Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

Not seen in 50 years?

Then what did I just see in the theater?

If you wanted to be pedantic then you'd say that the last episode aired on the 10th December, which is less than 50 years ago. That aside, the DVD box isn't claiming that nobody has seen it before the owner of this specific DVD because that's clearly silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you wanted to be pedantic then you'd say that the last episode aired on the 10th December, which is less than 50 years ago. That aside, the DVD box isn't claiming that nobody has seen it before the owner of this specific DVD because that's clearly silly.

Good. Because if I went to the theater and hallucinated seeing The Power of the Daleks with my wife's ex-husband, I'm going to seek mental health treatment.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For Secret Santa last year where I noted down the DVDs I owned on my ratings list, Power had "I wish" next to it. Clearly the rest of 2016 has been balancing this out

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Good. Because if I went to the theater and hallucinated seeing The Power of the Daleks with my wife's ex-husband, I'm going to seek mental health treatment.

These rom com scenarios just keep getting worse!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

These rom com scenarios just keep getting worse!

I'd watch pretty much any romcom if it had a missing Doctor Who story in the middle

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eight vs the Weeping Angels:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doom-coalition-4---details

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Interesting that it completely fails to mention River, despite her being on the cover

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Interesting that it completely fails to mention River, despite her being on the cover

There is a lengthy section about her, maybe they edited in afterwards?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

There is a lengthy section about her, maybe they edited in afterwards?

I swear that wasn't there a few minutes ago. :psyduck:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'd watch pretty much any romcom if it had a missing Doctor Who story in the middle

Ian Levine's search for love keeps falling flat when he says that his dates are worse than Hitler, but his singular quest to recover the missing Doctor Who tapes may find him love after all. Despite being advertised as the recovery The Wheel in Space, the film contains no actual footage of Doctor Who.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also I think we need a more optimistic view; The Ice Warriors is improved by the missing episodes, after all!

And Fury from the Deep only has surviving bits that got cut by Australian censors for being too terrifying so whenever things start moving you know poo poo is going down

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some things are better left unfound, I suppose. They recently discovered tapes of the missing episodes of the early cable access MST3K and the team basically said "We're really happy we found these, but they're honestly just too terrible to give out as Kickstarter rewards."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And Fury from the Deep only has surviving bits that got cut by Australian censors for being too terrifying so whenever things start moving you know poo poo is going down

This acting was pretty horrifying, I must admit!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Some things are better left unfound, I suppose. They recently discovered tapes of the missing episodes of the early cable access MST3K and the team basically said "We're really happy we found these, but they're honestly just too terrible to give out as Kickstarter rewards."

As some one who has sat through more of those than anyone should

No one should ever pay to see those. I love them to death for what they made, but the payment is having to WATCH them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I wasn't expecting quite so many characters, nor the return of the Angels so soon after Classic Doctors New Monsters.
With the inclusion of Ollistra, I'm guessing they're going to use this to jump start their early Time War series thing they've been planning for a while.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wasn't expecting quite so many characters, nor the return of the Angels so soon after Classic Doctors New Monsters.
With the inclusion of Ollistra, I'm guessing they're going to use this to jump start their early Time War series thing they've been planning for a while.

I think the Time War set is a one-off, not a whole series (sadly). That said, I really hope the end of the set ties right into Night of the Doctor (ideally with just straight up "I'm a doctor...but probably not the one you're expecting" being the final line.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I just went to look, and the release date on that Time War set is November 2017. Ugh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I just went to look, and the release date on that Time War set is November 2017. Ugh.

That's the great thing about Doctor Who, there's always something new to look forward to, whether it's a story you have been meaning to hear but just haven't gotten around to yet, or some future project, or one of the terrible novels that you'll resort to once you've caught up on everything.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

That's the great thing about Doctor Who, there's always something new to look forward to

What a world

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

LordZoric posted:

Don't feel too bad, I watched all those episodes and still feel confused. Vastra and Co. are introduced pretty unceremoniously and the less said about all the Kovarian stuff with Amy's baby, the better.

As for Amazon, it's kind of a mess. You know how Netflix has their shows organized by show and season in reasonable way? Amazon tosses that out of the window, at least for Doctor Who. For some reason they decided to sort all of the Christmas Specials into their own sets that aren't in the show's playlist. This means that if you just let autoplay take you to the next season, it'll skip the specials. I figured this out when I missed the one with the Great Intelligence that properly introduced Clara to the series. I am pretty sure it does this with the 50th Anniversary special as well.

For when you sit down on Christmas Eve/Day and marathon all the Christmas specials, I guess? :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a world

Seriously, the wilderness years were loving horrible, especially if like me you were largely unaware (blissfully, in many cases) of the novel range. Even in a year like this where we're only getting one new episode of the show I've still had so much "new" Who to experience in the meantime.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

greententacle posted:

For when you sit down on Christmas Eve/Day and marathon all the Christmas specials, I guess? :gonk:

2005 - 2015:

Hey this is pretty good!
Interesting, I really liked that one-off character too!
Oh sweet dear God in heaven what the gently caress was THAT!?! :gonk:
Ehhhhhhhh.... :shrug:
Oh God this is awful..... but they kinda stuck the landing and that final scene :swoon:
Oh hell yeah everything's going to be okay from now on! :hellyeah:
That was... okay. Liked the ending!
That ruled!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greententacle posted:

I did that once. I can't remember exactly when it was; but it was sometime during Smith's run.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

2005 - 2015:

Hey this is pretty good!
Interesting, I really liked that one-off character too!
Oh God this is awful..... but they kinda stuck the landing and that final scene :swoon:
Oh hell yeah everything's going to be okay from now on! :hellyeah:
That ruled!

I tried to fill this in but I keep getting a bad result for The Christmas Carol episode, which forces me to conclude that I must convince you to like it but increasing the size of your heart by several sizes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I tried to fill this in but I keep getting a bad result for The Christmas Carol episode, which forces me to conclude that I must convince you to like it but increasing the size of your heart by several sizes.

Then allow me to elaborate, because while there is no such thing as a consensus opinion when it comes to Doctor Who episodes, A Christmas Carol rules and I'll stand by that forever.

2005 - 2015:

Hey this is pretty good! - The Christmas Invasion
Interesting, I really liked that one-off character too! - The Runaway Bride
Oh sweet dear God in heaven what the gently caress was THAT!?! :gonk: - Voyage of the Damned
Ehhhhhhhh.... :shrug: - The Next Doctor
Oh God this is awful..... but they kinda stuck the landing and that final scene :swoon: - The End of Time (1 & 2)
Oh hell yeah everything's going to be okay from now on! :hellyeah: - A Christmas Carol
Oh sweet dear God in heaven what the gently caress was THAT!?! :gonk: - The Doctor, the Widow and the What the gently caress were you thinking Moffat I mean Jesus Christ what the gently caress was that?
Ehhhhhhhh.... :shrug: - The Snowmen
That was... okay. Liked the ending! - The Time of the Doctor
That ruled! - Last Christmas
That was... okay. Liked the ending! - The Husbands of River Song

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ah, okay, that's better.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Oh man, just realised this month's The Sontarans is written by Simon Guerrier. Extra reason to be interested in it now, have really enjoyed everything else he's done in the Hartnell era.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like The Time of the Doctor specifically because the "doctor going to war" consists of him stomping around in suspenders and a bow tie with a cane, pointing at things and striking cool poses.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well now I got it into my head to watch The end of the End of Time again - the complete 180 after the pivotal moment still gets to me every time, he's just so happy to have arrived! :allears:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

:thurman:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's a small part of me that says "just leave the Meddling Monk as he is and we'll all just kind of figure that he's the Master" but there's another part of me that admits he's one of the biggest fodders for story material that hasn't been over-mined.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
This is also the first time after (spoiler for the Eighth Doctor Adventures S4 finale) Lucy Miller's death that the Doctor will be facing the Time Lord responsible for it.

EDIT: Really sorry about that. Technically not accurate but to go into more detail would not be helpful.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 7, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Somehow, I had gotten this far without having that spoiled for me, or else I had forgotten. =/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I've already heard the story where that happened but something like that could probably use a spoiler tag dude :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's probably worth mentioning that there sort of is no spoiler policy for Big Finish, because a whole ton of it is old but most people haven't heard nearly all of it, so there's bound to be some genuinely excited and eager confusion (hey! the one place I can discuss that thing I listen to!). I try to use spoiler tags for anything important but if I ever miss, feel free to point it out and I'll edit appropriately.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
After editing my post, some baseless spoilered speculation based off of being up to date with the 8th Doctor's Adventures - knowledge of the outcome of Lucy's death would lock it in. Considering that he said he would return one day, and the fact that he hadn't seen her die meant that her fate was still in flux, if there was something that locked her death in or threatened to, it would be really interesting to see what would happen. They did have Sheridan Smith in recently for a Companion Chronicle - I'd be willing to bet that they had her record a few lines for this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Emerson Cod posted:

EDIT: Really sorry about that. Technically not accurate but to go into more detail would not be helpful.

It's all good man, like Bicyclops says there's not really any kind of spoiler policy for Big Finish since there is so much of it and everybody is listening to different parts of it at different times - I just try to play it by ear and avoid learning stuff I didn't get to yet and especially avoid giving away major stuff to those who haven't heard it yet. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, with Big Finish, it's a very difficult line to walk and it's easy to step over it. No worries. I've accidentally spoiled some pretty big things in Charlie's story before, and there are casting spoilers that make it hard not to accidentally let a few things slip about certain companions. People are mostly respectable here, and I don't think we need a policy. Mistakes happen. :)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

It's all good man, like Bicyclops says there's not really any kind of spoiler policy for Big Finish since there is so much of it and everybody is listening to different parts of it at different times - I just try to play it by ear and avoid learning stuff I didn't get to yet and especially avoid giving away major stuff to those who haven't heard it yet. :)

Our policy has always worked out to "if it's cool, keep it secret." I was roundly chastised for spoiling the villains in Seasons of Fear, even though it's on the Wikipedia page. And rightly so, the fact that Big Finish is lesser known (relatively speaking) means the Big Reveals haven't seeped into the popular consciousness. If you aren't reading ahead, you'll still get a chance to be surprised.

None of that matters for pointless poo poo, of course. We'll openly whine about The Boy That Time Forgot, for instance, because any reaction to the Reveal will be :shrug: at best.

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, the wilderness years were loving horrible, especially if like me you were largely unaware (blissfully, in many cases) of the novel range.

The flipside is that you had a lot of people trying to push the boundaries of what Doctor Who could be - Scherzo being the most obvious example. For me, one of the great things about Heaven Sent was the way it reminded me of that era.

I bring it up because I re-read the DWM Cyberman series the other day. It went in some :catdrugs: :aaaaa: directions, but I really ended up enjoying it, especially when it gets all Alan Moore Swamp Thing towards the end. Here's the complete run. The early ones are pretty low-res, unfortunately, but the bigger images luckily coincide with things getting interesting. Some prime avatar material in there at any rate.

It should be pointed out that these were intended to be read at a rate of a page a month, so each one is "...sometime later" leaving you to put together the intervening scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

Here's the complete run.

There's some delightfully weird stuff in there, this is probably the moment that stands out most to me though:

It sums up the true horror of the Cybermen really well to me.

• Locked thread