Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://twitter.com/JLester34/status/804318576853352448

God dammit, Lester. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm glad it looks like Dan Haren rubbed off on Lester just a little in the short time he spent with the Cubs.

Also, I know Lester is thrilled they didn't enact a pitch clock in the CBA, not that it has to be negotiated with the union.
:golfclap:
Seriously, he's that guy who balks like 16 times every time he winds up.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 2, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/804684699847237633
I would be too if I saw how the Pirates FO worked last offseason after a 98 win season where they went "Keep good players? Don't be ridiculous, let's let them all go away who needs them, we are going to trade our hometown kid for a lovely pitcher because clearly Ray Serage's method of making old bad pitchers good is infinitely sustainable!"

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://twitter.com/CFCubsRelated/status/804109474659041280

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

The Garcia trade makes it even stranger that the Cubs didn't pick up the option for Hammel's final year and then trade him.

Hammel wasn't in the Cubs' plans for 2017, so Theo and Jed didn't want to dick him over by picking up his cheap option and immediately trading him. They're doing Hammel a solid by letting him get overpaid in an especially weak FA market. The Cubs won't get anything for him in return, but aside from just having won the World Series, having a front office who doesn't screw over its players is a good incentive for them to choose to come to the Cubs over other teams.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hammel wasn't in the Cubs' plans for 2017, so Theo and Jed didn't want to dick him over by picking up his cheap option and immediately trading him. They're doing Hammel a solid by letting him get overpaid in an especially weak FA market. The Cubs won't get anything for him in return, but aside from just having won the World Series, having a front office who doesn't screw over its players is a good incentive for them to choose to come to the Cubs over other teams.

Didn't Hammel's Agent even say that him and Theo made a promise or gentleman's agreement to Hammel during the original contract negotiations that they wouldn't just sign him and trade him during his option year. Which is why Hammel took less in the first place.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Dingleberry Jones posted:

I like the trade for Garcia. The Braves need to let their young pitchers get a few more good years in the minors before starting to bring them up. Maybe teach Newcomb and Toussant how to throw strikes, and let Allard and Fried get another year under their belts to show that they are over their injuries. And that's not even scratching the surface with Soroka, Weigel, Anderson, Muller, Wentz and Jenkins all in the top 25.

its obvious what the Braves are doing, most of the money they have going out comes off the books in 2018, 2019.
They are hoping the team is stocked with pre-arbitration pitchers and then they will spend money on 1 or 2 superstar position players.
The only thing that can ruin this plan is nobody wanting to play for the Braves, it's not the 90's anymore.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/804684699847237633
I would be too if I saw how the Pirates FO worked last offseason after a 98 win season where they went "Keep good players? Don't be ridiculous, let's let them all go away who needs them, we are going to trade our hometown kid for a lovely pitcher because clearly Ray Serage's method of making old bad pitchers good is infinitely sustainable!"

It's probably the 60 million or so he'll have lost by the end of it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

chilihead posted:

its obvious what the Braves are doing, most of the money they have going out comes off the books in 2018, 2019.
They are hoping the team is stocked with pre-arbitration pitchers and then they will spend money on 1 or 2 superstar position players.
The only thing that can ruin this plan is nobody wanting to play for the Braves, it's not the 90's anymore.

One thing that Coppy said over the summer that I sort of shrugged off as GM speak was that players would need to earn their way into opportunities going forward. That's different from what they'd been doing by just using a next man up approach to pitching. It looks like he's stocking the team with short term veteran pitchers to keep guys like Wisler, Newcomb, and Blair in AAA until the team thinks they're really ready to make the jump rather than forcing them into MLB games.

They're probably only incrementally improving the MLB team as Colon and Dickey certainly aren't pitching you into the playoffs at this point in their careers and Garcia needs a solid rebound just to get back to being a solid 3-4 guy, but I'm surprised to see a GM make a shift like this. It feels rare that a GM approaches the MLB roster with one philosophy and then makes a dramatic shift in a matter of months.

Dexo posted:

Didn't Hammel's Agent even say that him and Theo made a promise or gentleman's agreement to Hammel during the original contract negotiations that they wouldn't just sign him and trade him during his option year. Which is why Hammel took less in the first place.

The point was, I think, that they were building a winner for 2016 and they wouldn't just use him as trade bait again. His stock was almost certainly down after pitching terribly for the A's so I think this is the best thing for his wallet, even if he wanted to stick around on a winning team.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 2, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

:laffo:

Corey is a friend of my brother's, didn't expect to see a tweet from him get randomly embedded round these parts. Dude is a Cubs lifer, and I'm pretty jealous of the post-season games he got to go to this year.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 2, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cody Asche just got DFA'd

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

:laffo:

Corey is a friend of my brother's, didn't expect to see a tweet from him get randomly embedded round these parts. Dude is a Cubs lifer, and I'm pretty jealous of the post-season games he got to go to this year.

My understanding was that Cubs Related was started by dudes who posted on Pro Sports Daily. I'm shocked to see a message board organized project hold itself together and post quality content to the extent that they have. I'm sure it doesn't have the reader-base of BN or BCB but more people should read it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I was listening to the Ringer MLB podcast this morning and they had Jeff Passan on talking about the new CBA. He made a good point that this CBA is essentially a huge win for the owners and it may lead to more contentious negotiations next time around.

The reasoning is that spending on players is now effectively capped in all areas, between the domestic draft slots, new international amateur hard cap (violation of which forfeits draft picks), and the much more aggressive luxury tax. With the max tax rate being 95%, teams like the Dodgers won't blow $100M past the threshold anymore.

Combine these hard spending limits with anticipated MLB revenue growth over the next five years (expected to be $15B by 2021, up from about $10B now), and there is no where for all that additional revenue to go other than the owners' pockets. The players' share has already been on the decline and it may now accelerate downward.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's a surprisingly lovely hand for the MLBPA to accept. Why raise such a stink about an international draft but then accept such a hilariously low hard cap on international amateur spending? The modified QO also doesn't feel like nearly big enough of a concession in exchange for how the new luxury tax rates will gently caress with willingness to offer big contracts.

Also it's not confirmed yet, but there are reports that there's language in the CBA that raises the age requirement of IFA's from 23 to 25. Which among other things means all the recent hype about Otani is pointless since if he comes over to MLB any time before 2019 he'd be hard capped at $6m just like everybody else.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sydin posted:

It's a surprisingly lovely hand for the MLBPA to accept. Why raise such a stink about an international draft but then accept such a hilariously low hard cap on international amateur spending? The modified QO also doesn't feel like nearly big enough of a concession in exchange for how the new luxury tax rates will gently caress with willingness to offer big contracts.

Also it's not confirmed yet, but there are reports that there's language in the CBA that raises the age requirement of IFA's from 23 to 25. Which among other things means all the recent hype about Otani is pointless since if he comes over to MLB any time before 2019 he'd be hard capped at $6m just like everybody else.

I don't see why anyone would want to raise IFAs from 23 to 25. That's bad for both players and owners.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its basically to make Cuban players cheaper.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cody Asche just got DFA'd

This is basically a whole lot of nothing. Asche is basically a AAAA guy who basically played himself off the team.

David Rollins, who the Phils claimed, is now in his fourth organization in the last two weeks. I suspect it won't be his last move this offseason.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It's as if no player in the current union has ever spoken to any of the players affected by collusion and it's not like most of them are that old or not available since it was happening well into the late 80's.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why doesn't baseball just do the smart thing and axe the draft in favor of a bonus system based on reverse order of standings for all amateurs

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
N: https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/804811098335678464/photo/1

V: Cleveland blew a 3-1 lead in the world series.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

At least he held up his bet unlike the coward Aaron Rodgers

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Poque posted:

N: https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/804811098335678464/photo/1

V: Cleveland blew a 3-1 lead in the world series.

I am happy he went with the full uniform and not just the top.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
N: Brian Duensing to the Cubs, 1 year, 2 million.

V: Career ERA+ of 100, seems to be the definition of league average, is a former Oriole (13.1 innings) so maybe Bosio can work his magic

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ben Revere was not tendered a contract which is not a huge surprise

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Nats acquire Derek Norris from the Padres for pitching prospect Pedro Avila.

V: I thought they'd look to resign Ramos but hey whatever I guess.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Jake McGee re-signed on a 1yr $5.9M deal to avoid arb. :effort:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/sdutSanders/status/804857002002292736

:raise:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:lol: Padres

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

How much longer is on his rehab timetable? Could this be them doing some kind of sweetheart deal like you get with minor leaguers?

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Sydin posted:

N: Nats acquire Derek Norris from the Padres for pitching prospect Pedro Avila.

V: I thought they'd look to resign Ramos but hey whatever I guess.

Ramos is gonna miss ar least the first third of next season and there is a lot of concern about whether or not he can catch every day after the injury. Supposedly he is also looking for a multi year deal as well. Not a surprise at all that the Nats are moving on from him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
OK so Ross underwent surgery for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome in October which I somehow hadn't heard about and makes this more sensible, really.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
TOS surgery has an expected recovery time of about 6 months so it's not impossible he could be ready to go by Opening Day or soon afterwards. I expect there'll be a few clubs looking to pick him up, possibly with an incentive-heavy deal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone actually come back from that surgery and been good? I know Beckett got it but was never the same. I guess Jaime Garcia would be the best example?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

TOS surgery has an expected recovery time of about 6 months so it's not impossible he could be ready to go by Opening Day or soon afterwards. I expect there'll be a few clubs looking to pick him up, possibly with an incentive-heavy deal.

I don't doubt that. He's not total dead weight, but coming off TOS and going into a walk year, the Padres will likely be one of those teams looking to pick him up on an incentive-heavy deal.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Pretty surprised that the DBacks nontendered Welington Castillo, he was only due to make like $6 million in arb and power hitting catchers don't exactly grow on trees. I guess the writing was on the wall when they signed Jeff Mathis but that's a huge downgrade to save a couple million bucks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

drat, wish Castillo had been non tendered before the McCann trade

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

castillo owns

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I am going to guess Castillo will be a Brave next year assuming they don't pick up somebody via trade soon enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs have non-tendered Zac Rosscup, Gerardo Concepcion, Conor Mullee, and Christian Villanueva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Pussy Boss posted:

Pretty surprised that the DBacks nontendered Welington Castillo, he was only due to make like $6 million in arb and power hitting catchers don't exactly grow on trees. I guess the writing was on the wall when they signed Jeff Mathis but that's a huge downgrade to save a couple million bucks.

Hah wow, the value of a catcher like him has to be worth more than $6M per year. They must be broke from Greinke.

• Locked thread