Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I was setting up an electrocution trap and didn't know that particular switch was on by default :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I was setting up an electrocution trap and didn't know that particular switch was on by default :)

I think this is legitimately the most common way to fail ET's that I've seen.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Visidan posted:

ETs don't show up in instinct, look for an old woman being followed by a bunch of soldiers.
Yeah that was what I did before I tried the instinct thing. I've been over every square inch of the map except for inside the embassy/school.

e: finally found her, now for the fun part :getin:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 2, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Visidan posted:

ETs don't show up in instinct, look for an old woman being followed by a bunch of soldiers.

This.

The easiest way of spotting her is probably to get yourself a soldier outfit — regular or elite — and look around you in or near the market. She'll be tailed by an officer that can see through your disguise, and you can spot that guy very easily by looking for the single dot over his head (if you're a regular solider, there will also be two guys in the café that can spot you, but they're easy to identify by their position and by the fact that there's two of them in close proximity). He can see through a few others as well, but won't be alone in that so the solider one is probably the most noise-free.

If it's just for recon purposes rather than your main run, just get onto the lamp shop roof and kill the guy there (along with the embassy security woman). As a bonus, you can stay up there and see the group walk past below you, at which point you can pick up their trail, and learn what they look like and where they go.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Unless her starting point is randomized, she starts out on the Headmaster's roof patio and heads into the bazaar from there.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Crappy Jack posted:

I think this is legitimately the most common way to fail ET's that I've seen.

Well, now I don't feel so dumb for having also done this.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait is this lady like am assassin or just a serial killer

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

frank.club posted:

Yes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
She's supposed to be a Misery-esque serial killer but it would have been better if she was just a little old lady assassin and 47 had to end her because she was cutting into ICA business.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

frank.club posted:

Just a serial killer I think.

Got her and SASO'd it, ended up going on one of the rooftops in the bazaar and dropping the sign on her with a shot from the Silverballer. Bonus, there's an exit right there!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Visidan posted:

I pushed her off the roof a few seconds before the guards came up to meet her :sweatdrop: got SA but it was really tight. I was thinking about sniping the cafe sign but didn't want to risk it.
How did you get up there so fast? I had a few attempts and could never quite make it in time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After a slight goofup where I shot someone else with a green hat (sorry citizen), I took her out with the sniper, got spotted by a guard across the map behind a wall, then switched outfits and walked away. I'll take it!

e: On my way out someone asked me I slid down a pipe. A guy saw and asked me if I was a "drug fiend looking to sell my perfectly sculpted rear end for a piece of hash".

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 2, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Killing targets with a sniper rifle is a bit buggy/badly coded I've discovered, haha. I got the "Sniper Assassin" challenge (snipe all targets, don't kill anyone else, don't get spotted) on the third level in a row and regardless of if i use a silenced sniper rifle or not the guards always beeline for my position on all those 3 levels and this time i overheard one of them saying "THE TARGET IS A BALD CAUCASIAN MALE DRESSED AS A SOLDIER, HE COULD BE ONE OF MY MEN" even tho they had never seen me and never did :v:

It's fine tho, it's not a sniper game. Just a bit dumb/sometimes funny.

edit: actually to be fair a quick glance at the entry wound of the victim and then scanning the area for vantage points would probably lead the guards to my position anyway because of how the levels are built, the description of me is still funny tho

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 2, 2016

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I ended up doing the rush up the drainpipe method, getting there just in time to poison her. Unfortunately I was spotted by a white dot chap on the way out of the school, so didn't get the SA bonus. No matter, considering my usual method of dying in a hail of bullets, I'll take it.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I got her with the syringe, but I had accidentally brought the emetic one! Fortunately, she walked to a nice, secluded area. SA.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Beat Sapienza. I ended up luring the woman to her bedroom with the promise of hot golf sex and I did the dead mom ghost trick for the guy. At first I was going to go the flower delivery route but I hosed it up and decided to explore the city instead which led me to the dead lab tech in the morgue. Thought that was a really cool way to get a disguise!

No collateral, never compromised, and I still ended up with only 4/5 stars.

If it's that hard to get silent assassin I probably just won't try for it my first time through. For Paris I ended up having to assassinate two caterers who happened to be at the wrong place at the right time and it was awesome. Definitely more fun to not worry about it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I noticed on one of the loading screen hints that you can also get disguises from dead bodies that get discovered and bodybagged, and you can get disguises from bodies you hide in cabinets or bins. Pretty cool.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah just explore/try different things the first time around, and go for silent assassin when you know the map layout and how to set stuff in motion.

It's a game about mastery by trial & error, not skill, basically. If you follow the opportunities the game turns into easy mode (just follow the tips and you'll win!), constraints are what make the missions fun to play multiple times.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just did the Sapienza bonus mission. I ended up stumbling across Dino's trailer (didn't realize what it was.) While I was trying to figure out a way out, he walked in, forcing me to bury a battleaxe in his chest.

1 star, but you don't just pass up an opportunity to kill a man with a battleaxe!

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
^^^^^^ No you do not, and there's another one in your near future...

PantsBandit posted:

If it's that hard to get silent assassin I probably just won't try for it my first time through. For Paris I ended up having to assassinate two caterers who happened to be at the wrong place at the right time and it was awesome. Definitely more fun to not worry about it.

Having a body found, even of a target, will lose you your SA rating, so maybe the guards that occasionally path through the hot golf love chamber saw your victim? If you hid her, though, it's probably just that someone got suspicious of you - you don't necessarily need to be compromised, just having anyone show "Suspicious" (even if it's just because you bump into them too much or whatever) counts as being spotted.

Totally don't go for SA the first time though, because it's a super restrictive way to play and what makes it fun is ironing out a smooth and speedy method, which is way easier after a nice healthy bit of loving around with proximity mines.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one who made that mistake. This is my mistake for not getting more practice in Marrakesh or waiting a few more days for a better method to present itself.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PantsBandit posted:

Beat Sapienza. I ended up luring the woman to her bedroom with the promise of hot golf sex and I did the dead mom ghost trick for the guy. At first I was going to go the flower delivery route but I hosed it up and decided to explore the city instead which led me to the dead lab tech in the morgue. Thought that was a really cool way to get a disguise!

Once you've got up to level 20 mastery you'll probably have done enough stuff that you have a good idea of how to plan out a silent assassin and/or suit only run. Inasmuch as there's any true "finishing" of a level, SASO is probably it. It's a great way to test your knowledge of the whole level. I don't remember specifically what I did for my SASO of Sapienza, but, for instance, I can tell you off the top of my head how I'd get at least two of the targets: sneak into the observatory, play the videotape, wait for Silvio's guards to leave and strangle him, then stalactite the virus.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ReWinter posted:

^^^^^^ No you do not, and there's another one in your near future...

Having a body found, even of a target, will lose you your SA rating, so maybe the guards that occasionally path through the hot golf love chamber saw your victim? If you hid her, though, it's probably just that someone got suspicious of you - you don't necessarily need to be compromised, just having anyone show "Suspicious"

Yup, that'd be it. Didn't realize suspicious hurt your score.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I'm pumped to retroactively get that dope ET SA suit for poisoning that chef.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GoneRampant posted:

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one who made that mistake. This is my mistake for not getting more practice in Marrakesh or waiting a few more days for a better method to present itself.

Making that mistake once is why I check the switch every time. It says "turn off" or "turn on", so I can know what its status is. I no longer assume.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Tried the elusive target (my first one), after a few restarts got SASO by shooting the Café sign from the bazaar rooftops, which seems like a popular strategy :v:. Not knowing where the target was and being new to the Marakesh map was pretty sweet.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

How did you restart?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How did you restart?

I assume he means restarting before killing the target.

Anyways, I did the same thing, but timed it poorly and killed 4(!) people alongside Murderous Miss Marple. Oh well, it was my first ET, so I'm pleased I didn't totally gently caress up and die.

I had a crappy view, maybe if I was more familiar with Marrakesh I would've figured out something better.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I had a crappy view, maybe if I was more familiar with Marrakesh I would've figured out something better.

If you had just moved ahead and to the right, looking though the gap in the wall where you can climb down, you would have had a better angle where that blue-roofed stall did not block the entrance, and could still have stood far back so as not to be seen.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tippis posted:

Well, then you're on the map with the most simple, hands-off, completely automatic target kill in the game. Let's see if you find it. :D

I've near enough 100%'ed the level now (Chameleon was only fun to do on the first level and i'm skipping the challenges that involve custom Contracts), was it killing them with the APC gun or poisoning the generals food? I kept hoping to discover something that made them storm the embassy or the soldiers revolt against the general, but found nothing like that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dongattack posted:

I've near enough 100%'ed the level now (Chameleon was only fun to do on the first level and i'm skipping the challenges that involve custom Contracts), was it killing them with the APC gun or poisoning the generals food? I kept hoping to discover something that made them storm the embassy or the soldiers revolt against the general, but found nothing like that.

It was the latter of the two. With a bit of patience, you can do it in your suit and with equipment you bring into the level without ever even going near a restricted area. You just set it off and go about your business, and at some point, inevitably, he'll die.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tippis posted:

It was the latter of the two. With a bit of patience, you can do it in your suit and with equipment you bring into the level without ever even going near a restricted area. You just set it off and go about your business, and at some point, inevitably, he'll die.

It reminded me a lot of Blood Money where if you do this one thing that might be hard to find/pull off the target pretty much kills itself. Not really my favorite level so far, but it was pretty cool and it felt so good to kill that swedish devil incarnate fellow over and over again.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, hung out across from the cafe for ages but she just would not go under the sign (she seemed very fond of detouring just around it). So finally I got impatient and put two pistol rounds in her chest...which caused her to double over for a bit, get up and run off while I went into permanent Hunted status. Bulletproof Granny

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
In Sapienza, is it possible to get the Sniper Assassin - and maybe SASO - from the tower that has the cafe basement ICA drop? I can pick off De Santis just fine, but it seems like some fucker sees me immediately from half the map away.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

In Sapienza, is it possible to get the Sniper Assassin - and maybe SASO - from the tower that has the cafe basement ICA drop? I can pick off De Santis just fine, but it seems like some fucker sees me immediately from half the map away.

From the Town Hall tower, doubtful. At least of the top of my head, I can't think of a good opportunity to take out Caruso from there.
From the church bell tower, definitely, although there's a trick to it and the De Santis shot will be a bit tricky if I remember correctly.
From the ruin tower, definitely as well, and the shots will be easier but you'll be more exposed.

And either way, you still have to deal with the virus, so the suit-only part will be just as annoying regardless.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

the suit only bit can be done if you catch the red-haired lab attendant at the church first thing (you'll need the lockpick to get into the morgue while the funeral director is out for a smoke). From there you take out the targets then sneak in, use the laptop on top of the breakroom / security office, and take the plane out. Easier than Marrakesh, more or less.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 3, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just dicking around from the town hall tower I figured out you can shoot the panel off the observatory roof mechanism, and then shoot it again to open the roof. And I know Caruso goes up there to look through the telescope, which looks right at the church tower. Would you have to run through the sewers to make it there in time?

And I forgot about the virus :downs:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just dicking around from the town hall tower I figured out you can shoot the panel off the observatory roof mechanism, and then shoot it again to open the roof. And I know Caruso goes up there to look through the telescope, which looks right at the church tower. Would you have to run through the sewers to make it there in time?
If you have a silenced rifle, it's easier to just take the first shots from the bell tower as well — no running needed.

quote:

And I forgot about the virus :downs:
Welcome to the only bad part about Sapienza.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
For people who have shot stuff and had it fall on people, did you have to practice the timing? I always seem to get it too late and the person has already walked by when the thing falls. I feel like Wile E. Coyote. I also discovered the hard way that if you mess with wires with a screwdriver, a handyman might come by and fix it. This game's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Silent Assassin'd the ET. At first I tried to set up an elaborate scooter oil puddle kill, but then I realized where she started.

Started as solider. Ran out of the school on the left side and around the passage past the shoe store/tunnel entrance, back over to the pipe behind the headmaster's terrace. Subdued the one soldier at the foot of the pipe after their conversation broke up and left his body there -- no one comes by here again, so it's safe to leave him in the open. On the roof, I peeled off the military officer by "hiding" on the walking ledge as he walked toward the corner, then dropped down and clubbed him with a wrench. Distracted the other solider enough to isolate the target. Neck snap, hide the body, get the hell out. SA!

If I had only known about the dropping cafe sign I would have tried for that instead. But that's okay, lots of different ways to do it!