion just means descendant (or heir). That's it. In the lovely Kevin Smith film Dogma, The Last Scion refers to the last living descendant of Jesus.

That's it. There's nothing else to explain, because there is no mainstream theological or mythological discussion about "The Last Scion" or scion's of Jesus in general that would be applicable to "so angels and mrs. god are real..."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can you guys explain what a scion is and why Chloe may be one for those of us that don't read any of the comics or the Bible?

It literally just means "heir". So Solomon was David's scion, etc.

Why a particular line of cars made by Toyota use the term is a mystery.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Scion's just a cool word. The original Tomb Raider was all about retrieving a lost Atlantian artifact called The Scion.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

She is the result of direct divine intervention, though, which is apparently what makes her special. God had Amanadiel bless Chloe's parents so they could have a child even though it should have been physically impossible. Some of that divinity rubbed off on Chloe. She's not a descendant of Christ or anything like that. I'm not even sure where that idea came from. Calling her a scion or the scion doesn't make any sense.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
God's probably just sitting there with a beer in his La-Z-God in the Silver City just laughing and going "Would you look at these assholes?" to the Holy Spirit. They're seriously just all running around according to plan, far as I can tell. He's probably trying to make a point of some sort.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Echophonic posted:

God's probably just sitting there with a beer in his La-Z-God in the Silver City just laughing and going "Would you look at these assholes?" to the Holy Spirit. They're seriously just all running around according to plan, far as I can tell. He's probably trying to make a point of some sort.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing the words ~*~mysterious ways~*~ at least once in-show.

If something unexpected actually happened he'd go "I meant for that to happen" and instantly have a new plan. Because God, duh.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
So, even Uriel's annihilation was God's plan? poo poo, that guy really was an unlikable doof.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Aleph Null posted:

So, even Uriel's annihilation was God's plan? poo poo, that guy really was an unlikable doof.

Before it happened? :iiam: After, though? Definitely. :v:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Aleph Null posted:

It was interesting, the episode after Lucifer killed his brother there were multiple times a random person would encounter him and say something like, "Oh it's ok, it isn't your fault". Like 3 times in an episode. I wonder if there's been any other instances of "maybe god talking through people"?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

JossiRossi posted:

It was interesting, the episode after Lucifer killed his brother there were multiple times a random person would encounter him and say something like, "Oh it's ok, it isn't your fault". Like 3 times in an episode. I wonder if there's been any other instances of "maybe god talking through people"?

You're right! I caught that when I watched it but promptly forgot.
Could be? The writers seem pretty clever.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Astrofig posted:

Yeah IIRC he had at least one brother----James? I think? Or Simon? Possibly both of those?

I believe his name was Craig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

I believe his name was Craig.

good ol' stephen lynch. wonder what he's doing these days

• Locked thread