Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
They briefly mentioned Trump running for president last season, so it's sometime in 2015 then. I wouldn't be surprised if they throw Trump in next season and have a ball with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

siggy2021 posted:

They briefly mentioned Trump running for president last season, so it's sometime in 2015 then. I wouldn't be surprised if they throw Trump in next season and have a ball with it.

As someone who thought season 2 was overall very weak a Trump plotline would make it totally worth sitting through.

(Seriously the prison twist was so hack-y, season would have been way better if they had just straight up shown him in prison from the start.)

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 6, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What's the timeline for the show? Are they going to keep inserting clips of Obama or are they going to switch to Trump?

Maybe Trump tweets?

First season ended July 2015, season 2 started up about a month later and then ran for another couple of months but it was unclear how long.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I hope the next season is how fsociety hacked the election for trump because pizzagate is real

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just wrapped up S2. I hosed up and watched the last episode before I watched the penultimate one but it's crazy how it still sorta worked because first half of the finale had the Angela story and the second half had the Darlene story. Imagine my excitement and then disappointment when I discovered the end of the season wasn't the cliffhanger to the actual finale though.

I was confused as gently caress when Tyrell just popped out of nowhere but it had been a while since I'd watched the previous episode and this show loves to mess with the audience so I just rolled with it.

The music curating in this show is incredible, in the second half of the finale alone The Moth elevated a good scene into a classic and The Hall of Mirrors hit the intro perfectly. The intros to Mr Robot episodes are almost mini-movies unto themselves. :allears:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Antti posted:

I just wrapped up S2. I hosed up and watched the last episode before I watched the penultimate one but it's crazy how it still sorta worked because first half of the finale had the Angela story and the second half had the Darlene story. Imagine my excitement and then disappointment when I discovered the end of the season wasn't the cliffhanger to the actual finale though.

I made the exact same mistake.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This is possibly my favorite intro.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

This. Even if I didn't like season 2 overall, the intros in Mr Robot are always great. It's a very weird thing to be good at, but they do nail it.

For some reason the heavy metal toenail painting opening has always stuck with me.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLRNoS8H-A

I saw some of these in this thread, but others are completely new to me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Esmail tweets about Trump all the time. I suspect he will use this new muse quite a bit.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

blunt posted:

Goddam, this is why this is the best show on television.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

blunt posted:

Mr. Robot is exactly the level of loving with the audience I would do myself if I somehow got to write and produce a TV show. Sound steganography? ARG websites? Throw it all in!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Sam Esmail makes another cameo in this scene 8 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZQhIe6m5nc&t=8s

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

oops nvm

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Just finished season two. One thing I really haven't seen mentioned that I think deserves some consideration is that Male and Female WhiteRose actually are Male and Female, one being from one universe and the other, well, from the other. Aside from indicators like squatting to piss on the grave, I don't think we've seen Whiterose changing sexes in a scene - have we? The anagram being 'otherwise' is also an interesting touch.

Don't have a lot of proof for this other than speculation, but thought it was worth considering.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

sublyme posted:

Just finished season two. One thing I really haven't seen mentioned that I think deserves some consideration is that Male and Female WhiteRose actually are Male and Female, one being from one universe and the other, well, from the other. Aside from indicators like squatting to piss on the grave, I don't think we've seen Whiterose changing sexes in a scene - have we? The anagram being 'otherwise' is also an interesting touch.

Don't have a lot of proof for this other than speculation, but thought it was worth considering.

I also think they maybe different people, mainly because we have never seen a transition, but when squatting the ostensibly female white rose messes with their junk (points it down) before pissing.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

sublyme posted:

It may be a second child policy thing, and the elder brother pretend to be transgender to let his younger sister have some fun and do stuff she is better at than him but it's kinda weird and far fetched.Two people, one name.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the FBI says he doesn't have a sister. So that doesn't make any sense.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Snak posted:

Have you played Bioshock Infinite?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Snak posted:

Whiterose was lying to her about the sister because they didn't want her to know the dresses were for them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

Whiterose was lying to her about the sister because they didn't want her to know the dresses were for them.

Yes. Whiterose is one person. I am not confused. I was specifically saying that the two people theory, where they are actually siblings, doesn't make any sense.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

punchymcpunch posted:

Obviously it's a pilot program to genetically engineer a generation of superhacker Chinese sleeper agents, and E-Corp was ordered to kill the parents of prime candidates to awaken their abilities, like what happened with Batman.

Just finished the second season, and after thinking about it a bit, this is my conclusion too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My conclusion is, it's probably angels or possibly dinosaurs who are behind all this

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zzulu posted:

My conclusion is, it's probably angels or possibly dinosaurs who are behind all this

Mr. Robot is a literal angel. Gideon is going to show up again, and he'll also be a literal angel (but one that everyone can see).

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Oh it's like a good version of The OA, cool

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

it was actually fandango society all along

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat just blew through both seasons this show is so good, I'm sure it's already mentioned but I like how season 1 is basically Fight Club but with hacking, they don't even try to hide it, with the piano version of Where is my Mind at the end of season 1 followed by a bunch of popcorn popping instead of buildings exploding.

I'm bummed he never got back at the guy he broke out of prison that was some dark poo poo. I was really hoping that with the weird trunk thing in that bizarre Too Many Cooks sitcom episode that it was Tyrell in the trunk instead of the girl.

Tyrell's wife, while incredibly beautiful and evil, annoys me and I wish she would go away.

Craig Robinson is kind of terrifying, who knew?

Deepweb poo poo is scary.

Me a more needing some now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, Sam Esmail has outright said he wanted to tell a story where Fight Club was Act 1, and then tell what happens next.

Antti posted:

Mr. Robot is exactly the level of loving with the audience I would do myself if I somehow got to write and produce a TV show. Sound steganography? ARG websites? Throw it all in!
Nine Inch Nails did something similar with the ARG for their album Year Zero. Playing with spectral frequency is some cool poo poo.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 3, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm hoping that season 3 hold back some of the cack handed philosophy that drained season 2 of so much energy.

I love a good mystery as much as the next dude, but the fact that the Elliot/Tyrell mystery is STILL unresolved irked me hard.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I love a good mystery as much as the next dude, but the fact that the Elliot/Tyrell mystery is STILL unresolved irked me hard.

What mystery? This isn't the "they're the same person" poo poo again is it? Because they aren't.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm just hopeful that they don't try another season long "blow your mind" twist that gets figured out immediately by reddit after the premiere episode. That prison twist took waaaaaaaaay too long to resolve and hurt the pacing IMO.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JazzFlight posted:

I'm just hopeful that they don't try another season long "blow your mind" twist that gets figured out immediately by reddit after the premiere episode. That prison twist took waaaaaaaaay too long to resolve and hurt the pacing IMO.

This. It was awesome the first time, interesting the second time (it did took too long, I agree).

But if they pull that poo poo again, it becomes a lame gimmick

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, Eliot being removed from everyone for so long didn't help the story. I realized how badly I missed some of the basic hacking stuff when he tracked down that cell phone near the end of the season.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Darlene episode was the best one in season 2. I want to see way more of her next year.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
You can just not look at Reddit and ruin a show for yourself you know.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

grilldos posted:

You can just not look at Reddit and ruin a show for yourself you know.

See, I didn't, and didn't see the S2 twist coming at all, and it still was massively underwhelming. My reaction was "oh, he's in prison" because it doesn't change absolutely anything. It made some dissonant elements more consistent, but from a structural perspective there's not a ton of difference between "Elliot is out of commission because he has locked himself up in his childhood life" and "Elliot is out of commission because he has locked himself up in prison".

The second time you see a trick is when you start noticing flaws. S1 was more of an dissection of the Fight Club concept then an actual twist, and that level of self awareness made it fresh and ensured that everyone, no matter when you cottoned on, found something interesting to watch. S2 was just them playing the twist straight-except it's not really a twist because nothing changes. And once it's revealed it's dropped almost instantly to the show's benefit. I hope they don't feel obligated to force something like it in every season because it's already pretty tired.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I had the reverse feeling, that the Fight Club poo poo they played with in the first season was stale, to the point where the Pixies references made me really roll my eyes, saved only by the show acknowledging outright the fact it was too on the nose with that. What kept my blood pumping for that season was simply the freshness of the show as a whole. Season 2 doubled down on the the themes set up in Season 1, spreading them across all the characters on the board in the form of some really nice character work, which is the poo poo that gets my dick hard. What I liked about the prison thing was what it meant for Elliot's own mental state that he had to toy with himself and the audience like that, and the broader meta commentary that con against the audience means for a show like that in a social and economic climate that is 2016. I wasn't too Shocked or whatever by that reveal, but appreciated the motivations behind it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Legin Noslen posted:

Yeah, somebody thinking something is going to happen on a TV show is JUST like somebody carrying a printer across town in hopes of getting pity sex from a woman they barely know.

Oh wait, no it isn't, and you're stupid as gently caress.

You've got issues.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Prison twist was horrible IMHO. It makes the whole first half of the season so completely boring and devoid of tension, we got like 6 episodes of him just hanging out in a park and loving around on the dark web, and then after all that boring poo poo we get the reveal that he was actually in an interesting setting the whole time.

In my honest opinion, the twist really should have been just the reason he was in prison. If the audience thought he was in prison for the Mr Robot poo poo, and then it was revealed he was only in for the dog thing then that would have at least let us enjoy the prison setting. As it is it almost feels like we were robbed of tension and an interesting storyline, the whole thing was just dressed up to be super boring and borderline nonsensical with the twist being that it was actually an interesting plot all along, just completely hidden from the viewer for no reason.

Mr Robot got good again after that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
How good was Grace Gummer this season though?

• Locked thread