Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I'm hoping and praying for that sniper rifle briefcase. I don't even care if they make it so you can't complete challenges or anything with it, I don't care if it breaks the game, I wanna walk around with a sweet briefcase with a gun in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Maphis posted:

Not suit only but good enough for both unlocks.

Fwiw suit only is only a thing for the SOSA challenges.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Scott Forstall posted:

Most games come out and are out of regular coverage in a week or so. In the era of twitch (or a site like GB in my case), the regular content drip along with time limited stuff like ETs, is a massive coup for IOI. I'll be interested so see the sales curve.

Another benefit to the episodic release format that haters didn't think about. The game is always in the press. New content is always coming out, so it's always going to pop up on streaming channels. The game got noticeably better over time and people that are playing it are saying so. People are always saying, "I keep hearing good things about it".

Then WHAM, Steam sale. A lot of new players buy it, and love it. Recent review scores go through the roof. More positive word-of-mouth. And then the disc release is on the horizon, with all this positive momentum behind it. On top of that, you've got a lot of people that have played the game ready to put down another $60 on day one of Season 2.

What game company wouldn't kill for this kind of situation?

ed-

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm hoping and praying for that sniper rifle briefcase. I don't even care if they make it so you can't complete challenges or anything with it, I don't care if it breaks the game, I wanna walk around with a sweet briefcase with a gun in it.

I bet there will be a "briefcase gun" that only lets you access one type of sniper rifle with limited capabilities at the tradeoff of it being visibly harmless.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 6, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What does "Subsonic" do on a silenced pistol? That golden pistol with engravings is the only one that has it but...aren't all the silenced pistols silent?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WindyMan posted:

Another benefit to the episodic release format that haters didn't think about. The game is always in the press. New content is always coming out, so it's always going to pop up on streaming channels. The game got noticeably better over time and people that are playing it are saying so. People are always saying, "I keep hearing good things about it".

Then WHAM, Steam sale. A lot of new players buy it, and love it. Recent review scores go through the roof. More positive word-of-mouth. And then the disc release is on the horizon, with all this positive momentum behind it. On top of that, you've got a lot of people that have played the game ready to put down another $60 on day one of Season 2.

What game company wouldn't kill for this kind of situation?

ed-

I bet there will be a "briefcase gun" that only lets you access one type of sniper rifle with limited capabilities at the tradeoff of it being visibly harmless.

Make it like the pistol you get from Hokkido, 2 shots no reloads or something like that.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Jack Trades posted:

What does "Subsonic" do on a silenced pistol? That golden pistol with engravings is the only one that has it but...aren't all the silenced pistols silent?

The other silenced pistols are silent to a degree, but I'm pretty sure the golden one is like... double silent. Like there's degrees of quietness in this game and that one is the very quietest.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chexoid posted:

The other silenced pistols are silent to a degree, but I'm pretty sure the golden one is like... double silent. Like there's degrees of quietness in this game and that one is the very quietest.

But what does it mean?
Because from the little testing that I've done, the golden pistol doesn't let you do anything that a normal silenced pistol can't already do.

Silverballer is still the best pistol in the game. The micro pistol thing is the only other pistol I've had any reason to use and I only ever did that like, once.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 6, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jack Trades posted:

Subsonic silenced rounds are even quieter to the point where you can shoot someone from behind someone's back over their shoulder and they are hard to notice it.

IRL the science is this: a bullet firing has about 3 or 4 components that accounts for the actual gunshot. The sound of the gunpowder igniting in the chamber (which is minimal compared to the others), the sound of the gas escaping the chamber after the bullet leaves the barrel (which is what the suppressor actually dampens, the sound of the gun's slide and action racking the old shell casing out and rechambering (which you can't quiet in any meaningful way, but can be compensated by changing the action so that you have to manually rack the slide after every shot ala Metal Gear Solid's tranq pistol, a human can rack a slide quieter than a gas expansion mechanism can), and finally the last bit is the sonic boom that the bullet causes as it ripples through the air, which is what subsonic ammunition works on (which naturally only applies to bullets that go faster than the speed of sound, which is *most* rifle bullets, .45s are normally what you see in subsonic loads because regular loads are only barely faster than the speed of sound anyway).

If you want to nerd out in real life, keep in mind that a silencer + subsonic ammo doesn't completely dampen the sound of a gunshot, it'll still make a noise, but the difference is that the sound it makes isn't really identifiable as a gunshot anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Who wants a new easter egg video? This is the last big one the devs have been hinting at in Marrakesh, but there are apparently a lot more to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ULyN7gHrng

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
To see this in action, shoot the security footage machine with a regular pistol and the 2-2. Most of the pistols will cause the guards in that room to investigate exactly where you were when you fired it, the 2-2 shouldn't.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Subsonic silenced rounds are even quieter to the point where you can shoot someone from behind someone's back over their shoulder and they are hard to notice it.

I see. It makes sense.
I suppose I just never noticed that the shots from a silenced pistols could be heard at all because I never had to stand close enough to someone while shooting in the 70 hours that I played the game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A word of caution on the subsonic pistols, and the quieter ones generally- they kill from progressively shorter ranges. I like using the silenced camo gun, which seems to have a nice balance of silence and stopping force.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That 5-round non detectable pistol from the last map is my absolute favorite. It's just really sweet and you kinda have to design your strategy around its magazine capacity and strengths. It's a neat spy weapon. I love this game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

A word of caution on the subsonic pistols, and the quieter ones generally- they kill from progressively shorter ranges. I like using the silenced camo gun, which seems to have a nice balance of silence and stopping force.

A headshot is still a headshot :smug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The "best" pistol would probably be different depending on if you're playing with a mouse or a controller.

Silverballer is the best with the mouse cause "headshot is a headshot" and Seilverballer has the best range/accuracy but maybe it's better to go with the camo pistol if you're controller-ing it up, since it has a higher RoF and will let you kill dudes easier if you miss the first shot.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How annoying is taking off the opportunity markers? I'm probably gonna do it either way, but I'd be interested to hear people's take on it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

gently caress, wrong thread.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 7, 2016

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Sinteres posted:

If anyone's interested in following the saga of Weird Twitter YPG dude PissPigGranddad, here's an interview with him:

https://shadowproof.com/2016/12/06/american-syria-ypg-communal-society-ruins/

What does this have to do with hitting men?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

A headshot is still a headshot :smug:

A headshot will not kill at medium range with a subsonic pistol.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah I still get white hitmarkers if I'm using the fancy ornate pistol or the small gun for headshots. IMO it's pretty good balance because It still gives me a reason to use the silverballers. :v:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

PantsBandit posted:

How annoying is taking off the opportunity markers? I'm probably gonna do it either way, but I'd be interested to hear people's take on it.

I usually only put markers on when I need to find something really small and forgettable like the flashdrive in Paris. Or if I'm not super interested in an opportunity itself and just want the challenge XP.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PantsBandit posted:

Slightly, if you intend to actually attempt the opportunities, because some of them are pretty obscure or have some obtuse logic in what you need to do. Not at all if you just want to run through the map and do your thing. Some challenges are usually pretty closely tied to the situations the opportunities set up, so if you're hunting for those or if you're going for the “complete all opportunities” achievement, then turning them on is just a whole lot less painful than trying to blind-run it. At the other end of the scale, it's almost annoying not to turn them off, because you've run through the map a dozen times and you know what a conversation means — the game bothering you with a “want to track this opportunity?” pop-up just gets in your way at that point.

Other than that, the opportunities are pretty darn well: even with the fairly coarse granularity in settings, they will happily accommodate any play style from completely free and unbothered to slightly hinted to completely guided. In a sense, it's one of the game's difficulty settings, along with turning off the map and instinct.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I tend to play most games with subtitles on, and in Hitman only the important opportunity-based conversations are subtitled. So far I've been fine with the Opportunities totally turned off since paying attention to the conversations covers most of them. This and just exploration will get you by, plus it's incredibly satisfying to notice something on one playthrough you can make use of later. This is how I figured out the "Eye for an Eye" challenge in Sapienza, and pulling it off was probably my favorite moment in the game so far.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

What ranges are you trying to use a pistol at though? Let's be reasonable, you're going to be using a rifle if you're so far that you're relying on the bullet to land in the center of that huge crosshair.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Leaving markers off, but hints/objectives on is a good middle ground I think.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

What ranges are you trying to use a pistol at though? Let's be reasonable, you're going to be using a rifle if you're so far that you're relying on the bullet to land in the center of that huge crosshair.

No, I'm going to use a pistol because a bunch of them are really accurate and I can carry them in any disguise.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I've found the silver baller to be fine for most everything but sniper positions, but I also will use the mouse for shots I need to be accurate while I use a 360 controller for everything else.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

No, I'm going to use a pistol because a bunch of them are really accurate and I can carry them in any disguise.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
If you hold the trigger down gently with pistols it will make the reticle shrink and the gun will be more accurate but I always accidentally squeeze off a round when trying to do it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I found it really funny that you can just drop a remote mine on the virus in sapienza to destroy it. I was walking around in the lab trying to find a sneaky way to deal with it and had this moment of "...oh, yeah that'd probably do it."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

My favorite thing in Hitman so far has been trying to prep Novikov for an explosive kill during his meeting with the KGB guy, so I dropped a ducky in the rotunda before fetching the contact. I bring him in, he immediately notices it and puts it in his pocket. Souvenir, I guess.

The game still recognizes an active explosive if someone has picked it up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I will say one of the things I liked more about blood money was how unique and compact the levels were. The sprawling levels in hitman 2016 are very cool in their own way, but it also limits the type of situations they can put 47 in. Like, the suburbs level from blood money (a fan favorite) would never fly in this game because it's just a house, a couple yards, and the street.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The freeform nature of Blood Money is pretty overstated in retrospect, honestly. There was usually one environmental kill per level and then a number of openings for more traditional garrote / gunplay kills, because targets were largely stationary, with a few exceptions such as the guy in witness protection. The exponential increase in Hitman's clever trapsetting was a sensible response to what people most remembered about BM.

Plus, for the most part, the focus on setting has been more on impressive visuals and less on imaginative scenarios. Hokkaido and Colorado are pretty cool (the former in particular is very BM in a lot of ways) but I don't think Eidos will ever top Curtains Down in terms of memorable mission setup. There's "kill a fashion show director during Paris Fashion Week" and then there's "kill a redneck groom on his wedding day while the guests are blasting wild alligators with shotguns".

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 7, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
don't forget to turn the sink on when leaving the level in the christmas mission

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

The freeform nature of Blood Money is pretty overstated in retrospect, honestly. There was usually one environmental kill per level and then a number of openings for more traditional garrote / gunplay kills, because targets were largely stationary, with a few exceptions such as the guy in witness protection. The exponential increase in Hitman's clever trapsetting was a sensible response to what people most remembered about BM.

Plus, for the most part, the focus on setting has been more on impressive visuals and less on imaginative scenarios. Hokkaido and Colorado are pretty cool (the former in particular is very BM in a lot of ways) but I don't think Eidos will ever top Curtains Down in terms of memorable mission setup. There's "kill a fashion show director during Paris Fashion Week" and then there's "kill a redneck groom on his wedding day while the guests are blasting wild alligators with shotguns".

Oh no question, there's definitely more freedom now than back in Blood Money. I'm more talking about levels suffering creatively in a sense because of their scale. Hokkaido is actually a counter example, as it feels very thematically and visually consistent throughout. But something like Makkaresh feels the opposite, where areas are so large and compartmentalized that they could be completely different levels

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
The Holiday Hoarders trailer is really, really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2DINq_nkM

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pennfalath posted:

Everyone shut up and watch this.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pennfalath posted:

If I can't unlock an explosive present box similar to the yellow duck from this, I'm going to throw such a fit. :colbert:

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
They are trying to steal the presents, but if you make it to the presents before they do, you "can use whatever is in them"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is EXACTLY what I wanted for Christmas.