Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

moveable shape posted:

Everybody stop talking about Star Marine or evocatti patch bullshit and start taking about how much loving money has been wasted producing this embarrassment. Where the gently caress did the money go? Where did it come from? Holy poo poo
Cotton Eye Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Squualude is going to be the product of like $100m and it will be two hours long

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A visionary idea evaluated posted:

Comrade Lazarev proposed a tank destroyer with the following characteristics:
  • Mass: 200-250 tons.
  • Speed: 250-300 kph.
  • Armour: 150 mm
Comrade Lazarev evaluated this idea as worthy of attention, but it is not founded on any kind of technical calculations or theoretical basis.

Comrade Lazarev's proposal does not have a single technical calculation, and only has a description, which is composed poorly from a technical standpoint. For instance, the issue of speed. Comrade Lazarev proposes that the tank destroyer can achieve a speed of 250-300 kph, with a mass of 200-250 tons, which is hardly possible even with modern technology. A special suspension would have to be built which can navigate terrain at such speeds but also provide high speeds.

On the issue of the transmission, comrade Lazarev writes that engines inside the cylinder move forward when it strikes something, and then they return to their initial positions. Comrade Lazarev does not mention how the engines would still transfer power at this moment. Comrade Lazarev also did not think about how to transport this vehicle or how it would cross water hazards.

Comrade Lazarev has not thought out the issue of creating a suspension for this tank. I think that comrade Lazarev's suggestion is not well thought out and therefore technically impossible to implement.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
How is this prelude going to make them any god drat money?? What are they even selling when it launches? Seriously what the gently caress is going on in the next 12 months

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Cotton Eye Joe.
More like cotton-dyed blow.

Or rotten fried dough, in Ben's case.

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 7, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

moveable shape posted:

How is this prelude going to make them any god drat money?? What are they even selling when it launches? Seriously what the gently caress is going on in the next 12 months

Seriously, I used to think once they actually release anything, it's game over. But nope. Once they release anything, they are free of their kickstarter obligations, I.e. they can sit in the nest they siphoned off.
The whole world will know they produce a mediocre game (for 1996) at best and nobody will buy into it any more.
But citizens, citizens never change. They will keep pouring in money and Roberts will keep making a tidy sum off them. Whether he releases any more products or just waits it out and then dishes out lovely patches once in a blue moon remains to be seen.

But I said it before and I stand by it. No one is going to jail, Roberts gets away with it and can live the Hollywood live off the back for the whales for years to come. Just another rear end in a top hat that made it big by recklessly screwing others. Such is the way of the world today.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 7, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

...and therefore Star Citizen will come out and be good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hopper posted:

Just another rear end in a top hat that made it big by recklessly screwing others. Such is the way of the world today.
Trump's world
:capitalism:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lol they shill so hard for Roberts vision that they think we give a gently caress about any of Dereks lovely games? They are projecting again I think.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No, you don't understand. You're either a SC shill or a LOD shill, there is no middle ground here

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
On a positive note, the backers are paying the salary for about 300 family's worldwide.

And it's almost Christmas.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

thatguy posted:

It's bizarre to me that this is where so many of you guys draw the line to the realm of impossibility.

starkebn posted:

yeah, I can't see any reason to have multiple builds.

It's not impossible, just ludicrously dumb and counter-productive. It's the opposite of what you do for testing, because x additional builds means x additional comparisons to make between code to track down what happened. It's multiplying your labor by a ton, and debugging is where software development is laborious.

Now, if they were doing it, the only conceivable purpose would actually be to root out leaks and bad froggers... It would mean the whole avocado system isn't about testing at all, but as a PR campaign to get their most devoted cultcommunity members and have them spread the good news of new featured coming Any Day Now.

But even that's unbelievable because producing those multiple builds, and having a system to distribute them to each selected subset of avocados, and having walled-off servers to keep the builds seperated, and a dozen other things are all more than I think they're capable of pulling off without it being totally obvious or a complete disaster.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orions Lord posted:

On a positive note, the backers are paying the salary for about 300 family's worldwide.

And it's almost Christmas.

"the federal government mandates a nationwide minimum wage of $7.25 per hour."

heh.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

moveable shape posted:

Everybody stop talking about Star Marine or evocatti patch bullshit and start taking about how much loving money has been wasted producing this embarrassment. Where the gently caress did the money go? Where did it come from? Holy poo poo

I wonder how much of the money being spent on this train wreck is coming from ssi and other disability benefit programs.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Not defending Derek, but LoD is playable and on Steam Early Access.

Sadly comparing apples to apples, LoD is definitely more functional than SC is at this point. I'm wondering why I said that and it left an awful aftertaste.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Sandweed posted:

Lol they shill so hard for Roberts vision that they think we give a gently caress about any of Dereks lovely games? They are projecting again I think.

I feel like that's their fall-back every time "THIS TIME DEREK WILL BE SILENCED" is met with the deafening roar of Derek Smart's twitter account. Every day they declare victory and every day no one wins anything.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I feel like that's their fall-back every time "THIS TIME DEREK WILL BE SILENCED" is met with the deafening roar of Derek Smart's twitter account. Every day they declare victory and every day no one wins anything.

The goons are wrong, I bought an Idris to prove it!

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

without it being totally obvious or a complete disaster.

Wait, what game have you been watching?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

moveable shape posted:

Everybody stop talking about Star Marine or evocatti patch bullshit and start taking about how much loving money has been wasted producing this embarrassment.
He doesn't usually look wasted.

Usually.

moveable shape posted:

Where the gently caress did the money go?
Still listed in AtV credits as the editor.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Is there a Star Citizen Bitcoin mining ship yet

Just think about how they can leverage Cloud computing, subsumption and their procedural tech to make the ultimate bitcoin miner, also solving hashes could be a fun minigame

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Is there a Star Citizen Bitcoin mining ship yet

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
free Roberts

(dread pirate)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Exinos posted:

The thread title should also be Star Citizen: Cargoship Cult Community

This is good.

alf_pogs posted:

we're beyond that and hitting the Mental Illness Event Horizon

Star Citizen: Mental Illness Event Horizon

I like this too.

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's not impossible, just ludicrously dumb and counter-productive. It's the opposite of what you do for testing, because x additional builds means x additional comparisons to make between code to track down what happened. It's multiplying your labor by a ton, and debugging is where software development is laborious.

Now, if they were doing it, the only conceivable purpose would actually be to root out leaks and bad froggers... It would mean the whole avocado system isn't about testing at all, but as a PR campaign to get their most devoted cultcommunity members and have them spread the good news of new featured coming Any Day Now.

But even that's unbelievable because producing those multiple builds, and having a system to distribute them to each selected subset of avocados, and having walled-off servers to keep the builds seperated, and a dozen other things are all more than I think they're capable of pulling off without it being totally obvious or a complete disaster.

I agree with this. It's highly unusual for someone to produce multiple special builds for wider testing. That's the sort of stuff individual developers would do when design testing to ensure their particular feature works in isolation. Once multiple new features are integrated back for a release and the internal QA team is getting diminishing returns (plus developers are knocking their ticket list down), that's when a single integrated build is sent out to wider testing to build extra confidence.

I don't buy the "root out the leakers" reason for special builds. I do buy it for more mundane PR reasons though. The trend throughout 2016 was ever-decreasing stability as the meager feature list CIG did manage to integrate just created more bugs. Given the fact that SM seems to be in a continuous state of "Oh poo poo panic to get it working" (remember the delayed livestream), it would not surprise me in the least that CIG would introduce SM-specific shortcuts (aka "hacks") or even walk back some of the PU-specific CryEngine customisations in special builds just to improve the FPS stuff to shove out to their avocados.

If they are doing that then they are robbing Peter to pay Paul, with the end game being SM being released as another separate module with horrible merge issues rather than being integrated into the PU as CRobbler intended. The illusion of progress to sell ships is more important than less-visible actual progress, which has been CIG's problem since its inception. In fact, the whole idea of SM seems odd given that CRobbler said it was already supposed to be in the game. It seems to have been reintroduced as a short term "gap filler" due to the horrible delays with SQ42 and other PU features.

And furthermore... continued page 9400

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheLastRoboKy posted:

a never ending story until someone runs out of money. then it will be a one sided conversation.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
It's almost time for the "Just wait until the holiday live stream shuts up Derek and his goons!" 2nd year anniversary.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Will SC be out before we reach 6666 again?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Exinos posted:

It's almost time for the "Just wait until the holiday live stream shuts up Derek and his goons!" 2nd year anniversary.

Too late :smug:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The idea that a developer would get the cameras running before having downloaded the client and tested that it works is just baffling, biggest :psyduck: moment in a while, at least for me

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

Too late :smug:

I can't wait for the big reveal coming in E3 2016 GamesCom 2016 CitCon 2016 probably not E3 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

I think it's a viable development strategy to have multiple current builds out to your nonprofessional test squad, maybe even one tailored build for each evocatus

True story, at one company where I worked (not my current one I may add) we actually did this for the review build. Each build had a tiny change, an unique ID buried in the code. We wanted to work out who was leaking our builds to the pirates (in the end it turned out not to be the reviewers, so it was a waste of time)

But yea sending out multiple differing builds is a bigger pain in the rear end than is really worth it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcWkqliP6A&t=1117s

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/800324262678630404

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/804106985432055809

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/804107295621873665

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/804835495171817472

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/805929989124263940

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/806291601542803456

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
We met my parents yesterday and I still love them. My one year old is very attached to her mom and grandma, so it seems I understand baby development to some extent.

And Star Citizen is still poo poo.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

I think it's a viable development strategy to have multiple current builds out to your nonprofessional test squad, maybe even one tailored build for each evocatus

I don't think different builds are worth it. It'd be easier to have a single build with multiple feature toggles, and assign users to a bucket of features being tested (say based on the last two digits of their user-id). That way you don't have to worry about compiling xx different versions of the code, but you can still get metrics sent back associated with a user and the set of features being tested.

Identifying horrible leakers is a separate problem. I think Moma mentioned fractional differences in documentation, which might work, but doesn't scale well without automation. You could reasonably easily embed a user's unique ID into documentation during installation (say as variable amounts of whitespace), or perhaps request unique per-player patches during download, but it'd require effort and competence.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Ghostlight posted:

Cotton Eye Joe.

Dang it man I had chocolate milk in the fridge!!! I could have been drinking that!!!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

JugbandDude posted:

We met my parents yesterday and I still love them. My one year old is very attached to her mom and grandma, so it seems I understand baby development to some extent.

And Star Citizen is still poo poo.

It's cute when my baby fills his diaper and I yell out "The baby star marined his nappy again!!!" Everyone laughs and I change the baby and reset the joke by feeding him more prunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The idea that a developer would get the cameras running before having downloaded the client and tested that it works is just baffling, biggest :psyduck: moment in a while, at least for me

Why? They've repeatedly done live events with builds they were downloading while people were waiting outside. They even did a mini-documentary on how incompetent they were for CitCon this year.

The only thing that would surprise me at this point is if CIG did something right.