Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

quote:

A witness, who declined to give her name, said she was leaving a store in the area when she saw a man at the intersection yelling at another man, who was trying to apologize. The man who was yelling shot the other man more than once, she said.

She said the shooter shot the man, stood over him and said "I told you don't you f--- with me." Then he fired again, she said.

Ugh that's awful :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Dog posted:

Ahh, I remembered that National Championship game, I'd forgotten that it was that same year OU got trounced by KSU.

Michael Bishop was probably KSU's best player ever right? Or maybe Martin Gramatica.

Bishop, Sproles, and Gramatica are all in the running for best ever. I am also biased and would probably put Tyler Lockett and Klein on that list, but that's because I got to go to the Cotton and Fiesta Bowls with the band (:smuggo:). Bishop led them to a 33-4 record in three years, Sproles achieved apotheosis against OU, Gramatica still holds the record for longest field goal in football history (65 yards against NIU).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

PrinceRandom posted:

I hope the sec sweeps this bowl season cause this reverse circlejerk is getting annoying

i hope they lose every game and bama gets blasted by the real dawgs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Ahh, I remembered that National Championship game, I'd forgotten that it was that same year OU got trounced by KSU.

Michael Bishop was probably KSU's best player ever right? Or maybe Martin Gramatica.

It's Sproles.

E: beaten kinda but still

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

-1998: KSU upset by A&M

That was a weird year.

UCLA was really good and maybe undefeated with Cade McNown and Skip Hicks. They lost to USC or something at the end of the year and fell out of contention.

Arkansas almost upset Tennessee in the SECCG but Clint Stoerner had to drop the goddamned football trying to keep his balance.

Kansas St was awesome with Michael Bishop but then they lost to A&M.

So Tennessee lucked their way through the season. FSU skated in despite losing Weinke, and then couldn't beat UT with Marcus Outzen.

Strange season, y'all.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

Hurts isn't a very good passer yet but he doesn't gently caress up a ton and creates a few big plays a game with his legs and that's really all Bama needs out of him.

Saban hasn't really had to rely on astounding QB play outside of some inspired final drives vs. LSU. Responsible game managers protected by NFL-bound linemen and NFL-bound RBs are what he wants. If he had a Cam Newton or Tim Tebow the NCAA would have to legislate a mercy rule.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Saban hasn't really had to rely on astounding QB play outside of some inspired final drives vs. LSU. Responsible game managers protected by NFL-bound linemen and NFL-bound RBs are what he wants. If he had a Cam Newton or Tim Tebow the NCAA would have to legislate a mercy rule.

McCarron and McElroy had that Ken Dorsey Force of Nature Inevitability Quality where if they got the ball back you knew they could distribute it well enough to do whatever needed to happen to win.

Like whenever Derek Bell used to play the Braves. Seemed like he got a gamewinning hit every loving time.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

LeeMajors posted:

That was a weird year.

UCLA was really good and maybe undefeated with Cade McNown and Skip Hicks. They lost to USC or something at the end of the year and fell out of contention.

Arkansas almost upset Tennessee in the SECCG but Clint Stoerner had to drop the goddamned football trying to keep his balance.

Kansas St was awesome with Michael Bishop but then they lost to A&M.

So Tennessee lucked their way through the season. FSU skated in despite losing Weinke, and then couldn't beat UT with Marcus Outzen.

Strange season, y'all.

Ohio State blew a big lead at home to Michigan State for their only loss.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

McCarron and McElroy had that Ken Dorsey Force of Nature Inevitability Quality where if they got the ball back you knew they could distribute it well enough to do whatever needed to happen to win.

Like whenever Derek Bell used to play the Braves. Seemed like he got a gamewinning hit every loving time.

McCarron shouldn't have been a Heisman candidate but he was really good and people here went way too far the other direction because of the media overrating him a bit. He was better than most of the other Saban QBs by a pretty decent margin (although McElroy's senior year was really good too)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 2, 2016

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Ken Dorsey was proof that anyone could QB behind a 100% fully NFL-ready OL and an ungodly amount of skill position talent.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I would not want this as an official. Some guys are gonna get exposed if not on the broadcast in their evaluation since their supervisors will be able to ACTUALLY SEE WHERE THEY WERE LOOKING.

As a fan this is cool. As an official I would want no part of it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I would not want this as an official. Some guys are gonna get exposed if not on the broadcast in their evaluation since their supervisors will be able to ACTUALLY SEE WHERE THEY WERE LOOKING.

As a fan this is cool. As an official I would want no part of it.
I think there's a chance it gets them some sympathy when people see/experience how hard it is for themselves. Maybe.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Crotch Bat posted:

Ken Dorsey was proof that anyone could QB behind a 100% fully NFL-ready OL and an ungodly amount of skill position talent.

Ken Dorsey literally played on a team full of perennial Pro-Bowlers on both O and D.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Ken Dorsey literally played on a team full of perennial Pro-Bowlers on both O and D.

He was a Heisman finalist twice, and some people were actually mad he didn't win it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

I disagree.

He was a noodle-armed dork, but he never made a bad decision. I don't think he would've been nearly as successful elsewhere bc he couldn't carry a team by himself, but he was no slouch.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
People forget McCarron needed surgery almost his entire senior year on his throwing shoulder

Dude's no derek carr but his arm wasn't that bad

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Saban QB ranking

1. Greg McElroy
2. AJ McCarron
3. Jalen Hurts
4. Blake Sims

6. Jake Coker

Let's pray that Saban never gets an actually great QB

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Saban QB ranking

1. Greg McElroy
2. AJ McCarron
3. Jalen Hurts
4. Blake Sims

6. Jake Coker

Let's pray that Saban never gets an actually great QB

Decided to look up the non-Bama QBs he's had. The best I guess are:

Tony Banks (inherited)
Josh Booty (inherited)
Rohan Davey
Matt Mauck

He recruited Jamarcus but he didn't play much while Saban was there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Tony Banks (inherited)
Josh Booty (inherited)
Rohan Davey
Matt Mauck

Bill Burke was alright.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Tony Banks (inherited)
Josh Booty (inherited)
Rohan Davey
Matt Mauck

Rohan Davey was the proto Jamarcus Russell and was pretty loving good.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

I disagree.

He was a noodle-armed dork, but he never made a bad decision. I don't think he would've been nearly as successful elsewhere bc he couldn't carry a team by himself, but he was no slouch.

I don't think our positions are mutually exclusive and I don't disagree with yours.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't think our positions are mutually exclusive and I don't disagree with yours.

Fair enough. I agree with your overall point, just maybe not that Dorsey is the best example of it. 98 Tee Martin? Gino Toretta?

Man, those 00-02 Miami teams though...holy gently caress.

Berlin didn't do nearly as well with similar talent.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Someone on ESPN tried to make an argument that Dorsey should win the Heisman as a career achievement award and thats about the time I really stopped paying attention to the Heisman and it hasn't really gotten any better.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Someone on ESPN tried to make an argument that Dorsey should win the Heisman as a career achievement award and thats about the time I really stopped paying attention to the Heisman and it hasn't really gotten any better.

Well, he lost in 2001 to the ultimate career-achievement winner Eric Crouch (should've gone to Grossman), and was way down the ballot behind Palmer/Banks in 02 (I still think Banks deserved it more).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Well, he lost in 2001 to the ultimate career-achievement winner Eric Crouch (should've gone to Grossman), and was way down the ballot behind Palmer/Banks in 02 (I still think Banks deserved it more).

Eric Crouch was at least a good college quarterback though and doesn't deserve in any way to be compared to Dorsey (and trust me it loving pains me to say this). Grossman was screwed by antiquated 'can't give it to freshman or sophomores' thinking. That stuff is still around but a little less than it used to be at least.

Dorsey didn't deserve to be a finalist either time he was there. Insert random other Miami starter and he'd be a more worthwhile Heisman vote.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I love brad banks but nah. If anyone on that Iowa team deserved it it was Eric Steinbach

Grittybeard posted:

Tony Banks (inherited)
Josh Booty (inherited)
Rohan Davey
Matt Mauck

Russell played in the 2005 Cap One Bowl as the like third QB they tried against a really good Iowa defense and nearly engineered a massive comeback

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 2, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I love brad banks but nah. If anyone on that Iowa team deserved it it was Eric Steinbach

He was way more important to his team and surrounded by less talent than Palmer as well as having a much more efficient season.

Grittybeard posted:

Eric Crouch was at least a good college quarterback though and doesn't deserve in any way to be compared to Dorsey (and trust me it loving pains me to say this). Grossman was screwed by antiquated 'can't give it to freshman or sophomores' thinking. That stuff is still around but a little less than it used to be at least.

Dorsey didn't deserve to be a finalist either time he was there. Insert random other Miami starter and he'd be a more worthwhile Heisman vote.

Crouch was one hell of a running back who was asked to occasionally throw a football, but Dorsey was the superior QB. Crouch was 29TD/25INT in his career, compared to 86/28 for Dorsey.

I know they were asked to do different things, but Crouch is like poster boy for career achievement Heisman. And he basically won on that highlight TD reception against OU.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing that Dorsey is some ubertalented god-king QB--but he was the ultimate cool customer game manager who made few mistakes and was clutch as gently caress. See: basically all his games against FSU.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 2, 2016

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
jalen hurts is actually the goat and when his receivers start running the right routes he will be unstoppable!!!

Scionix fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 2, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

He was way more important to his team and surrounded by less talent than Palmer as well as having a much more efficient season.

Man i watched like literally every snap of his career. He really wasn't. 2002 Iowa had one of the best offensive lines in history and the offense was built around the running game and a shitload of screen passes where the line blew the defense 10 yards off the ball. He also had a potential future NFL hall of famer at TE as his safety blanket. He was really good for what he was but he was like maybe the 10th best player on his own team and wasn't really asked to do a ton (which is a big part of the reason he was so efficient). I'm not sure Palmer deserved the Heisman either (I would have voted for Larry Johnson that year) but he was a better quarterback than Banks.

Remember the 2003 Iowa team that obliterated Florida in the Outback Bowl and could seemingly get 6-10 yards every time they ran the ball? 2002 was that oline but with two other all Americans and future high draft picks on it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Aw dawg, we talking about 00s Iowa? I had no idea Bob Sanders was nominated to the NFL HoF until just recently

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

in my sober and unbiased view, every early 2000s Heisman should have gone to Zak "The Overwhelming Amount of K Sounds" Kustok

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Crouch was one hell of a running back who was asked to occasionally throw a football, but Dorsey was the superior QB. Crouch was 29TD/25INT in his career, compared to 86/28 for Dorsey.

I know they were asked to do different things, but Crouch is like poster boy for career achievement Heisman. And he basically won on that highlight TD reception against OU.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing that Dorsey is some ubertalented god-king QB--but he was the ultimate cool customer game manager who made few mistakes and was clutch as gently caress. See: basically all his games against FSU.

You're not going to find an argument from me that Crouch probably didn't deserve that Heisman. What you will find from me is an argument against the idea that he deserved it less than Ken Dorsey, who built that pretty TD/INT ration by throwing the same type of ducks to not just superior athletes but ridiculously superior almost shouldn't be on the same field athletes over and over again. Maybe Dorsey's ducks were a little better, but that doesn't make up for the running game and his team probably actually being better for Crouch's being on the field.

Let's drop this before I remember that Crouch actually whined and cried about not getting a chance at QB in the NFL. gently caress I feel dirty already.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Let's drop this before I remember that Crouch actually whined and cried about not getting a chance at QB in the NFL. gently caress I feel dirty already.

Wait, post more about this, I had no idea.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Chris Weinke didn't deserve the Heisman over Drew Brees, while we are on the subject of ducks turned into catches by amazing receivers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Komet posted:

Chris Weinke didn't deserve the Heisman over Drew Brees, while we are on the subject of ducks turned into catches by amazing receivers.
Ease up, spicy boy, on the hot take you have there. Chris Weinke was both Cool and Good (in college).

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 2, 2016

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

LeeMajors posted:

Not that it matters that much, but that was in the regular season, not the CG. Both teams entered the game undefeated. I forget the score (28-24? 28-22?), but I do remember that we played them the next year in Fayetteville and we beat them by the exact same score.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/jbook37/status/804525416408940544

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Chris Weinke led the country in passing yards and yards per attempt and was second in TDs and passer rating. He was an incredible college player. People only think he was a bad Heisman winner because he was a bad pro and Drew Brees became Drew Brees. Brees attempted like 100 more passes playing in a super QB friendly offense in a conference that was so bad Northwestern literally won it and his numbers still weren't all that close.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 2, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Man i watched like literally every snap of his career. He really wasn't.

I'll totally abdicate since I didn't watch all the Iowa games that year, but my prevailing memory was a bit different. I think we can agree that Brad Banks is cool and good and I really wish you guys had won that Orange Bowl.

Grittybeard posted:

You're not going to find an argument from me that Crouch probably didn't deserve that Heisman. What you will find from me is an argument against the idea that he deserved it less than Ken Dorsey, who built that pretty TD/INT ration by throwing the same type of ducks to not just superior athletes but ridiculously superior almost shouldn't be on the same field athletes over and over again. Maybe Dorsey's ducks were a little better, but that doesn't make up for the running game and his team probably actually being better for Crouch's being on the field.

But Ken Dorsey didn't win the Heisman? I'm not even saying he should've won it over anyone because I don't believe that--but he was a pretty fantastic college QB with good stats, accurate throws and great decision making. He wasn't Toretta with Miami winning in spite of his incompetence.

I would :lol: at Crouch whining about the QB thing but I watched Tebow basically resist position changes in the NFL and change sports over that kind of thing so I'll pipe down.

FakePoet posted:

Not that it matters that much, but that was in the regular season, not the CG. Both teams entered the game undefeated. I forget the score (28-24? 28-22?), but I do remember that we played them the next year in Fayetteville and we beat them by the exact same score.

Ah gently caress, memory got me again.. Wasn't it late in the season too? I just remember there being a week or two of chaos at the end where poo poo was kind of upended with the KSU/UCLA/Arkansas kind of falling apart. I was really pulling for KSU to make a run bc Bishop was awesome and Gramatica was kicking the stuffing out of footballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Komet posted:

Heisman voting that year

1. Chris Weinke, Florida State (1628 points)
2. Josh Heupel, Oklahoma (1552 points)
3. Drew Brees, Purdue (619 points)
4. LaDainian Tomlinson, TCU (566 points)
5. Damien Anderson, Northwestern (101 points)

• Locked thread