Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
He also knocked Chad Mendes out the second time they fought but it was in between rounds, which is the most Jose Aldo thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aldo went from dynamic big explosive flying WEC Aldo - best seen in the Swanson and Gamburyan fights - to juggernaut never stops unrelentic sadistic cruelty punish your mistakes UFC Aldo - in the TKZ and both Mendes fights.

If you watch the Lamas or second Edgar fight, for example, he's just always there, always waiting, grinding away with strikes and scoring points and inflicting pain, waiting for you to try something to change the direction of the fight so he can punish you for your audacity.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
So Aldo is basically everyones favourite stadium rocker from the 90's who got into jazz and strange time signatures in the 00's and although you respect the craft and technical ability you'd rather just throw on his old poo poo and have a party instead

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I still like watching Jose Aldo a ton and was arguing he was gonna be the greatest of all time if he beat McGregor (which he didn't do and now he was always bad)

but yeah WEC Aldo, or Aldo-rhythm, was a much more terrifying fighter. Becoming 30/having a kid/un-aided erectile dysfunction probably all play into Jose Aldo mostly cruising through fights. Conor's on the same path too just wait.

And as cool as the Chan Sung Jung fight was the TKO was more of a result of some bad luck with Jung's arm getting trapped during a striking exchange. Otherwise Aldo was on his way to another decision victory.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I personally thought that after the Hominick fight he realized he could no longer fight at the pace he had been without putting himself at risk in the latter rounds. So he changed his pace and style, where instead of accumulating tons of leg kicks he used them more sparingly as a tool to disrupt people as they came forward and keep them in the range of his hands. He was no less effective, but it led to fewer finishes and a slower pace. It's a measure of just how good he is that nobody, even among an extremely varied group of challengers, has been able to take him out of the pace he sets for himself or force him to fight in a way he doesn't want to.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/804728830762090497

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
super sick fight, Bermudez is dangerous but retarded enough for Jung to catch him eventually.

I'm surprised they're giving Jung a main event slot for his first fight back but at the same time Jung shouldn't be in anything but 5 round fights from here on out so cool.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That is a good scrap, rip Joe Silva.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mistakinder posted:

So Aldo is basically everyones favourite stadium rocker from the 90's who got into jazz and strange time signatures in the 00's and although you respect the craft and technical ability you'd rather just throw on his old poo poo and have a party instead

No it's not like that

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:supaburn: :jiggled: :tbear:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

I personally thought that after the Hominick fight he realized he could no longer fight at the pace he had been without putting himself at risk in the latter rounds. So he changed his pace and style, where instead of accumulating tons of leg kicks he used them more sparingly as a tool to disrupt people as they came forward and keep them in the range of his hands. He was no less effective, but it led to fewer finishes and a slower pace. It's a measure of just how good he is that nobody, even among an extremely varied group of challengers, has been able to take him out of the pace he sets for himself or force him to fight in a way he doesn't want to.

Nobody except that one guy

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Conor is truly the greatest FW. He crushed Chad, killed Aldo, and even surpassed KenFlo's suit and hair game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

He also knocked Chad Mendes out the second time they fought but it was in between rounds, which is the most Jose Aldo thing ever.

The craziest thing about that is that the entire sequence happens in the duration of the airhorn used to end the round.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

and even surpassed KenFlo's hair game.

Let's not get crazy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6nqDdiRTWE

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

hominick also began the run of extremely high quality opponents. Hes the only ufc champ where he never got 1 easy fight. THey never ran out of guys for him. And they still havent because Holloway is around.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Nobody except that one guy

I guess technically "face down" is "in a way he doesn't want to"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

hominick also began the run of extremely high quality opponents. Hes the only ufc champ where he never got 1 easy fight. THey never ran out of guys for him. And they still havent because Holloway is around.

I don't think he was the only one, but he was certainly the longest reigning one.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

I don't think he was the only one, but he was certainly the longest reigning one.

Yeah I guess Edgar got no easy fights

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Carla Esparza had the most difficult title reign.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I think a slight majority of UFC champions lost in their first defense, so the statement "had no easy defenses" applies to most champions in a vacuous sense. For champions with 5+ defenses, I think only Aldo had no easy fights.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Stipe is probably gonna have the most difficult strength of schedule for a UFC heavyweight champion when it's all said and done. Probably gonna be Werdum -> Overeem -> Cain -> JDS rematch

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even if it's Werdum again, Werdum's not going to pull the same stunt so it's not going to be an easy fight by any stretch.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, no kidding. Feel bad for her having to come up against Joanna. At any time it's a nightmare, but as the first ever defence of that title as a whole? Extra rough.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

Stipe is probably gonna have the most difficult strength of schedule for a UFC heavyweight champion when it's all said and done. Probably gonna be Werdum -> Overeem -> Cain -> JDS rematch

Really? I figured Stipe would want to defend before 2020.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Ufc is really dumb for not making the stipe cain fight. That is one of the best matchups available at any weight division

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bluedeanie posted:

Really? I figured Stipe would want to defend before 2020.

Nice.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

Ufc is really dumb for not making the stipe cain fight. That is one of the best matchups available at any weight division

Stipe wanted a vacation and Cain didn't want to wait.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Sorry if this was brought up before but that MMAAA thing made me think

When the idea of GSP fighting middleweights came up it was always said that he was undersized. He is exactly the same size as Tim Kennedy in that photo so does that mean Tim is undersized for middleweight too?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

mistakinder posted:

When the idea of GSP fighting middleweights came up it was always said that he was undersized. He is exactly the same size as Tim Kennedy in that photo so does that mean Tim is undersized for middleweight too?

We need to get the posture expert in here to weigh in and let us know if they're really the same size or Tim's slumping

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I have laughed aloud.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Gsp got hardy, Silva got cote and leites and sonnen, Jones got sonnen and rampage, and so on. I feel like the pool of people who have 5 defenses is very small

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mistakinder posted:

You are not understanding the effects of foreshortening. (Hint: Bjorn Rebney is not actually larger than Cain Velasquez)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Speaking of Carla Esparza having a bad time, she needs to sell the Harley she won on TUF because she only has enough in the bank for 2 months of bills. There's some other stuff about her struggling to get booked for a fight on the post too.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNhRUrvhdl4/

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

fatherdog posted:

You are not understanding the effects of foreshortening. (Hint: Bjorn Rebney is not actually larger than Cain Velasquez)

He's also not right next to him in a near identical pose. If he was I would expect the difference to be more pronounced.

Ps Bjorn Rebney is 6'3" and Cain is 6'1" and suffering from chronic AKA which affects his posture.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Speaking of Carla Esparza having a bad time, she needs to sell the Harley she won on TUF because she only has enough in the bank for 2 months of bills. There's some other stuff about her struggling to get booked for a fight on the post too.

who?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I earnestly support Carla Esparza's right to get fights as per the terms of her contract, just like I support my own right never to watch them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gray Maynard fights this weekend, apparently

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bluedeanie posted:

I earnestly support Carla Esparza's right to get fights as per the terms of her contract, just like I support my own right never to watch them.

You'd think it wouldn't be a burden on the UFC to put her on an undercard to fulfill the terms of her contract. Or if they aren't will to do that at least let her fight in Invicta so she can pay her bills.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bluedeanie posted:

I'd happily watch her fight Joanna again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

now I bet she wishes she didn't buy that $1000 sundae

• Locked thread