Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CarForumPoster posted:

you take it back

Relevant to thread question: Anyone think the military has learned their lesson about pushing the limits of technology for weapon systems AND subsystems AND structure on one program yet? Whats the over under on the B-21 having some hilarious requirements like the B2, F-22, F-35, that make it need a bunch of state of the art stuff that the contractor will have little idea how to test or make?

This is how roughly half of all aircraft programs have been, though. It's not like that's what makes the F-35 program unique. I think concurrent development is the big issue here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Only 21 B-2s were built. 1 crashed, so there are 20 in service. Across those 20 aircraft there are five different block numbers.

quote:

AV-22 through AV-165 Cancelled

They had way way more planned to be built than I thought :stare:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I really want to see what the soviet counterpart would have looked like. Did they even have a stealth program in the 70-80s?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Party Plane Jones posted:

They had way way more planned to be built than I thought :stare:

They should have built them out and at least replaced the last of the B-52s.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Suicide Watch posted:

I really want to see what the soviet counterpart would have looked like. Did they even have a stealth program in the 70-80s?

Yeah, it was called "try to steal our secrets."

Their lack of computer modeling ability really hurt them, and even the PAK-FA, their first true "stealthy" fighter evidently is about as stealthy as a Flanker with RCS reduction. That's why they've spent most of their time and effort into refining their missiles and radar and way less on planes.

Hell, at one point I remember hearing/reading they were trying to pioneer "plasma bubble" stealth so they could skip the whole damned process altogether.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mazz posted:

I think one element that might be possible is that the AF is acutely aware of how hosed the F-35/KC-46A have put them budget-wise, so it seems like the B-21 was pushed forward to be as evolutionary (instead of revolutionary) as possible.

I mean time will tell, but there really isn't a ton of indication this thing is completely hosed up quite yet. I mean we can all assume it will because come on, but it's certainly capable of being more like the Virginia than the A-12 if they just keep poo poo under control and away from congressional meddling/the marines.

Godholio posted:

This is how roughly half of all aircraft programs have been, though. It's not like that's what makes the F-35 program unique. I think concurrent development is the big issue here.

True. Maybe they'll do like the programs of recent that actually worked, build a flying test bed, then build 1-2 SDD aircrafts...it's a slow development process but you don't end up with 40 planes of varying configuration all of which mostly don't work

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hell, at one point I remember hearing/reading they were trying to pioneer "plasma bubble" stealth so they could skip the whole damned process altogether.

Yeah, plasma stealth and photonic radars are the Russian wonderweapons that Indian fanboys fantasize the PAKFA/FGFA collaboration will bring them.

There was also something about a magical ultra-absorbing paint that could turn any existing plane into a stealth plane for much cheaper than "traditional" RAMs...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

True. Maybe they'll do like the programs of recent that actually worked, build a flying test bed, then build 1-2 SDD aircrafts...it's a slow development process but you don't end up with 40 planes of varying configuration all of which mostly don't work

Honestly they should've learned from the F-22. There was a little of the same issue there, where the first few aircraft were physically incapable of being upgraded to combat standard. They were sent to the 43 FS at Tyndall as trainers. That should've been the warning sign that you can't manufacture aircraft this advanced WHILE figuring out if the loving design works.

But of course the fighter fleet is in such dire straits that we'll probably end up accepting Lockheed's plan to upgrade those Block 20s despite the cost. GG Gates.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ironically the research paper at the heart of early stealth technology/work was written by a Soviet scientist. It just took 2 decades for the US to have the computing power capable of modelling it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

My favorite was when they would paint funky airplane "shadows" on the tarmac for soviet spy satellites to take pictures of, just to mess with them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Their lack of computer modeling ability really hurt them, and even the PAK-FA, their first true "stealthy" fighter evidently is about as stealthy as a Flanker with RCS reduction. That's why they've spent most of their time and effort into refining their missiles and radar and way less on planes.

My take away is that the whole "learning how to do stealth properly for about 40 years" is one of those cultural skill things that you really can't just "catch up" on in a few years. If the Russians were really interested in working on their stealth skills, starting where the Americans started (IE a purpose-built invisible recon/strike aircraft) would be a good place to start.

Now I'm not suprised that when it came to 1980s electronics, the Soviets were at a severe disadvantage. (One thing I've noticed about the cold war science competition is that both the USA and USSR start in the same place, but slowly the Soviets get left behind technologically because they didn't have access to new industries like semicondoctor manufacture.) But it still surprise me a bit that the Soviets had problems with computer modelling. When it came to defense, I assumed they would just buy western chips/computers and use those. Y'know, like Iraq buying a shipping container of PS2s to make a supercomputer out of?

Also I've never heard of "plasma bubble" stealth. Let me guess: the airplane creates some sort of plasma bubble which absorbs all radar emissions?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also I've never heard of "plasma bubble" stealth. Let me guess: the airplane creates some sort of plasma bubble which absorbs all radar emissions?

That's the idea. Last I heard it strained physical plausibility because the energy needed to generate it far exceeds what engines can generate; but there have been research on the subject, including in the US and in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_stealth

Some random vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I11ClvQ6Fpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvBalLsuYGA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Ironically the research paper at the heart of early stealth technology/work was written by a Soviet scientist. It just took 2 decades for the US to have the computing power capable of modelling it.

Well...there was the Model 853 which may look a bit familiar...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

But it still surprise me a bit that the Soviets had problems with computer modelling. When it came to defense, I assumed they would just buy western chips/computers and use those. Y'know, like Iraq buying a shipping container of PS2s to make a supercomputer out of?

We went to extraordinary efforts to prevent Western computers from getting to the Soviets.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Midjack posted:

We went to extraordinary efforts to prevent Western computers from getting to the Soviets.

All the while, buying up titanium from them through dummy corps.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

All's fair in cold love and war.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nebakenezzer posted:

My take away is that the whole "learning how to do stealth properly for about 40 years" is one of those cultural skill things that you really can't just "catch up" on in a few years. If the Russians were really interested in working on their stealth skills, starting where the Americans started (IE a purpose-built invisible recon/strike aircraft) would be a good place to start.

Now I'm not suprised that when it came to 1980s electronics, the Soviets were at a severe disadvantage. (One thing I've noticed about the cold war science competition is that both the USA and USSR start in the same place, but slowly the Soviets get left behind technologically because they didn't have access to new industries like semicondoctor manufacture.) But it still surprise me a bit that the Soviets had problems with computer modelling. When it came to defense, I assumed they would just buy western chips/computers and use those. Y'know, like Iraq buying a shipping container of PS2s to make a supercomputer out of?

Its not just processing power like number of CPUS, afaik HFSS was the only commercial software FEM game in town for this sort of thing in the early 90s and that was an American product in English and not easy to use without any training or support from the vendor. The soviets also dont have some of the quality control and manufacturing secrets that F-117, B-2, etc. employed that made good design actually work. America also has the ability to have low probability of detection comms and a satellite network for navigation.

If they shape it they might not be able to build it and if they build it, it might not know where it is and even if it did the beyond engagement range AEW assets probably can't talk to it to say "hey theres a missile flying at you". All of those things are necessary to make stealth work and all of them are very difficult.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hilarious Dreamliner bug, you might lose all three flight control computers if they've been powered on for 22 days.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/faa-orders-787-safety-fix-reboot-power-once-in-a-while/

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I'm amazed they had a plane up for that amount of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APX_uXXQvCc

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Hilarious Dreamliner bug, you might lose all three flight control computers if they've been powered on for 22 days.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/faa-orders-787-safety-fix-reboot-power-once-in-a-while/

Yeah they've always been like that, and it's never really been a problem, but someone leaked it to the media and now they need to be seen to be doing something so an AD has come out. The Embraer has a similar thing with the flight control pbit (power on bit (built in test) expiring if the computers have been powered for more than something like 50 hours. It's a complete non-issue and it will just be just rolled into the routine checks to reset the FCMs and run the bit.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 4, 2016

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah they've always been like that, and it's never really been a problem, but someone leaked it to the media and now they need to be seen to be doing something so an AD has come out. The Embraer has a similar thing with the flight control pbit (power on bit (built in test) expiring if the computers have been powered for more than something like 50 hours. It's a complete non-issue and it will just be just rolled into the routine checks to reset the FCMs and run the bit.

I even remember seeing reporting about this a year or so ago. poo poo, it might even still be in this thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The workaround isn’t that bad but why are they unable to design a system that Just Works?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The workaround isn’t that bad but why are they unable to design a system that Just Works?

When you're given standards and specifications to develop against it turns out you never bother to see what happens if they are exceeded. This attitude is one of the biggest contributors to information security problems and other dumb things that happen in technology.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Midjack posted:

When you're given standards and specifications to develop against it turns out you never bother to see what happens if they are exceeded. This attitude is one of the biggest contributors to information security problems and other dumb things that happen in technology.

This is not true. Domain testing (what happens if the values are outside norms, what happens if theyre right at the boundaries) is systems engineering/V&V 101. Whether they hosed it up or not I can't say as I don't know what those specs and requirements were. If the users said "Yea planes are always turned off after a week" and you tested leaving it on for 3x that, can you be blamed for this emergent behavior? (Yes is the answer but its still an understandable mistake)

EDIT: I didn't look up the AD but since we haven't heard anything about safety events, it was probably found on the Boeing/subcontractors test bench.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 5, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

This is not true. Domain testing (what happens if the values are outside norms, what happens if theyre right at the boundaries) is systems engineering/V&V 101. Whether they hosed it up or not I can't say as I don't know what those specs and requirements were. If the users said "Yea planes are always turned off after a week" and you tested leaving it on for 3x that, can you be blamed for this emergent behavior? (Yes is the answer but its still an understandable mistake)

The question is whether it's "the planes are always turned off after a week" or if there is an absolute maximum electronics on time rating. If the latter, this is the same as finding out the wing breaks under 250% rated load. No poo poo?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

The question is whether it's "the planes are always turned off after a week" or if there is an absolute maximum electronics on time rating. If the latter, this is the same as finding out the wing breaks under 250% rated load. No poo poo?

Yea this is a good point, there are probably relevant system level requirements too "turn the plane off every XXXX days" aka the Patriot Missile Lesson

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah they've always been like that, and it's never really been a problem, but

Same with shuttle SRB O-ring blowby and debris strikes on the TPS.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I even remember seeing reporting about this a year or so ago. poo poo, it might even still be in this thread.

Turns out I was thinking of a different computer issue that required periodic reboots of your 787.

bull3964 posted:

Remember to reboot your 787 daily!

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/01/boeing-787-dreamliners-contain-a-potentially-catastrophic-software-bug/

quote:

This AD was prompted by the determination that a Model 787 airplane that has been powered continuously for 248 days can lose all alternating current (AC) electrical power due to the generator control units (GCUs) simultaneously going into failsafe mode," the memo stated. "This condition is caused by a software counter internal to the GCUs that will overflow after 248 days of continuous power. We are issuing this AD to prevent loss of all AC electrical power, which could result in loss of control of the airplane.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

Same with shuttle SRB O-ring blowby and debris strikes on the TPS.

It's more like everyone who operates the plane knows about it, because Boeing tells you about it, and nobody operates in a way that would exceed that limit, and if they did they'd get fair warning about it. And then someone independent of the whole thing said "yeah but what if..."
The incorrect response to it is "there is no what if". The correct response is "... Ahh, well, everyone, make sure to reboot your computers by this date please thanks" which is what Boeing did. And all the operators go "seriously?... Fine."
Like it's honestly No Big Deal. It's like if Tesla said your car wouldn't start if you didn't plug it in at least once a month, even if the battery wasn't flat. When would this ever happen in practice? Never. But someone said, well, what if you hypothetically started driving on day 29 and 23:50, and 10 minutes later, would the car turn off?
Except it's aviation. There's no room for "well, technically" or "we've never actually even tried it". Just make sure you plug it in once a month. By federal mandate. You will be fined or worse if you don't comply.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Turns out I was thinking of a different computer issue that required periodic reboots of your 787.

Haha, 248 * 24 * 3600 = 21427200, so if it's counting something 100 times a second it overflows a 32-bit integer. Sure you can just reboot it once in a while, but I don't think there's any aeronautic engineering reason for not writing that bit of code better. It makes it look like a stupid airplane and you wonder what other else is lurking in there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Haha, 248 * 24 * 3600 = 21427200, so if it's counting something 100 times a second it overflows a 32-bit integer. Sure you can just reboot it once in a while, but I don't think there's any aeronautic engineering reason for not writing that bit of code better. It makes it look like a stupid airplane and you wonder what other else is lurking in there.

All the good coders are too busy making sure Candy Crush Star Wars thoroughly and effectively data mines your iPhone.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

What else is lurking in there is an INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE certification process to fix what should be a simple code change. If it had been caught earlier in the process, it doubtless would have been fixed, but changing flight-critical software after certification freeze can cost millions of dollars, and you don't do it if there is literally any other way to fix the issue.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Additionally, there may well be a fix in a block software upgrade down the road (which will do doubt introduce all sorts of new issues in the process of fixing all the existing ones). But you don't get little micro-patches and bug fixes rolled out like you do with commercial software when it comes to airplanes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

Welcome to embedded software?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ola posted:

No. There is almost certainly a requirement that the GCU be able to operate nominally while powered on for X days. The coder met the requirement and probably exceeded it by two orders of magnitude( at a guess).

If you want to levy the requirement on the system that it shall be able to operate nominally when powered on indefinitely you can probably ad a bunch of zeros to the cost. This is almost certainly a case of where a counter roll over is being read by lots of other systems that are built concurrently by other parties and you have to draw the line somewhere.

e: The 'shall operate for X days while powered on' is a common requirement and is almost always specifically used to make sure counters don't roll over during the expected period of operation which is generally much larger than the actual use case being considered. I've seen it in at least half a dozen different systems.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 5, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How likely is it that a plane wouldn't be shut down once for over 248 days? It seems like a lot of time. I don't think aircraft have a requirement for contiguous uptime measured in years. I'm not sure even boats have.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
A simple restart which takes between 1-10 mins also solves all your problems. And most airplanes are doing restarts to clear error messages thru the day.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

How likely is it that a plane wouldn't be shut down once for over 248 days? It seems like a lot of time. I don't think aircraft have a requirement for contiguous uptime measured in years. I'm not sure even boats have.

It would have to be deliberate, and you probably wouldn't be flying it anywhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Greataval posted:

A simple restart which takes between 1-10 mins also solves all your problems.

So does carrying enough fuel to actually get to your destination, but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Godholio posted:

So does carrying enough fuel to actually get to your destination, but :shrug:

Brutal