Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The Dark Omen of Those Dow 19,000 Hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
True story: I use my internet connected scale and internet connected lights to make it so if I ever weigh more than 160 pounds all my lights turn off and I have to be fat in the dark.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Voice recognition assistants have already moved beyond Siri to the point that they're starting to almost be useful. Google's voice recognition is a lot better and works in many more environments, Cortana is better integrated into the OS, and Amazon Alexa is connected to more things by virtue of pretty good developer tools. None of them are quite there yet, but if your main experience was how useless Siri was around the time it was getting the most hype you might be surprised by how far things have moved in a short amount of time.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
wearables like fitbit have grown huge because fatties want to think that by owning one they'll magically drop 150lbs.

at the gym I still see most hardcore workout people carrying around oldschool notebooks, which are probably more useful

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Landsknecht posted:

wearables like fitbit have grown huge because fatties want to think that by owning one they'll magically drop 150lbs.

at the gym I still see most hardcore workout people carrying around oldschool notebooks, which are probably more useful

Probably because fitbits are completely useless for weightlifting or any gym activity outside of walking/jogging. There used to be an app for logging/gamifying all workout data but I think it died off.

Really though the main takeaway from all the Fitbit studies seems to be that all the data in the world is useless unless you actually do something with it, and you're more likely to actually put data to use if you have to actively log it rather than letting a wristband log it all for you. From personal experience I can tell you manually logging meals with MyFitnessPal is extremely effective for diet control and awareness of what you're eating, but you actually have to log that poo poo yourself, no wristband yet exists that can do that for you.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Probably because fitbits are completely useless for weightlifting or any gym activity outside of walking/jogging. There used to be an app for logging/gamifying all workout data but I think it died off.

Really though the main takeaway from all the Fitbit studies seems to be that all the data in the world is useless unless you actually do something with it, and you're more likely to actually put data to use if you have to actively log it rather than letting a wristband log it all for you. From personal experience I can tell you manually logging meals with MyFitnessPal is extremely effective for diet control and awareness of what you're eating, but you actually have to log that poo poo yourself, no wristband yet exists that can do that for you.

Fitocracy?

I used to have an account long ago when it was pretty new; it seemed to get cluttered with commercial stuff over time and seemed less valuable

FitBit is just like anything else in "quanitified self" -- just simply collecting data doesn't necessarily change anything, and that data may be less useful than a persons idealized value of it upon analysis

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I've never really had a wearable, because strava on a phone is plenty good for tracking outdoor cycling

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well yeah, if you like Terrible GPS Data

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

dex_sda posted:

as a fitness goon, here are my hot takes:
- you don't need anything more than a clock, a map (for figuring out running/cycling routes), a grocery bag and a gym membership for fitness
- the change of lifestyle must be within you, and an excellent recent study suggests everpresent gadgets telling you what to do are worse than simply logging stuff (for which your phone apps or a pen are perfectly fine)
- I emphasize 'excellent' because most published research is false. Nowhere is this more apparent than in fitness science, with low sample sizes and inability to create a good control group (almost any weightlifting study starts with people who already lift, for instance). A lot of fitness trackers and apps use these poor studies as recommendations.
- combining all this, fitness trackers are garbage designed to take your money for something you don't need, or indeed actually want.
- smartwatches are extra garbage because they're only good at things my phone does better, all while looking bad and needing charging, things mechanical watches figured out a century ago.

BTW: Please Work Out.

Cite the Ioannidis article, not some garbage youtube video. Note that Ioannidis's claim is more nuanced and ultimately less absolute than what you or others cite it for.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

dex_sda posted:

- smartwatches are extra garbage because they're only good at things my phone does better, all while looking bad and needing charging, things mechanical watches figured out a century ago.

This is exactly why I have a Pebble, and why I'm pissed at the CEO. It looks like a watch, it acts like a watch, the display always works and the battery lasts over a week. It lets me get notifications without fiddling with my phone in public, it lets me reply with voice or a canned message, it lets me control the music in my headphones, it tells me the weather, it tells me my next appointment and it tracks my sleep and steps without having to configure anything.

I don't want anything else out of a watch, really. I don't need apps or fitness or anything else, but I need the display to be always on, and the battery has to last a week. Nothing else does that.

Pebble had one of the worst business plans for a hardware startup I've ever heard of. Use kickstarter as the major sales platform and don't advertise anything ever. Why they ever even got into retail spaces is beyond me because they didn't bother educating their market beforehand.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I can tell you manually logging meals with MyFitnessPal is extremely effective for diet control and awareness of what you're eating, but you actually have to log that poo poo yourself, no wristband yet exists that can do that for you.
Oh, it's been tried: https://www.engadget.com/2015/02/09/healbe-gobe-review/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

From https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/12/01/2180647/the-taxi-unicorns-new-clothes/

"Uber riders are paying only 41% of the cost of their rides".

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

How is it that silicon valley, home of the data science ~*revolution*~, doesn't seem to understand basic sampling?

Data and statistics are a venn diagram with some overlap but encompass many different things.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

From https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/12/01/2180647/the-taxi-unicorns-new-clothes/

:lol:, who could have known that the company that religiously guards its balance sheets could have profitability issues.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
This is really odd because having taken a number of Uber and Taxi rides in SF over the last few years, Uber fares are definitely not that much cheaper than taxi fares.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

cheese posted:

Uber fares are definitely not that much cheaper than taxi fares.

An Uber/Lyft to SFO is ~$25 for me. A cab is $47 + tip.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think this analysis assumes that the "cost of their ride" includes all the bullshit Uber doesn't need to be spending money on though.

And I'm pretty sure there are no shortages of ways uber is finding to waste money that don't involve subsidizing fares.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ShadowHawk posted:

And I'm pretty sure there are no shortages of ways uber is finding to waste money that don't involve subsidizing fares.

iirc they have a self-driving car r&d program. which makes so little sense for uber of all firms. automakers, it makes total sense - be on the forefront of new car technology. even elon musk made a car manufacturing firm before he made a self-driving car lab. google and apple, it kinda makes sense - at least apple produces hardware, and google is ginormous and into all kinds of new fancy computer technologies. but uber did nothing more than make an app and raise a hojillion dollars on the taxi business, uber specifically avoids owning their own rolling stock, so it makes little sense for them to jump into the automatic car game too. and the first wave of automatic car use in society is going to be owning your own car that drives itself around, which cuts out a ton of the reason people use uber in the first place (everyone i know who uses uber owns a car but uses uber to go to bars/social events with alcohol)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

iirc they have a self-driving car r&d program. which makes so little sense for uber of all firms.

They want to code their drivers, not hire them/contract them.

boner confessor posted:

uber specifically avoids owning their own rolling stock

They own every uber car in - at a minimum that I can directly confirm - Singapore. I understand this is the case elsewhere too.

boner confessor posted:

and the first wave of automatic car use in society is going to be owning your own car that drives itself around, which cuts out a ton of the reason people use uber in the first place

And they are betting on a second wave where no one want s to own a car because you just fire up the Uber app and one of their completely autonomous self-driving vehicles shows up at your house 5 minutes later to take you wherever. It's cloud computing for cars.

boner confessor posted:

(everyone i know who uses uber owns a car but uses uber to go to bars/social events with alcohol)

Your experience is not typical.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

They want to code their drivers, not hire them/contract them.

They own every uber car in - at a minimum that I can directly confirm - Singapore. I understand this is the case elsewhere too.

And they are betting on a second wave where no one want s to own a car because you just fire up the Uber app and one of their completely autonomous self-driving vehicles shows up at your house 5 minutes later to take you wherever. It's cloud computing for cars.

Your experience is not typical.

"The fall of unicorns: Your experience is not typical."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Motronic posted:

this second wave is at minimum fifteen years away, closer to thirty. uber wont last that long. it's a terribly stupid idea, because it's investor storytime

the average age of a vehicle in america is 11.5 years. it's going to take a while after self-driving is a standard option on cars before they become commonplace. there's going to be a long period of mix between manually operated cars and autonomous cars - poor people, car enthusiasts, traditionalists etc. will continue to drive their own cars for a long time. until then, self driving cars will be subject to the same inefficiency as regular cars regarding traffic and congestion, especially around peak travel times. waiting just five minutes for a car is a fantasy, uber can currently pull it off because they subsidize more than half the cost of the trips and therefore have more supply of trips than demand for trips. a more natural equilibrium is a longer wait. and at that point, you might as well wait for a bus

the problem with "well eventually there will just be fleets of autonomous cars no individual owns" is that there's a whole lot of time and societal changes between now and then, and you can't just skip over all that to talk about how things are going to work in 2040 and beyond. five years from now is more important for uber's survival than twenty years from now. i'm surprised that the "fleets of robot cars" advocates can somehow restrain themselves from including "oh yeah and they also fly"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 3, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

blah_blah posted:

An Uber/Lyft to SFO is ~$25 for me. A cab is $47 + tip.
Fair enough. Most of my experience is usually Uber/Taxi to the nearest BART station, and it always feels like its 8 bucks on Uber and maybe 10-12 + 2 tip for a Taxi. That is a significant difference, but still makes Uber's huge undercutting of Taxi's pretty shocking.

Motronic posted:

We are so, so, so far away from that situation that to even consider it seems folly.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"The fall of unicorns: Your experience is not typical."

Something happened.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

Fair enough. Most of my experience is usually Uber/Taxi to the nearest BART station, and it always feels like its 8 bucks on Uber and maybe 10-12 + 2 tip for a Taxi. That is a significant difference, but still makes Uber's huge undercutting of Taxi's pretty shocking.

You can thank some VC chump for paying the difference between your Uber fare and what it actually costs to drive you from place to place.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

withak posted:

You can thank some VC chump for paying the difference between your Uber fare and what it actually costs to drive you from place to place.
Yes and I think the entire point is that this is unsustainable? Also, that Uber is not 40% the cost of a taxi ride but they are charging only 40% of what it costs to transport. How long can a company use investor capital to pay for 60% of a taxi ride?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

Yes and I think the entire point is that this is unsustainable? Also, that Uber is not 40% the cost of a taxi ride but they are charging only 40% of what it costs to transport. How long can a company use investor capital to pay for 60% of a taxi ride?

We might find out pretty soon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cheese posted:

Until bankruptcy.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

this second wave is at minimum fifteen years away, closer to thirty. uber wont last that long. it's a terribly stupid idea, because it's investor storytime

the average age of a vehicle in america is 11.5 years. it's going to take a while after self-driving is a standard option on cars before they become commonplace. there's going to be a long period of mix between manually operated cars and autonomous cars - poor people, car enthusiasts, traditionalists etc. will continue to drive their own cars for a long time. until then, self driving cars will be subject to the same inefficiency as regular cars regarding traffic and congestion, especially around peak travel times. waiting just five minutes for a car is a fantasy, uber can currently pull it off because they subsidize more than half the cost of the trips and therefore have more supply of trips than demand for trips. a more natural equilibrium is a longer wait. and at that point, you might as well wait for a bus

the problem with "well eventually there will just be fleets of autonomous cars no individual owns" is that there's a whole lot of time and societal changes between now and then, and you can't just skip over all that to talk about how things are going to work in 2040 and beyond. five years from now is more important for uber's survival than twenty years from now. i'm surprised that the "fleets of robot cars" advocates can somehow restrain themselves from including "oh yeah and they also fly"

Also reminder that a fully coordinated autonomous automotive traffic system would only improve congestion by around ~30% vs the self organized status quo

Driver aids are fantastic technology but fully autonomous cars are mostly nerd sci-fi pipe dreams that might just end up like 3D movies and television: everyone fantasizing about how amazing it will be, then it arrives and fizzles because it turns out its just not that amazing

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MiddleOne posted:

Until bankruptcy.

In Uber's case, I think it's either until the economy crashes and VC dries up that way, or until it becomes apparent that we aren't remotely as close to that second wave of automation as Uber keeps telling people we are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don't think they can get public markets to fund this strategy?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

lancemantis posted:

Also reminder that a fully coordinated autonomous automotive traffic system would only improve congestion by around ~30% vs the self organized status quo

Driver aids are fantastic technology but fully autonomous cars are mostly nerd sci-fi pipe dreams that might just end up like 3D movies and television: everyone fantasizing about how amazing it will be, then it arrives and fizzles because it turns out its just not that amazing

Sure, but I think there was an equally good chance before the tech started rolling out that 3D would have become quite popular. The truth is, nobody knows. It's just not accurate to call it either way, we just have to wait and see what happens.

What is inevitable is that some major players are going to make a very serious play for autonomous cars, so I'm excited that we'll get to play out the experiment in the next couple decades (as our cities slide into the ocean)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

They can't, going public would mean revealing their balance sheets which has been their most fervently guarded secret for the last 3 years.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Subjunctive posted:

No, I don't. Their EBITDA was negative one point two billion dollars in the first two quarters of 2016, yet they're valued at 69 billion dollars on the private market. They don't have an icicle's chance in satan's rear end in a top hat of going public. If they do, it will be the most insane display of magical thinking in tech history.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lancemantis posted:

also traffic aka congestion scales with population increases, as first world cities get bigger and more populated it's more likely that any efficiency increases in autonomous fleet travel would simply be keeping up with traffic growth as we yet again knock into triple convergence and the equilibrium of traffic jams

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What is inevitable is that some major players are going to make a very serious play for autonomous cars, so I'm excited that we'll get to play out the experiment in the next couple decades (as our cities slide into the ocean)

for sure, but in the immediate 5-15 year timespan this just means the most likely outcome is wealthy people sitting in brand new cars they own, same as now, except the cars drive themselves while everyone else with an old beater model 2015 is manually driving

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

boner confessor posted:

for sure, but in the immediate 5-15 year timespan this just means the most likely outcome is wealthy people sitting in brand new cars they own, same as now, except the cars drive themselves while everyone else with an old beater model 2015 is manually driving

Tesla's plan is an interesting model that I think will be lubricate the transition. Sell affordable, high volume autonomous cars, and allow owners to lend those cars to the Tesla "shared fleet" when they don't need them. The owners then get a cut of the fares their cars generate. There are obviously a host of challenges with that idea, but unlike the other companies we're talking about in this thread, they're already public and they actually made some profit this year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They don't have an icicle's chance in satan's rear end in a top hat of going public.
:golfclap:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Tesla's plan is an interesting model that I think will be lubricate the transition. Sell affordable, high volume autonomous cars, and allow owners to lend those cars to the Tesla "shared fleet" when they don't need them. The owners then get a cut of the fares their cars generate. There are obviously a host of challenges with that idea, but unlike the other companies we're talking about in this thread, they're already public and they actually made some profit this year.

yeah, tesla built an actual business (making cars) rather than just rent seeking off of a chunk of the taxi market, so tesla's going to make money with or without robot fleets. although i'd say uber's real business is fundraising

another thing people don't really talk about with the autonomous fleet idea is the increased number of trips made by vehicles with 0 passengers inside, inherently adding to congestion, which is something that can't really happen now. and currently car storage is widely distributed - any fleet operator is going to need physical locations to store and maintain cars during off-peak times. this doesn't have to be a dedicated facility necessarily but you're going to have to have either in house or some very tightly contracted third party mechanics, refulers, car washers, people to vacuum up crumbs and scrub stains out of the seats etc. on payroll. or maybe separate uber service into tiers where if you use the uber bronze plan sometimes you're expected to take care of those chores

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A fully automated fleet could probably be designed to reduce empty trips quite a bit compared to a human driver waiting for their next fare.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

withak posted:

A fully automated fleet could probably be designed to reduce empty trips quite a bit compared to a human driver waiting for their next fare.

the idea of an automated fleet though implies that it's way more widely used than the current taxi market. like if 80% of the cars on the road were for hire rather than just like 2%. the fleet is supposed to replace widespread car ownership

also taxis dont relate here because of the wide disparity in distribution of trips by time. the huge bulk of trips are made during the morning and evening commutes, this is why rush hour exists. taxis are mostly used for specific purposes, not for daily commutes. any autonomous fleet operator is going to have to find a place to store all those cars at 4am. and it gives me chills to think about the 'optimal' number of cars provided for the market intersecting with rush hour, i highly doubt for-profit operators are going to have sufficient fleet sizes to meet all travel demand during rush hour (given that if you have 100k cars to move 100k commuters then you have 99k vehicles sitting around doing nothing in the small hours of the morning when everyone is asleep) which means the people on the low paying bronze plans are certainly going to wait more than five minutes during peak travel times

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, I don't. Their EBITDA was negative one point two billion dollars in the first two quarters of 2016, yet they're valued at 69 billion dollars on the private market. They don't have an icicle's chance in satan's rear end in a top hat of going public. If they do, it will be the most insane display of magical thinking in tech history.

Yes, good, I like it.