Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

PostNouveau posted:

Somebody should do a good Simpsons podcast. There's one called "Everything's Coming Up Podcast" and it seems to be picking up steam, but it's real loving bad and all they do is nonstop repeat jokes. Somebody's gotta start up a decent one before that poo poo one reaches critical mass.

I like Four Finger Discount, it's two Australian guys going through every episode in order. Though I might be biased as I'm Aussie myself. Some of the guys who do Laser Time also do Talking Simpsons, but I haven't listened to it so I don't know if it's any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Guy Mann posted:

Criminal is a good alternative, it's a true crime podcast but it has a way more humanistic approach and is willing to shake things up so even when it covers heinous crimes you get a handful of lesser but still interesting cases as a palette cleanser.

The recent episode about a girl who has been a victim of identity theft for her entire life only to posthumously find out that her mother was the one doing it the entire time is a particularly good contrast because instead of ranting and raving about how sociopaths are a menace to society it mostly focuses on how it effected the life of the now grown-up woman and how she used it constructively to fuel her own work combating identity theft.

Criminal's episode "He's Neutral" might be one of my favorite podcasts of all time.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, Criminal is better at letting the story be what the story is. Less Serial-style credulous sympathy for the accused and less Sword-and-Scale-style Nancy Grace terror and righteous fury.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Weird Sandwich posted:

I like Four Finger Discount, it's two Australian guys going through every episode in order. Though I might be biased as I'm Aussie myself. Some of the guys who do Laser Time also do Talking Simpsons, but I haven't listened to it so I don't know if it's any good.

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Evil Vin posted:

I also started listening to Sword and Scale because of this thread. I gave up on it after one of his evil kid episodes. It just wasn't doing anything for me, also the host's constant mentions of it being "your favorite podcast" had driven me crazy. I now listen to The Unresolved Podcast in its place.

I'm listening to Worst Episode Ever, but that's also a huge piece of poo poo with its constant circlejerks of super lame in-jokes.

Just listen to four finger discount if you want a good simpsons podcast.
Also listen to the simpsons easter egg special on the cracked podcast.
The cracked podcast is actually pretty good, I do fast forward through most of the music he plays in between interviews.

Still like tales from the mind boat, even if it's mostly a somewhat depressed guy telling stories from his adventures as a stand up in australia.

Adam buxton has some very in depth interviews with comedians, if you need a break from marc maron.
Same for Richard herring.

I'm now giving "my favorite murder" a go. It sounds like it will be a bit like criminal, but maybe a bit too upbeat, considering the subject.

"No such thing as a fish" is nice if you like the bbc show QI

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mrfart posted:

The cracked podcast is actually pretty good, I do fast forward through most of the music he plays in between interviews.

The Cracked Podcast is good when Jack O'Brien isn't talking. He is just the worst host they could possibly have chosen and the only way I can still listen to it is by skipping his bits at the start and end and also any episode in which he or David Wong feature too heavily. Get Swaim or Schmidt to host it and instantly it would be a much, much better show.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Has David Wong ever been right about anything at any time? Even back when I read Cracked I had to skip his columns.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

Has David Wong ever been right about anything at any time? Even back when I read Cracked I had to skip his columns.
He's right about as often as anyone else, he just has an annoying way of acting like an expert on things he has little or no idea about and presenting simple ideas as deep and complex. Still, he's not nearly as bad as John Cheese.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tiggum posted:

He's right about as often as anyone else, he just has an annoying way of acting like an expert on things he has little or no idea about and presenting simple ideas as deep and complex. Still, he's not nearly as bad as John Cheese.
Ah yes mister "Have I told you I was poor once yet today"

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Just remember guys, every month the Sword and Scale guy makes almost $22,500 on Patreon.

Evil Vin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 6, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hahah wow he gets more than Uhh Yeah dude and WHM combined and a few of his episodes were literally like "I'm going to play the entirety of this hosed up gore/suicide clip" to fill most of their run time in the worst possible ways
I guess the true crime loving hick demo is prime and not very picky, time to Nancy grace it up and make some quick bank. Brb gonna make a murder podcast

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Well you can just plagiarize other people work since apparently that's what he did on the last episode according to Reddit.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Evil Vin posted:

Well you can just plagiarize other people work since apparently that's what he did on the last episode according to Reddit.

Hey, it worked for The Dollop.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Evil Vin posted:

Just remember guys, every month the Sword and Scale guy makes almost $22,500 on Patreon.
Hey good for him, I guess. Seems kind of unfair it's doubling up what people pay for (say) Radio War Nerd but hey the world is unfair.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So yeah "my favorite murder" was a but too jolly for the subject. Hearing two rather nasally valley girls or whatever they're called chatter about their day more than the actual subject got a bit annoying to me.

Stranglers is a good one if you're looking for more of the same. They're clearly surfing on the popularity wave of "criminal" and the likes. But at least it's well done.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If that bothers you than never listen to the boogie monster as I think they have made it to the subject about 2 times, and each time was for about 10 minutes. Easily in my top list of podcasts though, gotta get that biscuit recipe!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Whoever recommended Criminal, thank you. I was looking for a podcast like sword and scale that didn't sound like it came from some dudes basement and it's perfect. The ladies voice on there sounds like it could put meth addicts to sleep but it's a very good podcast. I was worried about the length but 20-25 minutes is a perfect length. I guess it doesn't need to be as long as when you aren't just airing full 911 calls or police interviews.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ah yes mister "Have I told you I was poor once yet today"

Hahaha I used to contribute articles to Cracked, and that nails Cheese perfectly (I just googled to double check his name, and typing in "Cracked John" suggests "cracked John cheese poor".)

David Wong was an good editor to work with, he kicked some of my article pitches to the approved queue so he is fine folk. Kinda a high school newspaper editor with a larger fiefdom. I think attempting to moderate their boards broke his brain a bit, they have a large userbase but no :10bux: screening fee or decent mods so closer to reddit than SA. I still have no clue why John Dies at the End was popular, I only saw the movie.

Regarding Simpsons Podcasts, I've been enjoying Talking Simpsons. Henry Gilbert and Bob Mackey are hilarious and have tons of insider knowledge. Lots of good drops, so far no guests from the show yet.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Probably has come up already but the other true crime podcast I'd be recommend is Crimetown (though it's less incident-based and more kind of character and organization-based)

Goose42
Dec 30, 2002

mrfart posted:

So yeah "my favorite murder" was a but too jolly for the subject. Hearing two rather nasally valley girls or whatever they're called chatter about their day more than the actual subject got a bit annoying to me.

Stranglers is a good one if you're looking for more of the same. They're clearly surfing on the popularity wave of "criminal" and the likes. But at least it's well done.

If you're looking for a good in-between to Sword and Scale and My Favorite Murder, try True Crime Garage. Two guys going over cases (one per episode) who certainly aren't experts, don't pretend to be, but research fairly well and offer theories and whatnot in a respectful manner most of the time. Never try to be sensational just for the sake of it, either.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inward Empire although it has the same glacial update process as the other history podcasts.

Then I just have to subscribe to all of them!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just binge listened to all of In The Dark, it was good. It started off being about this specific child murder but quickly broadened out to being all about how cops are terrible at catching murderers.

Is there a general true crime podcast thread?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Anyone have any good History podcasts? I don't really have alot of interest in military history specifically. I listened to weird history and I did listen to the George Carlin Hardcore History about world war 1 which was interesting but I want something a little earlier and not specifically about war.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
If you like American history Backstory is p good.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Does anyone know of any podcasts on the history of electronic music (or synthesizers or anything related)?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I've listened to like 3 podcasts ever - all of them because I read about them here on SA first - and now I've listened to all of them all the way through I'd like to find something else to listen to while I grind in Diablo 3. Those podcasts are The F Plus, The Dollop, and I don't even own a television, so I'm hoping to find something in the same ballpark. That is to say decent episode length, focus on comedy, not insufferable to listen to... my interests are broad to the point that as long as the hosts can make it entertaining I'll listen to whatever. I've been reading the threads here in this subforum today (I only discovered this subforum yesterday because I'm dumb) but haven't really found what I'm looking for and a lot of the OPs in the various megathreads are years old so I'm dubious. Is there any sort of generally highly regarded podcasts you goons could point me toward that meet my criteria?

podcasts I've found on my own that I didn't like: criminal (15 minute episodes) nerd poker (meandering) my favorite murder (LOT of ads and hosts treated the subject matter in a way I found unpleasant)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Try Sawbones. Same basic setup as The Dollop; a person tells a story to a dumb guy who cracks wise, but it's about Medical history. They've actually covered some of the same subjects as the Dollop, like the history of breakfast cereals.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I really like Sunday School Dropouts. I also like Chipod Ironicast, but I'm not sure if it's still going or not.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
If you want to listen to bad movies getting made fun of, then We Hate Movies will be perfect for you based on your criteria.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Really enjoying the we hate movies episode I'm listening to right now. Listened to one episode of sawbones already as well its also pretty great. At any rate I have something to listen to while I grind again so thanks guys!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lou read the Internet is good.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pigeotic posted:

Those podcasts are ... I don't even own a television

They've started a second podcast focusing on Rush albums called 'Leave That Thing Alone'. Also maybe 'System Mastery' if you can deal with nerd dice game chat?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Tiggum posted:

I really like Sunday School Dropouts. I also like Chipod Ironicast, but I'm not sure if it's still going or not.

We keep recording them every month. I think eventually Chip is going to drop the entire backlog at once.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Dilettante Ball, on the shorter side, but it's two guys talking about / riffing off of an article they get after clicking Random Article on Wikipedia.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with Nerd Poker's downloads? I listened to the first few episodes, but now it's down everywhere.

Is it stuck behind the pay-wall for Howl.fm? Am I hosed?

Are there any other good D&D podcasts? I'd prefer a group that's funny. I like Harmontown, and I like Nerd Poker. I've tried Critical Hit, but get bored by the rulebook chats and they're slow to start adventures. I only play 5e, and I know enough about 4e, but I'm honestly down for any other editions, or even roleplaying games outside D&D.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah Halperin got greedy and put loving everything behind the paywall, most of his hosts are pissed.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

greatn posted:

Yeah Halperin got greedy and put loving everything behind the paywall, most of his hosts are pissed.

I don't know much about podcasts but putting your content behind a paywall with little to no warning like that seems unwise

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

HIJK posted:

I don't know much about podcasts but putting your content behind a paywall with little to no warning like that seems unwise

They had commercials advertising howl.fm as the only way to listen to old episodes like 9 months ago, but they never actually pulled the trigger. Than all of a sudden last week they pulled the trigger.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

They had commercials advertising howl.fm as the only way to listen to old episodes like 9 months ago, but they never actually pulled the trigger. Than all of a sudden last week they pulled the trigger.

What shows are being affected by this?

Comedy Bang Bang and Improv4Humans have an unspoken message/mission statement about "everything is free, since it mutually benefits the artist and the listener", so if their archives are getting stuck behind a paywall, that's pretty much bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How did this get made was definitely affected.