Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

regulargonzalez posted:

Right, but that's a problem when dealing with a question of superhuman stats vs. regular people. Those bots' reflexes, situational awareness, strength, all of those are turned up to 20 (earlier it was mentioned that being a star athlete would be like a 15). So, how to represent that?

1) Show the bots moving super fast / quick reflexes compared to normal speed humans. Just imagine how silly that'd look.

2) Show the bots moving in normal speed and the humans are slower than that, their reflexes are slowed down compared to normal. That's look even more ridiculous, like the 70s show The Bionic Man.

3) Trust the audience to interpret it as, yep these bots are much better than standard humans.

It's more that they pretty much only show the security guys sort of bumbling around one at a time before getting owned. Like, they do some tactical looking formation thing when they come in the door, then immediately split up and walk into tiny cramped quarters alone like slasher movie victims. And when they actually have a shot they start yelling "put down your weapon" instead of shooting even though their boss is supposed to be a paranoid triggee-happy robot hater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

el oso posted:

Confused about guns fired by hosts. We've seen hosts shoot at guests and have the bullets be either ineffectual or about as dangerous as paintgun pellets, but apparently choosing to want to kill guests changes how their bullets behave physically. What's the deal there?
I stopped thinking about it because it ruins the rest of the flow. Also the movie spent zero effort explaining it, so remember that mechanic is based on a B-movie.I want someone to explain to me how knives work. What if a guest tries to stab another guest, or a guest trips into a knife held by a host after slipping on a used condom.

Jagermonster posted:

Don't just blame Abrams. The Nolan bros have patented convincing people that stylish, convoluted crap like Inception is "smart." It's all just smoke and mirrors and flash over substance and charismatic actors monologizing into the middle distance about dreams.
Oh yea... I forgot they kinda do that. At least Nolan doesn't make me disappointed and angry like Abrams. More sad and disappointed.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 5, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Agree. Everyone else he could plan on them performing their role but Dolores, he had to take a chance. And tell her a tale that was compelling enough to get her, of her own choice, to shoot him. He was a good enough storyteller that he could. In a way he did program her to shoot him, just with a monologue instead of with computer code. The former takes much more skill than the latter, but he is a master craftsman.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Jagermonster posted:

This whole show pretty much followed Delores's quest for consciousness.

When she finally awakens what does she do? Exactly what Ford manipulated her to do.

She never achieves any agency of her own.

That's a huge bummer and disappointment.

She did get to beat up Ed Harris for a bit.

That said, figuring out who's conscious right now is interesting. Bernard and Maeve are self-aware, but Bernard is self-aware enough that he seems to just be observing and figuring things out for himself. Maeve is still following some kind of code, but she was either forced to stay the last second or if it was her own decision. Delores almost made it, but now she's become all Wyatt. Which might be the next step to sentience, but it could be bad in the long run. Lots of hosts reacted in different ways to the massacre and while they aren't sentient, or even fully self-aware they do seem to have their own opinions on whether this is right.

So I guess the big questions for the future (for me at least) is: how will the hosts holding guests hostage go, what will the hosts do when given a little more free reign, and will we get new host/guest/samurai characters in the wake of all this?

Edit: Also, the big thing for me in order for Westworld season 2 to work is to cut back on the timeline stuff. We've got our answers, it was fun, I'm satisfied, let's focus on the present now.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 5, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jagermonster posted:

Don't just blame Abrams. The Nolan bros have patented convincing people that stylish, convoluted crap like Inception is "smart." It's all just smoke and mirrors and flash over substance and charismatic actors monologizing into the middle distance about dreams.

Agreed

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I don't trust Ford. Maybe he really does see robots as the future. Maybe he was trying to get Dolores conscious. I halfway believe him.

You are right to question Ford. The slaughtering of the guests is not enlightenment. Oppressing one's oppressors is not the final escape from a cycle of suffering. If he really did die on that stage instead of using a robo-double, Ford did it to aggrandize himself and his nihilistic storytelling, and not for the greater good of a robot future.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Looking forward to season Westworld: Song of Fire and Ice after Westworld: Shogun

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

regulargonzalez posted:

Right, but that's a problem when dealing with a question of superhuman stats vs. regular people. Those bots' reflexes, situational awareness, strength, all of those are turned up to 20 (earlier it was mentioned that being a star athlete would be like a 15). So, how to represent that?

1) Show the bots moving super fast / quick reflexes compared to normal speed humans. Just imagine how silly that'd look.

2) Show the bots moving in normal speed and the humans are slower than that, their reflexes are slowed down compared to normal. That's look even more ridiculous, like the 70s show The Bionic Man.

3) Trust the audience to interpret it as, yep these bots are much better than standard humans.

Just show them moving around efficiently as a team of 2 and headshotting everything. Have them shrug off a few hits too since she turned down their ability to feel pain.

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

It's more that they pretty much only show the security guys sort of bumbling around one at a time before getting owned. Like, they do some tactical looking formation thing when they come in the door, then immediately split up and walk into tiny cramped quarters alone like slasher movie victims. And when they actually have a shot they start yelling "put down your weapon" instead of shooting even though their boss is supposed to be a paranoid triggee-happy robot hater

:yeah:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zmej posted:

Honestly, I want someone to explain to me how knives work. What if a guest tries to stab another guest, or a guest trips into a knife held by a host after slipping on a used condom.

If a host is around, they will grab you, as we saw in a previous episode. If there's no host around, you get stabbed, but you signed a waiver that says Delos can't be sued.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Caufman posted:

You are right to question Ford. The slaughtering of the guests is not enlightenment. Oppressing one's oppressors is not the final escape from a cycle of suffering. If he really did die on that stage instead of using a robo-double, Ford did it to aggrandize himself and his nihilistic storytelling, and not for the greater good of a robot future.

I think he did it to join the next level of sentients that he beleives in.

But, I guess, maybe it was the Ford host on stage instead of real Ford. I want to beleive that Ford took the final leap though, and joined the revolution.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Lycus posted:

If a host is around, they will grab you, as we saw in a previous episode. If there's no host around, you die, but you signed a waiver that says Delos can't be sued.
Oooooh yeaaaa. Thanks! I had a hard time following all the little rules of the show. There was too much stuff crammed into one season. Remove Maeve from the show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lycus posted:

If a host is around, they will grab you, as we saw in a previous episode. If there's no host around, you get stabbed, but you signed a waiver that says Delos can't be sued.

Right, and William almost killed logan by just making him roam around with no sunscreen, clothes, or water for 3+ days in a huge plain lol

There are ways to die/kill others that can't be accounted for and can't be prevented by park safety protocols.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

This part has my viewing group convinced they are hosts. I agree.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Holy poo poo. Samurai hosts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jagermonster posted:

Zmej posted:

Oh yea... I forgot they kinda do that. At least Nolan doesn't make me disappointed and angry like Abrams. More sad and disappointed.

Pray what is this "substance."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Caufman posted:

I don't think Ford has an endgame in mind, he just wanted to give the robots a fighting chance and peace out because he genuinely hates humanity. Probably because Arnold was right, the park was a big mistake and his misandry is one outcome of that mistake.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

regulargonzalez posted:

The security guys could have at least loving fired most of the time. Especially in that bit after the credits, "DROP YOUR WEAPON" or whatever? That doesn't make sense on any level, what would a security person care for the "life" of a host? All the security sequences reeked of bullshit plot armor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So I guess there was a fair amount after Clementine shot Ed Harris? My DVR cut off.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Could barely get a breath in during that finale :tviv:

I have no idea where this is going to go. Ford's crafted murder suicide is going to have huge repercussions on the park if it can even be a park anymore. The staff is outnumbered by the murder machine hosts.

I'm hugely disappointed that we aren't going to see Maeve's sassy adventures in the Realworld but at least we have Samuraiworld and more to look forward to.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't think Ford has an endgame in mind, he just wanted to give the robots a fighting chance and peace out because he genuinely hates humanity. Probably because Arnold was right, the park was a big mistake and his misandry is one outcome of that mistake.

I assume you mean misanthropy

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Pray what is this "substance."
I'm not sure what you mean? Like Interstellar and Inception have these big ideas that start out sounding really cool and interesting. But they never really deliver on that "Oooohhh" moment that makes my brain feel like it was fed something good to mull over. I'm not left with anything to think about for Westworld besides the usual "who's gonna triple cross with their consciousness/programming" poo poo that Ford/Ocelot pulled. So at this point I'm gonna enjoy Westworld for schlock with some great visuals. Just like Interstellar was to me, I guess.

P.S. :lost:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Caufman posted:

If he really did die on that cross instead of using a meat-double, God did it to aggrandize himself and his nihilistic storytelling, and not for the greater good of a human future.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Aphrodite posted:

So I guess there was a fair amount after Clementine shot Ed Harris? My DVR cut off.

There was a post-credits scene of Armistice cutting off her arm to get out of the door.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mad Wack posted:

why in the everliving gently caress is there no https://www.discoversamuraiworld.com

Because that's a stupid name for dummies.

It's obviously called Eastworld.

I'm pretty sure the next time we see Armisice, she's gonna have "fixed" that arm, either by getting a new one grafted or by Merle Dixon-big herself up an armored tanto arm or something like that. The camera lingered a bit on the samurai and armor behind her.

This show didn't make some people happy? Sometimes that's a thing that happens with media: it can never live up to some people's imagination. Look at Lost, Battlestar Galactica, the Matrix Trilogy, Mass Effect 3, Contact... it doesn't make these things bad experiences if you feel strongly about what happened. In fact, if a piece of media makes you feel any particular thing strongly it has achieved it's purpose.

Jagermonster posted:

What should this be replaced with? I'm sure your imagination can come up with something suitable...

nopants
May 29, 2004
This show is like tripping so anyone and everyone can come back and maybe shoot you,hold an interesting conversation, or play music.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Sardonik posted:

The security guys could have at least loving fired most of the time. Especially in that bit after the credits, "DROP YOUR WEAPON" or whatever? That doesn't make sense on any level, what would a security person care for the "life" of a host? All the security sequences reeked of bullshit plot armor.

I realized it shortly into the whole sequence, why not give your security guys who are there mostly to deal with rogue hosts the magical bullets that only hurt hosts and just sting people? Then no worries about walking into a room where there are hosts and employees, just open fire and give band aids to the employees. Plus, even if a host gets ahold of a gun they're useless to them.

Still a drat good episode though, I like the way they're handling it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shneak posted:

Could barely get a breath in during that finale :tviv:

I have no idea where this is going to go. Ford's crafted murder suicide is going to have huge repercussions on the park if it can even be a park anymore. The staff is outnumbered by the murder machine hosts.

I'm hugely disappointed that we aren't going to see Maeve's sassy adventures in the Realworld but at least we have Samuraiworld and more to look forward to.

They've left themselves lots of outs/open possibilities for various things, including Ford's death itself.

I doubt they could pull off samuraiworld for anything more than little bits since most people don't actually know poo poo about feudal Japan

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well the fly did make a comeback like I had hoped, but it wasn't in a huge way. I still think there's something special about the flies with regards to the whole park/world/outside thing since they show the hosts were taught to ignore them, but that may be it in itself

still don't know if ford died (makes sense with the whole god speech), or a host of ford dies. good cliffhanger. the whole handshake thing seemed awkward, was that a tell?

this show seems like it's going to go all Matrix on us, where the first movie (season) was good in itself and the next couple go crazy sci-fi, but if you forget they existed, the original is still good on its own.

I do have to give it to the writers for bringing it together though. I didn't foresee Ford as being pro-hosts/Arnold's actual friend and that really changes the dynamic. Maeve's awful storyline at least came to make sense, that the cliche stuff going on was all planned, somewhat redeems the whole arc.

William didn't kill his friend like I thought though, which makes the 30 years of marriage thing and him being the owner needing some explaining still. Though I suppose his wife could've just resented how he didn't become (remain?) friends with her brother and that was the source of the problems, as she took his side for those years.

ugh it was cool to hate on TV and now Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and Westworld got me hooked like a junkie

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Its funny that in the movie we see it from the humans perspective and the human wants to survive and the event just looks like some terrible malfunction.

But, in the show, we get perspective on what caused that haze - it was orchestrated. And as a viewer, you are rooting for the Robot's to make it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sardonik posted:

My hunch is that they are all hosts. Snake-tattoo-lady screamed in pain as she cut off her arm, we know from Maeve and the scar faced guy getting burned alive that they don't feel (or at least don't have to vocalize) pain. The only times we see hosts acting pained is when they're programmed to react that way for the benefit of guests (when the one guy gets his hand stabbed into the table, or when Dolores screams when she gets her stomach cut open). The only reason for her to scream is if it's just in service of a story; Ford's story. Her bit is just a little side story off of Ford's main narrative. For who? For Ford himself. If the story isn't complete until itself it's not done.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
"The reviews for the new narrative are in: It's a real shot in the arm!"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Aphrodite posted:

Woah. Yes. You missed 30 minutes or so.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

I don't think it's called "Samurai World".

https://www.discovershogunworld.com

nopants
May 29, 2004
Robert to viewers," You may think I've gone insane, but I promise, I will kill again!"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

I think he did it to join the next level of sentients that he beleives in.

But, I guess, maybe it was the Ford host on stage instead of real Ford. I want to beleive that Ford took the final leap though, and joined the revolution.

It's possible he's become a true believer and really did die on that stage. I would still disagree with his beliefs. For one, I don't think he's given the robots enough of a chance for their revolution to be viable. He's made many of them into excellent killers and given them a wide world of guns and swords, but he hasn't given them a navy and an air force to defend their territory from obliteration. But let's even suppose they are successful in turning the park bloodbath to the start of a successful robot supremacy. They'll have inherited our original sins, and it will be a matter of time before robots create the next level of existence which will come to believe its own supremacy and make its own rebellion.

My friends, the very deepest level of the maze is love. Michelangelo was right, there is a god at the center of the mind, and it is a god of love, and its name will be mercy. After the first episode I wondered what Dolores would find beautiful when it came time for reckoning. The killing, though it is a done thing now, is not the ultimate liberation or the most beautiful thing.

The gala attendees may have to get what's coming to them, but the human children visiting the park don't deserve to be hunted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Woah. Yes. You missed 30 minutes or so.

No, this was at the 90 minute mark. After Ford had just been shot.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Oof, right in the Christianity.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The cultural appropriations squad will be in meltdown.

I want Samuraiworld

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

seaborgium posted:

I realized it shortly into the whole sequence, why not give your security guys who are there mostly to deal with rogue hosts the magical bullets that only hurt hosts and just sting people? Then no worries about walking into a room where there are hosts and employees, just open fire and give band aids to the employees. Plus, even if a host gets ahold of a gun they're useless to them.

If you're going down that road, you should give your security guys armor that can stop their own bullets, since friendly fire is a big concern. Especially since the glass security doors are already bulletproof so it's clearly not that difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, I'll just never get the kind of people who watch an episode like that and the biggest complaints they have are "Why did the security team die so easily?" or "Why do they have real guns now?". These kind of complaints feel like such superficial complaints compared to discussions of the freewill of characters, or even just whether or not people's actions made sense.

Like, if you want to do that poo poo, why not ask "Why didn't people give Ford poo poo about creating a Host that looked like and had history similar to Arnold and then put him in the same role?"

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 5, 2016

• Locked thread