Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

RobotDogPolice posted:

I don't think anyone wanted tactics, just something more than two hosts standing in the middle of a room while people run into their bullets.

Eh, degrees imo.

I'm not watching westworld for its gun action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

RobotDogPolice posted:

You're strawmanning the hell out this.

It was a poorly directed scene that stood out in an otherwise great episode, it's worthy of criticism.

If you say so, you can complain and I can laugh at the dudes who demand better machine gun fights from westworld. Its a free forum.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Eh, degrees imo.

I'm not watching westworld for its gun action.

I'm not either, but some semblance of believability is nice in a show where you already have to suspend disbelief.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 7, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Sylvester would want to avoid the awkward followups of Stubbs asking "Why is she threatening to kill you? What did you do?"

"Felix has been loving with her memories and core programming and poo poo, and now they want to kill me if I don't remove the bomb in her spine."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
God help us all when the Robert Frost quoting ninjas attack four armed robo-Ford and they just surround him in a circle and bob around while he defeats them one by one.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tunicate posted:

"Felix has been loving with her memories and core programming and poo poo, and now they want to kill me if I don't remove the bomb in her spine."
Pfft. No one in the corporate world would ever throw a coworker under the bus like that, I can only suspend my disbelief so far man!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sticklefifer posted:

Who else would Ford be making in the basement directly underneath the rest of his robot family?

I assumed when I saw that episode he was making a host double for Theresa to cover up her murder.

So much for that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lmao I guess nothing ruins the internets day like a gunfight that isnt directed by Tom Clancy's personal retinue of Way of the Gun fanatics.

They didnt even check the corners or do the cool hand signals :cry:
It didn't need to be more tacticool or whatever. I would have been just as disinterested in some sort of super tactical strategy fight bullshit.

A bunch of people, humans as far as we could tell, died in really silly ways to make our characters seem cool. That's weirdly at odds with the whole tone of the rest of the show. We've had a bunch of ridiculous action setpieces where heroes took down crowds like they were nothing... because those scenes were scripted! It was taking the piss out of dumb action scenes up until now... when they have a real dumb action scene where real people die, and they treat it in the same goofy way. No one involved in this thought "what's that guy thinking?" when they scripted the security dudes. They security guys weren't thinking. They were props. Or at least that's how the finished product makes me feel.

Honestly, thinking about it that way this... probably was supposed to be a parallel to what humans do inside the park. The whole euphoria and freedom Hector and Armistice felt as they gunned down a bunch of humans neatly reflecting what has been done to them every day for the past thirty years.

Hmm.

Maybe its lame-ness was the point... that could be interesting.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh, speaking of Ghost Nation I truly hope every now and then an actual native American comes to play the game and there's a quest line to take them over and lead them against the other players to gently caress up their poo poo. That'd be funny as hell to see in the background, another season.
Every time I hear "Ghost Nation" I think of The Ghost Hunt, aka The Wild Hunt. Ep10 solidified it for me something fierce.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Idk, its dumb tv guards who need to get got without burning up a lot of screentime. Thats what they do.

I will give that in comparison to a lot of the quick and lethal gun stuff inside WW it wasnt as good but I couldnt tell you if thats because those were well done or the P90 power hour was real bad or what.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I loved how their P90s looked just like my custom skinz in CoD

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Question, in the lab the dumb rear end pizza guy was taking off the shrink wrap of the tattooed chick. He was practically doing an unbox video. Do, do you think they ordered the replacement bodies from China?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I dont know what guise "worthy of criticism" here practically means - you're not giving notes to the production staff, so whats the goal?

To me, this thread is about finding interesting easter eggs, neat connections, or otherwise constructive stuff to the experience. I understand the show isn't above criticism, but criticizing something because it wasn't realisitic enough is missing the point of "did it serve the story or experience as a viewer"

Eiba posted:

Maybe its lame-ness was the point... that could be interesting.
Now you're gettin somewhere - yea. Ford orchestrated a lot of stuff. The hosts are awake, but choosing to kills humans is where they take on their own sentience, or choosing not too. Even if those QA guards were humans, I still think the whole shootout scene was really enjoyable and not at all dimisnhed by dumb guards being guard for plot purposes. Armi and Hector needed to get out, they could mow down a bunch of gaurds or stealthed there way the whole time, I'm happy to see they mowed down dummies. Was fun and not tedious. The show spent it's time being tedious elswehere, where it was better suited for slow details.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
So what the gently caress was up with the not-Orion carvings?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea, and the moon. Do we ever get a scene with the real moon?

Between the moon and the orion carving I still can't tell if we are on earth or on a different planet.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just put together something horrifying

"You know what we did to the Neanderthals? We ate them."

.. the hosts that are awaiting Wyatt and are attacking Delos have repeatedly shown to be cannibals. Holy gently caress.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

You vastly overestimate how smart humans are.

Brexit. Trump. Need I go on?

I don't get it. Trump is going to be a great President, certainly better than Hillary

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

I don't get it. Trump is going to be a great President, certainly better than Hillary

Thanks for proving my point.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Idk, its dumb tv guards who need to get got without burning up a lot of screentime. Thats what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYQ-u9mnUGw

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's weird because the action scenes in previous episodes were pretty good. Then we get this really awful set of action scenes thay just drag on and on and aren't interesting or scsry or even fun. Just lame

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

If everybody keeps complaining about the loving gunfights, season 2's budget is going to be all gratuitous action sequences.

so suck a lemon, everyone!!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But they waste a ton of screentime on them killing guards, and the killing scenes just drag on and on.

I'd rather have a scene of Anthony hopkins getting dressed and esting oatmeal in silence thsn havr to watch random fudes get mowed down for no good reason beyond scripting a bodycount

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 7, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Thought they were fun. Armistance almost has an orgasim when she realizes how effective the guns are, that was a fun little part about her character going from old to new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFxaCa-hr8o

this should be the thread title

But they waste a ton of screentime on them killing guards, and the killing scenes just drag on and on.

It was a couple minutes of the bots having fun realizing what the could do with the new tech. IT wasn't that long, like 5 minutes I think?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I really liked whenever Armistance did something the normal score turned terminatory. After posting the clip I just did it reminded me even more.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KoRMaK posted:

It was a couple minutes of the bots having fun realizing what the could do with the new tech. IT wasn't that long, like 5 minutes I think?

No there's multiple action scenes where they keep killing guards

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

No there's multiple action scenes where they keep killing guards

Rad, lookin forward to a super cut of it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I said earlier in the thread that Westworld tricked everybody into watching what is basically Star Trek.

So now I am forcing the comparison.
If the gunfights in the last episode are so annoying; explain to me why Data -- the Android -- still shakes around on the bridge when they're hit by something even though he's capable of trillions of calculations per second and presumably has a gyroscope?!

^
(thats how this argument is going)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jesus Christ this thread. Gonna be a long-rear end wait until 2018.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Yeah, this is HBO. The true focus has always been in the storytelling, but frankly the money and a lot of the outside attention has always been in the violence, and they know it. The fact that we only really got two full-on blood bath shootouts, in the first and last episodes of The new centerpiece series is, if anything, a decent showing of restraint.

Side note in regards to the above point RE: the utility of violence in modern storytelling, I did enjoy The Atlantic's article on the WW finale. Don't know if anyone's discussed it in this thread, I've honestly only been on board the past few pages.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

FuhrerHat posted:

I said earlier in the thread that Westworld tricked everybody into watching what is basically Star Trek.

So now I am forcing the comparison.
If the gunfights in the last episode are so annoying; explain to me why Data -- the Android -- still shakes around on the bridge when they're hit by something even though he's capable of trillions of calculations per second and presumably has a gyroscope?!

^
(thats how this argument is going)

lol, the difference is the hosts are just supposed to be regular dudes whereas Data is a genius supercomputer in a human body

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's weird because the action scenes in previous episodes were pretty good. Then we get this really awful set of action scenes thay just drag on and on and aren't interesting or scsry or even fun. Just lame

The rule is simple, everything relate to Maeve is awful. Look forward to Maeve's awful kid search arc next season.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I am looking forward to 10 episodes of Shogun-World, which is basically that Tom Cruise white-savior movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did I miss a scene with what happened to the QA guy after he got talent Joe's by the Ghost Nation?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did I miss a scene with what happened to the QA guy after he got talent Joe's by the Ghost Nation?

No

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

whatever7 posted:

The rule is simple, everything relate to Maeve is awful. Look forward to Maeve's awful kid search arc next season.

Is Maeve going to be the Danarys of Westworld?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I like Daenerys and Maeve.

I like bad TV, don't I? :(

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like they should've called the samurai park Eastworld, just to stay thematic.

KoRMaK posted:

Yea, and the moon. Do we ever get a scene with the real moon?

Between the moon and the orion carving I still can't tell if we are on earth or on a different planet.

The Orion carving was explained. The extra "star" was a satellite the host was beaming data to.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

LEts make another thread, WestWorld: Uh actually, its bad

and in there we post all the complaints we have. That way we can keep it consolidated to each topic

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

packetmantis posted:

So what the gently caress was up with the not-Orion carvings?

general direction of the satellite they were trying to upload to, which set off the hosts doing freaky poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
yeah, I thought the extra stars were the location of where the satellite would be to upload their data

• Locked thread