Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

CarlCX posted:

I would agree that by the standards of MMA reffing the deduction was weird, but would also say the problem is deductions don't happen more often, rather than that deduction being bad.
I agree with this in principle, and am in favor of seeing eyepoke penalties be much more aggressively doled out. However when something like a "2 strikes non-malicious nut kicks" deduction happens suddenly on such a prominent stage without some kind of rules mandate update it's like going 0 to 60 without warning, even if it's a change for better safety. also it sucks if it's against a fighter with good kicks because then they'll become gunshy and their gameplan is forced to change lest their opponent try to game them. the first round was awesome and then cejudo was forced to step back the impressive pressure, making the fight suddenly less cool.

There's absolutely no way he didn't objectively win round 1 though. He also won round 2 but one can actually comprehend a bad judge or two completely blowing that call

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Memento posted:

Just got finished watching the fights from last night. Method Man and Meth Man were robbed of the FotN bonus, and what the gently caress was up with that fence stoppage? That's an NC every day of the week, right?

Good card with a few fucky decisions going on.

The fence stoppage was nuts. Marc Ratner saying there's nothing in the rules to allow any other result than a tko when not 2 days before I saw a UFC fight on YouTube where the guy got his leg stuck in the fence. The ref intervened and stood the fight up and it continued. Not 100% sure who it was but I think it might have been Julio Paulino? I can't find the clip and don't have fight pass to check.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Protect yourself at all times, obey my instructions at all times and for fucks sake dont put your toes in the fence. touch gloves lets do this

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I agree with this in principle, and am in favor of seeing eyepoke penalties be much more aggressively doled out. However when something like a "2 strikes non-malicious nut kicks" deduction happens suddenly on such a prominent stage without some kind of rules mandate update it's like going 0 to 60 without warning, even if it's a change for better safety. also it sucks if it's against a fighter with good kicks because then they'll become gunshy and their gameplan is forced to change lest their opponent try to game them. the first round was awesome and then cejudo was forced to step back the impressive pressure, making the fight suddenly less cool.

There's absolutely no way he didn't objectively win round 1 though. He also won round 2 but one can actually comprehend a bad judge or two completely blowing that call

The MMA ref has a problem similar to a baseball umpire when a player is being a jackass. They either run the player or they don't, there's not a lesser penalty an umpire can go to. Similarly, there's no in-between on a 2nd warning or taking the point, other than maybe acting angry and yelling at the fighter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I fully support taking a point on a second foul after a warning was given for the first.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Easiest solution for eyepokes and ball kicks, intentional or not would be a point deduction for every infraction. Might hamper those people who's entire game hinges on a load of inside leg kicks and/or gaguing distance with their outstretched palms but gently caress em. The rate of these things happening would instantly go down and we will discover the true root of the problem, lack of discipline or exploitation of poorly enforced rules.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Lately I've noticed more instances of fighters calling their own time-out for groin strikes and (especially) eye pokes, and the ref just going along with it. In a lot of cases the replay shows little or no contact, and no indication that the ref was going to call a time out before the fighter pressed the issue.

If there were a mandatory point deduction for every illegal strike, we'd see fighters go down grabbing their nutsacks after every inside leg kick.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

WhiteHowler posted:

Lately I've noticed more instances of fighters calling their own time-out for groin strikes and (especially) eye pokes, and the ref just going along with it. In a lot of cases the replay shows little or no contact, and no indication that the ref was going to call a time out before the fighter pressed the issue.

If there were a mandatory point deduction for every illegal strike, we'd see fighters go down grabbing their nutsacks after every inside leg kick.

Firstly, it is extremely rare that no 'significant' contact was made and secondly, in the event that the replay does show that the ref sees it instantly and restarts the fight. Then you probably have to explain to your boss, the 'be a loving fighter' guy, why you're a bitch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mistakinder posted:

Easiest solution for eyepokes, intentional or not would be a point deduction for every infraction

Jon Jones is never winning another fight

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Chris James 2 posted:

Jon Jones is never winning another fight

The way he is going lately, you could change that to every eyepoke you successfully land deducts a point from your opponent and this would still be true.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The way that the rules are changing in January, this should become the new norm for eye pokes. As it will then be a foul to extend the fingers towards the face - i.e. to threaten an eye poke - the ref can warn for that and will have more latitude to deduct the first time that a finger ends up in the eye.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
"So Daniel Cormier is saying before the fight that I'll end up poking him in the eyes at some point and the reason why he says that is because I do poke people in the eyes. It's very illegal but I do it."

https://streamable.com/zv6p

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Remember when that guy showed up in the fake neck brace and got severely fired

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think about Pedro Nobre all the time

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Wasn't his toe pretty well broken there? How well could he have continued anyway?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
DJ finally getting that cash. https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/805827871411302400

Here are all the disclosed payouts, nice to see Tim Elliott earned a 100k payday as well. http://mmajunkie.com/2016/12/tuf-24-finale-salaries-title-challenger-tim-elliott-gets-100000-disclosed-payout

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 5, 2016

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

WhiteHowler posted:

James Irvin went down holding his eye, and the ref stopped the fight.

Replay showed Alessio Sakara landing a perfectly legal punch that landed on Irvin's eye.

James Irvin lost the fight by TKO.

Any fighter that causes a stoppage due to a legal strike should also lose by TKO.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If you beg off and your opponent decides to respect it, that's fine to me. I mean except if you want Robbie lawler to retroactively get a tko loss for mid match posedowns & a bunch of TKO (adjusting sportsbra).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mmajunkie really needs to stop embedding videos on literally every article.

LobsterMobster posted:

James Irvin went down holding his eye, and the ref stopped the fight.

Replay showed Alessio Sakara landing a perfectly legal punch that landed on Irvin's eye.

James Irvin lost the fight by TKO.

Any fighter that causes a stoppage due to a legal strike should also lose by TKO.

This post made me check what James Irvin has been doing. It turns out that he's not dead!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Remember when Bisping was complaining to the ref about his mouthguard and Anderson knocked him out with a knee to the head? That was cool

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

mewse posted:

Remember when Bisping was complaining to the ref about his mouthguard and Anderson knocked him out with a knee to the head? That was cool

See this is why I'm fine with guys trying to call their own time outs, it's completely at your own risk.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mewse posted:

Bisping wasn't knocked out in any sense of the word or stretch of the imagination. Anderson doesn't get to call his own fights.

Like, if you're calling that a knock out, you'd be stopping Conor Alvarez on the first knockdown (which was a real nasty knockdown) and Woodley Wonderboy too yet no one complained about those fights carrying on, which was rightly so.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If he had knocked him out then he shouldn't have had any issue finishing him at the start of round four but chose to dance instead.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Gray Maynard flipped his poo poo on twitter about the Ryan Hall fight and it was pretty funny.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I also love every time mark hunt lands a good punch and pre-emptively starts his walk off while the guy immediantly stands back up.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

Gray Maynard flipped his poo poo on twitter about the Ryan Hall fight and it was pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/GrayMaynard/status/805603400029044738

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I thought that Ryan Hall was great. He really punked Gray Maynard.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

The Bully

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Im on maynards side

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I.N.R.I posted:

Im on maynards side

Is that the side of getting kicked in the head 27 times in 15 minutes and doing nothing about it?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
If Maynard wanted to win he should've not gotten kicked in the face so much.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
When Ryan Hall just dropped to the ground and sat there in response to Maynard getting close, he was avoiding the fight and "fleeing". When he dropped to the ground close enough to get a hold of Maynard's leg and spin into attempts at sweeps and leglocks, he wasn't.

When Hall got ahold of Maynard's leg and Maynard literally turned and ran away to get out, he was avoiding the fight and "fleeing". When Hall was sitting on the ground and Maynard backed up and motioned him up, he wasn't.

Both guys spent some time fleeing the other guy, and both guys spent some time trying to create offense. And during the times when both guys were being offensive, most of the fight was Gray Maynard getting kicked in the face - so the onus was on him to spend less time fleeing if he wanted to win the fight, imo

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

When Ryan Hall just dropped to the ground and sat there in response to Maynard getting close, he was avoiding the fight and "fleeing". When he dropped to the ground close enough to get a hold of Maynard's leg and spin into attempts at sweeps and leglocks, he wasn't.

When Hall got ahold of Maynard's leg and Maynard literally turned and ran away to get out, he was avoiding the fight and "fleeing". When Hall was sitting on the ground and Maynard backed up and motioned him up, he wasn't.

Both guys spent some time fleeing the other guy, and both guys spent some time trying to create offense. And during the times when both guys were being offensive, most of the fight was Gray Maynard getting kicked in the face - so the onus was on him to spend less time fleeing if he wanted to win the fight, imo

Do you think points should've been deducted for timidity at any point?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
UFC posted Matt Brown vs Erick Silva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72RS_aR4Lk

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

Do you think points should've been deducted for timidity at any point?

Not really, no. Neither of them were ever fleeing for more than a few seconds, or ever refused a referee command to engage, and neither of them "fled" multiple times in a row without engaging in attempts at offense in between them, to my recollection.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Hall won by simply having the cojones to go inverted several times

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fatherdog posted:

Maynard also pretty blatantly kicked Hall in the face while they were both on the ground and escaped when Hall complained to the ref. Had Hall not complained, Maynard might not have escaped, but the kick was pretty blatant.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Maynard also pretty blatantly kicked Hall in the face while they were both on the ground and escaped when Hall complained to the ref. Had Hall not complained, Maynard might not have escaped, but the kick was pretty blatant.

I think Hall got an illegal upkick or two in as well and the ref didn't call any of 'em, so eh. Turning to complain to the ref instead of continuing to fight when the action hasn't been called is a habit Hall's going to have to break, though.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I think Hall wins because being terrified of getting punched in the face is not nearly as funny as being terrified of a guy grabbing at your ankles from his butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also regarding that match -

fatherdog posted:

3:50 in the round - Anik tells us Hall's camp really thinks he's become a dangerous striker

• Locked thread