Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Dem Bones posted:

I set off my smoke alarm probably…95%? less often now that I use one of these as an exhaust fan in the window whenever I sear: http://amzn.to/2gzhfbi

Effectiveness will depend on your apartment/house layout, but I wish I had gotten one way earlier.

I have one of these and can confirm it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
What would you guys experiment with that sous vide makes drastically different from other cooking methods? I've done multiple steaks now, but I'm curious to experiment with other stuff.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Fish. Sv'd fish is loving perfect. The problem is finishing it without a blowtorch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mi cuit salmon is hard to do otherwise. Be sure to follow the salt curing instructions carefully and don't gloss over it.

48 or 72 hour shortribs also excellent (use bone-in, boneless shortrib doesn't get the same effect). There are several different recipes. I haven't done one with a marinade (like David Chang's) but maybe I should try it sometime soon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A quick hit right tight up under the broiler can work in a pinch.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Mi cuit salmon is hard to do otherwise. Be sure to follow the salt curing instructions carefully and don't gloss over it.

48 or 72 hour shortribs also excellent (use bone-in, boneless shortrib doesn't get the same effect). There are several different recipes. I haven't done one with a marinade (like David Chang's) but maybe I should try it sometime soon.

Do you have a link for Chang's recipe? I am intrigued and will have some time over the holidays....

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/48-hour-sous-vide-short-ribs-momofuku/

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crunkjuice posted:

What would you guys experiment with that sous vide makes drastically different from other cooking methods? I've done multiple steaks now, but I'm curious to experiment with other stuff.

These are great, not sure if it's drastically different, but drat good carrots.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Crunkjuice posted:

Hard/soft/poached eggs, carrots, asparagus are all interesting SV. https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-104-f is a weird SV only recipe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Crunkjuice posted:

Maybe try scrambled eggs? They always come out creamier and more flavorful when I SV them (though it's too much effort compared to just throwing the fuckers on the pan most times)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

365c seems rather hot for deep frying

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

365c seems rather hot for deep frying

You'll definitely know your oil is at the right temperature if it's smoking

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

You'll definitely know your oil is at the right temperature if it's smoking
Exploding, more like. At 365 C you're waaaaay past the smoke point of any cooking oil. Past the flash point, for that matter. And are closer to the autoignition temperature than the smoke point.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
:thejoke:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

This meal was my first drat this device was worth buying http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-pork-tenderloin-recipe.html Also stands out for me because it's an easy cook. I could never get pork tenderloin right before because of the whole pork will murder you mindset my parents instilled in me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I have two boneless butterflied 2lb leg of lamb I want to cook up.

Cook times seem to range from 2 hours to 3 days.

HELP!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Multiday cooks give me the heebie-jeebies. Also I live in a tiny apartment and there's no room.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

Also I live in a tiny apartment and there's no room.

The big box setup is nice but unnecessary. I use mine with a stewpot. If you already have one of those, the anova isn't taking up appreciably more room than a stick blender or something.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Norns posted:

I have two boneless butterflied 2lb leg of lamb I want to cook up.

Cook times seem to range from 2 hours to 3 days.

HELP!

Follow the gospel of Saint Kenji. Enjoy the proceeds.

Did it for 5-6 hours at 56C, as I recall.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hey guys, not trying to turn back to cast iron chat, I know it was a bit of a derail earlier. But I figured I'd post my after pics since ya'll helped me so much.

Flax seed @ 500 for 1 hour, wiht 2 hour cooldown, five times.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Jan posted:

Follow the gospel of Saint Kenji. Enjoy the proceeds.

Did it for 5-6 hours at 56C, as I recall.

Thanks! Gunna give that a shot! Looks great.

Norns fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 4, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Norns posted:

Thanks! Gunna give that a shot! Looks great.

Yeah I never expected it to come out so good, its like night and day if you look at my before pics back a page or so. I don't know why I was so nervous about it, it was a bit of a pita, but nothing too bad, now to sear some chicken breast for ramen!

Which leads me to my next question, how the heck do I know if my Cast Iron is hot enough to sear but not too hot? Or does it not matter? I have no idea how long to leave it on the stove for.

edit: Well now I feel like an idiot, you were talking about the food post, I should have assumed :negative:

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 4, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah I never expected it to come out so good, its like night and day if you look at my before pics back a page or so. I don't know why I was so nervous about it, it was a bit of a pita, but nothing too bad, now to sear some chicken breast for ramen!

Which leads me to my next question, how the heck do I know if my Cast Iron is hot enough to sear but not too hot? Or does it not matter? I have no idea how long to leave it on the stove for.

I was replying to the lamb but your cast iron does look good!

I know mines hot enough when it starts just starts to smoke.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Norns posted:

I was replying to the lamb but your cast iron does look good!

If you want alternatives, he also put up a black olive leg of lamb using the same principles, and while this rosemary and garlic one is for a slow roasted recipe, it'd probably also work sous vide.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I've seen people use ping pong balls to keep the heat in for long cooks. Does this work, seems easier than making a lid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It helps retain heat but you will still have evaporation without a lid

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

BraveUlysses posted:

It helps retain heat but you will still have evaporation without a lid

That doesn't seem to be a big deal for me, easy enough to add a little water every 12 hours. I got a cooler instead of a cambro so making a lid will be annoying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Far as I can tell everyone who uses ping-pong balls ends up giving up on ping-pong balls after a while because they are annoying and the effectiveness is arguable. I mean, just think about washing them

Also, keep in mind that evaporation isn't just water loss, it's also heat loss. Ping pong balls don't stop either as effectively as a full lid, so it takes longer for water to get up to temp and more electricity to maintain it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

5436 posted:

I've seen people use ping pong balls to keep the heat in for long cooks. Does this work, seems easier than making a lid.

You could also buy special beads that float and hold the heat in... or not fall for some mumbo jumbo extra expensive but not needed doodads designed to milk food hipsters and just your lid. I am usually reluctant to do precision cutouts due to lack of skill but PC cuts really well and dremeling my lid took all of 20 minutes.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just slap a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil on top. It usually lasts me a dozen or so cooks before I rip the thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think ping png balls are probably better suited for a commercial kitchen where taking the lid off constantly will be a big pain in the rear end. You don't have to do it as often if you're just cooking a single meal, so the lid is a better option.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Knifegrab posted:

Hey guys, not trying to turn back to cast iron chat, I know it was a bit of a derail earlier. But I figured I'd post my after pics since ya'll helped me so much.

Final word: when you cook with it, some of it might fall off and turn patchy and ugly. Fear not! Keep cooking in it with vegetable oil and it will fix itself eventually.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Knifegrab posted:

:toot:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Also, keep in mind that evaporation isn't just water loss, it's also heat loss. Ping pong balls don't stop either as effectively as a full lid, so it takes longer for water to get up to temp and more electricity to maintain it
Other way around, actually. Evaporation is a function of surface area, and a single layer of ping pong balls will reduce the surface area up to about 90% (ideally...practically---due to edge effects and so on---it'll be somewhat lower).

Heat loss at the surface will be dominated by evaporative cooling (over e.g. radiative losses), so any system that reduces evaporation will be better at heat retention (unless you're doing something crazy like floating elaborate heat sinks on the surface or something). A lid will capture and re-condense a certain amount of water vapour, but this won't be a simple function of surface area.

As a pratical matter, however, unless you're looking at corner case where you're operating at the ragged limits of the heating capacity of your IC or you're cooking over very, very long periods of time in an arid environment or something silly like that it's not going to make any difference to a home cook. So most people are better off deciding based on personal preference, perceived convenience, or that kind of thing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Looks good, did you try to cook anything on it yet like an egg quick to see how the non-stick is?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Heat loss at the surface will be dominated by evaporative cooling (over e.g. radiative losses),

I don't see any comparative tests on this so I might have to try it myself over vacation

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Plinkey posted:

Looks good, did you try to cook anything on it yet like an egg quick to see how the non-stick is?

Haven't done eggs yet, just the chicken and the surface is somewhat non-stick but far from perfect.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Decided I don't want mine in the corner and made another one with the hole in the side instead of the corner.

If anyone wants this, I will mail it to you for $7 (cost of the lid) plus shipping.

Is this still available? And if so which container does it go with?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone know what diameter hole cutter is perfect for anova? My lid shipped today :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone know what diameter hole cutter is perfect for anova? My lid shipped today :)

60mm, or a little over 2.3 inches by my calipers for the Wifi/BT model.

e: that is, that's the diameter of the stick. You might want to bore a slightly larger hole.