Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Dilbert Fanclub President posted:

It was the glasses and his over the top personality and his taunt dance and "OH YEAH"

The way this board feels about Alexa is how I feel about Percy. You know, minus the creepy perverted poo poo.

The taunt and OH YEAH, and also the pointing to his rear end which says OH YEAH on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It's an unjust world where Percy Watson never made the main roster and Dolph Ziggler still has a job.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Youtube took down the video of down on his luck Percy being sad that Darren left FCW to be in the Nexus and showcased his substandard harmonica skills and that makes me very sad

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Percy took a beating from a-ry during the nxt season 2 cluster gently caress and they were on the same drat team

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CubsWoo posted:

Youtube took down the video of down on his luck Percy being sad that Darren left FCW to be in the Nexus and showcased his substandard harmonica skills and that makes me very sad

This was the best thing to come out of that entire set of NXTs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Here are the full spoilers for the tapings

December 7th Episode:

* NXT Tag Team Champions Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa came out to a pop and greeted fans throughout the crowd. They entered the ring for a promo but The Authors of Pain came out before they could talk. Paul Ellering spoke from the top of the ramp about how they should be champions but The Revival’s music hit and they came out to the stage. Fans chanted “you tapped out!” as they head to the ring. Dawson starts talking about getting their rematch. The Authors come down the ramp and push The Revival down. Ellering got back on the mic and said the next chapter will read The Authors of Pain as the next NXT Tag Team Champions. The Authors, then The Revival head back up the ramp. DIY leaves the ring without ever getting the mic.

* Alexander Wolfe and Eric Young defeated No Way Jose and WWE Cruiserweight Champion Rich Swann. The crowd popped for everyone during their entrances. Before the match, Young stomped on Sawyer Fulton’s jacket and threw it out of the ring. Sanity dominated most of the match, beating down Swann for a long period of time. Jose got a hot tag and cleaned house. Big Damo showed up outside of the ring and slammed Jose against the ring post. EY pulled Jose into the ring and hit a modified cutter-neckbreaker for the pin. Damo left by himself up the ramp and chucked a Sanity jacket on the ground. It was not clear if he’s with them or not.

* Ember Moon defeated Queen Kimber, who was used as an enhancement talent. She actually got some offense in but Ember howled and hit her finisher for the quick win.

* Tucker Knight and Otis Dozovic defeated enhancement talents Johnny Knockout and Bradene Knight. Crowd chanted “big, sweaty men!” as Otis and Tucker dominated the match. Otis hit his finisher for the win. They were both very over with the crowd and worked well together, very agile.

December 14th Episode:

* Tye Dillinger comes out and it’s announced that there will be 4 matches to decide who will compete in a Fatal 4 Way to decide a new #1 contender. Eric Young and Sanity are out next. Eric Young vs. Tye Dillinger lasts about a minute as Nikki Cross interferes and attacks Dillinger. Dillinger wins by DQ. Big Damo shows up again and decimates Dillinger in the ring. Damo walks up the ramp past Sanity and leaves on his own again. It should be noted that Sawyer Fulton has been absent tonight.

* Andrade “Cien” Almas defeated No Way Jose to qualify for the Fatal 4 Way. This was a good back and forth match. Almas hit a modified DDT for the win.

* Roderick Strong defeated Elias Samson to qualify for the Fatal 4 Way. Samson was booed mercifully as he played his guitar. Elias got in a bunch of early offense but Strong got the pin in around 3 minutes.

* Bobby Roode defeated Oney Lorcan to qualify for the Fatal 4 Way. Lorcan got a good pop from the crowd but nothing compared to Roode… it was glorious! Lorcan got some stiff European uppercuts in. Roode hit the Glorious Drop for the win.

* Peyton Royce defeated Sarah Bridges (Crazy Mary Dobson). Bridges looked very impressive with early offense and was over with the crowd. Royce ends up getting the pin with a fisherman’s suplex

* Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Patrick Clark in under 4 minutes. There was some flamboyant comedy by Clark but Nakamura ends the match quickly.

December 21st Episode:

* Billie Kay defeated Daria with her big boot finisher thanks to outside interference from Peyton Royce. Billie takes the mic after the match but the crowd drowns her out with boos. The match lasted less than 3 minutes.

* The Authors of Pain squashed two enhancement talents. This was a serious beatdown. The referee stopped the match before they could hit their finisher. Trainers come out and check on one of the wrestlers. Paul Ellering gets on the mic and says they don’t care who they face – DIY or The Revival, they will be winning the titles in San Antonio at Takeover.

* Bobby Roode defeated Andrade “Cien” Almas, Tye Dillinger and Roderick Strong in a Fatal 4 Way Elimination Match to become the new #1 contender. Strong and Almas were in the ring a lot early on. Lots of stiff shots by Almas. The first elimination came at 11:20 as Strong pinned Almas. The second elimination came at 13:00 when Tye pinned Strong. Roode then pinned Dillinger at the 18:25 mark to become the new #1 contender.

* NXT Tag Team Champions Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa retained over Dash and Dawson in their Takeover: Toronto rematch. Good back and forth match as always between these two teams. DIY dominated more than they did at Takeover. They hit their finisher around the 12:00 mark to retain and end the tapings

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Shoulda been Almas

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol that Neville was the last non indie darling to be in the NXT title picture

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

bradzilla posted:

Uh

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I miss Neville. Rip you dirty gremlin.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

bradzilla posted:

Dragon Gate isn't an indie?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

bradzilla posted:

noted non indie star neville

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

the only 2 guys that weren't indy guys to win the belt were bo dallas and big e

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

The best part of that video is Heath Slater having to turn around because he was corpsing so hard.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Dragon Gate isn't an indie?

By Japan standards yes, but I have a tough time classifing them as an indie though as it's a nationally touring promotion with an incredibly packed schedule (more dates than NJPW!) and the 2nd most sucessful fed there rn.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Thauros posted:

By Japan standards yes, but I have a tough time classifing them as an indie though as it's a nationally touring promotion with an incredibly packed schedule (more dates than NJPW!) and the 2nd most sucessful fed there rn.

if nakamura is being considered an indie darling then idk how you don't consider neville one lol

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The change in NXT had less to do with the presence of indie stars and more to do with the swelling of the roster and increase in complexity of the product as Takeovers became more frequent. You go back to the old Takeovers and you'd have (1) the NXT championship main (2) Women's Title match (3) Tag Title match (4) and then (5) one or two more matches that were either debuts or undercard matches, if not a #1 contender bout.

The difference between now and then is that the undercard's upward mobility is gone. A big debut or an undercard win at Takeover felt like it was pointing in a direction, and that could take them to the main event. If the crowd got behind them, that could actually happen, and when they didn't it felt like a story even when they got swatted down. Contrast with Roddy Strong, whose debut was a shrug in every sense, or Ember Moon, who had all the markings of a Joe or Asuka-grade gatecrashing but has been wasted to RAW degrees. Very few wanted Baron Corbin to enter the NXT title picture but it seemed plausible that he could. Contrast that with Tye, who many want to see in the title picture but whose stature is such that no one would believe he could win it. Sami Zayn was a guy who could make a valiant effort and lose and still be someone who you could believe had what it took deep down to get to the top. Giving Tye the same treatment would ring false.

There are tops guys and there's everyone else. That has little to do with indie rep itself and more to do with the booking's tendency to let that rep do the heavy lifting when a guy debuts. Generico and PAC benefited from debuting as guys like any other, after which they were booked strongly and their background doled out bit by bit to establish them (it also allowed crowd favorite undercard guys like Tyler Breeze and underrated vets like Tyson Kidd to rise to the top). Finn also benefited from this, to an extent. So did DIY (whose level of indie fame was more on PAC's level than Finn's). But Owens' debut picked up a very specific story that had been strongly established elsewhere. After that every main event guy has been a debut at the high end of the card. Hell, Andrade was a guy whose introduction echoed other successful NXT guys, but by the time he arrived the top card was too ossified to allow him any momentum at all. Now he's in limbo along with everyone else who isn't Roode, Nak or Joe.

As the rovert of NXT alarmism, I've been saying all this two weeks ago, for months.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 1, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Does it feel to you that Bobby Roode has been building steam to a title shot, or was he just the next guy in line? Feels like the latter to me. All they had to do was make "earning a shot at the championship" his stated goal, which they did not do. The guys only realize the NXT championship is a thing once its current program is over. Another major change from old NXT.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Basic Chunnel posted:

Does it feel to you that Bobby Roode has been building steam to a title shot, or was he just the next guy in line? Feels like the latter to me. All they had to do was make "earning a shot at the championship" his stated goal, which they did not do. The guys only realize the NXT championship is a thing once its current program is over. Another major change from old NXT.

Roode is certainly just the next guy in line. There's a pretty large gap between Nakamura/Joe and the rest of the roster. NXT over time has gotten worse at building guys up. Owens, Balor, Nakamura, and Joe felt like stars the second they walked in due to the buzz they had pre-NXT so they didn't really have to do much to get them over as main eventers. I thought they did a really good job at building Neville, Zayn, and Breeze. Since then the only guys that it seems NXT has boosted are Roode and Dillinger and both of them still aren't guys I'd be dying to see in a Takeover main event.

Mainly because Roode's appeal is greatly reduced once his entrance is over and he starts wrestling.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

schweens posted:

Mainly because Roode's appeal is greatly reduced once his entrance is over and he starts wrestling.

When Roode showed up I was wondering why people who watched TNA were calling him Diet Triple H. Then I saw him wrestle and I was like holy poo poo, that is so accurate.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

How was Neville built as a character in NXT? I was watching back then but I can't think of much of anything they did (or have since done) to establish his character. I still really have no idea who or what he's supposed to be.

By comparison, Roode already seems more established as a personality than Neville ever has been.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Bo Dallas was able to get anyone over back in NXT. That's how. Then once he won the title, he went after the other biggest personality in NXT, Tyler Breeze. Also Tyson Kidd was good, and that's a fact.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Senerio posted:

Also Tyson Kidd was good, and that's a fact.

:smith:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Neville didn't have a lot of personality, but he did pretty well playing the "straight man" to the more colorful characters he feuded with.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

It's a drat shame that probably the second most memorable aspect of his career will be "Natty's husband" chants.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Yeah, it's a shame, but at least he was one of the anchors of good NXT along with Sami, Tyler, and Neville.

I still remember when someone got real mad that Tyler Breeze had the audacity to beat Sami Zayn while not being an Indie darling. Still my favorite NXT memory.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fumaofthelake posted:

It's a drat shame that probably the second most memorable aspect of his career will be "Natty's husband" chants.

To be fair those were great chants

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dragon gate isnt an indie but dgusa was

also pwg chikara etc.

roh isn't an indie anymore but was when steen left imo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Senerio posted:

Bo Dallas was able to get anyone over back in NXT. That's how. Then once he won the title, he went after the other biggest personality in NXT, Tyler Breeze. Also Tyson Kidd was good, and that's a fact.

I think there's a certain amount that one character can be established in opposition to another character (Sami benefited a lot from this against Owens), but once you take Dallas or Breeze away, who was/is Neville?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

He was a spectacular, jacked high flyer. He was a white meat face champ who did a real good job of working tweener against the whitest meat face, Sami Zayn

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think there's a certain amount that one character can be established in opposition to another character (Sami benefited a lot from this against Owens), but once you take Dallas or Breeze away, who was/is Neville?

The straight man to all the comedy acts, and the final obstacle Sami had to face to win his title.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Senerio posted:

The straight man to all the comedy acts, and the final obstacle Sami had to face to win his title.

Well that and successfully walking up stairs

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
No the stairs was after KO was champ, I thought. What I'm saying is, Sami's title win was the impetus for the shift from "build up guys outside of their indie fame" to "bring in guys because of their indie fame"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

He was a white meat face champ who did a real good job of working tweener against the whitest meat face, Sami Zayn

See, that's kind of my point. They did an awesome job of introducing an element of him being conflicted, and then rocketed him right back into being a white meat face without ever acknowledging or revisiting that element with anyone else. If that'd been the beginning of a heel turn or if they'd left him as a tweener, I'd say that Zayn match definitely counts as character development, but since they did nothing with it, it was just a forgettable thing that happened. Then, when he was called up, his only development was when they gave him a cape.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You're not wrong but, you're also wrong. Having a defined, immediately recognizable character does you no favors in the transition from NXT to the main roster. Rusev is the exception that proves the rule

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

You're not wrong but, you're also wrong. Having a defined, immediately recognizable character does you no favors in the transition from NXT to the main roster. Rusev is the exception that proves the rule

It's not an indicator of success, certainly. There have been people with more and less of a character that have worked out, but what I'm talking about is the idea that Neville was somehow more established as a character than newer signings like Roode or even Jose. Like:

quote:

...PAC benefited from debuting as guys like any other, after which they were booked strongly and their background doled out bit by bit to establish them.

What background?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Neville/Zayn is still imo contending for the greatest feud, and the greatest match, NXT has ever seen

Which makes their current nothing going on even more saddening

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Chris James 2 posted:

Neville/Zayn is still imo contending for the greatest feud, and the greatest match, NXT has ever seen

Which makes their current nothing going on even more saddening

also the best after-match even though that had nothing to do with neville, its what set it all up for that moment

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

What background?
Just "he was in Japan". Might have even mentioned DG at some point, NXT was always a little looser with these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
back when Sami was feuding with Cesaro, who was a Real American at the time, people got all excited that Zeb alluded to his indie times, because that clearly meant El Generico was debuting soon. These are the hilarious things I remember from NXT.