Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
VR Sports and The Unspoken are definitely for preorder because you get a code. For now, Medium, Quill, and Dead and Buried are free for now when you pair your touch. No idea for how long. Hopefully through Christmas at least for people who are waiting to open theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, I really like my Touch controllers and everything but the idea that the Vive and Oculus were at all comparable up to this point is laughable. We had half a system. Should have just gone with the Vive from the jump but that's irrelevant now.

bargefink was right

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I'm going to have to move my furniture and get the Vive set up again. I never gave Rec Room an honest try because I have an extremely nervous/anxious social disposition; ditto Onward. Haven't tried SPT since it got that melee weapon, either, and The Unspoken looks neat.

Also Superhot having a VR mode sounds pretty great!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, I really like my Touch controllers and everything but the idea that the Vive and Oculus were at all comparable up to this point is laughable. We had half a system. Should have just gone with the Vive from the jump but that's irrelevant now.

I don't think anyone ever said that the Rift without motion controllers was comparable to the entire Vive package. The only viable comparison were the headsets themselves. Each with its own pros and cons. Now that the Rift has motion controls, the Rift and Vive are pretty much at full parity and each has its own pros and cons.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

The vive experience for me was a month of excitement and then coming to terms with the reality of the SteamVR indie wasteland. Probably best to wait until now.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I think I'm going to have to move my furniture and get the Vive set up again. I never gave Rec Room an honest try because I have an extremely nervous/anxious social disposition; ditto Onward. Haven't tried SPT since it got that melee weapon, either, and The Unspoken looks neat.

I quickly resorted to whistling and gestures in rec room, as my english is horrible apparently and am not gud at talk.

I've setup my rift sensors diagonally 4 meters apart and 2 meters up. it works surprisingly well. Was able to play The lab and budget cuts 360 without too many issues. That said im still going to get a 3rd sensor.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nice, thanks

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Just because you can talk in Rec Room and Onward doesn't mean you have to, and a lot of people just don't.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Is there not a way to start a new game in SuperHot for purposes of demoing to friends? I guess I could poke around and find where the saves are stored.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Butt Discussin posted:

Just because you can talk in Rec Room and Onward doesn't mean you have to, and a lot of people just don't.

I did say extremely, just being there is enough to get me all bothered even if I'm muted and deafened

Which says a lot about VR, really, now that I think about it, because sure as hell talking in a match of a more traditional game doesn't bother me (much)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
wow, ripcoil's movement is... well, I don't think I'll ever get used to it. After 10 minutes of trying I got frustrated and gave up. Head tilt is NOT the way to go for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had to reinstall Oculus Home since now you can choose where to install games when installing. Now I have 40 gigs free on my SSD and my games drive is rapidly filling up again.

Edit: ^^^ Ripcoil is definitely not that great. I played one match and won and then immediately quit.It's an interesting concept but not one I want to keep playing.

Double Edit: Does anyone know what is the difference between Touch Tutorial Complete and Oculus First Contact?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 7, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just so I know for tonight, how does using Oculus stuff with the Vive actually work? All I know is the phrase 'ReVive' and I have literally zero idea if I can safely google that or not :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
^^^ Revive is some kind of injector, I haven't used it in a long while but its pretty easy to get working. I beleive currently you just open the oculus home, then launch revive, and it just works but don't quote me on that. Some revive reviews are fairly positive thus far in temrs of the new games.

Ciaphas posted:

bargefink was right

Please stop posting and perpetuating this stupid bullshit.

I'm glad everyone is able to be on board the motion control train. And thanks to SteamVR being universal and Revive seemingly working well we can all enjoy all this content together!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Please stop posting and perpetuating this stupid bullshit.

I'm glad everyone is able to be on board the motion control train. And thanks to SteamVR being universal and Revive seemingly working well we can all enjoy all this content together!

Soz :shobon:

(alternate shitpost: which bullshit, the rift v vive thing or the name bargefink :v:)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I did say extremely, just being there is enough to get me all bothered even if I'm muted and deafened

Which says a lot about VR, really, now that I think about it, because sure as hell talking in a match of a more traditional game doesn't bother me (much)

You're right. VR invites a degree of presence when you're standing in front of someone that can be intimidating if you get anxious in social situations with strangers.

This is also why devs should be taking the possibility of sexual harassment in VR seriously. I remember that story came out and the internet commentariat (aka dudes) were scoffing at the idea. They shouldn't be.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am A-OK with bargefink, its a good name. Its the rift v vive poo poo, and the "knifegrab(bargefink) was right nonsense"

We're all at parity right now. I could write an essay on why I still don't like exclusives but its tread ground and being dealt with by third parties.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Arizona Sunshine needs some more work. Grabbing things is very awkward and aiming feels off compared to games like Brookhaven.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AndrewP posted:

You're right. VR invites a degree of presence when you're standing in front of someone that can be intimidating if you get anxious in social situations with strangers.

This is also why devs should be taking the possibility of sexual harassment in VR seriously. I remember that story came out and the internet commentariat (aka dudes) were scoffing at the idea. They shouldn't be.

Was that the one where the guy did "research" by sexually harassing women in VR?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone dived into quill yet? Their quick tutorial isn't really helpful. Are there plugins? "Straight line" is the only primitive? Is there any way to lock the workspace so that you only zoom/rotate a single layer or what you're working on? It seems really weird and frankly nauseating to rotate/size the entire world. I want to craft objects, layer them and then size/place them into the world. Maybe I'm trying to use it "wrong"? Even trying to draw the ground to make a meadow was really difficult to me, way more than I was expecting. I'm sure there are tricks and it has to be similar enough to tiltbrush for techniques to transfer over, are there any good youtubers going through it?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Was that the one where the guy did "research" by sexually harassing women in VR?

It was the one where one woman's account of harassment in QuiVr in prompted the devs to patch in some pretty robust muting/blocking features, which probably should be standard for every game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

This person's report of being virtually groped in QuiVr, to which the QuiVr devs responded with their anti-harassment ideas.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
so uh... some features of Arizona Sunshine are timed-exclusive locked to i7 processors Intel® Core™ i7 Central Processing Units only.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/342180/discussions/0/152391285458876458/?ctp=2

Arizona Sunshine Developer posted:

Working with Intel allowed us to create even more content than we originally planned, including these modes and the physics systems in the game, making Arizona Sunshine one of the richest VR experiences possible. We want to give 5th, 6th and 7th gen Intel® Core™ i7 owners first glimpse into these additional modes, but they’ll be available March 6, 2017 to everyone who owns the game

I'm not even sure how to properly express how idiotic that is.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Just so I know for tonight, how does using Oculus stuff with the Vive actually work? All I know is the phrase 'ReVive' and I have literally zero idea if I can safely google that or not :v:

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

Installation guide pretty much explains how to get it working and here's the link to download it.

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If anyone is wondering if they should get the oculus earbuds, I recommend them. I haven't really tested out the sound quality yet (they are good enough that I didn't immediately pan them) but they are much nicer for putting on the headset. I don't know about other people, but the headphones that come with the rift always flop back down whenver I try to put it on. I flip them out, pull back on the strap and then they flop back down. The ear buds just hang down. You can put the headset on, put them in your ear and you're good to go. They come with three different sized rubber pieces.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So the haptics in the Touch are supposed to be prettttty subtle, right? Or did I get a bad pair? I expected console controller rumble and it's far less than that. Which is fine, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, I bought a 33-foot Corning Fiber Optic Thunderbolt Cable. Time to see if I can plug a Displayport to Mini-DP into my graphics card, plug this thunderbolt cable to it, and plug a mini-DP to HDMI on the other end and get the Rift to work. It would be sweet if it works as an ultra-light ultra-flexible extension cable with no crosstalk. They have videos where they tie the cable in a tight knot and run over it with an office chair, so it's way more durable than your typical optical cables.

mad.radhu posted:

so uh... some features of Arizona Sunshine are timed-exclusive locked to i7 processors Intel® Core™ i7 Central Processing Units only.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/342180/discussions/0/152391285458876458/?ctp=2

I'm not even sure how to properly express how idiotic that is.

Yeah there's i5 Kaby Lake processors that are faster than the slowest i7 Broadwell, I'm sure. It's crazy if Intel gave them a payout to perpetuate their dumb marketing tactics. I'm an IT guy and I peel off the "i5/i7" sticks from all our laptops, it has completely stopped the dozen "how come my coworker has a (two year older) i7 and I don't?!" complaints I'd get each day.

Now, if the physics are legitimately optimized around hyperthreading (which i5's don't have) I could understand that kinda, but the timed exclusive hints otherwise.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 7, 2016

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah there's i5 Kaby Lake processors that are faster than the slowest i7 Broadwell, I'm sure. It's crazy if Intel gave them a payout to perpetuate their dumb marketing tactics. I'm an IT guy and I peel off the "i5/i7" sticks from all our laptops, it has completely stopped the dozen "how come my coworker has a (two year older) i7 and I don't?!" complaints I'd get each day.

Now, if the physics are legitimately optimized around hyperthreading (which i5's don't have) I could understand that kinda, but the timed exclusive hints otherwise.

I mean the dev literally just says "We want to give them first glimpse" and the fact that he's using Intel Lawyer approved copyright and trademark symbols makes it pretty clear that he signed some contract for timed exclusivity

Really dumb imo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Depends on how much money they paid him and it also depends on how long his game lasts.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I think a lot of the scoffing came from the clickbait mills saying this is "sexual assault."

Harassment, ok. Assault? Uhh....

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Eh, I have no problem with game devs bilking money off gullible Intel executives who think that this will somehow be a positive story for them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I never gave Rec Room an honest try because I have an extremely nervous/anxious social disposition; ditto Onward.

I had a blast with Rec Room dodgeball but honestly I think you could never say anything in Rec Room (or maybe just wave or nod) and no one would look at you twice.

Keep in mind that 95% of people playing Rec Room seem to be the nerdy awkward rich white adult male demographic. We're like a step away from Google Glassholes on the entitlement scale, who cares what we think? No need to be anxious is what I'm saying, it's very chill in Rec Room.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm tempted to fork that and just rename it to 'Unvive' like it should have been in the first place.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

Signed up for an OR demo at best buy on Wednesday. I probably shouldn't have, because I'll just want to get a HMD more.

What a loving waste of time. "we're installing new games today so you can't play anything. But here, put this on and you can stand in a room and hold controllers to get a feel for it." And the cords are all running to the PC in a cabinet, so they're pretty short. I got to move around about 2 feet without running into the table or til I felt the cord pulling. Also the screen door effect was about what I expected (bad), definitely doesn't feel polished. The touch controllers were pretty neat though, seemed to track really well and the feedback was interesting. Hard to really tell though in a 3 minute demo where I couldn't move around or interact with a single goddamn thing.

Dude showing it had no enthusiasm for it, definitely wasn't the target market. Just a salesman telling me when I could come back and try games and make sure it was with him there. :rolleyes:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Keep in mind that 95% of people playing Rec Room seem to be the nerdy awkward rich white adult male demographic. We're like a step away from Google Glassholes on the entitlement scale, who cares what we think? No need to be anxious is what I'm saying, it's very chill in Rec Room.
I realized pretty quickly in social VR that I actually don't want to interact at all with the kind of nerdy rear end in a top hat that owns a VR headset in 2016, and then I stopped looking in the mirror and strapped my HMD on.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I'm not super happy with the default setup for Touch (2 cameras facing you from the front). Not being able to turn around in games that were clearly designed for them is very frustrating. VR Sports literally fades to black if you rotate your head around too far.

My tripod and extension cables arrived today, though, so I'm going to try the "opposite corners" setup tonight and see how that improves things.

Games are good, though. Can't wait till the exclusivity wears out so we get more people in all games.

EDIT: Can someone please model some Touch controllers into SteamVR's workshop?

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I've had some pretty good interactions with people in Altspace VR. It's like when I go to a con, I know everyone there is on a similar wavelength. All my friends are nerdy assholes without VR headsets, so it's not much different.

I'm usually a very quiet person, and most people I've ran across in VR aren't exactly social butterflies either. For the most part there seems to be a common understanding of leaving people alone if they aren't talking.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pryce posted:

My tripod and extension cables arrived today, though, so I'm going to try the "opposite corners" setup tonight and see how that improves things.

I did this and it totally improved things. Only problem is it's not ideal for my house right now.

I'll put out the call again because I think it got buried: everyone else also have pretty weak Touch haptics?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What's a game with haptics to test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I did this and it totally improved things. Only problem is it's not ideal for my house right now.

I'll put out the call again because I think it got buried: everyone else also have pretty weak Touch haptics?

My haptics are so weak, I can't feel them at all (because my package is currently delayed for an indeterminate amount of time aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA)