Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm just relieved that we won't have to face Scherzer/Sale in a potential playoff series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm pretty much done with the White Sox.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So I guess the red sox are counting on Pablo next season. That or Brock Holt: starting 3b.

Reminder: Brock Holt was an all-star

hahahahahaha

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Harlock posted:

Looking forward to more White Sox fans ripping on the Cubs this year seeing as they won't have anything really going on for themselves.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Your Taint posted:

Looking forward to more White Sox fans ripping on the Cubs this year seeing as they won't have anything really going on for themselves.

Oh boo hoo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

I'm not complaining. I find it amusing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Why are people down on the Sale deal again?

It's not like they are some team that was close to the promise land and then took a huge step back like the Pirates or something.

The Sox need prospects and need every day players. Chris Sale was being completely wasted on that team. They needed every day players and as many prospects for the future as possible.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Because Sale is/was really really good, and they theoretically could have gotten a better deal.

I don't really see how they do, but that's pretty much the argument.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Paul Zuvella posted:

Because Sale is/was really really good, and they theoretically could have gotten a better deal.

I don't really see how they do, but that's pretty much the argument.

Will they hang on to Quintana or is he gone, too?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
As with any trade that centers around prospects it's almost impossible to say who "won", you can say stuff like "hmmm, seems kinda light on the return" but we won't know how this pans out for a few years at least and it could still really work in the White Sox favour. But in the mean time they weren't doing anything with Sale anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Harlock posted:

Did the White Sox really have enough in their farm system to turn the team around for 2017 or 2018? They've been in that mediocre range for a while now. Might as well start rebuilding and plan for 2019 or 2020 with an actual competitive team than tread water at just below a playoff spot forever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Your Taint posted:

They probably hang on for another year or two, I'd assume. He has 4 years of control Vs. 3 for Sale. I'd let him develop a bit more, see if he gets even better to sweeten any deal you could get for him.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

MinibarMatchman posted:

white sox get like 3 really good prospects and are finally free of chris sale, a man who idolized a child they kicked out of their clubhouse and inspired him to destroy their throwback jersey day with a psychotic scissor attack.

All my White Sox fan friends keep insisting it was in fact a large knife, which honestly is worse I think. A, he had a large knife just hanging around. B, logistically it seems like using a knife would be more difficult. C, he's hacking away at human-shaped things with a loving knife.

On the other hand, if he sang Space Ghost's "I'm a Knife" song while doing it I will love him forever.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm still not sure what I think about the ChiSox blowing it up and starting over. They probably weren't competing in 2017 without adding several free agents, in a terrible market for FAs. But you could make the case that Sale/Quintana/Rodon/Abreu/Eaton/Frazier/Melky/Tim Anderson is a decent core to build around. Like we rag on teams for waiting to long to rebuild but this feels they're giving up too soon?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I said earlier that Sale is kind of like Mike Trout, where there wouldn't be a package good enough to make it worth trading him. So far I stand by that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Your Taint posted:

I personally would trade him, Eaton, Fraizer. Maybe Abreu.

Just load up on a ton of young players. Dear god trade Eaton though. His value will never be higher.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Did the White Sox really have enough in their farm system to turn the team around for 2017 or 2018? They've been in that mediocre range for a while now. Might as well start rebuilding and plan for 2019 or 2020 with an actual competitive team than tread water at just below a playoff spot forever.

They probably also realize their division is going to be extremely difficult to win for the next 2-3 years and are planning to compete when the Indians/Tigers windows close.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

What the gently caress this is like the 1970s and 1980s clashed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Trading Sale is just the encapsulation of the failure of White Sox management for not being able to put together a winning team in one of the weakest divisions in Baseball.

Yet somehow rebuilding is the right move to trust a front office that has consistently struggled to do it. I don't love the return either.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The deal is really contingent on who the other players are. Moncada is a good player but I'd feel pretty miffed if he ended up being the only MLB caliber player in the deal.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Why are people down on the Sale deal again?

To me at least they didn't get enough for him...you look at what teams were giving up for rental closers last deadline and compare Sale's value to those guys, they came up short. It isn't like the Red Sox are short prospects either...how do you not get at least one of Benintendi or Devers?

If they didn't get fair value now CWS shoulda waited until the deadline and some playoff team who just lost a rotation guy to injury or slump would have given quite a bit more I think.

edit - feel free to quote this in 2019 when Sale goes down with his second straight TJS and Moncada is wrapping up his second straight MVP season though.....

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 6, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm still not sure what I think about the ChiSox blowing it up and starting over. They probably weren't competing in 2017 without adding several free agents, in a terrible market for FAs. But you could make the case that Sale/Quintana/Rodon/Abreu/Eaton/Frazier/Melky/Tim Anderson is a decent core to build around. Like we rag on teams for waiting to long to rebuild but this feels they're giving up too soon?

You would think so but they have been trying to patchwerk a team through free agency for years now and it hasn't been working.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Trades are cool and that's a cool trade. Give me more trades.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

bewbies posted:

To me at least they didn't get enough for him...you look at what teams were giving up for rental closers last deadline and compare Sale's value to those guys, they came up short. It isn't like the Red Sox are short prospects either...how do you not get at least one of Benintendi or Devers?

If they didn't get fair value now CWS shoulda waited until the deadline and some playoff team who just lost a rotation guy to injury or slump would have given quite a bit more I think.

Kopech seems like he will be a major league pitcher.

Also with how badly things went with Sale over the last year you probably can't bring him back even for a couple of months.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Red Sox come to the South Side in May.

Sale should post video of himself hacking up a White Sox jersey again right before the series, because if he's healthy you know he's starting one of those games.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I retract my previous statement. If the deal is as listed, it's real good for the Red Sox. Losing moncada may wind up stinging pretty badly but... it also might not. No JBJ or benintendi is pretty huge, as well.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Wonder if we could get in on Quintana or if the Cubs embargo extends to ALL players.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dexo posted:

Plus his attitude issues are already known!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

I retract my previous statement. If the deal is as previously stated, it's real good for the Red Sox. Losing moncada may wind up stinging pretty badly but... it also might not. No JBJ or benintendi is pretty huge, as well.

Considering it sounded like the White Sox would only consider a Braves' offer that included Dansby Swanson, who hit .302/.361/.442 during his end of season call-up, I'd say the Red Sox did well to send a player who wasn't ready for the majors as the centerpiece of their offer.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Harlock posted:

Yet somehow rebuilding is the right move to trust a front office that has consistently struggled to do it.

JR would rather trade the best pitcher to ever play for his team than fire the idiots who couldn't build around a core of cheap Sale, cheap Quintana, Abreu, and Eaton. It is an embarrassing failure.

tadashi posted:

Considering it sounded like the White Sox would only consider a Braves' offer that included Dansby Swanson, who hit .302/.361/.442 during his end of season call-up, I'd say the Red Sox did well to send a player who wasn't ready for the majors as the centerpiece of their offer.

For a rebuilding team why would the White Sox want major league ready talent? They aren't competing anytime soon.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 6, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Also with how badly things went with Sale over the last year you probably can't bring him back even for a couple of months.

I agree, they kind of backed themselves into a corner with that. I certainly don't think the trade was a bad idea, just that they didn't get nearly enough for their most valuable asset.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Pancakes posted:

All my White Sox fan friends keep insisting it was in fact a large knife, which honestly is worse I think. A, he had a large knife just hanging around. B, logistically it seems like using a knife would be more difficult. C, he's hacking away at human-shaped things with a loving knife.

On the other hand, if he sang Space Ghost's "I'm a Knife" song while doing it I will love him forever.

You seem to have some weird ideas about knives

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tadashi posted:

This, AFAIK the White Sox had been pretty adamant that they wanted a good MLB ready guy in addition to top prospects. That the Red Sox picked up Sale without weakening their current starting MLB team is a huge win that cannot be understated.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm just glad Sale stayed in the AL :toot:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/806223520543965185

Oh Reinsdorf.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

angrygodofjebus posted:

JR would rather trade the best pitcher to ever play for his team than fire the idiots who couldn't build around a core of cheap Sale, cheap Quintana, Abreu, and Eaton. It is an embarrassing failure.

For a rebuilding team why would the White Sox want major league ready talent? They aren't competing anytime soon.

I seem to recall a team in Chicago that built itself around near MLB ready college players and some out-of-options dudes they got from Baltimore.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I wonder what else they could have gotten had they eaten even half of that money.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense financially but I am now daydreaming about the Melkman coming back to San Fran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Money rules everything.

• Locked thread