Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What's the proper course of action if one of your legacy services broke, you're tasked with fixing it, and find out that it's been violating the GPL all along, and fixing it will involve submitting a pull request with more GPL code and your name on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

xtal posted:

What's the proper course of action if one of your legacy services broke, you're tasked with fixing it, and find out that it's been violating the GPL all along, and fixing it will involve submitting a pull request with more GPL code and your name on it?

email your manager, cc their manager, ask for legal review

if there aren't two levels above you to escalate garbage like that, explain to your boss why GPL violations are bad. tell them to get legal review.

enjoy the extra weeks/months of headaches. buy some nice scotch maybe.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

xtal posted:

Rewrite it from scratch !

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

AskYourself posted:

And add a bunch of new features to future proof it!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Definitely write it in an obscure brand new language to show off your versatility and how up to date you are. And whatever it is needs to get compiled into javascript.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I bent the truth in my post so as not to talk about stuff that's identifying. But replacing or rebuilding it isn't an option by its nature. My choices are to leave it and not mention anything, or create a lot of work for all of us and make everyone hate me. Or I should say my choices were because I already made the clear choice there. Sorry RMS!

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
If you just fix it and send a notice to your superiors would that make you feel good enough about it ? that would cover your rear end for however long the retention policy is for the email where you work, might want to cc your personal mailbox if you think they could throw you under the bus.

If not then you might find yourself in a battle you don't have much control over and that you most likely cannot win, unless you have a lot of influence over some key players.

If you really really really hate it with all your heart and can't live with yourself by violating a GPL license, send an anonymous tip to an open source lawyer or the Copyrighter I guess.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

xtal posted:

I bent the truth in my post so as not to talk about stuff that's identifying. But replacing or rebuilding it isn't an option by its nature. My choices are to leave it and not mention anything, or create a lot of work for all of us and make everyone hate me. Or I should say my choices were because I already made the clear choice there. Sorry RMS!

you didn't need to give up just because you couldn't decide between the macallen and glenmorangie.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

AskYourself posted:

In node.js with the latest ECMAScript, then publish it, and create drama for the rest of the project's lifetime so it can get posted to HN and eventually rewritten by someone else, only better, but also worse.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Had a screen this morning. Did well! Next steps:

- 5-8 hour take home that has to be done in 24 hours
- Company reviews it and offers feedback
- You make changes based on their review
- They bring you in for 5 45-minute technical interviews

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Jesus. I wonder how many of these companies actually examine whether all this extra time they spend on vetting candidates actually gets them better results.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus. I wonder how many of these companies actually examine whether all this extra time they spend on vetting candidates actually gets them better results.

why wonder? :rolleyes:

zero

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I think a take-home is an okay idea but like, maybe a service with one endpoint or something? You can easily demonstrate a bit about what you know regarding abstraction, dependency injection, writing an efficient query against a data store, iterating through results with streams, and could do it in about 2 hours. Something along those lines seems fair to me for the positions I've applied to.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Awful.

"Well, good luck with that :byewhore:" is the only rational response.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

For my last interview, I spent 8 hours on a takehome (which had me pick 5 problems from a set of 10), and then did six hours of interviews with 7 people. One person said 'I was glad to see you put [thing] in a separate module' and that's all I heard about what I gave them. I feel like I wasted a lot of time and effort. The company also took 1 month between phone screen and skype interview, almost 2 months between skype and in person interview, and 1-day short of 3 weeks for the final decision, so it doesn't really appear that they respect the applicants' time very much.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
A friend of mine sent me a website called DevPost which touts a "transparent look into the interview process for every company on the platform". Looking at back-end work, literally every company on here says a take-home is part of the process. I guess this is the new norm.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

It sounds to me like you're being pretty picky and reading too much into weak signals. But ultimately only you can decide what's right for you.

Along this line, the interviewer for my current job who raked me over the coals is probably my closest colleague now. It genuinely stung in the interview but as a coworker he's really helpful. You absolutely can detect toxic folks you wouldn't want to work with in an interview, but the antagonism built into the process might color things.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Last time I did a take-home assignment the company decided it's not actually a good time for them to hire anyone. Never again.

quote:

I think a take-home is an okay idea but like, maybe a service with one endpoint or something?
"One endpont" meaning a single API method? I wouldn't want to submit something without setting up integration tests too. Setting up a new project isn't something I do often; last time I set all this up in ASP.NET (including database configuration etc.) it was 2 or 3 hours before I was ready to work on the assignment's requirements. My fault or is this common?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

dividertabs posted:

"One endpont" meaning a single API method? I wouldn't want to submit something without setting up integration tests too. Setting up a new project isn't something I do often; last time I set all this up in ASP.NET (including database configuration etc.) it was 2 or 3 hours before I was ready to work on the assignment's requirements. My fault or is this common?

It shouldn't take that long, especially using ASP.NET (and VS.) Just use one of the templates that will generate boilerplate code for the WebAPI and Entity Framework. That should give you a "hello world" API in about 10 minutes or less including grabbing some key Nuget packages.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Whiteboard questions: not a realistic working environment
Take home assignments and trial periods: nobody has got time for them
Open source project review: not everyone works on open source

Are there any interview processes that people don't bitch about?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Steve French posted:

Probably not! People bitch about processes mostly when they're used poorly. Whiteboard problems should be used to get a feel for how the candidate thinks, not for whether they're able to suss out the One Weird Trick that's needed to solve the riddle the interviewer has posed to them. Take home assignments should be respectful of the candidate's time -- the complaints here have largely been about when they take a day or more to implement. I haven't seen much conversation about trial periods here though.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Steve French posted:

How about it being treated like many other (non-tech) positions where you have a few interview sessions with key members of the company where they ask about past projects, your strengths/weaknesses, and a short, simple coding challenge (~1hr) to prove you actually know how to put fingers to a keyboard. Also, they can place some emphasis on references to try to get an outside opinion about the candidate.

As a developer with 15+ years of experience and many successful (read: make millions of dollars in revenue) projects under my belt, I want to be treated with a certain level of respect by the interviewers. Maybe I'm not a good fit for your organization, but you should be able to suss that out without wasting my time on take-home projects or forcing me recall nuanced trivia about red-black trees in a high-pressure interview setting.

*Granted, I'm talking more about hiring mid-senior level devs that have experience and references to point to.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I have no problem with a take-home that's 3-4 hours of work if it's in lieu of multiple technicals on sight. My ideal process would be a phone screen with high-level talk of the role and my experience plus 1 problem, take home of 3-4 hours, on-sight with my future manager, a peer, a product person, and one other team.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Steve French posted:

Are there any interview processes parts of the human condition that people don't bitch about?

Fixed that for you...

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Steve French posted:

Whiteboard questions: not a realistic working environment
Take home assignments and trial periods: nobody has got time for them
Open source project review: not everyone works on open source

Ask questions about the software development process and also fizzbuzz and that'll be the perfect interview.

Come to think of it, I haven't written any code for an interview in about 8 years so whatev

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to stay sane in this line of work without hobby projects? I think my skills would've reached full stagnation after about 2 years of professional experience if I didn't always have some weird thing on the side to make things interesting. Spending every day waist-deep in somebody else's bad design decisions just doesn't leave any room for learning or ambition.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

rt4 posted:

Is it possible to stay sane in this line of work without hobby projects? I think my skills would've reached full stagnation after about 2 years of professional experience if I didn't always have some weird thing on the side to make things interesting. Spending every day waist-deep in somebody else's bad design decisions just doesn't leave any room for learning or ambition.

no

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

rt4 posted:

It IS possible to have a job where you are doing enough interesting work to not require this. Not likely, but possible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

The secret to staying sane is to be the person making the bad design decisions, so when you're waist-deep in poo poo you at least know it's your own.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

rt4 posted:

Yes it certainly has been possible for me. But you do have to take chances and walk off the beaten path a little.

Regarding interview, I find teaching someone the know-how (coding) is way easier than teaching them how to be a good person (a good programmer), so we emphasize on that in our hiring process.

Way too much companies overestimate the technical skill required to pull data off a db and put it in a gui.

Fizzbuzz and data structure is enough (List vs Dictionary for example) to detect the screw ups.

Unless you do very specific and very hard problem, which very few companies actually do...

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 8, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My company is planning a 2-day long hackathon happening at the main corporate office, in a city 2-3 hrs away by car. I was under the impression that it was an optional side-project sort of thing, but it's apparently being billed as part of the main site redesign project and everyone's expected to be there. "Our goal is to share knowledge with the team so there are no blockers during the holiday schedules." :pwn: They're asking us to book through local hotels and stuff too since they're not providing rooms for us.

Is this, like, a thing? Hackathon aren't really my thing and I wasn't thinking if going, but I didn't think it'd be mandatory either.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

My company is planning a 2-day long hackathon happening at the main corporate office, in a city 2-3 hrs away by car. I was under the impression that it was an optional side-project sort of thing, but it's apparently being billed as part of the main site redesign project and everyone's expected to be there. "Our goal is to share knowledge with the team so there are no blockers during the holiday schedules." :pwn: They're asking us to book through local hotels and stuff too since they're not providing rooms for us.

Is this, like, a thing? Hackathon aren't really my thing and I wasn't thinking if going, but I didn't think it'd be mandatory either.

Are they at least reimbursing you for the hotels/travel? If not, that is kinda bullshit, especially around Christmas.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skandranon posted:

Are they at least reimbursing you for the hotels/travel? If not, that is kinda bullshit, especially around Christmas.

They are, thankfully. From what I've heard from another member of the project umbrella, work on the project has been proceeding at a very slow pace and they basically want people to get together before the holidays, do a couple days of heads-down coding and design, and come up with things by the end of it. It's basically crunch time :shepface: I might just go out of morbid curiosity, but I'm hesitant to say whether this is a red flag or not.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Sounds like a misnamed lockdown to me. Maybe a yellow flag, but not sure about red flag.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I have an ex-boss turned friend who went on to bigger and better things a few years ago. He wants to bring me in at his new organization as a "principle" developer / "junior architect" role (the exact title isn't set in stone, but the idea is that I'd be in a position of technical authority and leadership over a team of developers). We've discussed salary already, he can give me something that would make me happy, and the gig is 35 hours a week (strictly enforced) with mandatory WFH at least 1 day a week. No interview necessary, I just sign the paperwork and I'm in.

Here's the problem:
I'm currently going through some personal stuff (terminally ill family member) that has necessitated taking a leave of absence from work for the next few months -- but my employer is backing me 100% and has told me I can work as much or as little as I want for the duration, with full pay, with no expectations as to when I resume working.

I'm expecting my personal stuff to stabilize in the next month or two (hopefully), and this other job will materialize sometime in the late winter. I feel like it would be incredibly lovely of me to come back to work after this, work for a month or two, then say "Okay, thanks for being compassionate and generous during the worst few months of my life, I quit!"

I feel like my current employer has earned some loyalty from this. They've always been very good to me, and they're really going above and beyond right now.

Some people have said I'm a sucker for wanting to pay that generosity back by sticking around through 2017, but I feel like it would be a decent thing of me to do. I know that I don't "owe" them anything, and they're being so generous precisely because they value me as an employee and don't want me to quit.

It's worth noting that I enjoy my job and have no strong desire to quit, and my friend understands the scenario and is no hurry to fill the role (and he really wants me, specifically, for the job), so it's not like this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will disappear if I don't jump on it.

Basically, I'm soliciting unbiased opinions as to whether I'm being a sucker or not.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I have an ex-boss turned friend who went on to bigger and better things a few years ago. He wants to bring me in at his new organization as a "principle" developer / "junior architect" role (the exact title isn't set in stone, but the idea is that I'd be in a position of technical authority and leadership over a team of developers). We've discussed salary already, he can give me something that would make me happy, and the gig is 35 hours a week (strictly enforced) with mandatory WFH at least 1 day a week. No interview necessary, I just sign the paperwork and I'm in.

Here's the problem:
I'm currently going through some personal stuff (terminally ill family member) that has necessitated taking a leave of absence from work for the next few months -- but my employer is backing me 100% and has told me I can work as much or as little as I want for the duration, with full pay, with no expectations as to when I resume working.

I'm expecting my personal stuff to stabilize in the next month or two (hopefully), and this other job will materialize sometime in the late winter. I feel like it would be incredibly lovely of me to come back to work after this, work for a month or two, then say "Okay, thanks for being compassionate and generous during the worst few months of my life, I quit!"

I feel like my current employer has earned some loyalty from this. They've always been very good to me, and they're really going above and beyond right now.

Some people have said I'm a sucker for wanting to pay that generosity back by sticking around through 2017, but I feel like it would be a decent thing of me to do. I know that I don't "owe" them anything, and they're being so generous precisely because they value me as an employee and don't want me to quit.

It's worth noting that I enjoy my job and have no strong desire to quit, and my friend understands the scenario and is no hurry to fill the role (and he really wants me, specifically, for the job), so it's not like this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will disappear if I don't jump on it.

Basically, I'm soliciting unbiased opinions as to whether I'm being a sucker or not.

the loyalty you think your current employer has for you does not exist. if you're thinking about exiting, you'll continue thinking about exiting until you exit. that also sounds like it could be a significant pay/responsibility jump.
:sever:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Agreed, but in what I think are nicer terms: they're being so considerate to you because they think it's worth their investment to cater to you in the hopes that you give them the exact consideration you're doing. Like all investments, they know there's a risk involved and that even this may not convince you to stay. You have no obligation to stay, and nobody should begrudge you for doing what's best for you.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

leper khan posted:

the loyalty you think your current employer has for you does not exist. if you're thinking about exiting, you'll continue thinking about exiting until you exit. that also sounds like it could be a significant pay/responsibility jump.
:sever:

I agree. Even if you are not miserable where you are, would you be happier at new job? You can repay your current gig by giving them 3-4 weeks notice instead of 2, but you do not need to sacrifice your potential future happiness and $$$ for a whole year just because they weren't assholes during a crisis.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Since the next place isn't rushing you, there's always the option of giving more than 2 weeks notice to help the company's transition plan and assuage the survivor guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Had a screen this morning. Did well! Next steps:

- Company reviews it and offers feedback
- You make changes based on their review
- They bring you in for 5 45-minute technical interviews

Recruiter: "What is your availability like to come meet with the team?"
Me: "The engineering director mentioned a take-home"
Recruiter: "The team wants to get you into the office to meet us ASAP"

:staredog: Cool, but what? Excited for the position but cautiously optimistic.