Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Now I'm confused what's this then?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379330

quote:

You can upgrade your Amazon Music storage plan, so that you can store up to 250,000 imported songs in supported file types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also in smarthome deals, one of the Alexa deals today is a "works with Alexa" TP Link smart plug for $17.50 instead of $30.
I bought this the last time it was on special and it's great fun.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

(at least in america)

- Amazon Music Storage. This is the one where you can upload your music into their cloud for use on the Echo. Max 250,000 songs for $24.99/year
- Amazon Unlimited. This is Amazon's spotify clone. $7.99 a month. It does not include Music Storage.
- Amazon Drive Unlimited Storage. This is what WithoutTheFezOn was talking about. $60 a year to put whatever you want into their cloud. It does not include Music Storage. You could upload your MP3s for backup but you couldn't access them on your Echo or through the Amazon Music app.

Yeah. It's stupid and confusing.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 28, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you get a "works with Alexa" plug and have some lights through a hub, say, can you build a scene that controls all of them at once?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Subjunctive posted:

If you get a "works with Alexa" plug and have some lights through a hub, say, can you build a scene that controls all of them at once?
I assume so, through Alexa groups. You can put multiple devices into groups, so you should be able to, say, make a group called Goon that includes your lights and the plug, then tell Alexa "turn on Goon" and it'll turn them all on.

If you read the last page I'm not having luck with hue scenes and Alexa, but I assume if scenes work for you, you can put a scene into the group (since Alexa sees scenes as devices).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got this for free (echo) for upselling subscriptions at work, and now I want to get an echo dot for the living room/bedroom and bathroom. It's not even that good, but it's cool I guess.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Chinese Company Reveals Amazon Echo Competitor 'LingLong DingDong'

:colbert:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Just gonna say, the "simple remote" is a really good remote. It's missing home automation things of the companion but the physical buttons are top notch and the fact that it has numbers puts it well above the much more expensive models.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Just gonna say, the "simple remote" is a really good remote. It's missing home automation things of the companion but the physical buttons are top notch and the fact that it has numbers puts it well above the much more expensive models.

Agree, the "simple" remote is a really good remote, unless you need to control a shitload of activities get it. Sometimes simple is good, in this case it means it has physical buttons for everything and works exactly as you expect.

Side note, anyone using Echo side by side with Google Home? I was planning on buying Echo dots for my house but I bought a Google Home and impulsively and found out I am getting one for Christmas so I bought Chromecast audios for the rest of my speakers.

I've used Alexa sparingly though my Fire TV voice remote and I have found that Google Home works tons better. I mean the only conceivable thing that I think I would use Alexa over Google Home is ordering stuff off of Amazon and I have an Amazon Dash scanner in my kitchen for that.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Three Olives posted:

Side note, anyone using Echo side by side with Google Home? I was planning on buying Echo dots for my house but I bought a Google Home and impulsively and found out I am getting one for Christmas so I bought Chromecast audios for the rest of my speakers.

I have both, I tend to use the Google Home more but that may just be a placement thing (Alexa in the kitchen, Home in my living room). Home is more convenient for me since I use Google Music already. I do like ordering things via Alexa though, and occasionally having it read Audible books to me while I do cook / do dishes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Glimm posted:

I have both, I tend to use the Google Home more but that may just be a placement thing (Alexa in the kitchen, Home in my living room). Home is more convenient for me since I use Google Music already. I do like ordering things via Alexa though, and occasionally having it read Audible books to me while I do cook / do dishes.

Actually that is one of my major driving features, I am incredibly happy with Google Music and $400 seems like an incredibly cheap price for a whole house music system. Google Dots would be cheaper but I would have to switch off Google Music and the overall feature set seems worse, like being able to Google Cast to all the devices in my house including the Google Homes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Three Olives posted:

Actually that is one of my major driving features, I am incredibly happy with Google Music and $400 seems like an incredibly cheap price for a whole house music system. Google Dots would be cheaper but I would have to switch off Google Music and the overall feature set seems worse, like being able to Google Cast to all the devices in my house including the Google Homes.

That's a feature you know that Amazon has to working on. My Fire TVs and my tablet already show in the alexa app (even though I can't remotely control them yet)

But like everything regarding this, it all depends on what ecosystem you're in. Use alot of google poo poo, you'll love google's hardware. Use alot of amazon poo poo, you'll love amazon's hardware. Use alot of apple poo poo and you can ask novelty questions to siri ;)

On a serious note, if you have a Echo, you absolutely need to pay the $25 and upload all your music to their cloud. It makes it so much more useful.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 29, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So this morning, with no changes or actions on my part, no power cycles or reboots or anything, using Alexa to control Hue scenes just started working. Go figure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Firmware update?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

Amazon’s next Alexa-enabled device will likely be a premium speaker with a 7-inch touchscreen, according to Bloomberg. The new product will have an array of always listening microphones, like the Amazon Echo, for hands-free voice functionality. The speakers themselves will be better sounding than the ones in the Echo and the new device will run an optimized version of Fire OS.

Rumors of a new Alexa-enabled device with a screen have been circulating for over a year now, with the most solid news up until now coming this past May from The WSJ. Bloomberg’s sources say the new device will launch as soon as the first quarter of 2017.

The included display on the new device will be used to show additional information to supplement what’s provided audibly by Alexa, much like the Alexa cards seen on the Fire TV. The screen is said to be tiltable so that it can be seen while standing directly above the new speaker. Alexa-enabled devices can already display similar additional information via Voicecast on compatible Fire tablets, so this new product will likely be an expansion of that concept. Amazon has been pushing Alexa Skill developers to display visual cards in the Alexa app in conjuction with auible responses. Those cards will likely be a key component to this new product.

Sources say the new speaker will run an optimized version of Fire OS, which means software-wise, it will be related more to the Fire TV than to the existing Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Tap devices. With Fire OS onboard, you may be able to watch movies and shows on it, as a small countertop TV. There may also be the possibility of it running full Android apps.

The Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Tap are expected to stay in production, so this new device will likely be priced higher than the Echo, at above $180, as the premium offering. Considering it is said to play high-quality audio at all volume levels, I expect it will be priced well above the Echo.

I wonder if this is the long rumored Kitchen model they've been working on forever.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-is-making-a-premium-echo-with-7-inch-touchscreen-running-fire-os/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Subjunctive posted:

Firmware update?
No idea. Those are silent, I assume? The Alexa app tells me the Dot software version is 564186420 and the Amazon web page says the current version is 561179520. No idea what version it was yesterday.

On a different note, in my Alexa app under devices it now shows "<name>'s 2nd Echo Dot". They just shipped my second one today, so I guess they automatically link it by default? That would be handy, except this new one is going to be a Christmas gift (I see the "Deregister" button).

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No idea. Those are silent, I assume? The Alexa app tells me the Dot software version is 564186420 and the Amazon web page says the current version is 561179520. No idea what version it was yesterday.

On a different note, in my Alexa app under devices it now shows "<name>'s 2nd Echo Dot". They just shipped my second one today, so I guess they automatically link it by default? That would be handy, except this new one is going to be a Christmas gift (I see the "Deregister" button).

Yeah I just ordered two more echo dots over the holiday weekend and they showed up in the Alexa app not long after I placed my order. Pretty handy, and they're relatively easy to get off your account.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Protip: if you mark the order as a gift while checking out, it won't register the device to your account.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

Protip: if you mark the order as a gift while checking out, it won't register the device to your account.

No ordering process should be that intelligent. It just ain't proper.

Actually it's probably an indication they are making WAY too much money it'd they have resources for more than just cashing checks and shipping goods.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

porkface posted:

No ordering process should be that intelligent. It just ain't proper.

Actually it's probably an indication they are making WAY too much money it'd they have resources for more than just cashing checks and shipping goods.

Guess you missed the past number of years where they've been creating devices and content then. Amazon is more than an ecommerce site now :ssh:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Got two dots yesterday to add to my original big Echo and I'm very happy with them already. Like others mentioned they were added to my alexa account before they had arrived and setup for both of them only took like five minutes. The ESL feature seems to work really well as I tested it from lots of different vantage points between the two closest units and the correct one always responded.

These things just need to become location aware for default tasks like turning on lights or tv equipment and I will buy one for every room in the house. I don't want to have to say bedroom lights off when I'm talking to my bedroom echo, so hopefully this is the next big thing they work on.

I will probably also get whatever kitchen model they produce because as much as I love my echo for timers and measurements, it would be ten times better if it would also display the information on a screen so I can look at it again 30 second later, after I forgot what she said.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

housefly posted:

Guess you missed the past number of years where they've been creating devices and content then. Amazon is more than an ecommerce site now :ssh:

There's a solid argument to be made that Amazon is a cloud services company that happens to also have an ecommerce subsidiary.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I will probably also get whatever kitchen model they produce because as much as I love my echo for timers and measurements, it would be ten times better if it would also display the information on a screen so I can look at it again 30 second later, after I forgot what she said.

You can already do this with their $50 tablet and voicecast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHDjwrUvXnM

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrYenko posted:

There's a solid argument to be made that Amazon is a cloud services company that happens to also have an ecommerce subsidiary.
They consider their three pillars to be retail, Amazon Prime, and AWS, so they're equal parts of the company in their eyes.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can already do this with their $50 tablet and voicecast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHDjwrUvXnM

Funny enough I got one of their tablets on BF for $35. I was just starting to play with this functionality last night, but when I setup a timer all it did was show that I had started a timer but didn't show it counting down. Guess I'll have to play with it a bit more to see if this really meets my needs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Can someone confirm/deny that you can now use Alexa and a Harmony hub without a Smartthings hub in between? I'm pretty sure you guys used to say you needed the ST, but it seems they may have changed that about a month ago?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Can someone confirm/deny that you can now use Alexa and a Harmony hub without a Smartthings hub in between? I'm pretty sure you guys used to say you needed the ST, but it seems they may have changed that about a month ago?
I haven't actually used it yet, because it requires activities to be built in harmony, but there's a Harmony Smart Home skill that can be installed via the Alexa app, and I installed and linked it without problem.

I've always had trouble getting harmony activities to actually work, so that's my obstacle for now, sadly.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Just this week they announced a service to generate text to speech, and one for building chat bots, and also one for doing image recognition. So even if their products aren't a huge success they can market the back end services.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I do not own a Smartthings hub and I can tell my Alexa to perform my Harmony activities just fine. About a month ago things changed and it works out of the box if you're using the Harmony skill (just like Hue lightbulbs). Prior to the change a month or so ago, I had to use IFTTT to make it work.

Prior to a month ago I said this (my harmony activity is called "tv"):

Alexa, trigger tv (trigger is the IFTTT skill trigger word)

After the change I say this:

Alexa, turn on tv

Basically it recognizes an activity as a device I guess. Because I can also say "Alexa, turn on sink" and she turns on the light above my kitchen sink which is listed as a device.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Alright, thanks for the confirmation. Was hoping to avoid an extra hub, but figured I'd check before the ST $50 sale ended.

On a side note, my wife is absolutely giddy about the Dot/speaker/Hue setup we installed last week (and even went from "Who needs to listen to music" to "sign me up for Amazon Music Unlimited"). Tonight she's going to flip when (hopefully) the TP Link plug lets her say "Alexa, turn on the Christmas tree". And next week if she can just say "Alexa turn on/off the TV" my standing as Awesome Man will be cemented. For a while, at least.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW0MvKkXNJg

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

This is a dumb product and I don't know how it made it this far. The only place this makes sense is a bedroom nightstand and you don't need two Alexa devices and who buys a super unique table lamp and doesn't want a matched pair?

And the thing is, it doesn't have to be bad, it could have been a fully integrated Alexa device, color temps for reading or simulated sunrise wake up, instead it is a big giant dumb expensive Echo for no apparent reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nice, good idea actually.

Alexa, play booty music.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Three Olives posted:

This is a dumb product and I don't know how it made it this far. The only place this makes sense is a bedroom nightstand and you don't need two Alexa devices and who buys a super unique table lamp and doesn't want a matched pair?

And the thing is, it doesn't have to be bad, it could have been a fully integrated Alexa device, color temps for reading or simulated sunrise wake up, instead it is a big giant dumb expensive Echo for no apparent reason.

Good point about wanting matching lights. If this thing is cheap enough it may be a good product. Especially if they sell a matching one that doesn't have Alexa.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Almost a good idea.

Three Olives posted:

The only place this makes sense is a bedroom nightstand
Basement or garage spring to mind, but for those you'd probably want a decent speaker also built in (which I'm guessing that won't have judging by the size of the base). Like an Echolamp instead of a Dotlamp.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I've been tempted to pick up a Dot since it's only £50, but it seems that the Google Home is far better at answering questions and being intelligent than Amazon?

I think if I were to buy one of these things I'd like it for the ability to not just ask for radio/music etc, but also the ability to ask general knowledge questions and get back results. Should I get a Home instead then?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WMain00 posted:

I've been tempted to pick up a Dot since it's only £50, but it seems that the Google Home is far better at answering questions and being intelligent than Amazon?

I think if I were to buy one of these things I'd like it for the ability to not just ask for radio/music etc, but also the ability to ask general knowledge questions and get back results. Should I get a Home instead then?

I think it really depends on what you mean by questions. The wikipedia feature is good, you can ask it random trivia questions, sports scores, weather, basic questions, ask for a audio flash briefing. Outside of that, it's kinda dumb compared to Google Home (from what I read)

If that's the only reason you want one, I'd pass all together. You won't get much use out of it after the shiny toy period wears off.

My everyday use of the Echo is much more mundane. Set a timer, play some music, spell this word, turn on a light. It does have a Jeopardy skill which I always use to show off to guests.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there even a Home release date for the UK? I'd get the Dot now you might be waiting a while and you can always use it in another room if you get a Home in the future.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hmmm, good point. Could be ages yet before Google gets round to it and at least the Dot is cheap.

I'd probably buy some Hue lights later if I'm enjoying it.

Would like to know when IFTTT is coming out to UK, but I suppose its possible to work around that from what I'm reading on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm really hoping IFTTT is soon.