Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Just curious, which part of that sounds wrong?

It varies regionally, but a southerner would most probably say either "ring a dingy-dong on up" or "get on the hollerbox."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The Fallout 4 sexuality arguments again

FF15: Ignis, can we stop having this discussion every time I want to drive my car at night?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Does the combat in Witcher 3 suck? I feel like it kind of does. The lock-on blocks my view of the opponent and it's hard to tell sometimes whether I hit them or they dodged. The camera angle is too low to judge distances. The thing that really bugs me though is that if you swing your sword from out of range Geralt does this awful, slow pirouette jump slash that takes way longer, so you can't swing early to intercept a guy moving toward you. Am i missing something here

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

swamp waste posted:

Does the combat in Witcher 3 suck? I feel like it kind of does. The lock-on blocks my view of the opponent and it's hard to tell sometimes whether I hit them or they dodged. The camera angle is too low to judge distances. The thing that really bugs me though is that if you swing your sword from out of range Geralt does this awful, slow pirouette jump slash that takes way longer, so you can't swing early to intercept a guy moving toward you. Am i missing something here

yeah, I though it sucked

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I felt the same. I don't know, the combat in 1 and 2 was a slog to begin with but then somehow just clicked for me, which it never did in the like, 5 hours I played 3

And gently caress trying to jump back into that game, like, what the gently caress was I even doing? What did I choose? How do I play the game?? I guess I better restart the whole shebang...

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And gently caress trying to jump back into that game, like, what the gently caress was I even doing? What did I choose? How do I play the game?? I guess I better restart the whole shebang...

I have this issue with jrpgs but every time you load a save dandelion should explain the main story mission you have to do next

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I have this issue with jrpgs but every time you load a save dandelion should explain the main story mission you have to do next
The issue was more just how the heck do I fight? I'd just finished the Dishonored DLC and the uhh, whiplash between how those games are completely responsive while Geralt felt like I was trying to control a string-puppet while drunk was just, way too big

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So there's a digimon MMO on steam now. It seems pretty hosed up and weirdly made, but more importantly; it crashes if I try to set it to windowed mode.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The issue was more just how the heck do I fight? I'd just finished the Dishonored DLC and the uhh, whiplash between how those games are completely responsive while Geralt felt like I was trying to control a string-puppet while drunk was just, way too big

treat it like an action game with some input lag. x for quick attacks, y for strong ones, and pull rt whenever you see the targeted enemy flash red

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

Thinking that "role-playing game" means that you can play any role you like is super dumb. Even pen & paper RPGs have restrictions of setting and theme, and computer games obviously can't give you the freedom that pen & paper games can. Complaining that a video game doesn't let you play as Doctor Who is like complaining that a Chinese restaurant doesn't serve pizza.

Perhaps a goon has in fact misrepresented something in order to lay down sick burns, and nobody was ever expecting to play Literally Doctor Who in a Fallout game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Perhaps a goon has in fact misrepresented something in order to lay down sick burns, and nobody was ever expecting to play Literally Doctor Who in a Fallout game.

I beg to differ

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50132/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, if you want that experience, you go play Don't Starve.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

John Murdoch posted:

I know. But the sort of complaints people were making about that game weren't much different. "The role they expect me to play in this role playing game is not the role I would have chosen if I'd made it myself." Have you never played a video game before? That's how they work.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tiggum posted:

"The role they expect me to play in this role playing game is not the role I would have chosen if I'd made it myself." Have you never played a video game before? That's how they work.

The previous games, including back to ye olde isometric 1 and 2, just gave you a good vague background to go off. Fallout 1: You're a resident of Vault 13 tasked to go find a new water chip. Fallout 2: You're a tribal from Arroyo sent to find a GECK for your village. Now the issue in 4 is that you're not given that, you're given THIS IS YOU, YOU ARE [Nate/Nora], THIS IS YOUR [Wife/Husband], YOU LOVE THEM, THIS IS YOUR CHILD, YOU LOVE HIM. Yes, I know many other RPGs make you play a more already-made-up character, the problem there is that Fallout 4's PC is also not as good as those at being a plain old character either. Then even if you go by the "But just don't ever do the story, don't pay attention to it!" stuff, it STILL manages to worm it's way in often enough just because so much of the FO4 main character's motivation anyway is still SHAAAAAAAUN, SHAUN?!

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Dec 2, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

I know. But the sort of complaints people were making about that game weren't much different. "The role they expect me to play in this role playing game is not the role I would have chosen if I'd made it myself." Have you never played a video game before? That's how they work.

The rigidity of Fallout 4's player character and who they are, how they act, how they react to things etc. is pretty much unheard of in the series so far. The rest of the Fallout games give you practically a blank slate, but 4 is not so. The problem is that the game still pretends as if you have that illusion of freedom to be whoever you want, but it doesn't give you that freedom in reality, so you end up with 4 dialogue choices and 3 of them say basically the same exact thing (sometimes without even a variance in how nice you are to the person, the most basic character-building thing) and 1 says 'where is son'.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

swamp waste posted:

I thought i was the only one that hated the stupid spin jump attack. I think that's why combat feels so slow, because you do a great leap at them while they smack you

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

spit on my clit posted:

also where is the "shut up ellen page" option

it would be very strange to have such a button in the last of us, a game that does not in any way have anything to do with ellen page, at all

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm really glad I went into FO4 wanting to play as a violent good dad, the only problem with it was you can't immediately shoot Father-Shaun (well you can, but the doors lock and you lose the game).

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

theres a main quest?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The rigidity of Fallout 4's player character and who they are, how they act, how they react to things etc. is pretty much unheard of in the series so far. The rest of the Fallout games give you practically a blank slate, but 4 is not so. The problem is that the game still pretends as if you have that illusion of freedom to be whoever you want, but it doesn't give you that freedom in reality, so you end up with 4 dialogue choices and 3 of them say basically the same exact thing (sometimes without even a variance in how nice you are to the person, the most basic character-building thing) and 1 says 'where is son'.

It's a huge problem, too, because it's so at odds against the gameplay. You're forced to go through a brief section where you're a kind and loving father/mother, get out of the vault and are forced to be concerned about your dead spouse and missing kid. Then can gently caress off and turn into a drunken cannibal and never think about your family again until the plot once more turns you into a kind and loving daddy, all while you're gnawing on some human bones.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you cant catch shiny ultra beasts in the new pokemon. there goes a few days worth of trying to get a glistening buzzwole

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

It's a huge problem, too, because it's so at odds against the gameplay. You're forced to go through a brief section where you're a kind and loving father/mother, get out of the vault and are forced to be concerned about your dead spouse and missing kid. Then can gently caress off and turn into a drunken cannibal and never think about your family again until the plot once more turns you into a kind and loving daddy, all while you're gnawing on some human bones.

Why not see it as an end to your goal of cannibalism and eat your son?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Tardcore posted:

Remember, Misterbibs is the guy that couldn't beat Super Mario Galaxy 2 without save states

That can't be true. My 12 year old daughter beat that game without trouble.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I played Assassin's Creed (again), and everything that's wrong with it came flooding back.

- 480 collectible, 'find-its" throughout the game with no indication of where they are
- Zero reward for said collectibles
- All difficulty increases come in the form of "just put more poo poo in there" - see: beggars, drunks/insane people, informed guards, roof archers, minor-quest assassination targets. By the last mission, if you get found, it takes *minutes* to hide again, because every corner you turn is full of guards.
- Quitting the game takes about 15 mouse/keyboard clicks with 2-3 loading screens. Takes a few minutes (though ctrl+alt+del works well). (Exit memory > Are you sure?? > Loading > Exit Animus > Animation > Exit game > ARE YOU SURE??? > Load profile > pick profile > Loading > Quit Game > ARE YOU SURE?!?!?!?! > Done)
- No assassinations from above, you have to plonk down next to them, and hope you didn't alert anyone.
- 4~ish types of minor quests lead to every assassination, over and over again, for the entire game.
- They had the resources to hire many voice actors, for various locations, yet gave them all the exact same dialogue.
- Half the time, my jumps lose all momentum mid-jump, and I drop straight down.
- Not only equipment, but mechanics are withheld from you at the beginning of the game, especially the ability to grab a ledge as you fall.
- Story and dialogue are a baffling mish-mash of nonsense masquerading as thought-provoking moral ambiguity.
- "This game was developed by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs" feels like: 60 atheists, 4 Christians, and a Muslim.

Ugh.

So now I'm a man that has beaten this game twice. I still like it. I've kind of made a meta-game out of using the lovely, lovely controls to still somehow be sly and sneaky. Also, I like what you can miss if you don't look for it - e.g. all the things you can read in the Abstergo lab; getting actually useful assassination hints by reading the evidence you collect. It's still one of those games that's much better than the sum of its parts. It's not a 'great' game; but with all that's wrong with it, it should be much, much shittier.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

you cant catch shiny ultra beasts in the new pokemon. there goes a few days worth of trying to get a glistening buzzwole

I think they stopped that in X and Y.

Leal posted:

Why not see it as an end to your goal of cannibalism and eat your son?

It is. It's just weird that my rear end in a top hat characterer just flips right back into being a nice guy as soon as the plot comes up. It just makes the whole game feel off in a way that the previous voiceless :geno: dudes didn't.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The music in Planet Coaster is abominable.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

treat it like an action game with some input lag. x for quick attacks, y for strong ones, and pull rt whenever you see the targeted enemy flash red
It's just, bad? Like, I kinda remember how to do things but it's just not terribly fun to go through in teh same way 1&2 were

Speaking of playing old classics and bad things: holy crap the boss design in Prototype is a fuming piece of poo poo for the last two. Hope you enjoy not actually using any of your powers or anything like that and instead just running away and riding tanks/helicopters/throwing poo poo at the boss!

Now I'm gonna replay 2 and pre-emptively I want to poo poo on it for taking the admittedly not super deep story of 1 that still had some promise and turning it into terrible boring garbage. The difference between the sweetness of the gameplay and the awfulness of the story is almost stunning.

I still think they should make a 3 in England and make it comedic. It lends itself so well to jokes after all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fallout 4 is at least more bearable as a woman because her voice acting is way better IMO, she actually does a very good job with the lines she's given (the problem is that they are not good lines)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The one thing I will give them is that the male protag sure does sound like a dad-as-hell dad. If the kid was like 12 instead of a newborn I would just assume his voice acting is intentionally portraying a "normal guy with a kid who is super not an action hero" character or whathaveyou.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Digirat posted:

Fallout 4 is at least more bearable as a woman because her voice acting is way better IMO, she actually does a very good job with the lines she's given (the problem is that they are not good lines)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_i6Ewj1cLk&t=4s

Who would think that "Will you comply" could be made funny.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So what you're saying is that it went from a shooter/RPG into a first-person open world game?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Thing dragging Fallout 4 down, voiced protagonist, for the love of god I hope they learned to just drop it.

Not only were they plain old not good and kinda damaged the whole RP aspect, you have to assume that the writing also taking a dive more than usual is a side-effect of that as well. With every single 'extra' line having a price tag on it now, it was even more reason for them to not make that great of divergent paths in dialogue, not take your skills into account for dialogue checks, not really allow for very interesting ways to take your character in personality other than "Milquetoast as hell dad/mom" also just because no matter what you do in 4, you're almost always taken like just a swell guy even if you're trying to be evil or dickish any chance given, because I guess reputations were too good of a thing to keep around.

It's not even a HEH GOONS AMIRITE thing either, it looked like a bunch of even your average whoever gamers didn't really like it either, either because again they thought the VAs were bad or because it felt like there was less meaningful and less in general dialogue than ever. Also before the bad argument comes, yes, the game sold plenty, it's a friggin AAA game from a dev that gets an insane amount of slack cut to them so of course it did, things have still changed in massively selling AAA games because people didn't like parts.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Dec 2, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also Fallout 4 constantly has the problem of your character not saying what the loving menu option says because the menu option is 2 or 3 words like [HATE NEWSPAPERS] or whatever. This compared to previous Fallout games, where what your character would say was straight-up typed out for you to read before clicking on it. They went with a worse, more flawed UI when they already had one that was not just good, it was better than most other games in its genre! It's mind-boggling!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Also Fallout 4 constantly has the problem of your character not saying what the loving menu option says because the menu option is 2 or 3 words like [HATE NEWSPAPERS] or whatever. This compared to previous Fallout games, where what your character would say was straight-up typed out for you to read before clicking on it. They went with a worse, more flawed UI when they already had one that was not just good, it was better than most other games in its genre! It's mind-boggling!

Mass Effect ruined mainstream western RPGs for forever.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Using the 'Show me the actual choices' mod, which everyone should probably be using anyway, made the issues people get on so much worse to actually see as well. The problem of so many of your choices actually just being [Yes] - [Exasperated Yes] - [Yes, but I want a little more money] - [No* (But not really No)] gets even more obvious when you can see the actual stuff you're about to say instead of the stupid boiled down Mass Effect phrase wheel.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

It's just, bad? Like, I kinda remember how to do things but it's just not terribly fun to go through in teh same way 1&2 were

i really don't see how 3's combat is worse than the first 2. 2 had more input lag in it and you had to unlock parries in the combat branch whereas it's already in your moveset in 3. and while i got used to 1's crpg combat with its stances, i'd rather a more 1:1 response to input and attack and 3 does that. i'll agree it's not robust, but it does action rpg combat better than 2 since it throws away mechanical traps since yrden exists and bombs are easier to use now.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MiddleOne posted:

Mass Effect ruined mainstream western RPGs for forever.

alpha protocol has the same issue with dialog choices that are only one word. i'm supposed to assume based on the position of the choice that i'll know my character's disposition when he says them, but sometimes it's a little muddy. veteran and recruit choices are under professional, which is usually the polite choice, but veteran just makes thorton sound like a pompous rear end and that should have been under the suave choice.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

So what you're saying is that it went from a shooter/RPG into a first-person open world game?

In a way, yes. If they had just dropped the open world part of it and been like "hey guys fallout 4's going to be a linear RPG about story now" more in the style of games like deus ex or system shock 2 I wouldn't have this gripe at all. But instead it's this weird thing where half the time you're forced to play as this character you don't really give a poo poo about, the other half the time you're playing as a character the game doesn't give a poo poo about and will gladly just override with its own character whenever it sees fit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh dope posted:

That can't be true. My 12 year old daughter beat that game without trouble.
he posted itt once about an idle clicker game he was finding too confusing and difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he posted itt once about an idle clicker game he was finding too confusing and difficult

he posted about in defense of fallout 4's writing in a way that made it sound like he couldn't differentiate between fiction and reality.

he's got this shtick where he disregards lore speculation bc he takes anything from the official writers as the word of God yet has the biggest hateboner for new vegas.