Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea that article echoes my thoughts on the mishap too: a skilled crew given a bad jet in good conditions at the right location to make a save. Now I won't say that I expect any crew to pull off what Sully and his co did; that would be a stretch and disservice to Sully's golden loving hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Pretty humble guy too, from everything I've heard. He doesn't sound like he thinks he's particularly special. He has a quote in an interview that goes something like "I made small, regular deposits of training and experience in the account over 40 years, and the balance happened to be high enough that I could make a very large withdrawal when I needed to".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The movie also spent all day trying to make the FAA and the NTSB look like bad guys, which is pretty sad.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Great Enoch posted:

People absolutely love to bring all sorts of crypto-racist "cultural factors" poo poo up whenever an asian airline has an accident, but I always find it funny when you point out that the pilot who caused this accident was also French.

I'm not discounting people bringing up crypto-racist bullshit up for the sake of being crypto-racist, but crew resource management (code for crypto-racism) and cultural factors are absolutely a factor in many historically significant airline crashes. But you don't have to take my word for it, just ask Captain Sum Ting Wong.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CommieGIR posted:

The movie also spent all day trying to make the FAA and the NTSB look like bad guys, which is pretty sad.

Yeah that was needlessly cringey.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That element felt like a creative decision to lend the movie some amount of conflict. The ending was just poo poo. Like oh hey you're a great pilot. We never doubted you really. Thanks for saving 155 people. Ok bye.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Godholio posted:

It seems like they could install a blinking red light or something to indicate Alternate Law.

I'm an idea guy, Airbus. Hire me.

Yeah but they'll just ignore it like all the other error messages and blinking lights and warning sounds because alarm fatigue.

Maybe if they had some kind of unique feedback that indicates when you're in Alternate Law and are about to stall? Like a thing that... shakes the stick... maybe...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea that article echoes my thoughts on the mishap too: a skilled crew given a bad jet in good conditions at the right location to make a save. Now I won't say that I expect any crew to pull off what Sully and his co did; that would be a stretch and disservice to Sully's golden loving hands.

On a phone by I think it was only 80% of the crews in the NTSB simulator hit the water softer than Sully did.

Impressive that he beat 20% of pilots that woke up some morning knowing that they were going to ditch in an a320 sim.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I think it was much worse than that on the sim (as in most pilots, fully knowing what they were getting into, ended up doing worse than he did).

He also deployed the airstream power generator early, and out of sequence which ended up buying him a whole lot of leeway.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 6, 2016

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Apropos of nothing, check out this sweet new mousepad I got featuring a mid-century advertising illustration of the most beautiful aeroplane ever built.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evil_bunnY posted:

I think it was much worse than that on the sim (as in most pilots, fully knowing what they were getting into, ended up doing worse than he did).

He also deployed the airstream power generator early, and out of sequence which ended up buying him a whole lot of leeway.

Even better, it was the APU that he ordered turned on out of sequence.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

joat mon posted:

Ah yes, i misremembered. Wish I could find the long form article I read about the whole thing, it was great.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea that was a baller call on his part.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Apropos of nothing, check out this sweet new mousepad I got featuring a mid-century advertising illustration of the most beautiful aeroplane ever built.

Posting Connie swag in the Connie Thread

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey those would look great inside a dumpster.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hogmartin posted:

Pretty humble guy too, from everything I've heard. He doesn't sound like he thinks he's particularly special. He has a quote in an interview that goes something like "I made small, regular deposits of training and experience in the account over 40 years, and the balance happened to be high enough that I could make a very large withdrawal when I needed to".

SORRY, YOUR GOOD OPINION ACCOUNT IS OVERDRAWN

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Platystemon posted:

Posting Connie swag in the Connie Thread

I've been looking for a new shower curtain...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

joat mon posted:

Why did turning on the APU early help? I failed to find a good explanation of it elsewhere.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lose engines; lose power save for battery.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PittTheElder posted:

Why did turning on the APU early help? I failed to find a good explanation of it elsewhere.

The regular procedure calls for turning it on after failed attempts at restarting the engines; at the altitude he was he didn't have the time for that because the procedure is written for when the aircraft lose power at cruising altitude, rather than early on in the climb. Having the APU on meant he kept power so the airplane remained in normal law until the end.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR1003.pdf#page66

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

From the NTSB recommendations:

quote:

Develop and validate comprehensive guidelines for emergency and abnormal checklist design and development. The guidelines should consider the order of critical items in the checklist (for example, starting the auxiliary power unit), the use of opt outs or gates to minimize the risk of flight crewmembers becoming stuck in an inappropriate checklist or portion of a checklist, the length of the checklist, the level of detail in the checklist, the time needed to complete the checklist, and the mental workload of the flight crew. (A-10-68)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

i have more youtubes for you :evilbuddy:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

hobbesmaster posted:

On a phone by I think it was only 80% of the crews in the NTSB simulator hit the water softer than Sully did.

Impressive that he beat 20% of pilots that woke up some morning knowing that they were going to ditch in an a320 sim.

From the article:

quote:

in a flight simulator in daylight conditions, the touchdown flight condition targets were only achieved once out of 12 attempts, even by pilots who were aware of the importance of maintaining sufficient airspeed, were fully expecting the dual-engine failure to occur, and knew that their failure to accomplish the maneuver would not be life-threatening.

:o:; basically

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Eej posted:

Maybe if they had some kind of unique feedback that indicates when you're in Alternate Law and are about to stall? Like a thing that... shakes the stick... maybe...

Two problems with that.

The stall warning would go off even if you were in Normal law and weren't actually about to stall. So it wasn't unique feedback. In one context, it means "You're going to kill everyone if you keep doing this." In another context, it means "Hey, in another context you'd be about to kill everyone but in this one you aren't."

Other problem with the AF447 was that their AoA was so high that the stall warning system concluded it couldn't possibly be seeing valid airspeed data and so this couldn't really be a stall. Then when the pilot did ease off on the stick a bit, the nose fell, the AoA fell into a reasonable range, so the stall warning system concluded it was now seeing valid, and too low, airspeed data and started going off again. So the stall warning system was actually encouraging the pilot to pull back on the stick, because that was shutting off the alarm.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

meltie posted:

From the article:

:o:; basically

You misunderstood - 11 of 12 pilots performed as well as Sully. An Airbus test pilot landed it like there's a secret A320 seaplane program.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
What does Sully do these days?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Phanatic posted:

Two problems with that.

The stall warning would go off even if you were in Normal law and weren't actually about to stall. So it wasn't unique feedback. In one context, it means "You're going to kill everyone if you keep doing this." In another context, it means "Hey, in another context you'd be about to kill everyone but in this one you aren't."

Other problem with the AF447 was that their AoA was so high that the stall warning system concluded it couldn't possibly be seeing valid airspeed data and so this couldn't really be a stall. Then when the pilot did ease off on the stick a bit, the nose fell, the AoA fell into a reasonable range, so the stall warning system concluded it was now seeing valid, and too low, airspeed data and started going off again. So the stall warning system was actually encouraging the pilot to pull back on the stick, because that was shutting off the alarm.

Hmm, so I guess i'm not made out for a cushy job as an Airbus engineer after all!

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

:stare:

Where d'you get one of these beauties?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

It's Clint Eastwood; what do you expect. :clint:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Previa_fun posted:

"Big Gubbermint tryin' to keep the American working man down."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

> screams at an empty chair

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Murgos posted:

What does Sully do these days?

He shills for ALPA in their attempts to FYGM an entire generation of pilots.

So gently caress him basically.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

hobbesmaster posted:

You misunderstood - 11 of 12 pilots performed as well as Sully. An Airbus test pilot landed it like there's a secret A320 seaplane program.

You're probably right - here's the quote from the report:

In 11 of the 12 runs [ditching on the Hudson River starting from 1,500 feet above the river at an airspeed of 200 kts.], the touchdown flightpath angle ranged between -1.5° and -3.6° (the touchdown flightpath angle achieved on the accident flight was -3.4°). In 1 of these 12 runs, a -0.2° touchdown flightpath angle was achieved by an Airbus test pilot who used a technique that involved approaching the water at a high speed, leveling the airplane a few feet above the water with the help of the radar altimeter, and then bleeding off airspeed in ground effect until the airplane settled into the water.

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR1003.pdf

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That element felt like a creative decision to lend the movie some amount of conflict. The ending was just poo poo. Like oh hey you're a great pilot. We never doubted you really. Thanks for saving 155 people. Ok bye.

Yeah it's a spectacular story but there's no villain in it. I mean you could try to go for an Angry Birds tie-in and turn the geese into terrorists, but, well...

The very idea of turning it into a movie is weird when you think about it. There was like five minutes of flight before it went splash in the river. Basically from take off to everybody being safe and sound on a ferry boat, you have a half hour, 2/3 consisting in putting people into boats. How do you do 96 minutes of movie action out of that?

Previa_fun posted:

He should take flights on airlines that follow the libertarian ideals of ignoring gubmint regulations; like LaMia.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

He should take flights on airlines that follow the libertarian ideals of ignoring gubmint regulations; like LaMia.

Air Koryo

Cheap flights to Pyongyang!

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 7, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea by reset you mean flip breakers cause "we saw a guy do it once on the ground" ...https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/circuit-board-solder-crack-cited-in-indonesia-airasi-419593/

Great Enoch posted:

People absolutely love to bring all sorts of crypto-racist "cultural factors" poo poo up whenever an asian airline has an accident, but I always find it funny when you point out that the pilot who caused this accident was also French.

What the gently caress is crypto racist? I didnt mention anything about culture. Thats a dumb choice and I described it as such.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

What the gently caress is crypto racist? I didnt mention anything about culture. Thats a dumb choice, regardless of other factors.

It also pretends that "safety culture" and "workplace culture" aren't common phrases.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

It also pretends that "safety culture" and "workplace culture" aren't common phrases.

Yea what a [racial epithet relevant to them] that internet poster is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wrong photo? it's not an a380