Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Centurium posted:

Thought: There is water under the ice. The ice currently supports mechs. Infernos may change that.

I like the way you think.

Gwaihir posted:

I think you should get back on Jabber!!

Sorry, I keep forgetting to turn it on ever since I switched to Win 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

You could maybe give them at least 24 hours before you try to have them booted, friend.

I'm not going to boot anyone, I'm just making an announcement to make sure they realized I'd sent a PM, since I didn't do it in the results post.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not going to boot anyone, I'm just making an announcement to make sure they realized I'd sent a PM, since I didn't do it in the results post.

I am pretty sure that was targeted at Gwaihir, who already wanted to write them out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean, if they're not responding, then ??? That's why we have an alternate list.

(It's not like I magically get to sneak in if enough people afk out)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I for one feel that if you do not respond to a message for something you signed up for a year or five years ago within the hour, you should be publicly flogged by an alternate.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

I for one feel that if you do not respond to a message for something you signed up for a year or five years ago within the hour, you should be publicly flogged by an alternate.

Settle down there, Teddy Kurita.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You're reading some malice in my post that just isn't there! It's not like we're doing some strict thing here, if you don't check in often enough to catch this mission then you can just get in the next.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Probably am, yeah.

Bloody Pom posted:

Settle down there, Teddy Kurita.

That's how they do things in the Legion of Vega, anyway.

The Friendly Persuaders don't wait the hour.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
A Timberwolf! Not only the mech type that got a certain mercenary screwed by a certain Church militant, but also tasked with killing a Wolf Spider (the coward who refused to come up and fight suicidally under the guns of a Superheavy) in a mission where the ugly surprise is in the assault.

You can almost feel the history come alive.

Sel Nar posted:

The fun of working two high-volume jobs that ramp up for the month of December; I'm pulling 60+ hour work weeks all month, and don't get a day off until the 31st.

I really wanted to join in, but the work schedule really kicked me in the teeth this time around. Sorry guys.

December is the month that doesn't exist: it just kinda disappears under a haze of stress.

Edit: Also, I'm going with the bog standard Elemental. Those Ironholds are tempting as hell, but that low movement might be a problem if the Elementals Battle Armor want to try and move together against a specific target.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
One other thing relevant to BattleArmor chat, is PTN's houserule about Vibro-claw damage makes them way way more deadly. Normally leg attacks deal 4 damage, or 6 with dual claws, but adding +1 per claw, per trooper, bumps that up to 14 damage for a leg attack from the Wraiths. Same for the Swarm attacks- If the Wraiths manage to swarm something, then their followup attack is a guaranteed hit that does 30 damage (20 from machine guns, 10 from vibro claws) all to one section of a 'Mech.

The magnetic claws on the Salamanders don't provide bonus damage, but they do make swarm attacks easier to make, and also make it harder for swarmed units to shake them off.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

If the Wraiths manage to swarm something, then their followup attack is a guaranteed hit that does 30 damage (20 from machine guns, 10 from vibro claws) all to one section of a 'Mech.

Welp, I'm sold. Wraith it is. :v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The Ironholds would also do that much damage!
(They're just slower so it'd be harder to bushwhack someone with them).
The Salamanders come in third at 20 damage swarms, and then the Sylphs and normal Elementals do 15 a pop.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Gwaihir posted:

One other thing relevant to BattleArmor chat, is PTN's houserule about Vibro-claw damage makes them way way more deadly. Normally leg attacks deal 4 damage, or 6 with dual claws, but adding +1 per claw, per trooper, bumps that up to 14 damage for a leg attack from the Wraiths. Same for the Swarm attacks- If the Wraiths manage to swarm something, then their followup attack is a guaranteed hit that does 30 damage (20 from machine guns, 10 from vibro claws) all to one section of a 'Mech.

The magnetic claws on the Salamanders don't provide bonus damage, but they do make swarm attacks easier to make, and also make it harder for swarmed units to shake them off.

They are pretty sexy, and would probably work quite well in the woods, but the sheer size of the map makes melee-oriented Battle Armor somewhat daunting. If someone *does* go with some claw-based units, a squad or two of regular Elementals can support them by shooting mechs (or more likely, enemy Elementals) while they get close. If we end up with a few Ironholds, the Elementals can support them by getting close and using those Anti Personal Weapon System: Heavy(?) Grenade Launchers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
As far as we know, the Widowmakers lost not only their entire Aerospace compliment, but also their Elementals as well, so you should be safe in that regard.

I'm not sure how the APWS Grenades work, really, it's hard to find the details of that stuff in TW or tacops. Is it just another weapon that they can shoot along with the AP Gauss?

If players get to choose the spot they airdrop in to, then that would make a big difference in how much mileage they can get out of swarming, too, otherwise it's really tempting to just fort up and make the woods in to Ironhold deathtraps. .

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

Heavy(?) Grenade Launchers.

Heavy Assault Grenade Launchers.

APWS are small-scale infantry weapons and work exactly like any other infantry squad's weapon, just strapped to the Elemental's arm. They have a damage rating and most Elementals come standard with an assault rifle which has somewhere around a 0.47 damage rating. Which means a full team of five really does 16 damage in a swarm attack rather than 15.

The Heavy Assault Grenade Launcher does 1.93 damage per. Which is high enough to round up to +10 damage on a swarm attack, which is why I had to houserule the Wraiths a bit to make them competitive with that.

Nova's objective has changed, since the current one is probably a bit too difficult to accomplish. This objective is a better fit for the player.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

All right, quick guide to the five Battle Armor choices you get.

AP Gauss Elemental
The Elemental is the Clan workhorse BA because it is good at almost everything. The AP Gauss Rifle cements that-3 damage per trooper is a solid amount of firepower for a BA, especially since you can deal it at up to 9 hexes-SRM or Medium Laser range. You have 2 shots of 2 SRMs per trooper, which means up to 20 damage per turn for 2 turns at that very same range. Jump 3 and good armor seal the deal. The APGR Elemental, unlike the other BAs, carries a AP Weapons Mount, which in this case is used to load a Heavy Auto Grenade Launcher.

This means it gets a special antipersonnel attack, which deals an extra 1.16 damage per trooper at a range of up to 3 hexes (and a to-hit bonus of -2 at 0 hexes). This is not overwhelming, but is very good as a perk.

For the rest of the BAs I'm going to write some thoughts on why you might take it. For the Elemental, it's so good that I'm going to write on why you might not want to take it.

Why you wouldn't want to use the APGR Elemental
-Not as specialized. The Wraith and Salamander are deadlier swarmers. The Ironhold is tougher and can put out 30 damage to 9 hexes all day long. The Sylph... well I'm sure you can say some good things about the Sylph at some point.
-That's pretty much it.

Salamander
The Salamander is specialized in doing two things. 1: Making Mech pilots very very sad. 2: Making infantry very very sad. Its armor is weak-7 points means it can barely survive an ERML and an ISLL will kill it. Its weapons are much shorter ranged than the Elemental and it carries 1/4th the missiles. That said, it has magnetic battle claws, which make it much better at swarming enemy mechs. It also has 2 flamers per unit-which means they do 33% more damage when swarming, or they can set things on fire to create heat. Their OS-SRM-1 generally is an Inferno missile, with all the hilarity that entails (remember that if a Battle Armor isn't fire resistant, 3 Inferno missiles will kill it no matter how tough it is). Oh and they use Fire Resistant Armor as well so they can't burn themselves to death.

Why you'd want to use the Salamander
-You want to ruin some motherfucker's day up close and personal.
-You are a pyromaniac.
-You want to primarily use your BA point as an anti-mech tool or an area denial weapon.

Ironhold
The Ironhold is big and tough and slow. It jumps only 2, but it can survive a direct hit from a gauss rifle with 16 points of fire-resistant armor-so it can't be chumped by a bunch of Infernos either. 2 AP Gauss Rifles means that it has sustainable, significant damage output that will last until the end of the battle.

Why you'd want to use the Ironhold
-You want to park your Battle Armor at a good firing position and then just open up on the nearest most delicious targets until they die.
-You want to use your battle armor as a defense against other battle armor.

Wraith
This is actually a PTN custom unless there's a copy-paste typo. The canon Wraith uses Basic Stealth Armor, which is a BA scale Stealth Armor (+0/1/2 to-hits for enemy weapons). It seems like this version uses Fire Resistant instead, which is more Clan-like but also less nifty. What the Wraith does, though, is swarm things really nastily. As Gwaihir mentioned, the vibroclaw extra damage houserule makes Wraith leg and swarm attacks absolutely vicious. A full point will do 30 damage to a swarmed target, which is basically "welp GG" given the Swarm Damage Table since about half the locations are rear torso armor there's a 1/6th chance of hitting the head.

Why you'd want to use the Wraith
-You play Titanfall a lot and your favorite method to get Titan kills is the rodeo

Sylph
Even with the addition of Fire Resistant Armor, the Sylph is not very good unless you can take advantage of its gimmick. Its main saving grace is that the Sylph is a VTOL, which on one hand gives it Move 5 (this is good) and I don't believe Battle Armors care about facings so you can move 5 hexes every turn (this is good) but means it's very vulnerable to LB-X weapons. The MiPL is actually not a bad weapon, even if it has very short range. Its damage output is comparable to the APGR Elemental, but it can only do it at a much shorter range. However, the Sylph has only 5 armor-it can barely survive an cERSL hit. Speed is life-and you'll need it.

The other gimmick the Sylph has is the Micro Bomb Rack. The Micro Bomb Rack is a 1-shot deal which deals 2 points of damage per active trooper to everything in the targeted hex and everything in the adjacent six hexes. If used correctly, this can put out some pretty huge damage numbers, especially since cluster munitions are AoE damage and thus super-effective against Battle Armor and infantry. If used incorrectly, it means you're going to waste most of your damage potential one way or another.

Why you'd want to use the Sylph
-You feel confident that you can catch a good cluster of enemy units in your one bombing pass.
-You really like to go fast.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I do think it's worth noting on that rundown that one of the nice things about Sylphs on this map in particular is that they can say "crevasse? what crevasse?" far more easily than any other unit, meaning they may add a bit more flexibility.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The standard Ironhold doesn't have Fire Resistant armor. The Fire Resistant version comes with 4 AP Gauss Rifles and no jump jets, so it's basically a big gently caress-you pillbox. Sadly, there's no way to deploy them from an aircraft that doesn't end with 5 dead Ironholds.

Wraiths have basic stealth, if they're showing fire resistant it's a typo.

The Sylph is also consistently the hardest Elemental to shoot since it can hit +2 move with both the +1 elemental and +1 airborn target modifiers. Because they're VTOLs they're also (as mentioned) vulnerable to LB-X Autocannons which get a -3 flak bonus to hit them. Also I'm pretty sure those cluster bombs hit on the punch-hit table if the attack is initiated from above, but I'll have to double check. I don't use Sylphs much (but they're preferable to the battle armor I was originally planning on using: the Hellion, which is just... bad).

Sylphs should have BA Standard armor. I copy/pasted the Salamander a few times too many I guess.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 2, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The standard Ironhold doesn't have Fire Resistant armor. The Fire Resistant version comes with 4 AP Gauss Rifles and no jump jets, so it's basically a big gently caress-you pillbox. Sadly, there's no way to deploy them from an aircraft that doesn't end with 5 dead Ironholds.

The Sylph is also consistently the hardest Elemental to shoot since it can hit +2 move with both the +1 elemental and +1 airborn target modifiers. Because they're VTOLs they're also (as mentioned) vulnerable to LB-X Autocannons which get a -3 flak bonus to hit them. Also I'm pretty sure those cluster bombs hit on the punch-hit table if the attack is initiated from above, but I'll have to double check. I don't use Sylphs much (but they're preferable to the battle armor I was originally planning on using: the Hellion, which is just... bad).

Sylphs should have BA Standard armor. I copy/pasted the Salamander a few times too many I guess.

I guess we know which BA PTN prefers. :flame:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, they're just the first ones I did the sheet for since I mentioned Salamanders in a fluff update. Then I thought "Huh, I should give the players a choice" and expanded options from there.

Edit: Centurium's chosen the Crossbow G, goons let him know what he's gotten himself into.

Double Edit: While all of the Crossbow G's HE ammo is protected by the CASE II, only half of its ER Ammo is. Consequently the unprotected bays will feed their ammo first.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 2, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Night Gyr has 16 heat listed for the Gauss rifle. Think that might be a liiitle high.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The Night Gyr converts heat to disco laser light shows, never not be overheating.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Okay. So that changes a few things. Notably, the Wraith is going to be very tough to hit until it gets in close and once it gets in close it can murder the poo poo out of things pretty well. The Ironhold needs to worry about guys with non-Streak SRMs because 3 hits from Infernos can melt one. The general gist of my post, I believe, stands.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Zaodai posted:

On the other hand, Ultra AC20! And a bunch of medium lasers are never bad.

And yet, I found out first hand how much a UAC/20 can be a trap. Cost me a headshot, it did, because I just had to go Ultra mode at least once in the mission as a personal objective of mine.

E: A Nova, lots of BA, and an Ebon Jag that brings a tear to my eye. Godspeed Goonstars! This will be plenty fun.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 2, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

And yet, I found out first hand how much a UAC/20 can be a trap. Cost me a headshot, it did, because I just had to go Ultra mode at least once in the mission as a personal objective of mine.

E: A Nova, lots of BA, and an Ebon Jag that brings a tear to my eye. Godspeed Goonstars! This will be plenty fun.

Results don't make the decision wrong retroactively. :colbert: That's straight up why online poker was so great, because of people playing results oriented poker strategies. Well last time I folded 2T off suit, and the flop was 10 10 2 and I would have had a full house! So clearly the right play is to bet 2To super hard pre-flop to cash in.

*loses everything*

In conclusion, don't blame the UAC 20 for your own shoddy gunnery, random in-story MechWarrior.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not having good luck with veterans. We'll see if I need to call in an Alternate or two.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
just lmao if you don't constantly pay attention to this thread as a possible player

:v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The pre-turn has already turned out far better than I'd hoped.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Y'know, one day I want to play an off-map artillery piece. Just pick a hex every turn and that's it. no pressure, just eyeball the map and think "yeah, that seems fine" and see what happens.

note: not picky on whether or not its a friendly long tom or arrow IV or whatever

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

Y'know, one day I want to play an off-map artillery piece. Just pick a hex every turn and that's it. no pressure, just eyeball the map and think "yeah, that seems fine" and see what happens.

note: not picky on whether or not its a friendly long tom or arrow IV or whatever

Water balloons full of urine launched from a trebuchet. The mission will be to interrupt a wedding.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

This mission starts out with a conventional high-altitude bombing run, that's close enough.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Is battle armor considered a conventional munition when it lands on the field via bomb bay?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LegendairyBovine posted:

Is battle armor considered a conventional munition when it lands on the field via bomb bay?

They're not deployed via bomb bay, fortunately. They work a bit like paratroopers but the Kirghiz pilots all have Golden Goose to reduce the odds that they'll scatter horribly and get instantly murdered. The Kirghiz has an omni variant with dedicated Elemental carrying capacity and has been retconned into actually being able to deploy them.

The Kirghiz can carry Elementals while also carrying up to 20 bombs on external hardpoints :haw:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

So, apparently, this is happening now.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5-announced/

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly sir. I mean, I love me some Mechwarrior. And their campaign idea (that is probably just going to be them stealing outright from the HBS game) sounds fun. But it's from the people who made MWO, so it's probably going to run like garbage, be buggy as gently caress, and not have proper joystick support. :saddowns:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
PGI is going to make MW5 crash on takeoff. Have they done anything with MWO to earn an ounce of faith?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The core gameplay of MWO was great fun, but their awful decision making and complete inability to evolve the game ruined it. If they can put together a half decent campaign while not loving up the core gameplay this could be very nice. That is a big if, however.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Artificer posted:

PGI is going to make MW5 crash on takeoff. Have they done anything with MWO to earn an ounce of faith?

Well... Some of the mech models aren't complete rear end. Oh, and they added the Kodiak when I thought they wouldn't.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
For a solid year or more their art department was their only saving grace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not having good luck with veterans. We'll see if I need to call in an Alternate or two.

Well, if memory serves you will be coming to my point in the Veteran Queue soonish. :v:

• Locked thread